PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant is starting trouble in Big D already. LOL!!!

nBoSTP
7/25/2010, 09:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5409306

Even though Williams is a D-Bag Bryant needs to gain respect from his teammates and carry his pads but no he would rather be a D-Bag himself. LOSERS!!!!!

TUSooner
7/25/2010, 09:31 PM
You have to be pretty durn doooshbaggy to make TFRW look good.
Congrats to D-which-no-longer-stands-for-Dez Bryant for out-dooooshing TFRW!
Couldn't happen to a better team, either. :P

gaylordfan1
7/25/2010, 09:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5409306

Even though Williams is a D-Bag Bryant needs to gain respect from his teammates and carry his pads but no he would rather be a D-Bag himself. LOSERS!!!!!

I will agree with that.... to an extent. We all know hazing happens in the NFL. And for the most part its in good fun, on both sides of the actions.

But, I can totally see Williams being condescending and trying to treat Bryant like a his little B****. And if someone was talking like that to me, I would do the same as Bryant.

Lets be honest. Williams has been a huge bust in the NFL, and is prob acting out to a rookie realizing his starting position is in jeopardy.

I'm not taking sides here. It's part of the job being a rookie. Doing mundane tasks during the off-season. But I can see Williams being a huge SUMMERS EVE brand ******.

Leroyt
7/25/2010, 09:44 PM
If doing what vets do to rookies makes him the equivalent of a hanging pine tree freshener for cooters, then I would imagine you'd have beef with most of the NFL. Williams has been very complimentary of dez (as he should be, since he had a hell of a day in practice based on reports), so you might want to tap the brakes.

gaylordfan1
7/25/2010, 09:48 PM
As I stated I have no beef with the fun hearted hazing that goes on in the NFL. Like I said, it comes with the job. I was just saying I can see TFRW being a tool about it. Thats all. Sorry to hurt your feelers. :)

rawlingsHOH
7/25/2010, 10:08 PM
jackas move. know your role.

badger
7/25/2010, 10:18 PM
Dez is asking for trouble... unless he only refused TFRW's shoulder pads and would carry a different teammates. I have a feeling TFRW isn't all too respected in Big D's locker room and if Dez refused to be TFRW's beyonce, that might gain more respect.

But... if Dez refuses rookie hazing from all vets, he's asking for something far worse than shoulder pad duty.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 01:37 AM
"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."

Looks like we'll see TFRW in jail pretty soon.

I actually gained some respect for Dez.

gaylordfan1
7/26/2010, 01:42 AM
Yup, maybe TFRW will be regretting that quote in the near future.

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 03:04 AM
Hey dez,, youve earned it. You proven that you can lie which leads to abandoning your teammates and manage to be a easy WR to be shut down against OU other than his 1 td he caught in 2008. Jeeezus your a 23 year old kid, on a bit** is worried about being a bit**.

AlbqSooner
7/26/2010, 06:14 AM
Contrast this behavior and attitude with Blake Griffin carrying a faggy backpack at the request of the Clippers veterans and bringing doughnuts to practices.
Some things you do to demonstrate that you are a team guy. Dez is once again demonstrating that it is all about Dez.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 06:58 AM
Williams, an Odessa, Texas, native and University of Texas product, is a frequent target of fan criticism due to his poor production since being traded from the Detroit Lions during the 2008 season. He was booed during Sunday morning's practice when he dropped a pass, although Pro Bowler Miles Austin didn't get similar treatment when he had a drop in the afternoon session.

Even his own state doesn't love him.

swardboy
7/26/2010, 07:53 AM
Trainwreck a'comin'......

mehip
7/26/2010, 08:17 AM
Good for Dez in this instance; hazing belongs in Jr. High. That and TFRW is a complete ****** bag.

Soonerntxs
7/26/2010, 08:32 AM
DRAMA, DRAMA

Next weeks headlines: JOCK STRAPPED TO BLEACHER

COWBOYS ROOKIE the "D", DEZ, self proclaimed next best thing, was found Monday morning strapped to a bleacher with several jockstraps; speachless, due to a dirty sock being stuffed in his mouth, "D" was moaning in pain as there was a freah tatoo on his backside that read ROY'S BIT*H.

Just wait, these guys get pretty nasty when the rookies disrespect there AU-THOR-I-TIE

MiccoMacey
7/26/2010, 08:34 AM
Good for Dez in this instance; hazing belongs in Jr. High. That and TFRW is a complete ****** bag.

I want to agree with you here...I'm against hazing. Just never seen the need for it.

Having said that, it's not like they're talking about doing something to him (the bad haircut the OLinemen get, or eating someone's shoe inserts or something like that). I don't have any problem standing up to stuff like that.

Carry the pads. The veterans will actually respect you more, and at the end of the year, once you've replaced Wlliams as the starter, you can make him carry your pads.

Soonerntxs
7/26/2010, 08:40 AM
I want to agree with you here...I'm against hazing. Just never seen the need for it.

Having said that, it's not like they're talking about doing something to him (the bad haircut the OLinemen get, or eating someone's shoe inserts or something like that). I don't have any problem standing up to stuff like that.

Carry the pads. The veterans will actually respect you more, and at the end of the year, once you've replaced Wlliams as the starter, you can make him carry your pads.

This says it ALL, politics & foolball!

badger
7/26/2010, 08:53 AM
Contrast this behavior and attitude with Blake Griffin carrying a faggy backpack at the request of the Clippers veterans and bringing doughnuts to practices.
Some things you do to demonstrate that you are a team guy. Dez is once again demonstrating that it is all about Dez.

Blake's always been a team guy and a nice guy since his OU days.

I think it's a wide receiver thing to celebrate one's self. I mean, after all, they're the ones dancing in the endzones after TDs, while the O-line, QB et al still back at the line of scrimmage

stoops the eternal pimp
7/26/2010, 09:12 AM
interesting that the opinions I read over at OP are about the same as here

SoonerPr8r
7/26/2010, 09:54 AM
I just heard this on the radio in one of the news updates and the only thing that stood out is that they called TFRW a former OU player! I am so glad they clarified because I was completely confused as to why Dez would be having problems with a basketball coach:rolleyes:

Shakadoodoo
7/26/2010, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't carry nothing for a Longhorn either! Unless they were longhorn stakes I had to carry to the grill!

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 11:55 AM

If I can make a grown man carry my stuff, why would I respect him?

Some things you do to demonstrate that you are a team guy.

Gee, I can think of many ways of doing that:

1. Practicing hard
2. Encouraging teammates
3. Listening and learning
4. Taking an active interest in the organization

To say that we need hazing to demonstrate teamwork is nonsense. That's not its purpose. If anything, hazing can tear teamwork down, which is why so many coaches ban it.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't carry nothing for a Longhorn either! Unless they were longhorn stakes I had to carry to the grill!

If you can eat longhorn stakes, then you're pretty tough.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 12:07 PM
If I can make a grown man carry my stuff, why would I respect him?

Gee, I can think of many ways of doing that:

1. Practicing hard
2. Encouraging teammates

To say that we need hazing to demonstrate teamwork is nonsense. That's not its purpose. If anything, hazing can tear teamwork down, which is why so many coaches ban it.

were you ever a rookie?

Shakadoodoo
7/26/2010, 12:09 PM
1. Practicing hard
2. Encouraging teammates

Well said!

Hazing has show time and time again to be very unnecessary - If a team wants to work on team work - call meetings and practices where it is just the players and no coach in involved - there are many team building things you can do - carrying someone else's shoulder pads is not one of them.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 12:10 PM
were you ever a rookie?

Irrelevant.

