PDA

View Full Version : Moral Dilemma

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2010, 11:18 AM
If you knew OU football players were breaking NCAA rules and state/federal laws, would you say something (to anybody)?

Ya'know, just wondering :O Because all of our players are angels.

soonerborn30
7/29/2010, 11:22 AM
Tough call. I've seen things before that were questionable, but never said anything. As I get older, I tend to think I'd probably have to blow the whistle if I knew that something was wrong.

Serge Ibaka
7/29/2010, 11:24 AM
haha, well: it depends upon which laws and regulations they would be breaking.

In Madu's case, for instance, I would have just offered him a ride home. Also, I would have asked him to drunkenly relive that awesome run in the 2008 Missou butt-kicking.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2010, 11:28 AM
Tough call. I've seen things before that were questionable, but never said anything. As I get older, I tend to think I'd probably have to blow the whistle if I knew that something was wrong.

Well, most underage kids drink. I really don't think this is a big issue. Dumb, yeah, for a kid with a full scholarship. Some kids smoke. I have a little more issue with this, because I take pride in the fact that we're not :texan: . Dumb, but I probably wouldn't say anything. Now when a kid knows he's borderline breaking NCAA rules--putting the university at risk....:confused:

Oh, all hypothetical, of course :)

Sooner04
7/29/2010, 11:36 AM
If you knew OU football players were breaking NCAA rules and state/federal laws, would you say something (to anybody).
I didn't.

But you've got to know your role. This crap goes on everywhere, and do you really want to blow the whistle on something you love when you know it goes on just up the road too at a place you hate?

olevetonahill
7/29/2010, 11:37 AM
If it were just themselves they stood to hurt id say let em go
The entire School ? Nail their ***

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 11:40 AM
Without knowing specifics, nobody on a message board can even get close to giving you a good answer

olevetonahill
7/29/2010, 11:44 AM
Without knowing specifics, nobody on a message board can even get close to giving you a good answer

Thot I just did :P
If said person is only putting himself at risk then let him have a ballIf hes putting others at risk then he needs to be shut down
pretty simple to me ;)

KantoSooner
7/29/2010, 11:47 AM
My personal? I'd tell the player that he had 48 hours before an 'anonymous' letter went the athletic department and that he'd likely be better off self reporting.
If it's a gray area, let him discuss it with Stoops. If it's not, he has the option to stand pat and defend himself or resign.

And I'd never take it outside the athletic department unless dangerous illegality (bank robbing or rape type stuff) was involved. In those cases, the police are involved right now.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 11:48 AM
Well if he/she is competing on a team, then they are putting others at risk....Reggie Bush

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2010, 11:48 AM

hypothetical!!!!!

I'm not a snitch.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 11:53 AM
I'd tell merv johnson

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2010, 11:57 AM
I'd tell merv johnson

+1

TexasLidig8r
7/29/2010, 12:00 PM
This thread has been reported to the NCAA.

;)

:D

PalmBeachSooner
7/29/2010, 12:00 PM
If you knew OU football players were breaking NCAA rules and state/federal laws, would you say something (to anybody)?

Depends on your Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. If you are an SJ then you tend to want to do what's best for the organization. If you are an FP then you don't take rules all that seriously unless they are part of your personal value system, in which case you would turn them in otherwise you want to do what is best for people.

Sorry, about the lame psycho answer but my company just made me take a class on the subject.

Lott's Bandana
7/29/2010, 01:11 PM
What if you are an FU?

swardboy
7/29/2010, 02:01 PM
My personal? I'd tell the player that he had 48 hours before an 'anonymous' letter went the athletic department and that he'd likely be better off self reporting.
If it's a gray area, let him discuss it with Stoops. If it's not, he has the option to stand pat and defend himself or resign.

And I'd never take it outside the athletic department unless dangerous illegality (bank robbing or rape type stuff) was involved. In those cases, the police are involved right now.

^ Excellent...something like: Dear OU Athlete, I love my Sooners, and hate anyone/anything that jeopardizes excellence in our programs. Your actions are jeopardizing our excellence. You have 48 hours to self-report to Stoops or the A.D. will know what I know....Anonymously Yours

TexasLidig8r
7/29/2010, 02:18 PM
Depends on your Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. If you are an SJ then you tend to want to do what's best for the organization. If you are an FP then you don't take rules all that seriously unless they are part of your personal value system, in which case you would turn them in otherwise you want to do what is best for people.

Sorry, about the lame psycho answer but my company just made me take a class on the subject.

ENTP

Jacie
7/29/2010, 02:57 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me . . .

XFollower
7/29/2010, 03:09 PM
What if you knew about Bomar's faux job?

Sooner04
7/29/2010, 03:14 PM
What if you knew about Bomar's faux job?
I'd report that. Hell, we've got a Heisman Trophy winner on the bench. Gotta clear the way for him or he'll never play.

ashley
7/29/2010, 03:48 PM
The coaches want and need to know.

SoonerTank
7/29/2010, 04:16 PM

I think you need to lower your morals! jk :D

SoonerLB
7/29/2010, 04:34 PM
I can't decide whether to put this topic in the Ignorant or the Stupid file.

badger
7/29/2010, 04:43 PM
Go ahead and tell the athletic department if you want. They'll keep you anonymous and get to the bottom of it. They will know it really is an NCAA violation or not (if you saw a player having Thanksgiving at Jim Ross' house without purchasing his share of the turkey dinner, that is perfectly fine) and will handle it accordingly.

Don't feel morally dilemma'd. There's a possibility that it isn't an NCAA violation. For example, if :stunned: saw Dez hanging out with Deion before it got reported to the NCAA, :stunned: could have told [hairGel] or the OSU athletic department, and Dez could have been educated NOT TO LIE TO THE NCAA, because it wasn't a violation.

Alas, :stunned: did not and Dez missed half the season and OSU was doomed.

Shame on you, :stunned:! You doomed OSU during their only potentially good season!

:D seriously though, go ahead and report whatever it is.

soonerborn30
7/29/2010, 05:33 PM
Jim Ross references are always tops in my book. Spek from a n00b!

Leroy Lizard
7/29/2010, 06:20 PM
RE: Violations of the law. You do the same as if it was any other person.
RE: NCAA violations. You contact the athletic department. At that point, it's on them to do the right thing.

oudavid1
7/29/2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, absolutely, i want the best program for my team in every way. We are Oklahoma.....that means something.

PLaw
7/29/2010, 06:55 PM

I'd have to know for darn sure that it whatever it was, was fact. Sometimes the things we see aren't actually what we saw. For example, I was in downtown Big D about 25 years ago and somebody had put a sack of empty beer bottles in front of my car. I heard a dragging noise, got out and moved the sack to the side. Now these do gooders were in the same parking lot and saw me set the sack down. They were convinced that I was littering and started calling the freakin' cops. What they saw wasn't actually what they thought they saw.

After fact is established, then I would reported to the OU AD's compliance office and be done with it. I think it goes better for the institution if they are actively pursuing compliance instead of doing their best ostrich imitation.

Boomer