PDA

View Full Version : Modifications for this season's offense

KantoSooner
7/26/2010, 02:23 PM
Okay, football cognocenti, I have a question. Last year, Stoops, Wilson and company went into the final gear up for the season thinking they'd have Bradford and Gresham, even with a depleted line. Losing both, they had to make adjustments to the offense; but I doubt any could say that the offense was truly tailored to the talent until, arguably, the final month or so of the season.
That being said, they have now had an entire off season to put any changes they desire in place. Any ideas as to what, if any, major differences we should expect in Offense 2010 vs. Offense 2009?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/26/2010, 02:25 PM
I really doubt there is much change other than probably going deeper a little more often depending on how well the line holds up

goingoneight
7/26/2010, 02:30 PM
More I-formation, pro-style offense hopefully. We'll know in game one how much better the O-line is if we're still lining up in the gun every play. With what's supposed to be a good OL (according to coaches and insiders it's been a bright spot this off-season), we *should* be able to run over Utah State every down. I don't give us much hope at winning #8 this year unless we can get physical when we need (and want) to.

Sooner04
7/26/2010, 02:47 PM
A wideout, or other member of the team, sprints in from the sideline with a play.

Said player gives the play to the QB, who is in the huddle.

The QB relays said play to the rest of the team in the huddle.

The team executes said play.

And then the process repeats itself.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/26/2010, 02:48 PM
if they can't get a yard against Utah State like they couldnt against University of Phoenix Online last year(or Idaho St whichever that was), I'm gonna need some gasoline, some matches, and a getaway car

madillsoonerfan5353
7/26/2010, 03:38 PM
A wideout, or other member of the team, sprints in from the sideline with a play.

Have some GREEN! :D

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 03:38 PM
Why do you hate meerkats?

agoo758
7/26/2010, 04:02 PM
Simply put, we need more creativity in our offensive play calling. Too often were we getting conservtive towards the end of games, even when we are losing! When I look back at the 01 and 02 teams, I dont believe that we were much more talented offensively then we were in 09 (granted we didnt have all of the injuries). It seems as if the difference in the earlier years was that we found ways to get in the end zone (such as the shovel pass, misderection or QB option, all of which are completely gone today). And while those teams did not have the offensive fire power in those years as we did in 99 or 00, we were able to win our close games and contend for the National Championship because we found ways to move the ball offesnively. In 09 we seemed to make no attempt whatsover to make up for our lack of offensive talents and as a result lost all of the close games we likely would have won in the earlier years.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 04:06 PM
I don't think I've seen another player run in from the sidelines, to relay the play to the QB, since the 1990s.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 04:08 PM
Simply put, we need more creativity in our offensive play calling. Too often were we getting conservtive towards the end of games, even when we are losing! When I look back at the 01 and 02 teams, I dont believe that we were much more talented offensively then we were in 09 (granted we didnt have all of the injuries). It seems as if the difference in the earlier years was that we found ways to get in the end zone (such as the shovel pass, misderection or QB option, all of which are completely gone today). And while those teams did not have the offensive fire power in those years as we did in 99 or 00, we were able to win our close games and contend for the National Championship because we found ways to move the ball offesnively. In 09 we seemed to make no attempt whatsover to make up for our lack of offensive talents and as a result lost all of the close games we likely would have won in the earlier years.

The '08 offense completely swamped all previous season (in college football history) in terms of "getting into the end zone". So I can't buy that we are simply lacking a damn shuttle pass.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:20 PM
The '08 offense completely swamped all previous season (in college football history) in terms of "getting into the end zone". So I can't buy that we are simply lacking a damn shuttle pass.

That 08 team went undefeated right?

Oh wait...it didn't? So, maybe things could have been better a time or two?

Oh well, that big trophy for scoring so many points is I'm sure a nice addition to the collection. ;)

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 04:27 PM
That 08 team went undefeated right?

Oh wait...it didn't? So, maybe things could have been better a time or two?

