PDA

View Full Version : If the South had won....

Okla-homey
7/26/2010, 06:51 AM
would there be this sort of thing on the Virginia side of the bridges across the Potomac River in D.C.?

http://vodpod.com/watch/1774626-youtube-michael-palin-at-the-india-pakistan-border-ceremony-bbc

My Opinion Matters
7/26/2010, 07:11 AM
...we'd all be working on Sic Em's plantation.

Ike
7/26/2010, 08:04 AM
Yes.

OU Adonis
7/26/2010, 08:10 AM
Slavery would of still ended... probably by the 1880s

XingTheRubicon
7/26/2010, 09:04 AM
FnhKpdgHSO8

pilobolus
7/26/2010, 10:20 AM
If you spend any time in Memphis check out the National Civil Rights Museum, at the hotel where MLKJ was shot. Really provides some perspective, especially for younger folk who simply have no way of knowing what it used to be like, especially in the south.

OU Adonis
7/26/2010, 10:51 AM
If you spend any time in Memphis check out the National Civil Rights Museum, at the hotel where MLKJ was shot. Really provides some perspective, especially for younger folk who simply have no way of knowing what it used to be like, especially in the south.

I think the Civil war made the fight for civil rights in the long run personally. It was great for freeing the slaves, but left long running resentment that can still be seen today.

Brazil freed its slaves peacefully(in 1888??), and while I am not sure I think they have less of a civil rights issue than we do.

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 11:14 AM
I've thought about this before. I actually think the US/CSA would have taken a similar track with what we took with Britain. We may have fought another war but eventually the shared history, language, religious history, etc. would predominate and there'd be a border similar to the US-Canada border today but with even closer integration between the two countries.

homerSimpsonsBrain
7/26/2010, 01:40 PM
I'd hope we could come up with some less faggy looking uniforms. I expected them to start singing "I'm a lumberjack" at any moment.

Scott D
7/26/2010, 02:07 PM
I think the Civil war made the fight for civil rights in the long run personally. It was great for freeing the slaves, but left long running resentment that can still be seen today.

Brazil freed its slaves peacefully(in 1888??), and while I am not sure I think they have less of a civil rights issue than we do.

don't tell that to poor Brazilians though, they might get upset.

Serge Ibaka
7/26/2010, 02:22 PM
A quick read-up suggests that Brazil has many Civil Rights laws similar to the USA, but racial injustice and discrimination persists (similar to the USA).

And before I'm slammed for my last parenthesized clause: I mean injustice within sociological and institutionalized levels, and I grant that we have at least made great bounds since the 1960s.

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 02:43 PM
In any case, if the South had won then the poor bastards who had the unfortunate luck of being born in the North would at least get to look down south and see what a real Constitutional Republic looks like in the mold designed by our Founding Fathers.

The idea of a southern victory is so very bittersweet. It both fills my heart with an endless joy and hurts my soul for the longing of what might have been.

Serge Ibaka
7/26/2010, 02:46 PM
In any case, if the South had won then the poor bastards who had the unfortunate luck of being born in the North would at least get to look down south and see what a real Constitutional Republic looks like in the mold designed by our Founding Fathers.

The idea of a southern victory is so very bittersweet. It both fills my heart with an endless joy and hurts my soul for the longing of what might have been.

It's funny because you romanticize a people who believed it okay to buy and sell other humans like they were livestock.

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 02:48 PM
It's funny because you romanticize a people who believed it okay to buy and sell other humans like they were livestock.

Yep. I roll around laughing my *** off at that too. It's just so damned FUUUUNNNNY.

Serge Ibaka
7/26/2010, 02:51 PM
Yep. I roll around laughing my *** off at that too. It's just so damned FUUUUNNNNY.

Har Har.

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2004/winter/images/slave-back.jpg

I wish I was in the laaaaand of cotton!

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 02:52 PM
Har Har.

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2004/winter/images/slave-back.jpg

I wish I was in the laaaaand of cotton!

Some people just never learn.

GKeeper316
7/26/2010, 03:01 PM

brazil isnt a collection of states.

My Opinion Matters
7/26/2010, 04:19 PM
brazil isnt a collection of states.

Uhh... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_Brazil)

OU Adonis
7/26/2010, 04:34 PM
Slavery was a horrible institution, but you can't say the people of the north were pure when it came to slavery.

I just think it would of been better to let slavery die a peaceful death than by force of arms.