Shakadoodoo
7/26/2010, 12:14 PM
If you can eat longhorn stakes, then you're pretty tough.

lol - can you turn them into hamburger or sausage patties? :D

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 12:22 PM
Berry Tramel weighs in:

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/07/26/dez-bryant-standing-up-to-a-stupid-tradition/?custom_click=wi

Dez Bryant: Standing up to a stupid tradition
Posted by berrytramel
on July 26, 2010M at 6:44 am

Dez Bryant took a gamble Sunday afternoon in San Antonio. Who knows if it will pay off? But give Bryant credit for standing up to a stupid tradition.

Bryant refused to play along with the NFL’s long-standing tradition of rookie hazing. Veteran Roy Williams, whose job is in jeopardy courtesy of Bryant’s extraordinary receiving skills, laid down his shoulder pads and demanded that the rookie carry the equipment into the locker room.
Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant leans back to catch a pass during drills at practice on the opening day of Cowboys NFL football training camp, Saturday, July 24, 2010, in San Antonio, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant leans back to catch a pass during drills at practice on the opening day of Cowboys NFL football training camp, Saturday, July 24, 2010, in San Antonio, Texas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

Carry them yourself, Bryant said.

I applaud Bryant’s stance. Rookie hazing is a time-honored tradition in every sport. And a stupid one. Hazing in general is idiotic, perpetuated by low-thinking personalities who believe it builds, uh, well, I’m not sure they believe it builds anything. But it was done to them, so they’ll do it unto others.

Which is an absurd cycle.

“I’m not doing it,” Bryant said. “I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player’s pads.”

Bryant’s declaration is on solid rock. The only trouble is Bryant’s shaky past, which includes losing his eligibility at Oklahoma State for lying to NCAA investigators, which helped drop him down to the 24th pick in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft.

Those who embrace convention and say rookies should be hazed because rookies always have been hazed now can say that Bryant is just a troublemaker.

But sometimes it takes a rookie to walk into a culture and call it out for its ridiculousness. Dez Bryant should no more have to carry Roy Williams’ shoulder pads than Dez should have to pay Williams’ income tax.

These sophomoric rituals in sports are absurd. And they also go against everything you’re taught about teamwork and brotherhood. Teammates are supposed to be all in this together, yet these artificial classes are created for reasons that escape me.

“Everybody has to go through it,” Williams said. “I had to go through it. No matter if you’re a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you’ve still got to do something when you’re a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn’t want to be that guy.”

What guy? The guy that identifies silliness? The guy brave enough to stand up to more-established players who are being knuckleheads?

Some have said Bryant might lose the respect of his teammates with his stance. Maybe. But what if he gains the respect of some of his teammates?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 12:23 PM
lol - can you turn them into hamburger or sausage patties? :D

Maybe I should have italicized "stakes."

PalmBeachSooner
7/26/2010, 12:27 PM
I live in San Antonio (home of the cowboys training camp) and one of the local stations interviewed Romo and Phillips and they had nothing but good things to say about Dez. They also interviewed Dez and he seemed to be extremely humble and trying to do everything he could to get in good graces with Romo.

There's definitely no attitude problem.

Shakadoodoo
7/26/2010, 12:32 PM
Maybe I should have italicized "stakes."

lol - damn - OK - I got you. my mistake! Glad I'm not the English teacher - I should be reprimanded for bad spelling!

mehip
7/26/2010, 12:48 PM
Carry the pads. The veterans will actually respect you more,....

I guess I just find that asinine. If respect is the goal then hard work, doing the things that need to be done on the practice field and playing the role that your team needs you in is really what matters. Doing childish chores for grown men is just silly.

CowboyMRW
7/26/2010, 12:50 PM
Hey dez,, youve earned it. You proven that you can lie which leads to abandoning your teammates and manage to be a easy WR to be shut down against OU other than his 1 td he caught in 2008. Jeeezus your a 23 year old kid, on a bit** is worried about being a bit**.

He had 2 that game if I'm not mistaken

agoo758
7/26/2010, 12:57 PM
I found it rather disturbing that the reporters laughed when they quoted Roy Williams threatening to make fraudulent chargers on Bryant's credit card. In every other state that's considered "theft" and can result in fines or jail time, but of course in Te*as, the law doesn't apply to the rich and famous

homerSimpsonsBrain
7/26/2010, 12:59 PM
Blake's always been a team guy and a nice guy since his OU days.

I think it's a wide receiver thing to celebrate one's self. I mean, after all, they're the ones dancing in the endzones after TDs, while the O-line, QB et al still back at the line of scrimmage

Completely unrelated Blake Griffin story. My son and his HS Baseball team were in Norman for a tourny. They see BG at the mall minding his own business and they proceed to mob him. According to my son he was as classy as anyone you'd ever meet. Talked to them for a few minutes and took pictures. Cant picture Dez or TFRW doing that.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 01:09 PM
Completely unrelated Blake Griffin story. My son and his HS Baseball team were in Norman for a tourny. They see BG at the mall minding his own business and they proceed to mob him. According to my son he was as classy as anyone you'd ever meet. Talked to them for a few minutes and took pictures. Cant picture Dez or TFRW doing that.

Criminy! He refused to be pushed around by an older player. That doesn't make him Jack the Ripper.

MiccoMacey
7/26/2010, 01:13 PM
I guess I just find that asinine. If respect is the goal then hard work, doing the things that need to be done on the practice field and playing the role that your team needs you in is really what matters. Doing childish chores for grown men is just silly.

That's a false dichotomy. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Why can't he work hard and do the things he needs to do on the field, AND carry his teammates gear?

In all honesty, like I said in my first post, I'm really against hazing. I just don't consider this "hazing" (trust me, if you've ever actually been "hazed", you'd know the difference).

As a rookie on the fire department, I had to do all the chores because that's what's expected of me. If those above me told me to carry their boots off the truck, I'd do it and not think a thing of it. Carrying someone else's gear isn't hazing.

agoo758
7/26/2010, 01:53 PM
Carrying someone else's gear isn't hazing.

If it isn't hazing, I assume it wouldn't be a problem is Dez asked Roy to carry HIS gear?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 01:57 PM
If it isn't hazing, I assume it wouldn't be a problem is Dez asked Roy to carry HIS gear?

Bingo!

yankee
7/26/2010, 02:06 PM
If anything, hazing can tear teamwork down, which is why so many coaches ban it.

lol this isn't anywhere CLOSE to "hazing", trust me.

dez should have manned up and done it. there are rookies like sam bradford who just try to be one of the guys, and i guess there are the dez bryant's who are above some guys...

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 02:13 PM
lol this isn't anywhere CLOSE to "hazing", trust me.

dez should have manned up and done it. there are rookies like sam bradford who just try to be one of the guys, and i guess there are the dez bryant's who are above some guys...

If he has to "man up," then it's hazing.

SoonerAtKU
7/26/2010, 02:15 PM
I think you have this sort of thing in any sort of "fraternity" atmosphere, from actual fraternities, to firehouses (as posted above), to sports. It's a way to say to someone who is an outsider or newcomer that this is a group that has structure, rules, and a hierarchy. It's just a stupid way to say it, done by people who don't know how to express their actual thoughts or feelings.

Everything that is "accomplished" via hazing could be accomplished with a firm handshake and a 15 minute conversation over a steak and a beer. And nobody has to rub pepper in their eyes or clean a toilet.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 02:18 PM
were you ever a rookie?

The chances are that he never was an athlete at all, and that's why he can't understand this.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 02:29 PM
I think you have this sort of thing in any sort of "fraternity" atmosphere, from actual fraternities, to firehouses (as posted above), to sports. It's a way to say to someone who is an outsider or newcomer that this is a group that has structure, rules, and a hierarchy. It's just a stupid way to say it, done by people who don't know how to express their actual thoughts or feelings.

