PDA

View Full Version : good article on the team

pappy
7/28/2010, 06:58 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AlbZ3wx4FOystFVHrGGSaMY5nYcB?slug=jn-stoops072810

my favorite quote is "I'm pretty sure Coach Stoops would say this was one of the best off seasons he's had since he's been here. We prepared with a chip on our shoulder." - Travis Lewis

AZSOONER
7/28/2010, 08:09 PM
I like this part...

The goal is to win the Big 12 championship,” Stoops said. “Three of the last four years, we won the Big 12 championship, including three in a row. No one else has even won back-to-back. [Yet] somehow, [Texas] has been a ‘problem.’ If you’re going to write it, write the rest of the story.

delhalew
7/28/2010, 08:28 PM
Good read.

soonerborn30
7/28/2010, 09:34 PM
This is our problem:

“I’ve been playing football since second grade and I’ve never seen that many injuries,” receiver Ryan Broyles said. “I don’t know who you blame – or if you blame anyone. It was just one of those years. We’re the type of team that doesn’t expect to lose, so it doesn’t take much to get us down.

“Once you lose your head guy – and then your star tight end [Gresham] – [B]you get into the season and you know you’re not going to go to a BCS bowl game. It’s like the season is almost over, in some ways.”

This is the attitude some have suspected they've had for the longest time. Now Mr. Broyles admits it for us, albeit probably by accident. How do we get rid of these kids' obvious sense of entitlement?

ccmike9
7/28/2010, 09:35 PM
I really liked what Mack Brown had to say, seemed nice enough to me!

rawlingsHOH
7/28/2010, 10:13 PM
I like this part...

The goal is to win the Big 12 championship,” Stoops said. “Three of the last four years, we won the Big 12 championship, including three in a row. No one else has even won back-to-back. [Yet] somehow, [Texas] has been a ‘problem.’ If you’re going to write it, write the rest of the story.

I love it!

"If you're going to write it, write the rest of the story."

soonerchris
7/28/2010, 10:15 PM
Soonerborn, I'm not so sure thats a problem. I mean as a team I hope that they have high expectaions, they should and with reason. Do you think that seeing a stand out player getting hurt would damage your confidence much less adding all that happened last year? You have to realize that we weren't exactly 2 or 3 deep last year in skill positions. Not trying to start a war of words or anything!!

soonerborn30
7/28/2010, 10:25 PM
The line I don't like is "...We’re the type of team that doesn’t expect to lose, so it doesn’t take much to get us down". That to me illustrates what people have been complaining about for the better part of a decade now: when OU gets punched in the mouth, they fold like oragami. It doesn't take much to get us down? What the hell kind of thing is that to say?

goingoneight
7/28/2010, 10:34 PM
What? That he made asterisk rings for the Rose Bowl Championship?

soonerchris
7/29/2010, 12:07 AM
Soonerborn I see the point your making and I agree with that part of it. As a team THEY (kids) should have more desire to see a season through because you never know what's going to happen. WE (fans and probally a few years older!!) Should HOPE the coaching staff is earning the money they're paid and teaching them a winning attitue. People for the most part are products of their enviroment.

goingoneight
7/29/2010, 12:27 AM
Broyles said it because it's true. If we're so used to 5-loss seasons, then why does every mouth-breathing fan call for Stoops's job after losing a BCS game?

We're not used to seasons like last year... and losing your team's heart and soul can suck the life right out of you. We all know if we lose OUr two best players on offense this year and struggle up front, we're gonna be screwed. Imagine how the players feel when those guys you look up to, those guys you're counting on, those accomplished star players are down for the count. Those aren't just big playmakers, those are also their friends.

Leroy Lizard
7/29/2010, 02:00 AM
The line I don't like is "...We’re the type of team that doesn’t expect to lose, so it doesn’t take much to get us down". That to me illustrates what people have been complaining about for the better part of a decade now: when OU gets punched in the mouth, they fold like oragami. It doesn't take much to get us down? What the hell kind of thing is that to say?

Translation: We take losing hard because we're not used to it.