PDA

View Full Version : Why did Big 12 Trademark the Big 14 name?

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted.....

Does anyone have any idea why the Big 12 trademarked the "Big 14" - Is this just business as usual as they claim or do they have something up their sleeve???

starclassic tama
7/30/2010, 12:51 PM
probably just a precautionary measure in case the conference ended up expanding

Sooner-N-KS
7/30/2010, 12:51 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted.....

Does anyone have any idea why the Big 12 trademarked the "Big 14" - Is this just business as usual as they claim or do they have something up their sleeve???

Well, the current 10 plus TCU, Rice, Houston and North Texas. I imagine there will also be a large, single star in the logo.

yankee
7/30/2010, 12:52 PM
Well, the current 10 plus TCU, Rice, Houston and North Texas.

lolwut?

Sooner-N-KS
7/30/2010, 12:52 PM

Good schools aren't exactly dying to get in right now.

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 12:54 PM
I was thinking maybe they are sitting back this season and looking who will best fit in our conference when Nebraska and Colorado leave next year.

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 12:56 PM

You are probably right - I just read that they first trademarked the name in 1997 - they just renewed it this year.

HBick
7/30/2010, 01:01 PM
The only long term solution I see for the Big 12 would be expansion, and 14 teams fuels lots of speculation. BYU and TCU are the popular choices, but if they could pry Arky away from the SEC who would be the 14th team? I only see one Texas school in the event of expansion (read TCU).

If the Big 12 could guarantee a massive television contract it could work in favor to land Arkansas. Geographic location is a big factor, Arky is the farthest team from everyone else in the SEC and almost every recruit they go after they are in the backyards of LSU, Bama, Georgia and Florida. They might be able to recruit better in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas if they headed west

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 01:05 PM
The only long term solution I see for the Big 12 would be expansion, and 14 teams fuels lots of speculation. BYU and TCU are the popular choices, but if they could pry Arky away from the SEC who would be the 14th team? I only see one Texas school in the event of expansion (read TCU).

If the Big 12 could guarantee a massive television contract it could work in favor to land Arkansas. Geographic location is a big factor, Arky is the farthest team from everyone else in the SEC and almost every recruit they go after they are in the backyards of LSU, Bama, Georgia and Florida. They might be able to recruit better in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas if they headed west

I agree - If I remember correctly - they (Arkansas) were mad they were left out when we expanded to 12 - but I could be wrong. I think Memphis would be good for B-ball and I heard they were lobbying to get in. I even read something about Cinn. But that seems far out.

oumartin
7/30/2010, 01:17 PM
Well, the current 10 plus TCU, Rice, Houston and North Texas. I imagine there will also be a large, longhorn logo in the middle.

fixed

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 01:19 PM
Well, the current 10 plus TCU, Rice, Houston and North Texas. I imagine there will also be a large, single star in the logo.

I can see maybe TCU - but any more Tx schools does not offer any new markets - so how would they help?

badger
7/30/2010, 01:27 PM
Here is a sports editor's take on it here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/post.aspx?blogid=8&entry_id=6138)

In a nutshell, they register the name as a precaution, much like I'm sure some of you out there camp on domain names just in case somebody wants to pay lots of money to you someday for it. :D

cheezyq
7/30/2010, 01:32 PM
I agree - If I remember correctly - they (Arkansas) were mad they were left out when we expanded to 12 - but I could be wrong. I think Memphis would be good for B-ball and I heard they were lobbying to get in. I even read something about Cinn. But that seems far out.

Actually, Arky left the SWC in 1991, announced in 1990. The idea of the Big 12 didn't exist until 1994 and the first season for the Big 12 was 1996. So Arky was actually the catalyst for realignment back then.

ddub0224
7/30/2010, 01:51 PM
What they need to do is go on the offensive and get Arizona and Arizona State. That gets it back to 12 and then look to maybe add TCU and BYU if they want 14. Arkansas and LSU fit geographically but they will never leave the SEC.

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 01:56 PM
What they need to do is go on the offensive and get Arizona and Arizona State. That gets it back to 12 and then look to maybe add TCU and BYU if they want 14. Arkansas and LSU fit geographically but they will never leave the SEC.