Go back and read TFRW's comments. Nothing in there even hints that the hazing is done for any higher purpose. What is his rationale? "It was done to me, so I need to do it to him." That's it. It's just the NFL's version of prison rape.

Now, how is Team Leader TFRW going to handle the situation where an incoming player is not responding to the team's efforts to improve teamwork?

"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."

Yeah, TFRW is a real professional team leader. :rolleyes:

The chances are that he never was an athlete at all, and that's why he can't understand this.

I can make up stories about being a great athlete just like you can. Well, I'm probably not as accomplished at it as you are.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 02:31 PM
It's not about being a great athlete. It's about playing...which you apparently never did.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 02:36 PM
It's not about being a great athlete. It's about playing...which you apparently never did.

Actually I did, in high school. So now what?

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 02:43 PM
I can make up stories about being a great athlete just like you can. Well, I'm probably not as accomplished at it as you are.

Nothing to do with prowess. Just about being part of a team. If you never were maybe it would justify your stance.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 02:47 PM
Nothing to do with prowess. Just about being part of a team. If you never were maybe it would justify your stance.

Well, I was. In high school.

So now that you're ad hominem attack has failed, what's the next step in your grand reasoning strategy?

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 02:47 PM

Well, I was. In high school.

So now that you're ad hominem attack has failed, what's the next step in your grand reasoning strategy?

You tear down the individual to build the TEAM.

Whether it be in military, sports, etc. They all exemplify this. If you were part of a high school football team, then you know how this works. You do a lot of "stupid" things the coaches or seniors make you do to form camaraderie and bonds with your teammates.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 02:52 PM

Whether it be in military, sports, etc. They all exemplify this. If you were part of a high school football team, then you know how this works. You do a lot of "stupid" things the coaches or seniors make you do to form camaraderie and bonds with your teammates.

Yeah, I'm going to form a strong camaraderie with a guy who makes me carry his lunch plate for him.

Since you know so much about what it takes to build a team, explain the following quote from Bill Walsh:

We didn't allow it. We didn't allow any hazing whatsoever. Players should be able to focus totally on their performance and their effort to make the team. They shouldn't be distracted or maligned. And it really worked out because there were men who came in and started as rookies and were included on the team the minute they arrived. And guys like Billy Ring and Milt McCall who came to us as free agents. They were allowed to compete for a job rather than be distracted and embarrassed through hazing. There's always one cruel person if there is any form of hazing. It just takes one cruel person who mistreats others. That can really have an effect on them and, consequently, an effect on the team's performance.

But you know more than Bill Walsh about what it takes to build a winning team, right?

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 02:54 PM
This is exactly why Ced Benson got run out of Chicago. His teammates hated the guy so much, they'd light his assup in non-contact drills, just for being that guy.

Team first, Dez. Shut your mouth and do what is asked of you.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I'm going to form a strong camaraderie with a guy who makes me carry his lunch plate for him.

Since you know so much about what it takes to build a team, explain the following quote from Bill Walsh:

But you know more than Bill Walsh about what it takes to build a winning team, right?

I don't consider carrying pads/bags or signing fight songs "hazing". Sorry.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/26/2010, 02:57 PM
In speaking of Walsh,

Hazing in 82 and what some term as hazing now are nothing alike...

That being said, We'll quickly into the season how much any of this matters

agoo758
7/26/2010, 03:02 PM
This is exactly why Ced Benson got run out of Chicago. His teammates hated the guy so much, they'd light his assup in non-contact drills, just for being that guy.

Team first, Dez. Shut your mouth and do what is asked of you.

Have you notice how all the "vets" on the Bears have drastically underacheived the last 20 something years?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:03 PM
I don't consider carrying pads/bags or signing fight songs "hazing". Sorry.

It is very clear in Walsh's comments that he would not have allowed veterans to force incoming players to carry their equipment.

And it really worked out because there were men who came in and started as rookies and were included on the team the minute they arrived.

He clearly states that he never tolerated a caste system between veterans and rookies. It's about attitude, not severity.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 03:04 PM
It is very clear in Walsh's comments that he would not have allowed veterans to force incoming players to carry their equipment.

and for every Walsh, there are 10 champions who did

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 03:06 PM
Have you notice how all the "vets" on the Bears have drastically underacheived the last 20 something years?
Patriots seem to overachieve, hey?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:06 PM
In speaking of Walsh,

Hazing in 82 and what some term as hazing now are nothing alike...

They are founded on the same faulty premise: Making incoming rookies perform humiliating acts somehow bonds them to the team. Walsh clearly states that such is not the case. And while I can't stand him, he knows more about building a team in sports than any of us in here.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 03:08 PM
They are founded on the same faulty premise: Making incoming rookies perform humiliating acts somehow bonds them to the team. Walsh clearly states that such is not the case. And while I can't stand him, he knows more about building a team in sports than any of us in here.
Uh, that's not the question, as none of us compose the majority of professional teams that do it.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:12 PM
and for every Walsh, there are 10 champions who did

Sure, many coaches have looked the other way because they felt they had more important things to do. The question is whether hazing is necessary to build teamwork. It clearly is not, otherwise Walsh would have instituted such a system.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:20 PM
Uh, that's not the question, as none of us compose the majority of professional teams that do it.

The Vikings banned it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2547145

If hazing was a proven technique, why wouldn't NFL teams institute a system to promote it?

Here's a comment from Chris Liwienski, a ten-year NFL veteran offensive lineman:

"The league is competitive, and if we need rookies to step in and make plays for us then we need to start embracing them as teammates as early as we can and not alienate them," said Liwienski, who was taped to the goal post and covered in shaving cream as a rookie.

Contrast that reasoned with the juvenile grunting of TFRW and you will see the difference.

ashley
7/26/2010, 03:43 PM
My high school coach did not tolerate such fifty yrs. ago nor did I tolerate it when I coached. That being said, I do not believe carrying pads in or being asked to singing a song can be considered humiliating.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:46 PM
The humiliation is the whole point of it. It's playing the veteran's bitch. And the humiliation is why Dez refuses to do it.

MR2-Sooner86
7/26/2010, 03:49 PM
In all honesty, like I said in my first post, I'm really against hazing. I just don't consider this "hazing" (trust me, if you've ever actually been "hazed", you'd know the difference).

“Hazing” refers to any activity expected of someone joining a group (or to maintain full status in a group) that humiliates, degrades or risks emotional and/or physical harm, regardless of the person's willingness to participate."

Being in a fraternity I know what hazing is. If you get some pissed off parents with a good lawyer, hazing can define a whole lot of things.

Making Dez carry the pads is the same as making a pledge get a member a beer at a party and I've seen people get in trouble for it because it falls in the bounds of hazing.

agoo758
7/26/2010, 03:53 PM
One thing that bothers me is how Dez is thought of as "immature" for refusing to participate in this. I find even more immautre how Roy Williams is acting because someone told him "no".

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 03:57 PM
One thing that bothers me is how Dez is thought of as "immature" for refusing to participate in this. I find even more immautre how Roy Williams is acting because someone told him "no".

Look at this from a teamwork standpoint: Dez is coming across as more interested in his performance for the team than TFRW, who only is concerned about not getting his chance to push another player around.

agoo758
7/26/2010, 04:05 PM
Look at this from a teamwork standpoint: Dez is coming across as more interested in his performance for the team than TFRW, who only is concerned about not getting his chance to push another player around.

Exactly. If Williams was trying to haze with the objective of helping the team, he would not have made such a big deal about this and created a whole bunch of controversy so visible to the public.

