PDA

View Full Version : Auburn may be the 2004 National Champion afterall

Jacie
7/28/2010, 04:23 PM
FWAA considering awarding 2004 national championship to Auburn
Sporting News staff reports
Wednesday, Jul. 28, 2010 - 11:09 a.m. ET

The already controversial 2004 college football season could have one final act. The Football Writers Association of America is considering stripping USC of the national championship and awarding the trophy to Auburn, according to Evan Woodberry of the Mobile Press-Register.

"This is unprecedented, but it's an unprecedented situation," FWAA executive director Steve Richardson told the Press-Register.

USC was recently forced to vacate 14 wins, among other penalties, that it earned during a period when Reggie Bush was deemed to be ineligible. One of those wins includes its victory over Oklahoma in the national title game. The Trojans were also banned from the postseason for two years and stripped of 30 scholarships.

Auburn, which completed an undefeated season that year by beating Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl, was the consensus No. 2 team in the final polls, moving ahead of Oklahoma. SN's Dave Curtis reported Monday that the BCS would vacate the Trojans' national championship if they lose their appeal of the NCAA's decision. The Associated Press has already stated it has not considered a re-vote.

Tommy Tubberville, the current Texas Tech coach who was in charge of Auburn at the time, says someone -- even if it isn't the Tigers -- should be awarded the national title in USC's stead.

"Why in the world would you not give it to somebody? Oklahoma, us, Utah? It doesn't make any sense," Tuberville said at the Big 12 media days. "Everybody played that year. So you give it to a team that wins it on the field - uh oh, they cheated. They broke rules. We're gonna take it away from 'em. Well, give it to somebody. Because there's other teams that did the right things that were there."

bmjlr
7/28/2010, 04:45 PM
Let them have the ***Fake**** Championship. OU doesn't want it.

Crucifax Autumn
7/28/2010, 04:57 PM
Give it to Rice.

zeke
7/28/2010, 05:05 PM
Tommy T will take it.

GKeeper316
7/28/2010, 05:06 PM
ya let auburn have it.

badger
7/28/2010, 05:26 PM
I think the consensus is LET AUBURN HAVE IT!

Wouldn't that be something... Bammer and Barner have championships awarded in the same year.

goingoneight
7/28/2010, 06:23 PM
Urban Meyer's gonna be pizzed. :D

rawlingsHOH
7/28/2010, 06:39 PM
ridiculous

kelloggOUballa
7/28/2010, 07:16 PM
We all know what happened in OUr game, but let's face it, we were facing an NFL team. Literally. Players who were straight-up paid. You think it stopped at Bush? I think not. There's a reason Petey had an NFL factory going there, because he got players in his program and gave them extra benefits. We won that game, 1-0. Enough said. We would have destroyed Auburn. Our only weakness was pass D, and Jason Campbell couldn't hit the ocean from a boat. We would have shut down Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, and we would have won the title if we had played Auburn. That game that we don't speak of, actually never happened. We finished the season undefeated, and we were the best team in the country that year with legal players.

badger
7/28/2010, 07:20 PM
Urban Meyer's gonna be pizzed. :D

I doubt it. I think Tommy is just upset that he didn't get to hoist a crystal ball. Urbie's done it twice in Gataland, so no big deal that he didn't get to do that for the Utes, right?

JLEW1818
7/28/2010, 07:21 PM
lol..

u do realize I could declare

"The Jordan Lewis Championship" trophy to a team every season..... right?

You can never truly be the NCAA Champion now. Just the BCS Champion.... which is agreed on ...

or AP champion, coaches champion.....

It's all about who recognizes it.

So i give the Jordan Lewis Trophy to the 2004 Antlers Thundercats.

kelloggOUballa
7/28/2010, 07:49 PM
The NCAA has never crowned a FBS (DI) Champion

JLEW1818
7/28/2010, 07:52 PM
correct.

AZSOONER
7/28/2010, 08:01 PM
Have the 2004 teams of Auburn and OU come back and play for it. Hell I've seen teams on that espn show do it 20 years later. :)

IronHorseSooner
7/29/2010, 09:40 AM
Whereas I don't want it, and more importantly, Coach Stoops has no interest in it, why would it go to Auburn? If the guy who comes in first in a race is caught cheating, you give it to the second place guy, not the third place guy. It is completely illogical to give it Auburn or Utah for that matter. Just vacate the whole thing and let it be.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2010, 09:43 AM
lol..

u do realize I could declare

"The Jordan Lewis Championship" trophy to a team every season..... right?

You can never truly be the NCAA Champion now. Just the BCS Champion.... which is agreed on ...

or AP champion, coaches champion.....

It's all about who recognizes it.

So i give the Jordan Lewis Trophy to the 2004 Antlers Thundercats.

Antlers is the Bearcats

delhalew
7/29/2010, 10:29 AM
Thundercats was a great show.

JLEW1818
7/29/2010, 06:12 PM
Antlers is the Bearcats

complete guess :D

SCSooner71
7/29/2010, 06:52 PM
I say they leave it vacated.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2010, 10:12 AM
complete guess :D

I don't know much, but I know my oklahoma high school mascots

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 10:17 AM
They probably deserve it - It was a damn good Auburn team. I think like 8 of them started in the NFL the next year. (I could be wrong tho...)

Soonerwake
7/30/2010, 10:41 AM
They probably deserve it - It was a damn good Auburn team. I think like 8 of them started in the NFL the next year. (I could be wrong tho...)

I am firmly in the "we don't want it" camp, but based on the situation, I can see how several teams (including OU) have a "claim" to the title.

Of course, only two teams played for the title, and the winner was proven to be a cheater. After that, you get into a whole bucket of What If's...

So, if they take the title away from USC, then it should go to either the team they beat for the championship or noone.

Mississippi Sooner
7/30/2010, 11:09 AM
I realize the FWAA selects an All-American team and is responsible for several of the individual position awards, but does anyone really care who they name as national champion?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2010, 11:12 AM
I dont!

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 12:19 PM
I am firmly in the "we don't want it" camp, but based on the situation, I can see how several teams (including OU) have a "claim" to the title.

Of course, only two teams played for the title, and the winner was proven to be a cheater. After that, you get into a whole bucket of What If's...

So, if they take the title away from USC, then it should go to either the team they beat for the championship or noone.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - So I would go with no one - because the way we got smashed in that game - we could not claim nothing! Plus Auburn was undefeated that year. I thinks Auburn would be the only team besides OU that could "claim" it.

SteelClip49
7/30/2010, 12:31 PM
FWAA awards the Grantland Rice Trophy which is a prestigious honor but never was a main selector like the AP and UPI/Coaches were. Even if Auburn is awarded the FWAA title they still aren't recognized as the champion for 2004. Only USC has the honor with the AP crown.