PDA

View Full Version : Eldridge signs w/ Colts

OK2U
7/27/2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Colts-agree-to-terms-with-Brody-Eldridge.html?utm_source=Web&utm_medium=Web

he Indianapolis Colts have agreed to a four-year, $1.95 million contract with rookie fifth-round tight end Brody Eldridge, according to a league source.

Eldridge received a signing bonus of nearly $163,000 and the standard base salaries of $320,000, $405,000, $490,000 and $575,000 as well as a fourth-year escalator clause that can significantly boost the maximum value of the contract.

Eldridge is a classic blocking tight end at 6-foot-5, 261 pounds.

He caught 13 career passes for 99 yards and one touchdown for the Oklahoma Sooners.

ddub0224
7/27/2010, 10:48 AM
Good for him. He deserves it!

Mad Dog Madsen
7/27/2010, 11:04 AM
Brody definitely deserves this. He's worked his tail off! Good for him!

badger
7/27/2010, 11:06 AM
Yay, signing bonus = guaranteed money! Hope you make the roster, Brody! We're all cheering for you!

ouleaf
7/27/2010, 11:56 AM
good kid...hope he makes it.....this guy seems to think he will

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/indianapolis-colts-2010-training-camp-53-man-roster-prediction/

Tight Ends

Dallas Clark came up big, so there’s no surprise at all that he is staying. But it’s going to be interesting between Tom Santi, Jacob Tamme, Brody Eldridge, and Gijon Robinson.

Santi played well last season. I saw signs of good from Santi when he filled in for Clark in the Baltimore Ravens game. He did okay, I guess. But he’s learning and I think the Colts will keep on the roster.

Brody Eldridge was a fifth-round draft pick this year, and they plan to use him a bit this season. He’s staying, too.

As for Robinson and Tamme, it seems as if one of them will in fact get cut while the other stays on the practice squad.

Final Prediction: Eldridge, Clark, and Santi all make roster.

sooner59
7/27/2010, 12:40 PM
Awesome! I love to see hard-working team players get a chance.

swardboy
7/27/2010, 12:51 PM
Brody, be sure to carry Mr. Manning's pads EVERY DAY during pre-season....

Mad Dog Madsen
7/27/2010, 01:27 PM

Did he swith to QB too??? Man, that guy is versatile!!! :D

Serge Ibaka
7/27/2010, 01:45 PM
Good for him: I hope his versatility finds him a permanent spot on that offense.

Do you guys think he has a Chris Cooley-like ceiling? Eldridge is bigger but probably slower.

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:23 PM
Hopefully he makes the team, he def deserves it and any $$$$ that comes with it

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah...thats a pretty protocol number..6th rounders get around 100k

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:32 PM
Yea, I went back and looked it up from last year after I posted, thats why I changed my post :D

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:34 PM
So STEP, when these guys sign does their Signing Bonus go in their account the day they sign or is it stretched out over the year or what?

Any word on if Iggy, Manny, Patrick, Keenan Clayton, Dom Franks, Reggie, or Bomar have a shot at sticking this season?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 02:44 PM
Signing bonus is all up front..its tricky on how the teams have to show it...its amoritized(sp?) over the length of the contract and its tricky if the player gets cut....

Bomar is more than likely gonna get cut

I think Reggie's window is just about closed

The Falcons were terrible against the pass last season and there isn't a lot of talent there, so I think Franks stands a pretty good chance of making it

Allen Patrick=No

Manny...small, small chance

Iglesias- Word is he has worked real hard, but still not likely to see game time IMO...probably will still make roster

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 02:48 PM
After Bomar's first season at OU, I talked to some NFL guys who felt like he was already at his potential ceiling and that he wasn't gonna get much better...Of course, I took ridicule here after posting that because naturally, "Every player gets better over the course of their career."

Well, its still the same story I here..He's got talent, but he hasn't improved any

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:51 PM
Have they brought anyone else in? I know last year it was between him and Woodson wasnt it? And that guy is out of the league now if I remember correctly

texaspokieokie
7/27/2010, 02:52 PM
he can always go back to Big Red, but this time he'd probably have to actually do some work.

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:55 PM
that was pretty weak and un-original

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 02:56 PM
They got Peyton's backup Jim Sorgi to come over... likely the 2...Bomar is more than likely gonna be competing with Riley Skinner, the qb from Wake Forest for the 3 spot...

texaspokieokie
7/27/2010, 02:56 PM
ooops !!

Collier11
7/27/2010, 02:57 PM
They got Peyton's backup Jim Sorgi to come over... likely the 2...Bomar is more than likely gonna be competing with Riley Skinner, the qb from Wake Forest for the 3 spot...