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 04:17 PM
Its all a team thing and for those of us who played football its just something you do. Remember, sports are GAMES whether they are pro or not. If your not having fun, your not gonna be good.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 04:37 PM
Its all a team thing and for those of us who played football its just something you do. Remember, sports are GAMES whether they are pro or not. If your not having fun, your not gonna be good.

Correction: It's a team thing for the veterans, not the rookies. As Bill Walsh points out, hazing essentially tells incoming rookies that they are not a part of the team, which is why he banned it.

And who is having fun here? The team? Or just certain players on the team?

Is it harmless? If it constitutes a practical joke that has no lasting effect, sure. If everyone can laugh when it's all over, fine. But to try and make it more than that is ludicrous. It has no real benefit. It's just a stupid thing people do.

freshchris05
7/26/2010, 04:53 PM
offseason sucks ***...

MR2-Sooner86
7/26/2010, 04:53 PM

I've done sold my cows so you can take your bull someplace else.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not reading this entire thread, but hazing is one of the gheyest things ever devised by mankind.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 05:03 PM

Let's just pretend you did play sports in high school, you played as the youngest class on varsity on up to the oldest, and that this sport was football. Why should I continue this argument? Your only reason for posting in this thread is to argue with everybody. If everybody said this was bad for the team you would've come in and said it was good. You found somebody who banned "hazing." Good job. I can name plenty that haven't.

C&CDean
7/26/2010, 05:08 PM
Why are all the ****ing jackwads in football at the wideout position?

Eielson
7/26/2010, 05:18 PM
Why are all the ****ing jackwads in football at the wideout position?

Because while everybody else is seeking contact on every play, WR's are literally running as far away from it as they can.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 05:30 PM
Let's just pretend you did play sports in high school, you played as the youngest class on varsity on up to the oldest, and that this sport was football. Why should I continue this argument? Your only reason for posting in this thread is to argue with everybody. If everybody said this was bad for the team you would've come in and said it was good. You found somebody who banned "hazing." Good job. I can name plenty that haven't.

One small problem: Not banning hazing doesn't indicate that the coach thinks hazing builds teamwork.

My university hasn't banned red cars from its parking lots. That doesn't mean it thinks red cars are somehow beneficial to the university.

Read Bill Walsh's comments. He isn't just "somebody." And he puts forth a very cogent argument against hazing that he has backed up with success and expertise.

What have you provided? Some obscure references to teamwork that you can't even clearly delineate.

Again, if hazing was really necessary to build teamwork, coaches would have instituted it as a policy and administered it themselves. That is not at all what is taking place in Dallas. What you have is a veteran taking it upon himself to force a rookie to carry his stuff. That is hardly the sign of a concerted effort to help the team. And if you disagree, show me anything said by TFRW that indicates their was a higher purpose to his hazing.

Btw, you don't know me very well. This hazing issue has cropped up here before and I have been very consistent with my stance.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 05:33 PM
Hazing sucks!

...and it does not build teamwork.

It is simply a vehicle for someone older to tell someone younger to do something stupid.

...and no, I wasn't unmercilessly hazed back in the day thus causing my stance against it. :D

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 05:35 PM
...and no, I wasn't unmercilessly hazed back in the day thus causing my stance against it. :D

Curly, you took away the Neanderthal's primary rhetorical strategy. (Well, that and the obligatory "How much sports did you play?" bullcrap.)

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 05:38 PM
Played lots of it.

Coached lots of it.

Hazing is stupid, does nothing to build teamwork, but it does tell younger players that the older players are somehow better than they are, even if that isn't the case.

For example: Is it OK for a senior that doesn't start on a team to haze a freshman that does start? It could certainly be argued that the freshman is more important to the success of the team, but the senior gets to haze them just because they're older? Is that really the message to be sending?

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 05:48 PM
Something I noticed about hazing stuff:

It's usually the less skilled, less successful, older players that took a leadership role in the stuff. It seemed that older players that were successful had no need to lord their older status over the younger kids, it was always the older kids that didn't have much going for them that were trying to prove some sort of superiority through hazing younger kids.

Roy Williams trying to make Dez carry his shoulder pads fits in nicely here huh? Not that Dez has really proven anything yet, but it looks like he could be a much better player than TFRW.

Breadburner
7/26/2010, 05:56 PM
Back in my day they put some Icy Hot on a toungue depresser and stuck it up your arse...I would have gladly just carried the pads......

Eielson
7/26/2010, 06:14 PM
Played lots of it.

Coached lots of it.

Hazing is stupid, does nothing to build teamwork, but it does tell younger players that the older players are somehow better than they are, even if that isn't the case.

For example: Is it OK for a senior that doesn't start on a team to haze a freshman that does start? It could certainly be argued that the freshman is more important to the success of the team, but the senior gets to haze them just because they're older? Is that really the message to be sending?

For me, it's all about earning your way and not having things given to you. There's nothing more annoying than a sophomore (or freshman) coming in thinking he runs the team from his first day on varsity. Everybody starts at the bottom. I'm not saying that older players should do inhumane things, but if they want to go ahead of you in line, that's their right. If there is a TV, it's their right to choose what channels it's on. If younger players that don't play are goofing off before a game, it's the older players right to straighten them out. If dummies need to be carried out to the practice fields, it's the younger guys' job. I refused to do some of this stuff late in my sophomore year, and then an older player pulled me aside. He said something along the lines of, "Hey man, we did all this stuff when we were your age. We need somebody on scout team and I understand you don't feel like it right now, but we don't either, and we've done our time. Just finish this year out, and next year you won't have to put up with seniority anymore." I continued for the rest of that season get brutalized on scout team by the starters, having no say in the locker room, taking the dummies out, bringing them back in, etc., because somebody had to do it, and I didn't want to be the one doing it when I was a junior or senior. A few practical jokes here and there didn't hurt anybody, either. It brightens the day and makes it go by faster. I'm not talking about maxing somebody's credit card or anything.

If a senior that doesn't start is bossing a freshman who does start around, I don't agree with that. I've never seen it, though.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 06:16 PM
Back in my day they put some Icy Hot on a toungue depresser and stuck it up your arse...I would have gladly just carried the pads......

Yeah, anybody that thinks carrying pads is bad is pretty clueless.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:17 PM
I have seen it. A senior that didn't start, thinking they're gonna tell my freshman PG that did start that they have to do this or that? Yeah, I don't think so.

...and that freshman did earn their spot - that's why they were the starter.

...and as I said: the senior primarily did it because they and everyone else knew the frosh was the better player, so they were trying to assert some superiority that I assure you did not exist.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, anybody that thinks carrying pads is bad is pretty clueless.

It's not bad, it's just stupid.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 06:23 PM
I have seen it. A senior that didn't start, thinking they're gonna tell my freshman PG that did start that they have to do this or that? Yeah, I don't think so.

...and that freshman did earn their spot - that's why they were the starter.

...and as I said: the senior primarily did it because they and everyone else knew the frosh was the better player, so they were trying to assert some superiority that I assure you did not exist.

Dez Bryant hasn't earned his spot, though. It's only training camp.

Eielson
7/26/2010, 06:31 PM
It's not bad, it's just stupid.

That's your opinion, and that's fine, but anybody claiming that Dez made the right move just doesn't have a clue what's going to happen next. I personally always carried my pads even when I wasn't one of the young guys, but I certainly didn't carry the dummies out, and that's not too terribly different.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:35 PM
If coaches want to have the younger kids carry stuff out that's fine, and my frosh got to do plenty of that stuff for me, but not do stuff because the older kids said so.

