PDA

View Full Version : DeMarco Murray talking with 1430's Chris Plank at Media Days:

goingoneight
7/29/2010, 12:17 AM
When asked about returning kickoffs:

"I love to do it, I've done that ever since I started playing football. I hope, we'll see if Coach Stoops lets me again this year."

Now, a couple of things...

Remember that our team did NOTHING in the KOR department last year. NOTHING. So much for the argument that all you need is a fast guy back there. We had two of our fastest guys back there. It takes vision and skill to be great.

Broyles? That was punt returns.

As for the folks who claim it's too dangerous... how is it anymore dangerous than running between the tackles and catching swing passes?

First injury: DM was on the "hands" team. If OUr team is down, needs an onside kick to preserve a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RUN (ah-ahem... 2007 at Tech)... I would hope that we throw out the argument about who we're gonna hurt and have the best guys out there. Everybody else in the country would agree with me.

Second injury: Opening kickoff of the 2008 BIG 12 CCG, Murray takes a helmet-shot to the knee. Again, how can we prevent this from happening to anybody? Answer: we can't. If we're going to sideline OUr best players to protect them, then Broyles needs to sit out for the whole game instead of crossing the middle and returning punts as a slot-receiver and returnman.

Don't mistake me for jumping on our fans, I'm merely pointing out that Murray and Broyles appear to clearly be two of the best returnmen in the country, and have been for three years running (I would say). I would love nothing better than to see a couple of new guys with that special ability step it up and dominate. But truth is, Stoops's best teams feature his premier athletes on special teams. So who knows? Maybe Franks and Finch can be the speedsters we need to improve on last year's silent KOR game? Maybe someone else.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are. Tough decision for Stoops. Put the best guys out there and REALLY shorten the field for a young offense with the risk of injuring fatigued starters or again have long fields to work with and risk turnovers in critical games (like Madu's fumble against Tejas last year). Special teams may only be one play, but we've all seen many times before it could end up being the single-most important play of the game or even the season depending on which way it goes.

I'm just sayin' we benched Dom Franks for Broyles last year... it seems since Murray wants to trot out on special teams, the only reason he's not is Stoops feeling pressure to keep him on offense-only. IMO, Murray's NFL future might best be served as an offensive player and a special-teamer ala Felix Jones.

Remember, Thatcher, Clayton, Bradley, Perkins were all pretty important to their team outside of special teams as well.

(gasps) Discuss.

SoonerShay
7/29/2010, 12:50 AM
I posted something like this on the OUinsider board and had about one person agree with me that DM is an elite KR and should be doing it. Here are some "eye" popping stats I used.

2008 ranked top 5 in Kickoff Returns (Iglesias was good too here, but OMG he was recruited as a WR!)
2009 ranked 83rd in Kickoff Returns

Number 1 scoring offense in the country to 21st and people want Kevin Wilson's head. Landry Jones should be benched, OUr receivers suck and the OLine is pillow soft... etc. Number 3 in total offense to 24th.

It's just crazy to me that in any other category on the team with a fall off that dramatic, and heads would be called for. The gnashing of teeth would be unbearable. Except when it is KR, and then it's, we don't want to get anyone hurt...

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 04:30 AM
Trey Franks? Looks to me this kid may fit the mold as a good ST returner. Besides, he is a burner!

Sooner-N-KS
7/29/2010, 08:01 AM
The potential speed of the collision is what makes kick returning worse than between the tackles.

Do you remember the hits Ronnell made in the Sun Bowl? Think it's a coincidence it happened on kick off coverage?

delhalew
7/29/2010, 08:22 AM
If DM wants to do it, let him rip. He has earned the right to have it his way.

MojoRisen
7/29/2010, 08:25 AM
Trey Franks I heard broke his collarbone - otherwise yeah. I would not have Murry on KO - the chance for injury is too high for your top RB. He is injury prone People are coming at you full speed from 60 yards. The impacts are crazy

rawlingsHOH
7/29/2010, 08:31 AM
The potential speed of the collision is what makes kick returning worse than between the tackles.

Do you remember the hits Ronnell made in the Sun Bowl? Think it's a coincidence it happened on kick off coverage?