Hmmm, he has the overall skill set to beat him out but not sure about between the ears

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:01 PM
Well Gilbride the OC has already presented the 2 spot to Sorgi, so what Skinner and Bomar are essentially competing over is a practice squad job

badger
7/27/2010, 03:06 PM
Well Gilbride the OC has already presented the 2 spot to Sorgi, so what Skinner and Bomar are essentially competing over is a practice squad job

Sorgi, as in Jim Sorgi? Sweet! He used to be a Badger!

EDIT: Obligatory "Jerry Bomar does not approve of this coaching decision"

Collier11
7/27/2010, 03:06 PM
well, more importantly an NFL paycheck

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:10 PM
yeah...the practice squad pay is pretty good...3 or 4k a week

Collier11
7/27/2010, 03:17 PM
Plus any team is allowed to sign you if they like what they see right? Of course the downside of that is you can be cut at anytime without any guaranteed money

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:24 PM
practice squad pay now is around 5k a week so its increased..

they are basically free agents..

but you can only do it for 3 years and cant have been active in more than 9 actual games

Collier11
7/27/2010, 03:25 PM
Gotcha. Well, if he or anyone else cant prove to 1 team in 3 years that they are worth the commitment then they dont need to be an NFL player anyway ya know

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:28 PM
Bomar was a fringe guy when they drafted him but they felt like he would get a lot of work with the PS and improve enough to take that 2 spot...from what I've heard, he was the same player making the same mistakes in week 17 as he was early..

Collier11
7/27/2010, 03:29 PM
Year 2 is probably make it or break it for him then, you think?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:33 PM
I don't know if the giants will put him back on the practice squad..he either does enough to beat out sorgi or he goes the way of Andre Woodson and looks for work elsewhere...

OK2U
7/27/2010, 04:04 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=410&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=672874

delhalew
8/3/2010, 08:55 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=410&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=672874

That photo is greatness!

In an interview today, Peyton Manning was asked if this could be the most talented squad he has had at Indie. As Manning was running through his available weapons he dropped Eldrigde's name. I was doing a million things at once so I don't recall exactly what he said. It was an NFL network training camp special, so maybe someone with access to a puter can watch it or they may air it again.
I imagine because of the type of player Manning is, Eldridge prolly made a good impression with his work ethic. Maybe the topic had moved to rookies and I missed it, but if Manning threw him in there with the established guys, I am impressed. I know Eldridge is not big on measurables(I know he is big, but the neffel seems to be favoring the Gresham type TE these days), but what a workhorse.

GKeeper316
8/4/2010, 04:21 AM
Signing bonus is all up front..its tricky on how the teams have to show it...its amoritized(sp?) over the length of the contract and its tricky if the player gets cut....

when jt thatcher signed his contract, he blew it all on jewelry and an escalade. didnt even have enough left over to fill up said escalade. had to call a rich, fat little white chick (that used to bang all the black dudes on the team) for some cash... true story.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 05:16 AM

I think the QB would be wise to carry his OL's pads. Otherwise, it's "Gee, Mr. Manning, I must have missed that block. Sorry about that. Let me help you up."

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 11:41 PM
Gotcha. Well, if he or anyone else cant prove to 1 team in 3 years that they are worth the commitment then they dont need to be an NFL player anyway ya know

Tough comment. I can see someone playing their butt off for a great team for 3 years and not getting a spot when in reality he could have played for a lesser team. Why do they have a 3 year cap anyway?

OK2U
8/4/2010, 11:54 PM
In an interview today, Peyton Manning was asked if this could be the most talented squad he has had at Indie. As Manning was running through his available weapons he dropped Eldrigde's name. I was doing a million things at once so I don't recall exactly what he said. It was an NFL network training camp special, so maybe someone with access to a puter can watch it or they may air it again.

Your video awaits:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=afea70f9-b0e7-4530-acf0-92904cdcce8d

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 08:04 AM
Your video awaits:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=afea70f9-b0e7-4530-acf0-92904cdcce8d

Peyton Manning talks just like a coach.

Pretty cool that Brody was the first guy out of his mouth when he starts talking about the new guys. Here's hoping he makes it.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 09:45 AM
You found it. Nice!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 11:01 AM
Tough comment. I can see someone playing their butt off for a great team for 3 years and not getting a spot when in reality he could have played for a lesser team. Why do they have a 3 year cap anyway?

Well if a player is on teams practice squad, he is a free agent. meaning another team can sign him off of a practice squad of another team..

The 3 year cap is because its basically your a free agent drawing a paycheck..the practice squad isn't a minor league system per say, so they do that so it doesnt become a career for someone when its not intended to.