Oh well, that big trophy for scoring so many points is I'm sure a nice addition to the collection. ;)
oh wait... i thought we were talking about the offense and scoring points?

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:28 PM
oh wait... i thought we were talking about the offense and scoring points?

Not me, I talk about winning.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 04:32 PM
well if the 2008 offense had the defense (or the luck) of the 2000 team, they'd have had that to talk about too!

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:35 PM
So, you're saying it's BV's fault? :D

I can go with that. ;)

cheezyq
7/26/2010, 04:39 PM
So, you're saying it's BV's fault? :D

I can go with that. ;)

ROFLMAO.

What I want out of this offense? More cowbell.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:41 PM
I want a running play not designed to run into the butt cheek of the guards.

htownsooner7
7/26/2010, 04:43 PM
You have to think we try to run the ball more effectively this year. And to do that, we have to commit to the run early in games.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:46 PM
It would be nice to find a TE that can do something.

cheezyq
7/26/2010, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I think the offense will be okay. I don't have a lot of confidence in the OL, which will affect the running game...and I'm not sure we have a receiver outside of Broyles that can catch more than 10% of the passes thrown their way. But if the offense improves just a LITTLE, we win 4 of the 5 games we lost last year.

Plus, the teams we play this year aren't as good defensively as they were last year. So our schedule, while still pretty tough, should favor the offense some.

My biggest concern, as always, is the 2+ games where our defense just looks completely lost and confused. If that happens against FSU or MU or anyone with a heartbeat on offense, we're toast.

47straight
7/26/2010, 05:39 PM
They ran the pistol formation in the spring game.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 05:40 PM
They ran the pistol formation in the spring game.

Seriously?

Cause that thing freakin sucks! :mad:

PLaw
7/26/2010, 05:52 PM
More I-formation, pro-style offense hopefully. We'll know in game one how much better the O-line is if we're still lining up in the gun every play. With what's supposed to be a good OL (according to coaches and insiders it's been a bright spot this off-season), we *should* be able to run over Utah State every down. I don't give us much hope at winning #8 this year unless we can get physical when we need (and want) to.

I think we need to do the Jimmy Johnson, man up challenge to the D-Cows o-line when they started taking plays off or complaining: I'm calling fifteen straight running plays.

Time to see attitude with action from this group.

BOOMER

47straight
7/26/2010, 07:15 PM
Seriously?

Cause that thing freakin sucks! :mad:

I saw it on the highlight film.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 07:22 PM
Good grief!

KW is doing it to torture me on purpose.

LHSooner
7/26/2010, 07:45 PM
With the stable of RB's we've got, I'd like to see the wild-whatever-you-want-to-call-it formation. Just 3-5 times per game. Force defenses to prepare for it & to keep them honest. In lieu of that, give me a true zone read where the qb actually keeps the ball. I think that has happened 2x in the last 4 seasons.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't mind some zone read, but I bet we don't see it with Landry playing QB.

...and I don't mean we run something that looks like the zone read, but everyone knows the QB will never keep it.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 08:37 PM
I saw it on the highlight film.

ran it last fall, also

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't mind some zone read, but I bet we don't see it with Landry playing QB.

...and I don't mean we run something that looks like the zone read, but everyone knows the QB will never keep it
ran it with bradford in 08! maybe against nebraska or a&m, thought it was later in the season.

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 08:48 PM
More/better Zone blocking, less shotgun, and more fullback (this ones a stretch) and overall better play by everyone. Hopefully Jermie Calhoun is in alot (cuz DM is making long physical runs) and produces well.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 08:51 PM
ran it with bradford in 08! maybe against nebraska or a&m, thought it was later in the season.

We ran it where Sam was actually a threat to keep the ball? Maybe so, but I don't remember it.

