PDA

View Full Version : Titans suing USC; Kiffin.....

Salt City Sooner
7/26/2010, 05:32 PM
The Titans on Monday filed a lawsuit against the University of Southern Cal and head coach Lane Kiffin for "maliciously" interfering with the contract of running backs coach Kennedy Pola.

The lawsuit was filed in Davidson County Chancery Court and it claims Pola breached his contract with the Titans after being induced by Kiffin. Pola, hired by the Titans in January, was hired by USC over the weekend as the school's new offensive coordinator.

The lawsuit states "as a result of USC and Kiffin's tortuous conduct, Tennessee (Titans) football has been damaged in an amount proven at trial.''

Titans officials could not be reached for comment on Monday. USC officials also could not be reached for comment.

Over the weekend, Coach Jeff Fisher, a former Southern Cal player, sounded off against Kiffin, who formerly coached at the University of Tennessee, for recruiting Pola without first asking for permission to speak to him.

"I am very disappointed in Lane Kiffin's approach to this,'' Fisher said on Saturday. "Typically speaking when coaches are interested in hiring or discussing potential employment from coaches on respective staffs there is a courtesy call made from the head coach or athletic director indicating there is an interest in talking to the assistant.

"So I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism on behalf of Lane, to call me and leave me a voice mail after Kennedy had informed me he had taken the job. It is just a lack of professionalism.''

According to the lawsuit, "USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to - and did - induce Pola to breach his contract with the Titans. The lawsuit alleges "USC and Kiffin engaged in improper means in their procedure of the breach and were not legally justified in their actions.''

According to the lawsuit, Pola agreed he would "not under any circumstance solicit discussions or entertain employment with any other person or entity during the term without given written permission to do so,'' under the terms of his contract with the Titans. Pola was not given written consent by the Titans.

"Kiffin and USC's actions through him were part of a course and pattern of conduct fostered by Kiffin and USC to use improper methods and means to the direct harm and damage of parties to contract, to interfere with an existing contract includes the breach thereof,'' the lawsuit reads.

The controversial Kiffin was hired as USC's football coach in January after serving as the head coach at the University of Tennessee for one season.

In January, Fisher hired Pola after firing running backs coach Earnest Byner, a move that raised some eyebrows, especially after Titans running back Chris Johnson led the NFL with 2,006 rushing yards in 2009. But Fisher said he couldn't pass up an opportunity to hire Pola, who had an expiring contract with the Jaguars. Pola's contract with the Titans wasn't set to expire until February, 2011.

Kiffin released a statement on Saturday giving his chain of events leading to the hiring. Kiffin could not be reached for comment on Monday.

"We reached out to Kennedy Pola yesterday to gauge whether he had any possible interest in returning to USC before we moved forward with the process," Kiffin said in a statement released by USC.

"Kennedy said he would think about it and get back to us (Saturday). Once Kennedy did call back earlier today, out of my great respect for Coach Fisher I immediately reached out to Coach to make him aware of the situation. I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events.

"We realize the timing of this isn't perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy."

Fisher said he plans to hire Pola's replacement from a member on his current staff.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=128399&catid=2

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 05:35 PM
I'm not in favor of all this suing people stuff...

...but I hate USuC, so whatever.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 05:36 PM
Hee. Hee. The first of many lawsuits, I suspect.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 05:38 PM
My favorite part:

"Kennedy said he would think about it and get back to us (Saturday). Once Kennedy did call back earlier today, out of my great respect for Coach Fisher I immediately reached out to Coach to make him aware of the situation. I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events.

Bwahahaha!!! Yeah, way to smooth things over Kiffin.

CBUS_SOONER
7/26/2010, 06:19 PM
When it rains ... F USC. I'm gonna sue em also

budbarrybob
7/26/2010, 06:23 PM
Not sticking up for Kiffin, but Give me a break... sounds like a cry baby. Or a jaded ex-wife suing the adulterous girlfriend...

