PDA

View Full Version : Tennis

royalfan5
7/23/2010, 08:43 AM
So I've taken up tennis as a hobby. I should have done it sooner, as I enjoy the hell out of it, and have some natural aptitude for it, unlike golf. Anybody else here play on a regular basis?

OhU1
7/23/2010, 09:52 AM
Tennis is a great sport. I love it. You get plenty of exercise and it's a lot of fun. Nothing against golf which is also a great game but golf is more of a time and cost commitment and you don't get much exercise doing it.

During my vacation around the week of the 4th I got to play every day. Tennis can be a bit rough playing in the heat of the day though.

Too bad there does not seem to be many outlets for casual tennis players to play as there is for sports like softball and bowling.

swardboy
7/23/2010, 10:15 AM
I played from high school through the heyday of Connors, Bjorg, Nastase, etc. There were tennis courts being built everywhere then....now they're overgrown or gone. I wish I had a playing partner now. Can't imagine a better overall exercise for fun: Endurance, quickness, range of motion...it's got it all.

Veritas
7/23/2010, 10:26 AM
My best memory of tennis is the summer during college when I took lessons and ended up ****ing the *** off the instructor.

She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean.

Good times.

lexsooner
7/23/2010, 10:32 AM
In addition to playing for fun, I play USTA league tennis at an intermediate level. In past summers I have played singles in a local park league. I recommend it not only for exercise, but I have made many friends just through tennis. USTA league tennis is what you decide to make of it. Some players are intent on winning and playing on winning teams and going to the district playoffs. Others like myself just want to have fun and be on a team with people I like, although winning is also nice. The men are generally cordial in USTA tennis, although the women can really be nasty to each other. Most of the horror stories from USTA play comes from the women. Anyway, USTA is how I learned to play doubles. Now that I look back, I previously did not have a clue where I should be on the court in doubles. Now I like doubles as much or more than singles.

OhU1
7/23/2010, 01:02 PM
Now I like doubles as much or more than singles.

All the 20 or so matches I've played over the last two years have been doubles. I team up with my brother in law against my sister and her high school tennis playing son (who is much better than everyone else).

In doubles there is less running, you can play longer, and if the teams are competitive it's a blast. I've discovered net play is my strength. I suck at net play in singles but when I'm positioned there in doubles I'm a ball hawk.

lexsooner
7/23/2010, 02:44 PM
All the 20 or so matches I've played over the last two years have been doubles. I team up with my brother in law against my sister and her high school tennis playing son (who is much better than everyone else).

In doubles there is less running, you can play longer, and if the teams are competitive it's a blast. I've discovered net play is my strength. I suck at net play in singles but when I'm positioned there in doubles I'm a ball hawk.

Agreed. Doubles between two very close pairs is a blast. Doubles basically comes down to which side controls the angles. With the full court in play, you can angle a shot and pull one opponent wide, and if you come to the next behind the shot, you and your partner have the opponent hemmed in, and their options are limited. Typically, the team which can get to the net as a pair control the angles, and have the better chance to win the point - a high return shot from the opponents should be a put away; lobbing successfully over two net players is not that easy. So, the higher level of player you encounter, the more likely you are to see them rush the net in doubles whenever possible.

Collier11
7/23/2010, 02:50 PM
I played all the time in HS just as a hobby, it is fun and a great workout. I could do pretty much everything decently except serve, I sucked at it

I would like to start playing again sometime

Curly Bill
7/23/2010, 05:20 PM
I used to play a lot - loved it, and yeah if ya play it right and get after it, it's a great workout.

royalfan5
7/23/2010, 06:42 PM
I played against a good 3.5 this evening. I had some decent moments, although I spent a lot of time moonballing and hoping for the best. I also found that working in air conditioning all day doesn't prepare me very well for the summer weather.

lexsooner
7/23/2010, 09:33 PM
If you have not already, you should look at playing USTA league tennis. You will make more tennis connections than you can handle, and it's lots of fun. In USTA you will get to play doubles in addition to singles, which will make you a more complete tennis player.

royalfan5
7/24/2010, 06:34 AM
If you have not already, you should look at playing USTA league tennis. You will make more tennis connections than you can handle, and it's lots of fun. In USTA you will get to play doubles in addition to singles, which will make you a more complete tennis player.

I plan on doing that this fall/winter.

Breadburner
7/24/2010, 07:14 AM
"You cannot be serious".........

lexsooner
7/24/2010, 03:46 PM
Most of the arguing, tantrums and fits are done by female players in USTA league tennis. The guys can get really mad, but mostly at themselves. The bickering and fighting happens much more in female league matches. I suppose it's just how the sexes are wired. And worse yet for the women, it continues off the court, within and between teams, sort of like high school all over again - cliques, you're in our crowd, no, you're out because you missed practice, etc. etc. I'm not sure how the more level-headed women who play USTA can stand it.

lexsooner
7/24/2010, 03:56 PM
I plan on doing that this fall/winter.

Good for you! I hope you have fun. USTA has combo leagues in the late summer/fall, which is different rating levels of same sex players combined. The big season is the winter men's and women's league. Last year USTA decided to combat sandbagging and bring more parity to league tennis across the country, so they moved up a huge number of players to a higher rating level, especially to 3.5. That level is now really crowded. If you can come in as a 3.0, you probably have a good chance of getting interest from 6.5 combo teams who need 3.0s for doubles. BTW, the only season in which singles is played in USTA league tennis is the winter league (there is a separate flex singles league which is not team tennis). Anyway, USTA now really frowns on players, especially men, who self-rate themselves 2.0 or 2.5 starting out. I suspect when you self-rate, 3.0 is the lowest they will allow, since you already play, and that would seem to be reasonable based on your posts above.

royalfan5
7/24/2010, 05:15 PM
Good for you! I hope you have fun. USTA has combo leagues in the late summer/fall, which is different rating levels of same sex players combined. The big season is the winter men's and women's league. Last year USTA decided to combat sandbagging and bring more parity to league tennis across the country, so they moved up a huge number of players to a higher rating level, especially to 3.5. That level is now really crowded. If you can come in as a 3.0, you probably have a good chance of getting interest from 6.5 combo teams who need 3.0s for doubles. BTW, the only season in which singles is played in USTA league tennis is the winter league (there is a separate flex singles league which is not team tennis). Anyway, USTA now really frowns on players, especially men, who self-rate themselves 2.0 or 2.5 starting out. I suspect when you self-rate, 3.0 is the lowest they will allow, since you already play, and that would seem to be reasonable based on your posts above.
According to my pro I'm getting pretty close to being a 3. Now that I have more people to hit with and what not, I think I should be there pretty soon. I think the biggest thing I need to do is get in much better shape to hold my consistency in the heat right now.