AZSOONER
7/26/2010, 06:37 PM
Carrying pads is about the easiest thing to do as a rookie. I'm curious to see if the Cowboy players take it to the next level now. They're probably having team meetings to be politically correct and not let this get out of hand.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:37 PM
Dez Bryant hasn't earned his spot, though. It's only training camp.

What has Roy Williams done to earn the right to ask anybody to do anything for him?

...and besides: I'm mostly talking about hazing in general.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:38 PM
Carrying pads is about the easiest thing to do as a rookie. I'm curious to see if the Cowboy players take it to the next level now. They're probably having team meetings to be politically correct and not let this get out of hand.

Wade Phillips has already said the team has a policy against hazing and if someone doesn't want to carry someone else's pads that's the end of it.

...and TFRW doesn't have the support to organize some team retribution against anyone.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/26/2010, 06:47 PM
I will agree with that.... to an extent. We all know hazing happens in the NFL. And for the most part its in good fun, on both sides of the actions.

But, I can totally see Williams being condescending and trying to treat Bryant like a his little B****. And if someone was talking like that to me, I would do the same as Bryant.

Lets be honest. Williams has been a huge bust in the NFL, and is prob acting out to a rookie realizing his starting position is in jeopardy.

I'm not taking sides here. It's part of the job being a rookie. Doing mundane tasks during the off-season. But I can see Williams being a huge SUMMERS EVE brand ******.one SHOULD take sides. TFRW is a whorn, alright, but Bryant is an ORANGE AGGY, FERGODSSAKES! A good Cowboys fan would NOT wish that those guys hurt each other, say in practice, or in a bar fight.

7/26/2010, 06:49 PM
Hey dez,, youve earned it. You proven that you can lie which leads to abandoning your teammates and manage to be a easy WR to be shut down against OU other than his 1 td he caught in 2008. Jeeezus your a 23 year old kid, on a bit** is worried about being a bit**.BEST ANSWER!

7/26/2010, 06:53 PM
I live in San Antonio (home of the cowboys training camp) and one of the local stations interviewed Romo and Phillips and they had nothing but good things to say about Dez. They also interviewed Dez and he seemed to be extremely humble and trying to do everything he could to get in good graces with Romo.

There's definitely no attitude problem.Are you aware he's an orange aggy? Be reasonable!

7/26/2010, 06:55 PM
I found it rather disturbing that the reporters laughed when they quoted Roy Williams threatening to make fraudulent chargers on Bryant's credit card. In every other state that's considered "theft" and can result in fines or jail time, but of course in Te*as, the law doesn't apply to the puke orange crybaby ref-payersfixed.

OK, I'll rest up, then read pgs. 2&3 of this thread.

Curly Bill
7/26/2010, 06:59 PM
Boys, there are lots of folks down here that have absolutely zero love for TFRW. He's been an absolute bust for the Cowboys, and though the whorns have lots of fans, there are also large numbers that detest them and everything they stand for.

I assure you: there are lots of peeps down here that think more highly of Dez Bryant after this, than they did before. Basically he told TFRW to **** off. Really, what's wrong with that?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 07:15 PM
For me, it's all about earning your way and not having things given to you.

I would think that a football player could do that by practicing hard, listening to his coach, putting out great effort on the field.. you know, the stuff that really matters.

Not carrying some dumbasses shoulder pads.

As for pulling the tackling dummies onto the field, that is a chore that is for the benefit of the team. That isn't hazing, because the job isn't meant to humiliate. Someone has to do it, so the younger guy gets it. Roy Williams was wanting Dez to carry HIS shoulder pads. Where's the team benefit of that? It's nothing more than an older player wanting someone else to do his crap for him.

You proven that you can lie which leads to abandoning your teammates and manage to be a easy WR to be shut down against OU other than his 1 td he caught in 2008.

Yeah, he should carry TFRW's shoulder pads because we all know TFRW proved his worth against us on a yearly basis. :rolleyes:

I assure you: there are lots of peeps down here that think more highly of Dez Bryant after this, than they did before. Basically he told TFRW to **** off. Really, what's wrong with that?

If you tell a rookie to carry your pads and he won't, you must either STFU or knock the crap out of him. Don't cry to the media and don't go running to your buddies for help in crafting a retaliation.

Scott D
7/26/2010, 07:18 PM
Looks like we'll see TFRW in jail pretty soon.

I actually gained some respect for Dez.

who knew that TFRW would be so heavily influenced by his brief time as teammates with Tatum Bell so much.

TXBOOMER
7/26/2010, 07:41 PM
I hope he throws the T.O. cancer on the locker room. F the cowboys!

ashley
7/26/2010, 07:54 PM
This is hazing. Good heavens.

7/26/2010, 08:02 PM
This is hazing. Good heavens.But it's OK. Bryant is at the bottom of the college pecking order, and needs to make amends for his poor decision-making in the past.

ashley
7/26/2010, 08:21 PM
One small problem: Not banning hazing doesn't indicate that the coach thinks hazing builds teamwork.

My university hasn't banned red cars from its parking lots. That doesn't mean it thinks red cars are somehow beneficial to the university.

Read Bill Walsh's comments. He isn't just "somebody." And he puts forth a very cogent argument against hazing that he has backed up with success and expertise.

What have you provided? Some obscure references to teamwork that you can't even clearly delineate.

Again, if hazing was really necessary to build teamwork, coaches would have instituted it as a policy and administered it themselves. That is not at all what is taking place in Dallas. What you have is a veteran taking it upon himself to force a rookie to carry his stuff. That is hardly the sign of a concerted effort to help the team. And if you disagree, show me anything said by TFRW that indicates their was a higher purpose to his hazing.

Btw, you don't know me very well. This hazing issue has cropped up here before and I have been very consistent with my stance.

You use coach Walsh as a model and I will certainly agree with. Now, on the the other Walsh was known to to cuss his players. I saw a documentary on Walsh last week where he was cussing a player with everything he had.
My question is obvious. Would you rather be cussed or carry in a vets pads?
It seemed to me that he thought it was a team building moment.

agoo758
7/26/2010, 08:23 PM
fixed.

OK, I'll rest up, then read pgs. 2&3 of this thread.

Hey rush, Ill hire you to be my designated fixer :D

agoo758
7/26/2010, 08:25 PM
You use coach Walsh as a model and I will certainly agree with. Now, on the the other Walsh was known to to cuss his players. I saw a documentary on Walsh last week where he was cussing a player with everything he had.

The point isn't so much that one would agree with ALL of Walsh's policies. but that his ability to win while prohibiting hazing shows that hazing is unecessary to building teamwork.

7/26/2010, 08:29 PM
Hey rush, Ill hire you to be my designated fixer :DI was reading your mind. I knew what you were thinking:gary:

agoo758
7/26/2010, 08:32 PM
What am i thinking now? :eek:

oudavid1
7/26/2010, 08:36 PM
I've done sold my cows so you can take your bull someplace else.

BEST ANSWER!

I got 2 totally different responses here.

So my point is, it was a simple task that he was not the first to do and its totally different than hazing. If baseball players throw pies in eachothers faces than i dont see the problem with shoulder pads and carrying them. I did it as a SO QB at my high school and later i was playing poker and having lunch with the older guys. Its only a big deal and a problem (between Dez and TFRW) is because HE DIDNT DO IT!