It is BY FAR the most violent play in football. Much more so than even the punt return.

The NCAA, citing "player safety" as a reason they tried to shorten the games back in 2006, is a joke. If that was their primary goal, they never would have moved the kick off from the 35 to the 30.

rawlingsHOH
7/29/2010, 08:32 AM
Remember that our team did NOTHING in the KOR department last year. NOTHING.

Yep. We were perhaps the best KR team in the country in 2007 and 2008, and nothing in 2009.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah, its quite a bit of difference when you have guys running down the field full speed trying to tackle you and somebody a few yards off...But here is another stat for you..

Murray has only carried the ball 20 times in a game 4 times...And before you go saying that was the gameplan, watch how many times it was Murray checking himself out of the game..If he is gonna be the back many think he is, he is going to have to carry the ball a lot...BTW, he has lost about 10 lbs to try and regain the speed he has lost, hopefully it helps..

Anyway before we go blaming stuff on the KR's as if the whole problem is at that position, do you remember all the blocks in the back from last year on KR? Many good kick returns were called back or all the times the guys on KR team used the bull fighting technique in their blocking? or how about that OU returned less kicks due to a stronger defense, so there was less opportunities to break one..

If people a healthy DM, to be able to carry the ball 25 times in the 8th or 9th game of the season, then find somebody else to do KR

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 08:37 AM
STEP, who's the two guys you want to see back there?

rawlingsHOH
7/29/2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, its quite a bit of difference when you have guys running down the field full speed trying to tackle you and somebody a few yards off...But here is another stat for you..

Murray has only carried the ball 20 times in a game 4 times...And before you go saying that was the gameplan, watch how many times it was Murray checking himself out of the game..If he is gonna be the back many think he is, he is going to have to carry the ball a lot...BTW, he has lost about 10 lbs to try and regain the speed he has lost, hopefully it helps..

Anyway before we go blaming stuff on the KR's as if the whole problem is at that position, do you remember all the blocks in the back from last year on KR? Many good kick returns were called back or all the times the guys on KR team used the bull fighting technique in their blocking? or how about that OU returned less kicks due to a stronger defense, so there was less opportunities to break one..

If people a healthy DM, to be able to carry the ball 25 times in the 8th or 9th game of the season, then find somebody else to do KR

Right! He's been Captain Helmet Tap since 2007. I have no problem with that or him. Just don't like how ignorant fans would rip Wilson about giving the ball to Chris Brown after Murray had been "tearing it up".

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 08:53 AM
Well, he has had a full year of being some what healthy. He has taken advantage of his first real off-season to focus on trimming down and working his legs and not rehabbing some previous injury. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him in action. He has done what everyone has wanted him to do.... trim down and work on his speed.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 09:09 AM

What concerns me more on kickoffs is not whether we get TD's but just making sure you don't turn the ball over and you need guys who can see the seam and get to it before it closes. in other words good field vision..You can be as fast as you want, but if you lack in field vision, your not gonna be a good KR ..Lord, Iglesias was a pretty slow WR when compared to others but he had good field vision..

Here is where I am arguing with myself...I would like Broyles and Madu...I'm not a Madu guy by any means but I think he could be good enough...Maybe Kenny Stills in Madu's spot...not sure really

Sooner-N-KS
7/29/2010, 09:11 AM

Isn't Finch supposed to be a return guy?

What about Stills or McKay?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 09:12 AM
Well, he has had a full year of being some what healthy. He has taken advantage of his first real off-season to focus on trimming down and working his legs and not rehabbing some previous injury. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him in action. He has done what everyone has wanted him to do.... trim down and work on his speed.

Well like Rawlings said, nobody is faulting him for that, especially considering the injuries...but its the truth that its something he has had to do in the past, so to say we want you to carry the load and be the KR to a guy who hasn't been "that guy" for whatever reason may be too much

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 09:32 AM
I just read a excerpt from Murrays media day interview and he was really high on Finch. Said he has shown a lot during the 7 on 7 drills. This makes me excited. I was pumped about this kid after watching his highlight video. I just like that he is a low center of gravity back with quick feet. I kept hearing that the freshman back that would get the most play would be Clay because of his size. But it sounds like Finch is making some head way.

