PDA

View Full Version : Texas State beats the Longhorns in 7 on 7!!!

adoniijahsooner
7/23/2010, 01:04 PM
Gilbert threw the deciding pick.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1483665785/College-Football-Bobcats-lock-in-during-7-on-7-with-UT

By Tyler Mayforth
Daily Record Sports

Austin — Texas State quarterback Tim Hawkins acted like an old-school telephone operator Wednesday afternoon.

Between Hawkins’ own teammates calling him wondering if their rescheduled 7-on-7 workout was still on with the 2009 BCS National Championship Game runner-up Texas Longhorns and their opponents asking the same question, the redshirt sophomore fielded close to 30 calls in the span of an hour.

“It was insane,” Hawkins said. “Until 3:30 this afternoon, we had no idea what was going on, but all it took was one call to get things rolling and soon enough, it was on.”

Three hours later, Hawkins and about 30 teammates piled into their cars and traveled 32 miles north to take on Texas.

From the beginning of the workout, it looked as if Texas State was overmatched by the quicker and stronger Longhorns.

The Bobcats’ first offensive drive went three-and-out with Hawkins at the helm. Texas took over and drove down the field with Garrett Gilbert under center and scored in the span of seven plays.

“It was kind of a wake-up call for us,” Texas State senior defensive back Drenard Williams said. “We didn’t know exactly how hard they were going to go, but after that we got a good idea.”

After the first drive by the Longhorns, something seemed to snap into place in the Bobcats’ minds.

“Before we left San Marcos, I saw a fire in my teammates’ eyes,” Hawkins said. “We didn’t just want to come up here to say we played with Texas. We wanted to compete with them.”

So behind Hawkins — and Bryan Hill — at quarterback and Williams putting a clamp on the Longhorns’ passing lanes, Texas State matched Texas score for score and stop for stop.

While Hawkins rushed some of his reads, he made several throws which had to be on target or were sure interceptions. One of those passes was a missile to Daren Dillard in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown.

Hill displayed the poise he did in spring practice and delivered crisp passes. He shook off an early interception to toss a pair of touchdown passes, including a well-run hitch-and-go to Cedric Alexander.

“We saw them cheating a lot at the line, so as soon as we got back out there, we wanted to make them pay,” Alexander said. “I had my man beat and Bryan just had to get me the ball.”

Alexander’s score, tripled with three other touchdowns by the Bobcats (Dillard, Alvaro Garcia and Steve Alvarez) gave them an unofficial 4-3 lead. In order to clinch the “victory” against the Longhorns, the defense needed to stop Texas’ final drive.

Cue a Hollywood ending — at least for one night.

Williams, who didn’t play a down in 2009 after recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, soared into the air to pick off a pass intended for Texas wide receiver John Chiles. Upon landing with the ball, Williams spiked it to the ground and let out a scream.

It was a bittersweet moment for Williams, who saw his football career nearly come to an end last summer.

“This has been a tough year for me both mentally and physically,” Williams said. “After surgery, I had to take some time to think about what direction I was headed with football and life, but after I made the decision to come back out here, I’ve been stronger than ever.

“I finally feel like I’m getting back into the groove and I saw a swagger with the team tonight. It couldn’t have come at a better time.”

Bobcat Notes — Texas State kicker Justin Garelick is back to full strength and took in the workout alongside his family ... The Bobcats’ first fall practice is 16 days away ... Texas State opens the 2010 season in 43 days.

NormanPride
7/23/2010, 01:38 PM
I am amused.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/23/2010, 01:43 PM
:pop:

Collier11
7/23/2010, 01:54 PM
meh

sooner518
7/23/2010, 02:01 PM
not that it really matters at all, but still kinda funny.

Mississippi Sooner
7/23/2010, 02:07 PM
Did Kathy Ireland kick the winning field goal?

oudavid1
7/23/2010, 04:23 PM
thats whats up

Curly Bill
7/23/2010, 04:56 PM
7 on 7 is about like playing flag football - it's kinda football, but not really. I wouldn't take anything at all from this.

...but yeah: texas sucks!

Leroyt
7/23/2010, 09:06 PM
Man, celebrating a practice win is almost even below aggy. I bet they print t-shirts if they manage to emerge victorious from their own spring game.

oudavid1
7/24/2010, 12:04 AM
Either way you look at it, its always good when Texas loses.

adoniijahsooner
11/16/2010, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to revisit where Texas downfall started....in a loss to lowly Texas State:). I guess the idea that it didn't mean anything was completely wrong.

ATX Sooner
11/16/2010, 03:16 PM
Texas would have won if they had flown a banner during the game.

Breadburner
11/16/2010, 03:30 PM
The Rapid Clapper was out of sync.....

NormanPride
11/16/2010, 04:12 PM
I am amused.

I am still amused.

jumperstop
11/16/2010, 04:34 PM
Looking back on it, all signs did point to them sucking...

oudavid1
11/16/2010, 06:30 PM
lol bump

stoopified
11/16/2010, 08:52 PM
That is so sad its funny.

Widescreen
11/16/2010, 09:09 PM
Heh. I forgot about this.

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 11:30 AM
Here's Texas State's record

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

It really was a harbinger of things to come.

dwarthog
12/7/2010, 11:43 AM
Gilbert threw the pick so he would remember what it was like when one of his passes was caught, since none of his receivers could catch one.