7/26/2010, 08:36 PM
What am i thinking now? :eek:Sorry. I was distracted. I missed that one.

rawlingsHOH
7/26/2010, 08:38 PM
The point isn't so much that one would agree with ALL of Walsh's policies. but that his ability to win while prohibiting hazing shows that hazing is unecessary to building teamwork.
that and having joe montana doesn't hurt either hahahaha

agoo758
7/26/2010, 08:41 PM
that and having joe montana doesn't hurt either hahahaha

Well, considering that he took a chance on a quarterback with a relatively weak arm, AND considering he took a chance by a selecting an unknown reciever out of mississippi valley state (you may ahve heard of him). Its certainly difficult to take away ALL of the credit:P

mehip
7/26/2010, 08:45 PM

I played football, wrestled, ran track and played baseball in Jr. High and HS. Never once did I have a coach that tolerated this nonsense. Sure, at times the coaches had the freshmen who lettered do a extra work, set-up and tear down the dummies and the sleds; but nothing to humiliate them. And given my personality if somebody had attempted to force me to do something stupid I would have told them to **** off and probably gotten into a fight. My mother raised me to take unnecessary **** from no one and my father tried to raise me to fear no man.

For camaraderie we did lots of things that didn't involve attempting to belittle the younger guys. One coach took us to pizza every week. For Saturday film sessions everyone took turns bringing breakfast and when we screwed in game coach would have everyone stand up and explain what went wrong, why and what should have been done..it didn't matter if it was the all-state tailback or the third string dt who was in during garbage time.

We were a tight team.We weren't the most talented but we never quit on each-other.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 08:52 PM

What has Bill Walsh said about the effectiveness of using profanity to build teams? I would find it unlikely he thought it any positive benefit. Most likely he swore at the player because he lost control of his temper.

As for which I would prefer? The profanity. The humiliation factor is a lot less than carrying a fellow player's equipment.

sOUnd
7/26/2010, 08:52 PM
I have read a lot and watched tv coverage today about this incident, and have heard all angles.

Having said this, I would have to say that this is a mistake not to go along with this harmless tradition. Not to mention that he gets all this unneeded attention.

Up until now, I've only heard generally positive things from OU fans about him going to Dallas. Now I think people are going to be watching him with a wary eye until he proves himself on the field.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/26/2010, 09:15 PM
Hazing is illegal. This is hazing. End of story.

Leroyt
7/26/2010, 09:39 PM
If you tell a rookie to carry your pads and he won't, you must either STFU or knock the crap out of him. Don't cry to the media and don't go running to your buddies for help in crafting a retaliation.

For you to have extrapolated so much from this puny non-news article (summary: rw asks db to carry pads. db says no, rw (likely when asked) says he'll go to step 2. the end) must make you a mind reading savant, which is to say you can read minds but likely walk around with skid-marked drawers. Or, it means you can't read minds and have embellished the article to support your "argument". Either way...huzzah!

Scott D
7/26/2010, 09:42 PM
if step 2 is fraudulently using db's plastic...then rw can find himself next to tb in the unemployment line for stealing teammates ****.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 10:21 PM
For you to have extrapolated so much from this puny non-news article (summary: rw asks db to carry pads. db says no, rw (likely when asked) says he'll go to step 2. the end) must make you a mind reading savant, which is to say you can read minds but likely walk around with skid-marked drawers. Or, it means you can't read minds and have embellished the article to support your "argument". Either way...huzzah!

Does anyone have the secret decoder ring?

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 10:23 PM
I have read a lot and watched tv coverage today about this incident, and have heard all angles.

Having said this, I would have to say that this is a mistake not to go along with this harmless tradition. Not to mention that he gets all this unneeded attention.

Up until now, I've only heard generally positive things from OU fans about him going to Dallas. Now I think people are going to be watching him with a wary eye until he proves himself on the field.

Dez only has to prove himself to Jerry Jones.

Wishboned
7/26/2010, 10:29 PM
Hazing is illegal. This is hazing. End of story.

I could be mistaken, but I believe it's only illegal in an educational/student type setting.

Leroy Lizard
7/26/2010, 10:30 PM
I think it's illegal in New Jersey and some other states for all organizations.

Wishboned
7/26/2010, 10:41 PM
I think it's illegal in New Jersey and some other states for all organizations.

Texas - §§ 37.151 to 37.157 and 51.936
Class B misdemeanor, Class A if results in bodily injury. State felony if results in death. An organization may be fined if it condones or encourages hazing. Medical personnel receive immunity from liability for reporting an incident of hazing if the report is made in good faith. Statutes apply to secondary educational institutions and institutions of higher learning only

MR2-Sooner86
7/27/2010, 01:41 AM
So my point is, it was a simple task that he was not the first to do and its totally different than hazing.

It is hazing and falls under the definition of hazing. Saying it's not isn't going to change it. As for "he wasn't the first to do it" is the biggest excuse I've heard yet. That's the exact same bull**** line I hear from guys who haze their pledges. "Well...it was done to me and it's tradition!"

If baseball players throw pies in eachothers faces than i dont see the problem with shoulder pads and carrying them.

If the baseball players want to get pies thrown in their faces then fine. If the rookies don't mind carrying the pads, fine. Dez didn't want to and has the right to say no. If you don't like it, tuff ****.

I did it as a SO QB at my high school and later i was playing poker and having lunch with the older guys.

You did it huh? Congratulations, you're a push over. When I pledged in the fraternity I'm in I didn't take the bull**** like so many people in here gladly ate by the spoon full because they didn't want to risk not "being accepted" by the others. I get along with everybody just fine and I didn't have to be submissive.

Its only a big deal and a problem (between Dez and TFRW) is because HE DIDNT DO IT!

Ah yes it's not a big deal because he didn't participate and since he didn't participate it's his own fault if his credit card gets maxed-out as punishment?

Look, kid, I know you think it's no big deal because you let your teammates walk over you and you see no problem in it. Believe me, doing a simple task can get you in so much trouble real fast. If parents can sue for their kid doing pushups and win because the judge says it's hazing and win lots of money, then all bets are off.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 02:30 AM
Ah yes it's not a big deal because he didn't participate and since he didn't participate it's his own fault if his credit card gets maxed-out as punishment?

But MR2, someone probably maxed out TFRW's credit cards in the past, so that makes it right.

oudavid1
7/27/2010, 01:41 PM
You did it huh? Congratulations, you're a push over.

So you wanna resort to name calling?

This pushover would like to know where i said that statement or agreed with it?

Look, kid,

Since im technically an adult, and you wanted to resort to name calling first, please dont call me kid.

because you let your teammates walk over you and you see no problem in it.

Once again, unfounded information. My first day, yeah they did, they did it to everyone and i didnt wanna feel special, 2 years later I was a team captain as the 3rd string QB, i couldnt play as well as everyone else but you bet your a** i had their respect.

Believe me, doing a simple task can get you in so much trouble real fast. If parents can sue for their kid doing pushups and win because the judge says it's hazing and win lots of money, then all bets are off.

This i can only be disappointed in, but i cant disagree with you.

rawlingsHOH
7/27/2010, 02:39 PM
The continued Wussification of American!

Carrying pads and singing your alma matter's fight song is now considered illegal hazing! LOL

badger
7/27/2010, 02:53 PM
There's an article on espn now that says the entire thing got blown out of proportion.

Basically, Dez didn't like TFRW's tone and wasn't aware of the tradition. So, he declined and said the stuff about "here to play football" et al.

Dez has said he'll take TFRW out for dinner and be nice to veterans and didn't mean any disrespect.

I tend to believe Dez, even though he's a well-documented liar. TFRW is also a well-documented arse, so it's entirely possible that he sounded like one when he told Dez to carry his pads.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 02:59 PM
The continued Wussification of American!