MR2-Sooner86
7/26/2010, 04:47 PM

Ummmm we still do that today but we just changed the name to "the NBA draft" :D

Serge Ibaka
7/26/2010, 04:49 PM
Ummmm we still do that today but we just changed the name to "the NBA draft" :D

haha. I would submit to livestock-itude for first year salaries ranging between 4.1 mil and 824k. http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9301

MR2-Sooner86
7/26/2010, 04:52 PM
If only we stuck to idea of treating sports players like indentured servants...

Okla-homey
7/26/2010, 06:26 PM
Slavery would of still ended... probably by the 1880s

Haven't you gotten the memo? The Silver Woah wuddn't about no slavery. It was about "states rats!" Yeehaw!

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 06:39 PM
Haven't you gotten the memo? The Silver Woah wuddn't about no slavery. It was about "states rats!" Yeehaw!

Slavery is a component of the states' rights issue. It was the biggest hot-button issue in the conflict over states' rights, but it was by absolutely no means the ONLY issue. In any case, just go by Lincoln's own statements through the beginning of the war that he was preserving the Union and not trying to interfere with the institution of slavery.

The idea that Lincoln was elected and started raising an army to march south to free the slaves is absolutely positively absurd. Slavery was more important to hot-headed southern leaders than it was to Lincoln and Union leaders early in the war. I've always thought the rush to secession was very premature.

Truthfully, I abhor the idea of slavery. Slavery could have been fixed; however, we have yet to find a way to fix the damage done to the rights of the states and a constrained Federal government as a result of the war.

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 06:47 PM
Fer the Last time Ya Dayum Yankees.
The South DID NOT LOSEthe War

We jes takin a break :P

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:53 PM
Fer the Last time Ya Dayum Yankees.
The South DID NOT LOSEthe War

We jes takin a break :P

Yup, yup.

ndpruitt03
7/26/2010, 07:01 PM
Slavery is a component of the states' rights issue. It was the biggest hot-button issue in the conflict over states' rights, but it was by absolutely no means the ONLY issue. In any case, just go by Lincoln's own statements through the beginning of the war that he was preserving the Union and not trying to interfere with the institution of slavery.

The idea that Lincoln was elected and started raising an army to march south to free the slaves is absolutely positively absurd. Slavery was more important to hot-headed southern leaders than it was to Lincoln and Union leaders early in the war. I've always thought the rush to secession was very premature.

Truthfully, I abhor the idea of slavery. Slavery could have been fixed; however, we have yet to find a way to fix the damage done to the rights of the states and a constrained Federal government as a result of the war.

The only way to really keep the war from happening was for the North to buy out all the slaves then free them. I don't know if it really would have solved all the issues but it would have solved slavery. But the hatred the 2 sides built against each other was too big for any reasonable solution.

Scott D
7/26/2010, 07:24 PM
congrats nick, you failed again

ndpruitt03
7/26/2010, 07:30 PM
congrats nick, you failed again

War that loses 600k lives is always good.

Scott D
7/26/2010, 07:35 PM
ok I'll bite. How would the north 'buying out' all of the slaves have prevented an increased industrialist v. agriculturalist agenda from manipulating matters in Washington D.C. that would have led to the frustrations which brought forth the onset of said war?

ndpruitt03
7/26/2010, 08:24 PM
It's not like the south was much more industrialized after the war. Of course the north would have to help the south industrialize. But you really think a war changed things or made them decide to help out the south any faster. They were still slow in reconstruction after the war.

The only thing the war really did was kill more than half a million people that shouldn't have been killed. But I agree the war was inevitable because of how bad both sides went at each other. But if Jefferson or Adams or Washington or a few others had their way in the 1700s there would have not have been the slavery issue to blind both sides.

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2010, 08:33 PM
The only way to really keep the war from happening was for the North to buy out all the slaves then free them. I don't know if it really would have solved all the issues but it would have solved slavery. But the hatred the 2 sides built against each other was too big for any reasonable solution.

This is the most bizarre and weirdest suggestion I've ever heard. I mean, where the hell did you learn or pick up all this nutty *** **** you come up with?

olevetonahill
7/26/2010, 08:37 PM
He finds it where he keeps his head.

ndpruitt03
7/26/2010, 08:46 PM
Actually I'm not the first to suggest that. As far as I know slavery went on in more than just America. The slave trade went all over the world really and all of those places got rid of slavery without a civil war. Britain basically did what I just said. Now I agree that wasn't going to happen in America for a ton of reasons. Mostly just because of the hatred that had grown between the south and the north.

