PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming/Climate Change/ WTF Ever...

Sooner_Havok
7/23/2010, 08:32 PM
Saw Inhofe's remarks today, and it got me a thinking... Why is record snowfall taken as a sign that there is no global warming, while record heat is just considered no big deal?

I cannot tell you the number or times I heard "Stupid Global Warming" during the blizzard last year. But I can tell you how many times I have heard "Stupid Global Warming" this summer. Zero.

And I wonder why that is? Is doing an interview with a giant thermometer behind you not as attention grabbing as building an igloo on the capitol? Are the "Climate change is bull sh*t" crowd better at getting their message out, or can they just scream louder and longer? :confused: :confused: :confused:

TheHumanAlphabet
7/23/2010, 09:00 PM
Uh, perhaps that it is not true or has not been conclusion proven. Too many confounding variables and lack of data is why...

olevetonahill
7/23/2010, 09:01 PM
Ill say it again. The Old Earth is a warming right up. No question .
Now Is it cause you , I and the Cows Fart ?. Or is it just a Normal Earth cycle?

I choose to believe its just a Normal earth deal. Yea we may be speeding it along some , buts its gonna happen no matter what we do .:pop:

Sooner_Havok
7/23/2010, 09:04 PM
Uh, perhaps that it is not true or has not been conclusion proven. Too many confounding variables and lack of data is why...

Ok, so you are agreeing with the viewpoint "Not enough data to say it is or isn't true." Great, now...

Why isn't the other side of that argument as quick to point to record heat as your side is to point to record snow? Are the f***ing stupid or something?

Sooner_Havok
7/23/2010, 09:07 PM
Ill say it again. The Old Earth is a warming right up. No question .
Now Is it cause you , I and the Cows Fart ?. Or is it just a Normal Earth cycle?

I choose to believe its just a Normal earth deal. Yea we may be speeding it along some , buts its gonna happen no matter what we do .:pop:

Hey Vet, long time no see man...

Na, I could give two sh*ts about whether it is real or if we are causing it. I just want to know why the "Climate Change is gonna f***ing kill us" crowd doesn't latch onto record heat the same way the "Move along folks, nothing to see here" crowd latches onto record snow.

picasso
7/23/2010, 09:20 PM
Did you miss emailgate and the great climatologist jizzbomb embellishmentfest?

Sooner_Havok
7/23/2010, 09:31 PM

Nooooo, and my opinion of that will remain just that, mine.

Are you saying the "Climate Change is a f***ing hungry velociraptor looking to eat all our faces people" group do not want to waste what little credibility they have left of holding thermometers in the summer? That the "It is getting mother f***ing cold up in this b***h" folks have enough good will now to pull of these stunts while the other guys can't?

Soooooooooooooooo, why don't we see people who agree with the climate change crap standing outside the capitol with giant thermometers? Inhofe built an igloo during a freak snow storm, why not fry an egg during a freak heatwave?

Ike
7/23/2010, 10:26 PM

Are you saying the "Climate Change is a f***ing hungry velociraptor looking to eat all our faces people" group do not want to waste what little credibility they have left of holding thermometers in the summer? That the "It is getting mother f***ing cold up in this b***h" folks have enough good will now to pull of these stunts while the other guys can't?

Soooooooooooooooo, why don't we see people who agree with the climate change crap standing outside the capitol with giant thermometers? Inhofe built an igloo during a freak snow storm, why not fry an egg during a freak heatwave?

Maybe because the people who agree with the climate change crap understand that local phenomena really have nothing to say about a global phenomenon, and perhaps have at least a rudimentary understanding of statistics?

Maybe.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2010, 10:33 PM

Did you miss where all the scientists involved were cleared of wrongdoing by the investigation?

http://www.cce-review.org/pdf/FINAL%20REPORT.pdf

Pages 11 and 12, in particular.

Oh, right. It was a whitewash.

picasso
7/23/2010, 10:33 PM

What the hell? You live near a cat whizz box or something?

picasso
7/23/2010, 10:43 PM
Did you miss where all the scientists involved were cleared of wrongdoing by the investigation?

http://www.cce-review.org/pdf/FINAL%20REPORT.pdf

Pages 11 and 12, in particular.

Oh, right. It was a whitewash.

I'm convinced. Good job.

olevetonahill
7/23/2010, 11:12 PM
Hey Vet, long time no see man...

Na, I could give two sh*ts about whether it is real or if we are causing it. I just want to know why the "Climate Change is gonna f***ing kill us" crowd doesn't latch onto record heat the same way the "Move along folks, nothing to see here" crowd latches onto record snow.

Cause they STUPID and Like Lady Gaga ?:D

picasso
7/23/2010, 11:28 PM
And Froze, I said that halfway tongue in cheek.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2010, 11:38 PM
Was it the "I'm good" half?

ndpruitt03
7/23/2010, 11:55 PM
The late George Carlin pretty much sums up my views on global warming.

NSFW
EjmtSkl53h4

No but seriously those that believe in global warming need to worry about much more important things. The earth has been around for roughly 4 billion years. We've only been trying to mess with it for about 2-300 years. I'm pretty sure this planet will be a lot more resilient than we are.

All the global warming alarmists want is to think they are doing better for the environment they don't really give a rats *** about the environment.

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 12:14 AM
No but seriously those that believe in global warming need to worry about much more important things.

