PDA

View Full Version : Will someone please explain to this old coot...

Okla-homey
7/22/2010, 10:47 AM
the allure of Lady Gaga?

One of my esposita's colleagues accompanied her two daughters (one's in HS, the other in college) to see the wench in OKC.

They left when she crotched a crucifix and sprayed blood on herself.

Is this woman merely a kluge of Madonna and Marilyn Manson? And if so, WTF is the dealio?

OUMallen
7/22/2010, 10:54 AM
For a lot of people, Gaga is the following:

1. Unapologetic for being herself, whatever she wants to be on any day.
2. Tolerant of all others doing the same.
3. Fashionable
4. Talented (not REAL talented, but a little)

The allure of someone completely crafting herselff however she wants without constraint, and inviting others to be tolerant and accepting, seems to speak to the youngin's. The fashionableness and just being popular is secondary, I think.

yermom
7/22/2010, 10:57 AM
the allure of Lady Gaga?

One of my esposita's colleagues accompanied her two daughters (one's in HS, the other in college) to see the wench in OKC.

Is this woman merely a kluge of Madonna and Marilyn Manson? And if so, WTF is the dealio?

i've been of the opinion that she's the new Madonna for a while now

Madonna was pretty edgy at times as well... you have to take it to another level to be shocking now :D

she's quickly come up the ladder on the gay hero scale with Cher and Madonna it seems

teh gays LOVE her

as much as i hate to admit it, some of her stuff is pretty catchy :O

Serge Ibaka
7/22/2010, 11:36 AM
I've heard only the best things about her performance at the Ford Center. I'm further encouraged by the use of phallic-crucifixes.

I don't typically like very much mainstream music, but Gaga has some catchy stuff imo; I like her singles--they've a beat, and you can dance to it. Also, a little research suggests that she has some actual musical talent and training (and not the Mickey-Mouse-Club-Sorts-of-Training that Spears, Aguilara, and Timberlake [who is tremendously talented, granted] received).

OUMallen
7/22/2010, 11:37 AM
Madonna's music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaga's.

sooneron
7/22/2010, 11:38 AM
just not interested.

Dio
7/22/2010, 11:48 AM
Madonna-lite

tommieharris91
7/22/2010, 11:52 AM
This thread makes Henreyetta, OK proud.

soonerboomer93
7/22/2010, 12:38 PM
the allure of Lady Gaga?

didn't you just post a thread, with all caps in the title, about where she stopped to eat?

yermom
7/22/2010, 02:01 PM
that might have been sarcasm ;)

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 02:03 PM
She's got more talent than most of the manufactured pop stars out there right now. I personally don't like her music, but she knows what sells. Right now you either have to be squeaky clean and sell yourself to the Disney crowd (like that Bieber kid that - as far as I can tell - has no actual talent) or you have to shock people to get attention.

btk108
7/22/2010, 02:04 PM
Lady Who?

47straight
7/22/2010, 02:06 PM
I've heard only the best things about her performance at the Ford Center. I'm further encouraged by the use of phallic-crucifixes.

Of course you are. You've already established your bigotry against Christians and all others who read old books, haven't you, bigot?

Serge Ibaka
7/22/2010, 02:21 PM
Of course you are. You've already established your bigotry against Christians and all others who read old books, haven't you, bigot?

It has nothing to do with that. I just like it when Lady Gaga sticks crucifixes near her crotch.

It's like a penis except not!

C&CDean
7/22/2010, 02:24 PM
I must admit I have never seen/heard this Gaga, and probably never will. If it weren't for the SO, I never would have heard of it.

tommieharris91
7/22/2010, 02:26 PM
I must admit I have never seen/heard this Gaga, and probably never will. If it weren't for the SO, I never would have heard of it.

You're not missing anything.

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2010, 06:35 PM
the allure of Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga is a musician/performance artist. The chick definitely has musical talents. She sings and actually plays her instruments/piano pretty damn well. As with most performance artists, the subject matter is subjective and can be quite shocking when not seen or understood in context.

Her "blood scene" in concert that I've seen on tv, was her being photographed repeatedly with blood being thrown on her toward the end before crashing on stage. Turns out it was an homage to Princess Diana and her own song "Papparazzi."

If you want to know her appeal, ask yourself why you liked Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Elton John, or any other innovator that came before them. IMO.

picasso
7/22/2010, 06:48 PM
She's a chick? A chick with some "stuff."

Good for her on her career.

NormanPride
7/22/2010, 07:19 PM
She's got catchy music, but she's crazy with a capital WTF. I read her bio on wikipedia (for what that's worth) and she sounds like an absolute lunatic.

But yeah, innovation always looks weird in the music scene. I just don't know what's innovative about her... she's pop dance to a T...

stoopified
7/22/2010, 07:35 PM
the allure of Lady Gaga?

