PDA

View Full Version : iPhone update 4.0.1

Lott's Bandana
7/30/2010, 12:24 PM
Ok, I went from 4 bars to 1.5, without moving the phone after the update.

AT&T is going to catch a lot of grief because of Steve's math error.

HBick
7/30/2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah I've noticed at my house on the NE corner of campus (supposedly upgraded in the last few weeks due to game days) and I only have 1-2 bars at any given time. I was downtown earlier today and had 3 bars. I'm heading to Dallas in a few, I'll be curious to see how many bars I average on the drive down. I drove back from Denver last week and had one bar almost the entire trip and was on Edge, my cousin was on Verizon and had full service with 3G except for one area in the middle of nowhere I70

soonerboomer93
7/30/2010, 01:14 PM
I went from showing no bars at the house to showing 2

Whatever it is, this "error" has been around for a while. I was showing no bars at the house before the 4.0 update.

jkjsooner
7/30/2010, 01:14 PM
I'd rather have an accurate representation of my signal strength.

Then again, that begs the question on what is correct. Is it some type of linear scale or logarithmic scale? I'd say whatever makes it consistent with most other phones...

Sooner_Havok
7/30/2010, 03:32 PM
Ok, I went from 4 bars to 1.5, without moving the phone after the update.

AT&T is going to catch a lot of grief because of Steve's math error.

Steve is a little upset with att right now it would seem. He had to try a radical antenna design to try and get a better signal on att's pathetic network. Steve has enabled att to make a ton of money, but they put none of that money into fixing their network. (Who still drops more call in Norman now then they did before the hail storm?)

If I had to guess, Steve is tired of covering for att's ***, and he is really looking forward to the iphone release on verizon, or t-mobile/sprint.

SoonerStormchaser
7/30/2010, 05:55 PM
Is it bad that I have gay bars on my regular IPhone 3G?

KABOOKIE
7/30/2010, 06:10 PM
Should have gone with Verizon Stevie boy.

Crucifax Autumn
7/30/2010, 06:10 PM
Is it bad that all I have is a black rotary phone?

SoonerStormchaser
7/30/2010, 06:37 PM
You are one racist bastage Crux!

Sooner_Havok
7/30/2010, 07:26 PM
Should have gone with Verizon Stevie boy.

He wanted to, but big red wouldn't play ball. Verizon didn't like the terms Steve presented them, att agreed.

soonerboomer93
7/30/2010, 09:39 PM
sorry, but you're silly if you think verizon would have fared any better. iPhone users have on average higher data consumption then other smart phone users.

I might get 1 dropped call a month in Houston, no seriously.

That Radical antenna design was known to drastically drop signal when being held lightly in the left hand before the phone was released.

All cell phones will drop signal if held in certain ways, this has been happening since they internalized the antennas. The problem is that it's dropping more signal when held in a way commonly used.

CobraKai
7/30/2010, 10:24 PM
My iPhone drops calls all the time. I have had AT&T phones before that did not. My
Old Windows AT&T phone never dropped calls, even when I was living in Mexico City.

That said, I do like my iPhone and don't plan on replacing it.

Sooner_Havok
7/31/2010, 01:49 PM
sorry, but you're silly if you think verizon would have fared any better. iPhone users have on average higher data consumption then other smart phone users.

Report: Verizon Smartphones Consume More Data Than iPhones
Authored by Mark Hefflinger on July 30, 2010 - 8:24am.
Houston - Smartphones operating on Verizon Wireless' (NYSE: VZ) network are on average consuming 25% more data monthly than iPhones (NASD: AAPL) on AT&T's (NYSE: T) network, according to a report from Validas.

Average data consumption by Verizon smartphones is 421 MB per month, compared with 338 MB per month for AT&T iPhones.

"The key detail in this study that drives the average is that, by percentage, nearly twice as many Verizon Wireless Smartphone users are consuming 500 megabytes to 1 gigabyte per month compared to AT&T iPhone users," said Ed Finegold, EVP of analytics at Validas.

More than 11% of Verizon smartphone users fall into this category, versus just 5.6% of iPhone users.

Validas found that more than 4% of Verizon smartphones consumer over 2GB of data per month, versus 1.6% of iPhones, while just two-tenths of 1% of both Verizon smartphones and iPhones use more than 5GB per month.

link (http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2010/07/30/report-verizon-smartphones-consume-more-data-iphones)

OUMallen
8/2/2010, 08:46 AM
I drop calls constantly out I-40 west once I get past El Reno. Didn' thappen with my blackberry when I was onTMobile. What I seem to notice is that the phone has a big, big problem shifting from one tower to the next. It will sit on one or no bars, but hold ATT service smoehow, for an extended period of time, then finally blink up to 5 bars magically.

StoopTroup
8/2/2010, 11:34 AM
I have a black IPhone 3gs with a black silicon cover for protection.

JohnnyMack
8/2/2010, 11:40 AM
I have a black IPhone 3gs with a black silicon cover for protection.

Is it ribbed?

StoopTroup
8/2/2010, 11:43 AM
Is it ribbed?

No it's smooth short and stubby but the girth could be consdered substantial by some folks.

JohnnyMack
8/2/2010, 11:44 AM
No it's smooth short and stubby but the girth could be consdered substantial by some folks.

:hot:

soonerboomer93
8/2/2010, 01:47 PM
link (http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2010/07/30/report-verizon-smartphones-consume-more-data-iphones)

Interesting, I had just read a survey with the opposite results, wish I could remember where. Their indication was that the Droid X was actually the first phone on Verizon that was showing the high data usage the iPhone does.