I know we've run something that looked like it, but everyone knew it was going to be a give every time.

mehip
7/26/2010, 08:54 PM
I'd love to see the O line up and run the ball down everyone's throat. That said, I be happy to see an offensive game plan that attacks what the D gives them. It seemed that they did a pretty good job of doing that against Stanford in the bowl game.

texaspokieokie
7/26/2010, 08:56 PM
l sure hope KW is on this board !!!

agoo758
7/26/2010, 08:58 PM

I was referring to 01 and 02. Not 08

As far as 08, we were so powerful we could pretty much shove a play down a defenses throat and they couldnt stop us... until the national championship when our predictable play calling finally caught up with us. I'm not saying I have all the answers, I'm just dissapointed that we dont seem to be making an effort to adjust when things arnt going well.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 08:58 PM
KW's too busy devising new and unique ways to have the tailback run into the back of an offensive guard. :D

SoonerLB
7/26/2010, 10:50 PM

Have some MORE green!!! :D

SoonerLB
7/26/2010, 10:54 PM

He is, but he's a couple pages back. ;)

BoulderSooner79
7/26/2010, 11:11 PM
I say scrap the '09 offense and go back to the '08 one. (Hint: the BCS title game spilled into '09 :P )

rawlingsHOH
7/27/2010, 08:43 AM
We ran it where Sam was actually a threat to keep the ball? Maybe so, but I don't remember it.

I know we've run something that looked like it, but everyone knew it was going to be a give every time.

yeah, sam pulled it from the back's belly and took off, wide open, for about 10 yards before sliding.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 08:46 AM
I think the OP question was what changes should we expect to see, not what changes do you want to see.....

If some of you are expecting the changes you posted, your gonna be awfully disappointed

C&CDean
7/27/2010, 09:00 AM

Why? So he can confirm that the average fan is an ignorant buffoon?

I'll take his play calling over any of the silliness I see on here. Of course when your tailback is running up a guard's bunghole that couldn't possibly be poor guard play. Nope. It's sucky coaching. Same goes when the receivers drop perfectly thrown balls. Or when the o-line jumps every 1.7 plays. Meh.

The only modification I'm asking for is for the players to execute the basics.

BoulderSooner79
7/27/2010, 09:11 AM
I think the OP question was what changes should we expect to see, not what changes do you want to see.....

If some of you are expecting the changes you posted, your gonna be awfully disappointed

If we see some of the changes posted here, we're gonna be awful (and awfully disappointed). The changes I *expect*? That players with another year under their belts will improve and the coaches will take advantage of it. I also hope to see some pleasant surprises from newcomers.

fwsooner22
7/27/2010, 09:12 AM

I'll take his play calling over any of the silliness I see on here. Of course when your tailback is running up a guard's bunghole that couldn't possibly be poor guard play. Nope. It's sucky coaching. Same goes when the receivers drop perfectly thrown balls. Or when the o-line jumps every 1.7 plays. Meh.

BADA BING........Dead on......the recepie for success.

texaspokieokie
7/27/2010, 09:27 AM
yep, C&C, i'm with ya on that.

gaylordfan1
7/27/2010, 09:28 AM
The major change we can expect to see this season is to be a better and more consistent running team. I'm sure the major focus of our offense has been on OUr oline. If we can improve this aspect of OUr game then expect to see a more balanced offense... one that can pass and run when the situation arises.

KantoSooner
7/27/2010, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking you're right. But I wondered if anyone had ideas regarding the 'new' personnel and any implications that had on emphases or offensive sets.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/27/2010, 02:36 PM
I'm looking for some more run it up the middle on 3rd down and run into the middle of the line more often.