Carrying pads and singing your alma matter's fight song is now considered illegal hazing! LOL

What's so manly about having someone else carry your stuff?

adoniijahsooner
7/27/2010, 03:00 PM
To me the bottom-line is that Dez has been very impressive in practices so far, and come regular season that is the only thing that matters. What is worse...Alligator-arming a pass across the middle in a big game (RW), or refusing to carry someones pads (DB)?

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 03:05 PM
There's an article on espn now that says the entire thing got blown out of proportion.

Basically, Dez didn't like TFRW's tone and wasn't aware of the tradition. So, he declined and said the stuff about "here to play football" et al.

Dez has said he'll take TFRW out for dinner and be nice to veterans and didn't mean any disrespect.

I tend to believe Dez, even though he's a well-documented liar. TFRW is also a well-documented arse, so it's entirely possible that he sounded like one when he told Dez to carry his pads.

Most likely the coaches or management told him that the press coverage was becoming an issue and to smooth things over.

As for lying to the NCAA, he thought he was going to get his team into trouble if he told the truth. That's pretty understandable, even if wrong.

As for TFRW, you can almost bet that he was being a jackass about it.

And I can't imagine forcing someone to pay for my meal. If I was Dez, I would skip out on the check and just say that it has been a tradition in his family to stiff a new colleague on the first meal. "All of my ancestor's colleagues had to go through it. Why can't you?" Then we'd all laugh.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 03:07 PM
Dez gets upset because somebody asked him to carry something for them

Tatum Bell is upset that nobody will ask him to carry something

rawlingsHOH
7/27/2010, 03:09 PM
Compulsive LIAR.

From the NCAA, to the Shoes, to Pads. This guys changes his stories more often than Joran Vandersloot.

rawlingsHOH
7/27/2010, 03:11 PM
Most likely the coaches or management told him that the press coverage was becoming an issue and to smooth things over.

As for lying to the NCAA, he thought he was going to get his team into trouble if he told the truth. That's pretty understandable, even if wrong.

As for TFRW, you can almost bet that he was being a jackass about it.

And I can't imagine forcing someone to pay for my meal. If I was Dez, I would skip out on the check and just say that it has been a tradition in his family to stiff a new colleague on the first meal. "All of my ancestor's colleagues had to go through it. Why can't you?" Then we'd all laugh.

All fine and good! But please don't cry like a b*tch, like Ced Benson did, because all of his teammates hated him.

rawlingsHOH
7/27/2010, 03:13 PM
90/10 Rule

90% of people can see common sense, 10% either can't, or just argue to argue.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 03:35 PM
All fine and good! But please don't cry like a b*tch, like Ced Benson did, because all of his teammates hated him.

Did they hate him for good reasons, or because he refused to pay their bills?

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 03:36 PM
90/10 Rule

90% of people can see common sense, 10% either can't, or just argue to argue.

You are wrong. It's 92%.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 03:37 PM
Compulsive LIAR.

From the NCAA, to the Shoes, to Pads. This guys changes his stories more often than Joran Vandersloot.

I know about the NCAA. I know that he told a story about forgetting his shoes on a trip to the combines, but I'm not sure it was a lie. As for the pads, that instance begs the question.

tfoolry
7/27/2010, 03:39 PM
This wasn't hazing. TFRW just dropped his pads, just like he drops footballs. It just happened to occur right next to Dez. End of story.

oudavid1
7/27/2010, 03:53 PM
By the way, this isnt Sooner Football

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2010, 04:15 PM
"I didn't know nothing about no tradition," Bryant said

This cracks me up

badger
7/27/2010, 04:48 PM
In other Dez news, he is no longer an I WIILLLL! I WILLLLL! Under Armour spokesman.

In i-dare-not-start-a-new-tebow-thread news, Teebz is endorsing Jockey in something that sounds like an Under Armour knockoff. (http://www.jockey.com/tebow/) Staycool... hmm... yeah, gonna be Under Armour/Nike-like crap.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, now that's a thread shift.

Okay, Badger. I'll go ahead and post the pic of Tebow for you.

http://images.jockey.com/images/tebow/main_img.jpg

SouthFortySooner
7/27/2010, 05:10 PM
I came into a locker room of players who had won the state championship the previous year. It was their tradition to welcome the initiate with what they referred to as 'to three hair you'. Which meant as a unit every one would pull out a portion of your pubic hair leaving you with only 3 left. It was expected of you to fight like hell as to not do so would seem, well, queer. The ritual was only exacted on the players expected to contribute. It was an honor to stand in the showers with the vets bald as a baby. btw; we won it again that year. In TFRW's case I do not think he had a unit behind him, hence the 'glaring' problem it has stricken.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 05:15 PM
I came into a locker room of players who had won the state championship the previous year. It was their tradition to welcome the initiate with what they referred to as 'to three hair you'. Which meant as a unit every one would pull out a portion of your pubic hair leaving you with only 3 left. It was expected of you to fight like hell as to not do so would seem, well, queer as the guys doing the pulling.

FIFY

SouthFortySooner
7/27/2010, 05:33 PM
FIFY

What you might not realize is this was before being queer was cool.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I just can't see pubic hair pulling as cool. I'm just an old (straight) coot, I guess.

oudavid1
7/27/2010, 07:10 PM
Hey leroy, whats up with your avatars?

VA Sooner
7/27/2010, 07:20 PM
Prima donna.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 07:25 PM
Hey leroy, whats up with your avatars?

SF is going to hate you for even bringing it up. :D

Eielson
7/27/2010, 08:22 PM
By the way, this isnt Sooner Football

Calm down, noob.

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I just can't see pubic hair pulling as cool. I'm just an old (straight) coot, I guess.

Not only that but it was an HONOR to have his pubes pulled out by a bunch of other dudes.

Wow! :O

SoonerLB
7/27/2010, 09:36 PM
"I didn't know nothing about no tradition," Bryant said

This cracks me up

He learnt how to cammunicate when he at Stoolwater. :)

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 09:38 PM
He can't talk worth a damn, but at least he didn't take no crap from TFRW, and for that I think I may become a huge Dez Bryant fan. :D

SouthFortySooner
7/27/2010, 09:40 PM
Not only that but it was an HONOR to have his pubes pulled out by a bunch of other dudes.

Wow! :O

Not as much an honor as playin on a State Championship football TEAM.

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 09:50 PM
Not as much an honor as playin on a State Championship football TEAM.

...and I'm sure having your pubes ripped out contributed mightily to that right?

...or is that just a gay thing you guys liked to do that had nothing to do with the fact you were a good football team?

Eielson
7/27/2010, 09:50 PM
This pubic hair stuff is gay as hell.

oudavid1
7/27/2010, 10:41 PM
Calm down, noob.

Just dont make a form calling me out

SouthFortySooner
7/27/2010, 10:47 PM
...and I'm sure having your pubes ripped out contributed mightily to that right?

...or is that just a gay thing you guys liked to do that had nothing to do with the fact you were a good football team?

Is this where I am to tell you if we ever meet I can assure you I will make you understand there is nothing gay about me or the TEAM which proudly kicked *** all over this state.

Curly Bill
7/27/2010, 11:21 PM
Is this where I am to tell you if we ever meet I can assure you I will make you understand there is nothing gay about me or the TEAM which proudly kicked *** all over this state.

Sure, I guess.

All I'm sayin is your team probably would have won that state championship without some dumas right of passage where boys get off playing with other boy's junk.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 11:30 PM
If it takes pubic hair pulling to win, then sign me up for the team that goes 0-11.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 11:34 PM

How does one reach their hand around some other guys' nether regions without the ghost of Liberace giving him a French kiss?

What would compel someone to do that? It's Friday night. We have beer. We play football. I know... let's go pull the pants down on some guy and pull his pubic hair out.

Leroy Lizard
7/27/2010, 11:36 PM

More streamlined. Less chafing.

