PDA

View Full Version : USC Showing Muscle

Leroy Lizard
7/28/2010, 04:58 PM
Well, not to the NCAA or its competition:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,7449624.story

Right in the middle of Glen Stanley's appeal to get his release from his National Letter of Intent at USC, the fall of Troy has made things even more difficult.

USC athletic director Mike Garrett was fired this week, replaced by former USC quarterback Pat Hayden. The move and a few other changes on the USC coaching staff have once again put Stanley's release request in limbo.

Several players have already transferred from USC following NCAA sanctions banning the Trojans from postseason play for the next two years, and reducing the number of scholarships available for the next four years. Seniors and juniors have been granted transfer freedom by the NCAA, while freshmen and sophomores must request release from their National Letter of Intent (NLI).

Stanley is a 6-foot-2, 245-pound linebacker with 4.4-second 40-yard dash speed. He has three years of eligibility remaining after having played one season at Eastern Arizona College.

According to Stanley's Orlando attorney Shannon Ligon, Stanley was told by USC officials that the Trojans were not going to give him his scholarship release. A USC release is required of players who have three or four years of remaining eligibility. Ligon, who had already filed for an appeal hearing date, will reissue the appeal request for the new administrative director.

"We will reissue my letter of representation to them and my demand for them to release Mr. Stanley from his NIL due to the hiring of the new athletic director and we'll still be working to get an earlier appeal hearing date," Ligon said.

In the rules of release for the NLI, in the section Penalty Provisions and Appeals Pocess, Provision 5 indicates a student may be completely released from his or her NLI obligation, including the one-year Basic Penalty, with approval from the original signing institution, in this case USC. The institution must indicate its decision of "Complete Release" on the NLI Release Request Form.

Should the release be denied, such as in Stanley's case, the appeal can be filed to the NLI Policy and Review Committee. USC will then have 30 days to respond to the request.

So for now, Stanley watches the parade of players exit the Halls of Troy.

Travon Patterson (Colorado), Jordan Campbell (Louisville), FB D.J. Shoemate (Colorado), and the biggest one so far, and not in size only, was one of the nation's top recruits in 2010 OL Seantrel Henderson, an incoming freshman. That release raised some eyebrows and made it appear that Stanley was surely close to gaining his own release.

Some say, however, that Henderson's release was a handshake agreement made between Kiffin and Henderson's father in case the program was hit with severe sanctions following the NCAA investigation into the Reggie Bush scandal. [If true, you cannot run a program like that.]

It's simple for Stanley. He saw a window -- the sanctions -- and figured he'd jump through it. He just wants to move back closer to his home in Ocala, where his girlfriend and 2-year-old daughter currently live.[Sucks for them.]

The wait may be a while, but at least he's in good company back home.

BoulderSooner79
7/28/2010, 11:48 PM
To be honest, I was very surprised they released Henderson as that could easily open the flood gates. Maybe that special deal was real and this action is to let other players know there is no flood.

SoonerAtKU
7/29/2010, 08:51 AM
I've never understood this. What POSSIBLE benefit could there be to keeping a kid on campus who doesn't want to be there? The only thing you can do is damage your relationship with that player and give other schools ammunition during recruiting season.

TMcGee86
7/29/2010, 02:20 PM
What's crazy is they are down to 70 kids on scholarship right now.

That means assuming the current sanctions aren't reduced, by the 2013 season they will only have 40 kids on scholarship.

That's means they wont even be two deep with kids on scholarship.

USC is going to suck, and suck hard for a long time.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/29/2010, 02:47 PM
Don't know if anybody has posted this but I thought it was funny...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/USC-media-guide-continues-to-scrub-Bush-from-his?urn=ncaaf-258850

KantoSooner
7/29/2010, 03:45 PM
A pox upon their house!

Catch 22
7/29/2010, 05:37 PM
I think more of those categories need minus ones

Frozen Sooner
7/29/2010, 05:39 PM
What's crazy is they are down to 70 kids on scholarship right now.

That means assuming the current sanctions aren't reduced, by the 2013 season they will only have 40 kids on scholarship.

That's means they wont even be two deep with kids on scholarship.

USC is going to suck, and suck hard for a long time.

I'm tired and lazy-can you show your work on this one?