What do the believers have to worry about that the non-believers don't? I mean, if the believers are right, and the non-believers win, the planet is boned.

But, if the non-believers are right, and the believers win, the economy is boned.

SteelCitySooner
7/24/2010, 12:22 AM
The only thing I would like to see a concurrence on is that the 'debate isn't over'...

ndpruitt03
7/24/2010, 12:23 AM
What do the believers have to worry about that the non-believers don't? I mean, if the believers are right, and the non-believers win, the planet is boned.

But, if the non-believers are right, and the believers win, the economy is boned.

True, this whole global warming things is about redistribution of wealth though. Which is a bad idea, and completely against what our country is all about. You can't try and make a country better by bringing the top richest people down to the level of the poorest. It's just going to make the entire country poorer like most of the rest of the world.

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 12:37 AM
True, this whole global warming things is about redistribution of wealth though. Which is a bad idea, and completely against what our country is all about. You can't try and make a country better by bringing the top richest people down to the level of the poorest. It's just going to make the entire country poorer like most of the rest of the world.

K, but if that is what it is really about, and what the believers either conscientiously or subconsciously want, why not drag out the eggs frying on the side walks, and the thermometers busting during the summer.

It just seems to me, that that side screaming, "Nothing to see here folks, move along" pull out all the stops and gimmicks, where as for some unknown reason (Ike is the only one who as really answered my question) the folks who say that "climate change will end human civilization as we know it" just stand there and say "read a science journal". Why no gimmicks from the believers?

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 12:41 AM
The only thing I would like to see a concurrence on is that the 'debate isn't over'...

So, do you feel that way because of political gimmicks during the winter, or the "discrediting" of believing scientists? Would a similar gimmick during the current heat wave, along with the release of emails you were told showed non-believing experts fudged their data sway your opinion?

ndpruitt03
7/24/2010, 12:43 AM
Those that either don't believe in global warming or think there's more important things aren't going to try and make everyone panache like those that think the world will end tomorrow. I'll have to find this video but there's one far left guy on Stossel that believes man is causing global warming but also thinks that it's not even feasible trying to throw money at the problem. And he has about 20 something problems we can fix before we can even try anything about fixing global warming. I'll try and find that video no youtube.

ndpruitt03
7/24/2010, 12:47 AM
EV7BCKzL2dY

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 12:50 AM
Those that either don't believe in global warming or think there's more important things aren't going to try and make everyone panache like those that think the world will end tomorrow. I'll have to find this video but there's one far left guy on Stossel that believes man is causing global warming but also thinks that it's not even feasible trying to throw money at the problem. And he has about 20 something problems we can fix before we can even try anything about fixing global warming. I'll try and find that video no youtube.

Why? So are the non-believers the ones trying to induce a panic? Is that why they use gimmicks and the other side doesn't? "If we try to fix this 'problem', our economy will die, and America will become a third world country!" I mean, that was the whole point of this thread. Why to non-believers use gimmicks and stunts, while believers don't?

Seems like the believers could make a good argument right now and score some of those tasty political points everyone want these days by tossing a few eggs on the capitol steps, and asking non-believing senators to explain why it is so damn hot.

ndpruitt03
7/24/2010, 12:52 AM
You want to know the real answer. The 60s hippies that thought people suck are the leaders right now. That's the real answer.

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 12:57 AM
You want to know the real answer. The 60s hippies that thought people suck are the leaders right now. That's the real answer.

So, no gimmicks cause they think people are to stupid to understand them? That doesn't seem to make sense. I think people are incredibly stupid, and as such I believe cheap gimmicks would work wonders on people, even if the overwhelming weight of evidence is against you, you find a good gimmick and people are willing to overlook all the facts.

Anyone remember "If the glove does not fit..."

or the more famous:

"Chewbacca was a Wookie..."

ndpruitt03
7/24/2010, 01:03 AM
If you see a politician say there's more important things to worry about Global Warming then you see that politician get attacked as being against the earth. It's the same reason why when anyone tries to bring up race on the right and they are racist. Bring up race on the left and you are trying to unite. The right isn't near as good at being vile as the left is at this time.

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2010, 01:15 AM
So the believers don't use gimmicks to convince people, they just make fun of people who don't believe.

Well, that doesn't seem to be a good way to change many people's minds. What with making the people your making fun of "victims" of the drive by media and turning them into global-warming-is-a-fraud martyrs. That strategy seems like it would drive more people away. America loves an underdog.

"Why are those stupid scientists picking on that poor senator? He just said climate change is a giant hoax meant to institute communism in America. I bet he is right, it wasn't very hot this winter, why Joe across the street paid the neighborhood kids $10 to shovel 8 inches of 'global warming' out of his driveway last Christmas."

The Remnant
7/24/2010, 02:04 AM
It was nice out here in California, today. In fact the summer thus far has been mild. Lots of tortilla chips and guacamole and cerveza, as well.

Fraggle145
7/24/2010, 02:27 PM
Maybe because the people who agree with the climate change crap understand that local phenomena really have nothing to say about a global phenomenon, and perhaps have at least a rudimentary understanding of statistics?

Maybe.

This.

49r
7/24/2010, 03:45 PM
^^^ That

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2010, 04:39 PM
^^^ That

These.

Ike
7/24/2010, 04:44 PM
Those.

No, not those over there. Those over here.