Scott D
7/26/2010, 08:54 PM
Just stop...either stop, or buy yourself a backhoe for the big hole you're digging yourself.

ndpruitt03
7/26/2010, 08:55 PM
If you really think war is the solution to all problems then fine. I'm not the only one that believes war as the end all be all. We should never have joined WW1 either. It was stupid for us to join that war which was already about done. We did nothing during that war and weren't ready for it.

CigdTwwO7-I

Sic'em you would love Mr. Paul's views on Abe Lincoln to. They are right there with yours.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 08:57 PM
If you really think war is the solution to all problems then fine. I'm not the only one that believes war as the end all be all. We should never have joined WW1 either. It was stupid for us to join that war which was already about done. We did nothing during that war and weren't ready for it.

Best way to fight a war. Wait for the thing to be just about over and jump in on the winning side. Sounds like pretty smart strategy to me. :D

Scott D
7/26/2010, 09:01 PM

CigdTwwO7-I

Sic'em you would love Mr. Paul's views on Abe Lincoln to. They are right there with yours.

I'm going to just have to request on behalf of the entire board that you just stop posting in this thread.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2010, 09:12 PM
The South had agreed that by 1808 that they would stop the importation of slaves and they succeeding in dragging that out until around 1820 when it became punishable by death. The South's inability to transition its slaves into freedmen over 70 years is reprehensible. They hide behind "states rights! states rights!" all the while failing to have ever made any legitimate effort at transitioning their backwards *** treatment of human beings into something more humane, just and not to mention profitable. It's clear that the Southerners (of which my family was a member) brought a knife to a gun fight because they had developed a way of life that was simply unsustainable, yet they persisted on ignoring the revolution that was going on around them. They just shoved a finger in each ear and started whistlin' Dixie, promising everyone that one day they'd quit their dirty habit. They needed an intervention in the worst way.

picasso
7/26/2010, 09:15 PM
http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/hankwilliamsjr.jpg

TUSooner
7/26/2010, 09:31 PM
Nothing to here, here folks. Everybody just move on along home.

picasso
7/26/2010, 09:36 PM
If the South would’ve won we'd a had it made,
I'd prob’ly run for President of the Southern State.
The day Elvis passed away would be our national holiday,
If the South would a won we'd had a it made.

I'd make my Supreme Court down in Texas,
And we wouldn't have no killers gettin’off free.
If they were proven guilty, then they would swing quickly,
Instead of writin’ books and smilin’ on T.V.

We'd all learn Cajun cookin’ in Louisiana,
And I'd put that capitol back in Alabama.
We'd put Florida on the right track ‘cause, we'd take Miami back,
And throw all them pushers in the slammer.

If the South would’ve won we'd a had it made,
I'd prob’ly run for President of the Southern States.
The day young Skynyrd died we’d show our Southern Pride,
If the South would a won we'd had a it made.

I'd have all the whiskey made in Tennessee,
And all the horses raised in those Kentucky hills.
The national treasury would be in Tupelo, Mississippi
And I'd put Hank Williams’ picture on one hundred dollar bills.

I'd have all the cars made in the Carolina's,
And I'd ban all the ones made in China.
I'd have every girl and child sent to Georgia to learn to smile,
And talk with that southern accent that drives me wild.

I'd have all the fiddles made in Virginia
‘Cause they sure can make 'em sound so fine.
I'm goin’ up on Wolverton mountain and see ol’ Clifton Clowers,
And have a sip of his good ol’ Arkansas wine.

Hey, if the South woulda won we'd had it made
I'd prob’ly run for President of the Southern States,
When Patsy Cline passed away that would be our national holiday,
If the South woulda won we'd a had it made.

If the South woulda won we'd a had it made.

We might even be better off.

da da ling ling ling...

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 10:50 PM
I been singing that damn song all day from reading this thread. :D

Well, the few words I know anyway.

GKeeper316
7/27/2010, 02:05 AM
Uhh... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_Brazil)

ok ill amend... brasil wasnt a collection of semi-autonomous states in which half was populated by rich, lazy *******s trying to perpetuate the forced labor of an entire race, while the other half tried to destroy said institution of forced labor. i'm pretty sure when brasil decided to outlaw slavery, half the people didnt get all riled up and go to war under the guise of "state's rights".