PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Jenni

Soonerwake
7/29/2010, 12:53 PM
http://newsok.com/jenni-carlson-meet-texas-quarterback-garrett-gilbert/article/3480420?custom_click=lead_story_title

Maybe I missed something, but why does Jenni Carlson, or the DOK for that matter, think that Oklahomans really care about a feel-good piece on the probable starting QB for the University of Texas? Has the Austin paper picked up the story of Quentin Carter being a good guy or Landry Jones transition from back-up to starter? I don't think so.

And no, I didn't read it so maybe it contains some really good info that I'm missing. :rolleyes:

sooner94
7/29/2010, 01:18 PM
I hear people have seen his mom feeding him chicken, and he's a kid that does everything right.

KantoSooner
7/29/2010, 01:28 PM
I.
Am.
New.
Here.
Why.
Does.
Jenni.
Hate.
Paragraphs?

OK2U
7/29/2010, 01:32 PM
The Texas papers are full of OU stories.
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

HBick
7/29/2010, 01:38 PM
There are more and more Texas alums moving to OK due to jobs with Devon and Chessy. During the Big XII baseball tourney there were quite a few of them who just took half days to go watch the Whorns.

Plus they need subscribers, no newspaper is doing well, especially one as shi**y as the DOK.

NMSooner'80
7/29/2010, 01:39 PM
http://newsok.com/jenni-carlson-meet-texas-quarterback-garrett-gilbert/article/3480420?custom_click=lead_story_title

Maybe I missed something, but why does Jenni Carlson, or the DOK for that matter, think that Oklahomans really care about a feel-good piece on the probable starting QB for the University of Texas? Has the Austin paper picked up the story of Quentin Carter being a good guy or Landry Jones transition from back-up to starter? I don't think so.

And no, I didn't read it so maybe it contains some really good info that I'm missing. :rolleyes:

I think they occasionally like to "prove they're not a bunch of OU homers," even though it'll never satisfy the OU-haters in their readership.

And, FWIW, the Texas papers used to be full of OU stories back in my teen/young adult days (early 70's into the early 80's) - stuff like "Imagine if Billy Sims had been a Longhorn (when he never considered them much), and the typical "OU cheats" and "OU is nothing without Texans" crapola.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/29/2010, 01:49 PM
That's why I don't read the newspaper, because it's garbage, and the editor that let it come out is garbage...

soonerboomer93
7/29/2010, 02:54 PM
well, and it is Big 12 media days

soonerborn30
7/29/2010, 03:15 PM
I didn't really need any more proof, but after reading that all I can think is

"God this chick sucks"

MeMyself&Me
7/29/2010, 03:31 PM
I thought it was particularly telling that when the entire national media blasted Gundy for his rant that all the local media remained relatively quiet in contrast.

Mississippi Sooner
7/29/2010, 03:35 PM
I thought it was particularly telling that when the entire national media blasted Gundy for his rant that all the local media remained relatively quiet in contrast.

Bingo!

Several people in this area tried talking crap about Gundy after that, but I told them to try reading some of her stuff before you pass judgment.

And you can.

Usually read it.

One.

Word.

At a.

Time.

Breadburner
7/29/2010, 03:39 PM
This makes me want to puke..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Dog Madsen
7/29/2010, 03:47 PM
I didn't really need any more proof, but after reading that all I can think is

"God this chick sucks"

THIS.

Dan Thompson
7/29/2010, 06:57 PM
Has he ever had a McDonalds?

Can he take a hit from, let's say Carter:)

Harris County Sooner
7/29/2010, 07:19 PM
I really like the way she looks.

Now that she has contact lenses and has fixed her hair.

Now that she has lost weight and learned to use makeup.

While her teeth have always looked perfect.

Almost perfect.

SoonerShark
7/29/2010, 08:29 PM
I don't mind reading nice things about human beings, on my team or not. We are all much more alike than different but we sometimes lose that perspective. If we strive to build bridges rather than fences we invest in kindness rather than animosity. As a hypocritical aside, Tim Tebow still reminds me of Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the Beast being followed around by fawning men. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

cccasooner2
7/29/2010, 08:35 PM
"Big 12 football: Bull's-eye on Garrett Gilbert "

Deserving of a squatting ovation.

SoonerShark
7/29/2010, 08:36 PM
The style used is more speech like. One thing that seems odd about the DOK is Berry Trammel's grammatical adventures, which is inconsistent with a newspaper reporter, though I want him to do well and like many of his sentiments.

badger
7/29/2010, 09:52 PM
I hear people have seen his mom feeding him chicken, and he's a kid that does everything right.

I am writing a feature on a quarterback from a major Big 12 university once again.

Garrett got benched in favor of Case McCoy and he threw his hat down in disgust on the sideline after a Case interception thrown. I have no context for it, because I am just watching what ESPN showed me, so I will take it at face value. Garrett is obviously pouting.

And now, Garrett is laughing on the sideline for some odd reason. I was not at the game to see that Garrett was laughing because opposing fans were taunting me and my teammates told them to STFU. However, since I did not actually fly out to the game, I only saw Garrett laugh and therefore he must not be taking football seriously anymore now that he is not starting.

And someone told me that Garrett's mom was holding onto a box of chicken and that Garrett ate some of it. Therefore, Garrett's mom is feeding Garrett chicken and is coddling him. What a momma's boy. No, of course I have no idea that the chicken was Garrett's to begin with and that Garrett was sharing it with his mom, not the other way around. Once again, I WAS NOT AT THE GAME.

Oooo, what a great column idea. Nobody will know that I wasn't actually at the game and just writing based on second-hand information and what I saw on ESPN's broadcast.

:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
7/29/2010, 09:55 PM

Thisthread is worthless without this gem IMHO.

aoMmbUmKN0E

GottaHavePride
7/29/2010, 11:41 PM
So, I pasted the entire text of that article into I Write Like (http://iwl.me), and it claims Jenni writes like Issac Asimov....

GottaHavePride
7/29/2010, 11:43 PM
On the other hand, it says I write like H.P. Lovecraft.

WTF?

MrJimBeam
7/30/2010, 05:48 AM
I write like Stephen King, which may explain why he hasn't had anything good in several years.

soonerborn30
7/30/2010, 08:23 AM
On the other hand, it says I write like H.P. Lovecraft.

WTF?

H.P. Lovecraft is awesome. That should be a compliment!

Mississippi Sooner
7/30/2010, 08:33 AM
Lovecraft made several generations of nerds believe there really was a book called The Necronomicon. The guy was good.

GottaHavePride
7/30/2010, 09:46 AM
I know, I just wouldn't have expected that. I don't even read Lovecraft.

Mississippi Sooner
7/30/2010, 09:51 AM
I know, I just wouldn't have expected that. I don't even read Lovecraft.

Actually, neither do I.

It said I write like Edgar Allan Poe. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or a sign that I need to see a shrink.

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 10:54 AM
I'd check mine, but I'm worried that it might come back with Walt Whitman or Truman Capote.

PalmBeachSooner
7/30/2010, 12:57 PM
We haven't hated on Jenni in like forever. I had actually forgotten all about her.