Those are well rounded schools which would fit well into the big 12 - They just seem to be far away.... Now that I think about it - they are probably closer to us than Washington and Oregon.

swardboy
7/30/2010, 02:30 PM
Quick! Someone copyright "Big 20"!!

tfoolry
7/30/2010, 03:09 PM
That's an opportunist move. They should trademark them all (Big 13, 15, 16, 17 etc) & then sell the rights to other conferences; lockdown the website addresses too.

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 03:35 PM

Word on the street is that this conference was going to tie-in its championship team to the Alamo Bowl.

C&CDean
7/30/2010, 03:38 PM
Those are well rounded schools which would fit well into the big 12 - They just seem to be far away.... Now that I think about it - they are probably closer to us than Washington and Oregon.

Probably closer? I bet you sucked at geography.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 04:11 PM
DEAN
are you telling me that fayetteville is closer than seattle ?????

ndpruitt03
7/30/2010, 04:20 PM
Here's 4 teams I would add. Boise, BYU, Arkansas(if we get the money), and Memphis or Lousville.

I would NEVER want to add TCU. Why take another Baylor or Tech?

prrriiide
7/30/2010, 04:21 PM
IF...HYPOTHETICALLY...the BigWhateverWeAreNow decided to expand to 14 teams, I think BYU and TCU are no-brainers. I think Arky could be seduced without an enormous effort. For the 14th, well, it should be Rice. My reasoning is simple: 1) they are the best academic school possible. Adding a school with the academic standing of Rice to the conference lifts the entire conference. 2) as often as * plays them they might as well be a conference game for them. 3) I don't view them as being any worse than ISU or pre-Griffin Baylor. 4) we have to keep the ratio of good teams to doormats consistent with other conferences. :D

ndpruitt03
7/30/2010, 04:23 PM
Why do people want to add sucky Texas teams? If TCU, Rice, Houston are added to the Big 12 they add nothing to the demographics of the conference because we already have all of Texas and if TCU joins the Big 12 they would fall apart like Baylor did. Baylor was up and coming before the Big 12 formed. They haven't been to a Bowl game in over 15 years.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 04:29 PM
losing Grant Teaff as coach is probably what caused Baylor to drop.

i like Baylor because every 2 years going to the game in waco makes for a nice trip. only about 1/2 as far as norman.

ndpruitt03
7/30/2010, 04:32 PM
You trade Baylor with TCU and put TCU in the Big 12 back then, Baylor is the team that is in TCU's spot right now. TCU is the team we destroy every year.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 05:46 PM
i don't see that.

silverwheels
7/30/2010, 05:49 PM
i don't see that.

Somebody has to be the doormat. It would be them or OSU.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 05:53 PM
yep, but what would make Baylor suddenly good.??

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 05:55 PM
did TCU once beat OU because they were not in the big 12??

silverwheels
7/30/2010, 05:56 PM
yep, but what would make Baylor suddenly good.??

Depends on their coaching, but they wouldn't have to face Big 12 competition every week and they'd still be recruiting the same talent base. Their odds of succeeding would certainly be higher.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 06:06 PM
assume their coaching would be the same, mainly (baylor), not Grant Teaff.

probably their best coach ever.

Sooner-N-KS
7/30/2010, 06:37 PM
I can see maybe TCU - but any more Tx schools does not offer any new markets - so how would they help?

I didn't say that they would help. I was simply pointing out that the Big 8 schools have allowed the 4 Texas schools to take everything over. Plus Texas would love to be in a division with those weak schools to beat up on.

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 07:47 PM
I didn't say that they would help. I was simply pointing out that the Big 8 schools have allowed the 4 Texas schools to take everything over. Plus Texas would love to be in a division with those weak schools to beat up on.

I got you. It did seem we were running behind TX to much as well. No one wants to loose the OU - TX rivalry but it would have been nice if we would have "grew a pair" when the realignment talks were taking place -
We sure do not need any more TX schools for sure. We should choose out of BYU, Arkansas, Memphis, Louisville - and maybe the Arizona schools and Boise State - if we added teams

JRAM
7/30/2010, 08:35 PM
TCU won't be considered. The other teams would not allow another Texas team in, plus it would be a negative for recruiting in Texass.

texaspokieokie
7/31/2010, 09:46 AM
can't see memphie & louisville.