Fire KW ;)

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 09:48 PM

When you are getting poor guard play, and continue to try and run the ball up his bunghole, that's more than just poor guard play, it's also stupidity on the part of the guy calling plays that refuses to acknowledge that fact and do something different.

silverwheels
7/27/2010, 10:33 PM
I'm tired of seeing the line get down in stance and hold it for 20+ seconds while the play comes in, only to see a run get stuffed for no gain or a loss (although part of that was also the OL not being able to run block well consistently, which they will have to do this year). Either do the hurry up correctly, or huddle. A mix of both would be nice, but KW needs to stop with the meerkat offense.

goingoneight
7/27/2010, 11:37 PM
2008 offense pwned the 2000 offense in every game, every category, every statistic. Including the MNC game where Heupel's offense did no better than Sam's. Two INTs a piece... 14 points against UF, 13 against FSU. Funny how nobody was calling for Mangino's job after that game. Or Mike Stoops's after getting torched by the toy soldiers.

Winning does change everything, though.

2010 gameplan... listen up, Sooners:

When OUr defense is struggling, score lots of damn points.

When OUr offense is struggling, shut'em out.

Seems simple, don't it? Why isn't everyone in the country doing this?

Fraggle145
7/27/2010, 11:52 PM

What's a huddle? *cough* mearcat *cough*

Fraggle145
7/27/2010, 11:55 PM

Yep. I want an RB that doesnt seek out defenders and then go down on first contact.

yankee
7/28/2010, 12:43 AM
With the stable of RB's we've got, I'd like to see the wild-whatever-you-want-to-call-it formation. Just 3-5 times per game. Force defenses to prepare for it & to keep them honest. In lieu of that, give me a true zone read where the qb actually keeps the ball. I think that has happened 2x in the last 4 seasons.

that formation is lame beyond words...especially since 99% of the time the running back is just going to keep it...the defense knows what's coming.

Salt City Sooner
7/28/2010, 01:26 AM
that formation is lame beyond words...especially since 99% of the time the running back is just going to keep it...the defense knows what's coming.
KSU (esp. Thomas) kicked our D's butt with it last year. If it's properly read, it's a WHOLE lot more difficult to stop than what it looks like, esp. if you have anything resembling a passing threat like Thomas (an ex-QB) running it.

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 03:47 AM
With the stable of RB's we've got, I'd like to see the wild-whatever-you-want-to-call-it formation.

"Drunken Schooner!" especially when #17 is driving it (Joke)

Just 3-5 times per game. Force defenses to prepare for it & to keep them honest.

You have a point there

In lieu of that, give me a true zone read where the qb actually keeps the ball.

I would rather protect Landry, But i have a feeling #12 would be all for it

I think that has happened 2x in the last 4 seasons.

Landry did keep it for about 20 yards against KU last year, but later Bob said Landry made the proper read but is not really supposed to ever keep it.

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 03:51 AM

Good Point

I'll take his play calling over any of the silliness I see on here.

Good Point #2

Of course when your tailback is running up a guard's bunghole that couldn't possibly be poor guard play.

One more and i owe you a beer

Good Point #4!

Too bad im not old enough to buy you one yet.

JLEW1818
7/28/2010, 07:54 PM
i kinda wish the pistol would be shot in the face

ashley
7/29/2010, 05:54 AM
2008 offense pwned the 2000 offense in every game, every category, every statistic. Including the MNC game where Heupel's offense did no better than Sam's. Two INTs a piece... 14 points against UF, 13 against FSU. Funny how nobody was calling for Mangino's job after that game. Or Mike Stoops's after getting torched by the toy soldiers.

Winning does change everything, though.

2010 gameplan... listen up, Sooners:

When OUr defense is struggling, score lots of damn points.

When OUr offense is struggling, shut'em out.

Seems simple, don't it? Why isn't everyone in the country doing this?

Someone who knows football is refreshing. Thanks.

HBick
7/29/2010, 06:27 AM
Look Stoops and Co. know what to do.

In the words of Christopher Walken, more cowbell.

soonerfromgeorgia
7/29/2010, 07:31 AM
Any teams best defense is a great running game. It is hard for the other team to score without the ball and it allows your defense to be fresh when you need them to bow their back and make a stand.
A high powered offense puts people in the seats, a strong running game and great defense win championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!