IronHorseSooner
7/29/2010, 09:34 AM
If Madu's issue has any linger effects, and DM isn't going to be back there, I say go with some combo of Clay, McCay, or Lynn. I would be apprehensive to put Finch, Franks, or Hurst back there due to their size and how violent those hits would be. Whereas Stills has the speed, he may need to phyiscally develop more to absorb that contact. Again, this could happen on any play, but KOs are far more likely to cause damage due to the speed and angles of the impact.

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 09:48 AM
I agree with that. Clay does have about 12lbs on Finch. I will have to see these guys in person or on the TV next to other college players to get a better comparison of their size. But do me a favor and go back and watch Finches highlight tapes. The kid is shifty and has the ability to know how to absorb the hits to regain his momentum.

goingoneight
7/29/2010, 10:47 AM

I don't know if you know this or not, but Ronnell blew up Gerhart and took out their fullback on offense, too. Why did Ronnell hit so hard on ST against Stanford and KU, but nobody else? Because sometimes you get a clean shot.

Speed of collision I'll give you... but barely. Bradford took some pretty big hits against BYU, but we played him til he got hurt, and proceeded to play him again four weeks later.

Fact: turnovers and field position are extremely important. Last year's OU/TX game, and the Nebraska game are proof of it.

IronHorseSooner
7/29/2010, 11:20 AM
But do me a favor and go back and watch Finches highlight tapes. The kid is shifty and has the ability to know how to absorb the hits to regain his momentum.

Thanks. Actually, I did watch him in FLA HS State Championship Game last year against Dwyer (which was choc-full-o' FLA Gators recruits). He was very fast, and could hit the gaps really fast as a KO return man. That being said, the commentators were talking about his size and absorbing the impact on KOs. As I'm convinced that Broyles will leave after this year (especially of we have the season that some think we will have), I believe that either he or Franks will be the PR of the future. Heck, they might do like they did with Clayton and Perkins and rotate the two.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 11:26 AM
KR's in high school and college are a lot different..heck I bet about every WR and RB, thrown in corners and some safeties, returned kicks in high school...The difference is that in college with the speed and size on the kickoff coverage, its gonna take more than just speed to be an elite KR man...in high school, many of these guys were just a lot better athletes than what they played against, and could outrun them or just out athlete them to make the big return...

In college, its field vision and then speed...Its hard to say how good a guy is until he is back returning against Florida State

rawlingsHOH
7/29/2010, 12:14 PM
I agree with that. Clay does have about 12lbs on Finch. I will have to see these guys in person or on the TV next to other college players to get a better comparison of their size. But do me a favor and go back and watch Finches highlight tapes. The kid is shifty and has the ability to know how to absorb the hits to regain his momentum.
5' 11" 192 or 5' 8" 180? Personally, the later sound more durable. But regardless, we saw how Sproles could get it done!

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 12:21 PM
A lot of that is knowing how to take a hit...in the case of sproles, you rarely saw a guy get a good solid hit on him...hence he was more durable, because he didn't provide much opportunity for someone to take him head on..

goingoneight
7/29/2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not trying to start up any kind of arguments, just saying what I heard. And that's a shocking stat, BTW... #1 in 2007, #5 in 2008 and #83 in 2009. Don't give me the block in the back excuse. One, watch any video of Murray and tell me he's not lightyears ahead of Madu and Franks returning kicks... Two, we have got to the worst team in the country for getting flagged for that like five years running now.

Let's hope one of the new guys is the next Antonio Perkins and is content with being a special-teamer only. But let's not pretend we have anything close to a Murray-Broyles 1-2 on KO returns, nor does anyone else in the country.

Situation spelled out: We're up 24-17 on Texas, they score. They kick off to us and we fumble, or at best get a little 10-yard return or so to the 19. There's just under 4:00 left in the game. What happens?

If you count on "Sooner Magic," it's gonna be a long year sucking up three losses in a row to Texas.

I know the opposite end of the spectrum. We get a great player hurt, and the W is not worth the cost of losing three games afterward without him, wondering "what if?"

