PDA

View Full Version : Is it Gay??

PLaw
7/26/2010, 06:53 PM
I'm a 4th generation Okie that grew up in West Texas and SE NM. Needless to say, I have never had any close friends that are avid Sooner fans. One of the traits that you get from being raised in that part of the country is whenever you pass someone by on the street you look 'em in the eye and issue a polite greeting.

That said, I get fired up when I see folks in their OU gear around NorTex and will almost always give them a healthy BOOMER in passing. So, is it gay to give a total stranger a "BOOMER" when the occasion arises at a non-sporting event?

Oh yeah,

BOOMER

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:55 PM
Is it gay? No

Is it annoying (I'm gonna get torched for this) Yes! :D

Curly Bill ducks for cover.

yukonsooner
7/26/2010, 06:59 PM
I have "BOOMERED" in the streets of London, on cruise ships, and anywhere else I see a SOONER, and usually get a response. While in London, wearing OU gear, we were stopped numerous times by Londoners who wanted to hear about the Sooners and the upcoming season.

OUHOMER
7/26/2010, 07:00 PM
Is it gay? No

Is it annoying (I'm gonna get torched for this) Yes! :D

Curly Bill ducks for cover.

you should duck :cool:

and no its not gay

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 07:04 PM
Is Billy Ghey?
I rest my case

Scott D
7/26/2010, 07:16 PM
yeah, it's not ghey...now if you were going about yelling 'hook em' it'd be so ghey that liberace would feel in the closet in comparison

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 07:30 PM
yeah, it's not ghey...now if you were going about yelling 'hook em' it'd be so ghey that liberace would feel in the closet in comparison

Aint it the trufe :cool:

TXBOOMER
7/26/2010, 07:39 PM
What if a gay guy says it???????????????????????

SouthFortySooner
7/26/2010, 07:54 PM
I usually wait for recognition of my Sooner gear, then give them a Boomer of volume to make it and their response a personal serendipitous moment.

soonerguild
7/26/2010, 08:13 PM
To me it depends on how you give the Boomer. If you yell it really loudly ala mr. sims it in some situations can be annoying. If however you just say it so the people themselves hear and not everyone else within earshot it is acceptable.

goingoneight
7/26/2010, 08:16 PM
It's only gay when someone answers "fight" instead of "sucks."

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 08:39 PM
To me it depends on how you give the Boomer. If you yell it really loudly ala mr. sims it in some situations can be annoying. If however you just say it so the people themselves hear and not everyone else within earshot it is acceptable.

Be LOUD , Be Proud

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 08:45 PM
Be LOUD , Be Proud

Nuff said, close thread

pilobolus
7/27/2010, 09:55 AM
I boomered on the Eiffel Tower a few years ago.

BillyBall
7/27/2010, 10:05 AM
I'm a 4th generation Okie that grew up in West Texas and SE NM. Needless to say, I have never had any close friends that are avid Sooner fans. One of the traits that you get from being raised in that part of the country is whenever you pass someone by on the street you look 'em in the eye and issue a polite greeting.

That said, I get fired up when I see folks in their OU gear around NorTex and will almost always give them a healthy BOOMER in passing. So, is it gay to give a total stranger a "BOOMER" when the occasion arises at a non-sporting event?

Oh yeah,

BOOMER

Where in SE NM did you live?

Crucifax Autumn
7/27/2010, 12:18 PM
It's gay if you're staring at my crotch when you say it.

swardboy
7/27/2010, 12:54 PM
It's gay if you're staring at my crotch when you say it.

Unless it's a female saying it...then it's a compliment.

fwsooner22
7/27/2010, 01:02 PM
It works in Wrigley Field, the Denver Airport, Keystone ski resort, Vail, Copper Mountain, DFW Airport, Cozumel and many others.

It's called having fun and being proud. Life isn't played out in a friggin' library.

It's not gay or annoying. If you think it is you flat out don't get it and probably have told someone to sit down at an OU game.

Have at it brother. It will bring a smile to everyone who gets it. The guy who blushes and shys away is not a sooner fan.

PLaw
7/27/2010, 09:44 PM
Thank you for insight and perspectives - in the PC age and the quickly shifting winds of change, us old farts need to stay current.

That said, if you're spotted in the DFW area wearing the Crimson and Cream and you get a polite BOOMER, then you can think that guy is probably PLaw.

BOOMER

PLaw
7/27/2010, 09:52 PM
Where in SE NM did you live?