AZSOONER
7/26/2010, 06:32 PM
I'm not in favor of all this suing people stuff...

...but I hate USuC, so whatever.

Was gonna have my own reply, but it pretty much woulda sounded like this one, so ditto.

Lott's Bandana
7/26/2010, 06:32 PM
"tortuous conduct"

nice.

goingoneight
7/26/2010, 06:39 PM
Anybody else think this is a PR move, considering the love for Kiffin in Tennessee?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 07:21 PM
Who cares? It further embarrasses SC, so it's all good.

Texas fans hate Stoops, but that's because he coaches OU.
OU fans hate Mack Brown, but that's because he coaches UT.
Two years from now the college football world will hate Lane Kiffin, because he's Lane Kiffin.

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 07:54 PM
Another article
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Titans-sue-Lane-Kiffin-for-coach-poaching?urn=nfl-258284

Especially the last paragraph :D

In the end, it's quite possible that Pola will regret his decision — he's moving from one of the most respected coaches and well-run organizations in the NFL to a major college program awash in sanctions and run by a guy who has proven to be a snake throughout his career. Promotions are nice, but those are not the best circumstances under which to operate :D

Scott D
7/26/2010, 08:02 PM
Anybody else think this is a PR move, considering the love for Kiffin in Tennessee?

I doubt it, if there's one thing Kiffin has proven time after time it's that he's never one for following protocol, and is very talented at making enemies.

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 08:51 PM
I am a huge Tennessee guy (Vols & Titans) so Kiffin can go **** * *** ****

mehip
7/26/2010, 09:35 PM
Is there an over/under on how long Kiffin last as SC?

Scott D
7/26/2010, 09:44 PM
if garrett was still in charge I'd take the over, but with haden in charge I'll take the under.

Wishboned
7/26/2010, 10:17 PM
So what are the odds of Kiffin last more than one season at USC?

goingoneight
7/26/2010, 10:18 PM
I doubt it, if there's one thing Kiffin has proven time after time it's that he's never one for following protocol, and is very talented at making enemies.

I was thinking more along the lines of Tennessee's part, suing and all.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 10:26 PM
When you can get an alumnus suing his former school, you've really done something.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 08:20 AM
Bud Adams, the Titan owner, went to KU not USC...

for a bit of extra trivia, Adams is from Bartlesville

Mad Dog Madsen
7/27/2010, 10:08 AM
So what are the odds of Kiffin last more than one season at USC?

I'd say the odds are pretty high. They'll let him go after they get off of probabtion. :D

KantoSooner
7/27/2010, 10:19 AM
Bud Adams, the Titan owner, went to KU not USC...

for a bit of extra trivia, Adams is from Bartlesville

And if his father, Boots, was running the Titans, Lane Kiffin would be sleeping with the fishes tonight.

The only bad thing about this is that, in messing with the NFL, Kiffin is not running the risk of further NCAA violations. I would love to see him/USC popped again, hard (a la SMU) say, next summer.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/27/2010, 02:35 PM
My guess is that Kiffin has so burned the NFL and Div 1 bridge, that after he gets fired from USC, he is either a Div II or III coach or in the high school ranks...

SouthFortySooner
7/27/2010, 02:50 PM
And I say, IF he wins all will be forgiven.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 02:54 PM
That's true for any team.

MI Sooner
7/27/2010, 09:45 PM
"Tortuous conduct"?

Pretty sure they mean tortious. That there is some nice lawyerin.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 11:40 PM
"Tortuous conduct"?

Pretty sure they mean tortious. That there is some nice lawyerin.

Maybe his conduct was winding and convoluted.

It could happen.

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 03:43 AM
If i was Jeff Fisher (which im not in case you guys were wondering) I would make Lane a deal, "Ill drop the suit if you can get me tickets to the USC bowl games for the next 2 years" **** *OU! Lane!!!!