NASCAR has its wrenches. Baseball has its bats. As for football...

http://www.purchasedirect.com.au/images/Expert Tool Tweezers.jpg

The crack of a bat; the twink of a pubic hair being plucked...

oudavid1
7/28/2010, 03:53 AM
This thread was like the Union Army in 1865, went south in a hurry.

Leroy Lizard
7/28/2010, 01:53 PM
This thread was like the Union Army in 1865, went south in a hurry.

So did the tweezers.

Leroy Lizard
7/31/2010, 01:58 AM
More on the hazing:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/072710dnspocowlishawcol.3557f9f.html

[Coach Wade] Phillips spoke briefly to Bryant at the start of practice Monday but he didn't say what it was about. Phillips did say that he thinks hazing * even something as seemingly insignificant as carrying pads * has no place with the Cowboys.

"Rookies can play. I treat them the same as the rest of the players," Phillips said. "I don't believe you need to initiate anybody. It's not part of building a team."

Beyond that, there was a definite element of glee in Williams telling Bryant to carry his pads. This wasn't Miles Austin or Jason Witten or any of the other more decorated Cowboys trying to put a first-round pick through his paces.

This was Williams, the hugely disappointing receiver who has been and continues to be paid far beyond his value, trying to humiliate (even in a small way) the man who almost certainly stands to take his starting job this season.

And Williams could have put the story to rest Sunday afternoon when asked about it. Instead, he talked of what might come next for Bryant now that he had taken this rarely discussed tradition to the next level by refusing.

Pardon me if I agree with Phillips that the whole thing is silly.

"Any time you make someone uncomfortable it's not right," he said.

There have been other Cowboys who refused to sing alma maters as rookies in the dining hall. More tales come from other sports.

As a Cincinnati Reds rookie, Josh Hamilton declined to participate in a team tradition in which rookies were supposed to carry beer to the team charters.

It's hard to imagine that Bryant has a reason for not carrying pads that is as compelling as Hamilton's reluctance, as a recovering alcoholic, to distribute beer to teammates.

But if Bryant's one of the first players on the practice field most days, doing all he can to show he never should have fallen all the way to the 24th pick of the first round, is there anything else that really matters?

texaspokieokie
8/1/2010, 09:47 AM
now he's out for a few weeks.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/1/2010, 09:50 AM
More streamlined. Less chafing.

NASCAR has its wrenches. Baseball has its bats. As for football...

http://www.purchasedirect.com.au/images/Expert Tool Tweezers.jpg

The crack of a bat; the twink of a pubic hair being plucked...

I have those tweezers.. they are quality.

Leroy Lizard
8/1/2010, 03:18 PM
I have those tweezers.. they are quality.

There's a high school in Oklahoma that has endorsed them.

"Before we chose Maybelline brand tweezers, we were a slothful, unmotivated, rag-tag group of misfits. After we plucked out our pubic hairs using Maybelline brand tweezers, we went on to win the state title. Thanks Maybelline!!"

Boomer.....
9/28/2010, 02:51 PM
Payback time: Dez Bryant's $54,896 dinner

It's been a great week for Dallas receiver Roy Williams.

He had his best statistical day as a member of the Cowboys on Sunday, then he got revenge on rookie wideout Dez Bryant for that whole pads-carrying training camp incident.

At the time, Williams said it was no big deal Bryant just had to take the team out to dinner. Bryant ultimately offered to bring the offense to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse on Monday night, according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com.

Williams decided to invite the defense as well. With all the extra mouths to feed and some take home bottles of wine, the bill came to $54,896.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/payback-time-dez-bryants-54896-dinner/

9/28/2010, 02:55 PM
With both an aggy and a cow at wideout for the Cowboys, they are no longer a Preferred Pro Team.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 02:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/payback-time-dez-bryants-54896-dinner/

It must be like coaching a bunch of adolescents.

soonerborn30
9/28/2010, 03:50 PM
Well, that was a nice little $8300 tip for the waitstaff.

agoo758
9/28/2010, 03:54 PM
It must be like coaching a bunch of adolescents.

This.

Roy Williams needs a good wippin.

Piware
9/28/2010, 08:42 PM
Good grief! Did that big cry baby see what they did to St. Tebow? Sammy took his initiation like a man, carried some pads and did some singing too.

I have no love for TFRW but I predict Dez Bryant is going to be a problem for the Chowboys. I don't care how athletically talented he is, he was a lying prima donna in college and he will be one in the NFL until someone runs him off.

Two jacka$$es trying to out macho each other. Lame!

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 09:00 PM
Good grief! Did that big cry baby see what they did to St. Tebow? Sammy took his initiation like a man, carried some pads and did some singing too.

I'd cry too over $50,000.

Dallas
9/28/2010, 09:44 PM
Just Cowboys hater-aid in this thread. :pop:

Im glad Dez is w/ the Cowboys. It's obvious half of you don't even follow the NFL. Your all stuck on rewind when Dez was w/ OKIESTATE and RW w/ Texas.

Half our Cowboys board is Longhorn fans but they at least know talent and nearly all of them love Sam Bradford and how he is representing the Big12.

Dez has flat out balled during OTA's/Training Camp and now is shining in the NFL.

I got mad respect for Dez. When he was drafted by the Cowboys and the emotion he showed being chosen by the team that he loved his whole life said a lot and I have no doubt he is going to play lights out for the Cowboys.

How can you not wish good things for him?

College is over and behind RW and Dez, let it go. :texan:

Embrace the Hate :D

Boomer

stoopified
9/28/2010, 10:22 PM
Well, that was a nice little $8300 tip for the waitstaff.What? Only 15% at a upscale steakhouse?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 11:23 PM
What? Only 15% at a upscale steakhouse?

My dad would have left about $2.50. (I would have sneaked a five-spot onto the table to make it all good.)

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 11:27 PM
I'd cry too over $50,000.

not if you made 6 mil a year...

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2010, 11:49 PM
not if you made 6 mil a year...

Oh yes I would. $50,000 is $50,000. I don't buy into the ghetto mentality that money is to be thrown away needlessly.

BTW, his contract is for five years, $11 million.

In response to Bryant's refusal, Williams told the rookie he would instead have to take the team out to dinner.

I lost all respect for Dez. I would have told TFRW where to stuff it.

9/29/2010, 12:43 AM
Just Cowboys hater-aid in this thread. :pop:

Im glad Dez is w/ the Cowboys. It's obvious half of you don't even follow the NFL. Your all stuck on rewind when Dez was w/ OKIESTATE and RW w/ Texas.

For many, prolly most on this board, myself included, except those who bet football games, the Pros are about the Sooners. All football after high school is about the Sooners. The Cowboys have an orange aggy and a cow that are wide-outs. That is not a good thing for them.

If they had a domer or usuc QB, that would be a third strike.

colleyvillesooner
9/29/2010, 06:36 AM
Nm

texaspokieokie
9/29/2010, 07:13 AM
we ate @ pappas bros a short time ago & the tab was only about $250 for 4 of us.

bluedogok
9/29/2010, 08:36 PM
The funny thing about that is TFRW is notoriously known for being a cheapskate. There was a story about him not tipping the pizza delivery guy when he was in Detroit.

Scott D
9/29/2010, 09:14 PM

Boomer

Based on his behavior on the field in his entire NFL career, and his ability to disappear in games against any team not from the state of Texas, RW hasn't put college behind him. :)

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2010, 09:25 PM
Based on his behavior on the field in his entire NFL career, and his ability to disappear in games against any team not from the state of Texas, RW hasn't put college behind him. :)

And the fact that's still an ***-hole