Special teams may only be one play, but it's the most important play of the game everytime if you mess up. Mack found that out in the aftermath of 2007's average year when nobody with a pulse stepped up on ST. He put "injury prone" and "always tapping his helmet" Shipley in and voila... now it's on the defense dropping an INT that keeps you out of the MNC. They relieved Shipley when Goodwin and Monroe came on a year later.

Hopefully we have some new guys come on strong, but it didn't look too promising with Madu and Hurst in the Spring Game. In fact, it looked worse.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 12:48 PM
in your hypothetical situation you spelled out, that could happen with anybody back there returning kicks...

BTW, I never saw Shipley tap his helmet...the dude had 90 catches then over 100...you don't get that many catches by checking yourself out or being injury prone..and he went to being full time PR in 2009, hence taken off of KR duties...

I have no problems with Murray returning a kick in certain situations ala AD...But again, your asking him to do something he's never consistently done in the run game and adding duties on top of that may be too much

CrimsonCommando
7/29/2010, 01:00 PM
I just tapped on my helmet. :D

birddog
7/29/2010, 01:38 PM
I just tapped on my helmet. :D

I NEED AN ADULT!!

Mazeppa
7/29/2010, 07:35 PM
I can't believe somebody is actually listening to Plank.

oudavid1
7/29/2010, 08:16 PM
Shipley also got replaced by Goodwin who is raw. we all know.

adoniijahsooner
7/29/2010, 08:45 PM
I just read a excerpt from Murrays media day interview and he was really high on Finch. Said he has shown a lot during the 7 on 7 drills. This makes me excited. I was pumped about this kid after watching his highlight video. I just like that he is a low center of gravity back with quick feet. I kept hearing that the freshman back that would get the most play would be Clay because of his size. But it sounds like Finch is making some head way.

Freshman Roy Finch looking to impact this season

The competition for carries behind Murray will be tight.

A host of backs, including Mossis Madu, Jermie Calhoun and Jonathan Miller will have their chances.

But Murray singled out incoming freshman Roy Finch as someone who has shined in 7-on-7 drills this summer and someone he expects to impact the Sooner offense this season.

"Roy is real talented," Murray said. "I think he'll play this year. He's picking up a lot."

Finch, a 5-foot-8, 180-pound scatback out of Niceville, Fla., was rated among the top prep running backs in the country last season.

In high school, Finch displayed the ability to play either running back or in the slot as a receiver, a role Murray said Finch could play this season.

"He's real fast, real quick," Murray said. "He'll have a chance to play."

Read more: http://newsok.com/article/3480365#ixzz0v7rFK0Po

MI Sooner
7/29/2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it's too bad that that Stanford guy got injured on those KR hits Ronnell put on him.

Collisions are NOT what cause the worst injuries, cutting is. And while it's theoretically possible to have worse collisions on kick returns, there's no way a guy with any elusiveness gets hit going full speed by a defender going full speed.

Receivers going over the middle on the other hand, not looking for defenders, now THAT's a way to get lit up. I agree with the OP, let's ban Broyles from running drag routes.

I just don't get it. You can spend an entire week gameplanning for ways to get the ball to guys like Broyles and Murray in the open field. Then you get 10+_returns a game (punt and kick), and you hesitate to put your best open field runners in to return the kicks??? I don't know what the injury rate is on returns -- say five times that of an ordinary play. I think I'd rather have Murray return one kick and give 5 plays to someone else than have some scrub return kicks and Murray get 2 more carries between the tackles, pass block once, and run a swing pattern twice.

gaylordfan1
7/29/2010, 10:08 PM
I guess it has to do with his two injuries coming from ST's. I agree with STEP on this one. There has to be some kind of balance. Either you use him as your premiere back on offense or spread the ball around in the backfield and let him get some returns in. Sounds like a heavy load doing both.

rawlingsHOH
7/29/2010, 10:51 PM
Collisions are NOT what cause the worst injuries, cutting is. And while it's theoretically possible to have worse collisions on kick returns, there's no way a guy with any elusiveness gets hit going full speed by a defender going full speed.

Kickoffs, in general, are the most dangerous part of a football game. Ridiculously high injury rate. Not sure if that trainer still posts here, but he'd tell you the numbers, they account for 30% of injury timeouts and they make up 3% of the game. Or something to that effect.