During the '70's, the family lived in the Lea County hometown of Urlacher for about seven years. Got to listen to SOONER Football on KLEA - sweet memories of Bill Brooks and Jimminy Christmas!

BOOMER

Eielson
7/27/2010, 09:55 PM
It's not gay until you start pulling pubic hairs out.

Collier11
7/27/2010, 09:57 PM
What Curly said

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 11:24 PM
What Curly said

Saweeeeeeeeeeet! :D

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 11:24 PM
It's not gay until you start pulling pubic hairs out.

Ok, that's pretty funny. :D

Fraggle145
7/27/2010, 11:59 PM
What pizzes me off is when I give a BOOMER and get:

yankee
7/28/2010, 12:36 AM
i don't think i've done it, but i get boomer yelled/talked at all the time since my wardrobe is basically all OU shirts. i too live in the metroplex, so i take great pleasure in wearing OU shirts...and if i ever go into a mall up here (not often), i be sure to wear the one that's got boomer sooner pasted on the front of it :cool: . any mall around here is a ut t-shirt bandwagon fan paradise.

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 03:54 AM
Answer, not gay at all.

Now yelling T*x*s F*ght is another story.

olevetonahill
7/28/2010, 04:10 AM
Its only Ghey IF ya Dont Yell BOOMER or give an Answering SOONER
Ya caint do that then yer Ghey :cool:

delhalew
7/28/2010, 06:55 AM
I would love for somebody to give me a Boomer, and I absolutely would answer.

stoopified
7/28/2010, 07:59 AM
It's not gay until you start pulling pubic hairs out.What if you are only weeding out the gray? :D

gaylordfan1
7/28/2010, 09:29 AM
The only time I find it uncomfortable to hear is during the Heismen Trophy ceremony.... and thats only when I have heard it for the 30th time.

AZSOONER
7/28/2010, 11:56 AM
9 times outta 10 when someone asks "is it gay" it is. This however isn't.

ouduckhunter
7/28/2010, 12:52 PM
I do it out here and anytime that I see somebody in Sooner gear!

Mississippi Sooner
7/28/2010, 01:14 PM
I few years ago, I was in the US Virgin Islands and was walking down the street in Charlotte Amalie when I saw a guy in an OU shirt. I yelled out Boomer, but he didn't respond immediately. He just looked at me kinda funny until he noticed my OU hat, and that's when he got a huge grin on his face and ran up and started shaking my hand.

He asked me if I was from Oklahoma and when I said I was, he started jabbering about "yah, we got one of our own up there. He name Jabari Brown and he play basketball for da Sooners. You know him? You ever talk to him? How he likin' it up there?"

I told him that I knew who Jabari was but no, I hadn't talked to him nor did I know what he thought of Oklahoma. It's funny, but the people down there who never leave the islands don't seem to have a grasp of just how big the States are.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/28/2010, 01:19 PM
...BOOMER!!!!! :D

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 05:51 PM
...BOOMER!!!!! :D

SOONER!!!!:D Hook em

prrriiide
7/28/2010, 06:44 PM
Is it ghey? Only if it invloves a reach-around.

BHB 91
7/28/2010, 09:06 PM
Nope. Not gay.

soonerborn30
7/28/2010, 09:16 PM
I do it out here and anytime that I see somebody in Sooner gear!

You're in PDX right? I used to do it every time I saw somebody in OU gear in my neighborhood in SE Portland, and it always brought a smile to their faces. Seems like there's a lot of Okies up there in the Great Pacific NW.

delhalew
7/29/2010, 10:19 AM
I've been pretty consistant on this. I was one who defended Billy's right to yell Boomer till he passes out at the Heisman or a wedding or a funeral...

KantoSooner
7/29/2010, 10:46 AM
The only time I find it uncomfortable to hear is during the Heismen Trophy ceremony.... and thats only when I have heard it for the 30th time.

I really find it hard to connect Billy Sims to 'gay' in any way shape or form. If only for his awe inspiring afro during the 1970's, Billy has had the 'manliness meter' pegged over on the right side for about a generation.

Can you imagine anyone you'd rather have at a lakeside barbecue....on a late summer's day....contemplating the upcoming season....tipping a cleansing ale (or 30)....watching inappropriately younger women desport on the dock...sunglasses strapped to your noggin?

Nope, I don't hold a few 'Boomers' against him. Just can't....

PLaw
7/29/2010, 10:44 PM
I've been pretty consistant on this. I was one who defended Billy's right to yell Boomer till he passes out at the Heisman or a wedding or a funeral...

HMMMM, I wonder if I could write it into my special considerations section of my will that those in attendance at my memorial service give a thunderous BOOMER. I think we are on to something here.

My son ends his eulogy with "Boomer!", congregations responds with "SOONER". Do that three time and we're good. :D

BOOMER

Leroy Lizard
7/29/2010, 11:03 PM
Can you imagine anyone you'd rather have at a lakeside barbecue....on a late summer's day....contemplating the upcoming season....tipping a cleansing ale (or 30)....watching inappropriately younger women desport on the dock...sunglasses strapped to your noggin?

Question: Is he endlessly yelling Boomer every minute?

GottaHavePride
7/30/2010, 12:24 AM
Yelling Boomer once? Not gay. But just leave it there. I mean, say the person responds with a "Sooner" and then you keep shouting "Boomer" (not Billy, I mean like at say, Disney World) forcing the other person to keep responding "Sooner"... well, that gets annoying.

FWIW yes, it's happened to me (I was the "Sooner" end - cause after you respond once you just can't leave it hanging there.) Not actually at Disney World, but it's a good example. In most situations, do it once and call it good. ;)

MrJimBeam
7/30/2010, 06:18 AM
I would love for somebody to give me a Boomer, and I absolutely would answer.

See, this sounds kinda gay.

It should be 'If I ever got a Boomer, I'd give a big ole Sooner right back!!'

No, wait....hold on a second..

sooner94
7/30/2010, 03:32 PM
What if you are only weeding out the gray? :D

Just use that spray on hair color. That works really well....er that's what I read in an article.

BillyBall
7/30/2010, 03:48 PM

And at that point it isn't "gay", its just a result of heavy alcohol consumption.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/30/2010, 03:52 PM
I don't care what yall say... Billy is awesome!!! "30 Boomers" or not. :D

Crucifax Autumn
7/30/2010, 04:04 PM
I should "Boomer!" Collier down on the strip in a bit.

KantoSooner
7/30/2010, 05:21 PM
Question: Is he endlessly yelling Boomer every minute?

Well, that's a good question. It's one of those things that you either have to understate ('Boomer' once or twice) or go completely gonzo ('Boomer' every two to three seconds until your companions tackle you and duct tape your mouth).

In my fantasy scenario, Billy is in a mellow mood and is replying to almost every question with a quiet 'Boomer' and a broad smile. Just to mess with the crowd.

"Billy, how you doin'?"

"Boomer"

"Billy, nother beer?"

"Boomer"

"Hey, Billy, you want to stop that sh*t?"

"Boomer"

"Aw **** it, drink."

"Boomer"

delhalew
7/30/2010, 05:26 PM
I should "Boomer!" Collier down on the strip in a bit.

Yes you should...if only because he indicated he doesn't enjoy it.

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 07:37 PM
Well, that's a good question. It's one of those things that you either have to understate ('Boomer' once or twice) or go completely gonzo ('Boomer' every two to three seconds until your companions tackle you and duct tape your mouth).

In my fantasy scenario, Billy is in a mellow mood and is replying to almost every question with a quiet 'Boomer' and a broad smile. Just to mess with the crowd.

"Billy, how you doin'?"

"Boomer"

"Billy, nother beer?"

"Boomer"

"Hey, Billy, you want to stop that sh*t?"

"Boomer"

"Aw **** it, drink."

"Boomer"

"Billy, say 'Boomer' if you have a serious obsessive/compulsive disorder."

SanDiegoSoonerGal
7/30/2010, 07:38 PM
Well, one has to be careful. I was once ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park when I saw a guy with an OU hat. You don't see many of those in NYC, so I chased him down and asked him if he was from Oklahoma, or an alum.

He looked at me kind of funny and replied, "No, I just liked the color of the hat."

Imagine if I'd yelled a big ol' "BOOMER!" at him.

PLaw
7/31/2010, 08:25 AM
Well, one has to be careful. I was once ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park when I saw a guy with an OU hat. You don't see many of those in NYC, so I chased him down and asked him if he was from Oklahoma, or an alum.

He looked at me kind of funny and replied, "No, I just liked the color of the hat."

Imagine if I'd yelled a big ol' "BOOMER!" at him.

No, you just exposed a fraud and in that case a healthy BOOMER would have made him look like the fool.

BOOMER