Is this woman merely a kluge of Madonna and Marilyn Manson? And if so, WTF is the dealio?Ditto brother

Scott D
7/22/2010, 08:38 PM
actually I think the description of Alice Cooper meets Madonna meets New York Dolls is sufficient.

sooneron
7/22/2010, 08:50 PM
But yeah, innovation always looks weird in the music scene. I just don't know what's innovative about her... she's pop dance to a T...

This ^

sooneron
7/22/2010, 08:58 PM
And MIA is cooler. Thus, I'm shooting her this weekend.

A Sooner in Texas
7/22/2010, 09:00 PM
So far, I haven't heard anything innovative in her music, catchy as it can be. I actually do enjoy her videos because they are so out there. And yes, she is talented; she sang one of her hits acoustically on SNL last year and the girl has some chops, vocally and on the piano.
She is very unapologetic about what she stands up for...gay rights, AIDS funding, etc. She also stands up for her fans, and seems truly appreciative of their support.
That said, Gaga will, IMHO, need to start coming up with just plain good music to stay popular. It will be interesting to see if she can.

Leroy Lizard
7/22/2010, 09:20 PM
She is very unapologetic about what she stands up for...gay rights, AIDS funding, etc.

Wow, she's really going out on a limb in the music scene. :rolleyes:

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2010, 09:25 PM
The only reason she's so popular is because people are still getting into heavy debates on whether or not she is a transgender. For the record, she is.

Jacie
7/23/2010, 06:37 AM
Lady GaGa is one of those musical artists that make my job easy.

Wedding receptions are my bread and butter. When I need a song guaranteed to get the ladies on the dance floor, Poker Face or Just Dance will do the trick. Neither I nor the people I play for care about her sex, race, religious convictions, opinions on issues of the day or anything else when all they want is a good tune they can dance to.

I hope Lady GaGa continues to have musical success because that makes my job easier.

yermom
7/23/2010, 06:48 AM
i had Just Dance in my head for a while and had no idea who it was. i'm not even sure where i heard it

Shakadoodoo
7/23/2010, 06:58 AM
I am glad my kids do not listen to her! She is crazy.

JohnnyMack
7/23/2010, 09:37 AM
She's today's Marilyn Manson. She's found a way to turn marginal musical talent into a solid career.

God bless America?

NormanPride
7/23/2010, 10:30 AM
And MIA is cooler. Thus, I'm shooting her this weekend.

MIA is cooler. But some of her music is painful to listen to.

TUSooner
7/23/2010, 12:19 PM
I don't quite get her either, but she reminds me of these gems from H.L.Mencken:

No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
and

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

pilobolus
7/23/2010, 02:10 PM
She is popular because people are sheep, mostly.

Serge Ibaka
7/23/2010, 02:28 PM

Oh, puhleez. This can be said about anything that is popular.

SouthFortySooner
7/23/2010, 03:09 PM
Lady GaGa is one of those musical artists that make my job easy.

Wedding receptions are my bread and butter. When I need a song guaranteed to get the ladies on the dance floor, Poker Face or Just Dance will do the trick.

Mony Mony will make'em shake the bushes.

TUSooner
7/23/2010, 03:26 PM

Oh, puhleez. This can be said about anything that is popular.

And it probably should be.

Baaaaah !!!

King Crimson
7/23/2010, 03:31 PM
meh, Gaga.

as long as you are working in the pop music form, not sure how far "total critique" (and i'm being very generous here)......goes.

i saw Bowie dressed up like a lobster on SNL sing Praying to the Aliens or TVC15 and it changed my life.

Gaga, is just an acceleration of an existing commodity logic of the "pop song", turned in on itself.

"art" and "pop culture" distinctions are already hoky-poky, anyway.

if it must be spectacle, i'd take Mick Ronson over "the Gaga beats"....pretty much any day.

time takes a cigarette, and puts it in your mouth....

Bourbon St Sooner
7/23/2010, 03:37 PM
Her music's annoying, but if she's up on stage throwing blood on herself that's got to count for something.

yankee
7/23/2010, 03:39 PM
she's an attention-whore freak, who happens to have some singing talent...i think her songs suck, and i change the radio any time one of them comes on. i'm a dude and i don't know much about clothes, but some peope think she's fashionable??? sorry, putting a friggin crab on your head or wearing some god-awful outfit is not fashionable in my book. i guess she'd be easier to handle if she wasn't so GD ugly.

Chuck Bao
7/23/2010, 04:01 PM
All of the great music was written in the 60s and 70s, in my opinion. But we should let kids today feel like they are listening to something new and meaningful. That’s as magnanimous as I can possible be concerning Lady Gaga.

The Remnant
7/24/2010, 01:51 AM
Her agent told her that if she acted like a ho', she could make more money.

Jacie
7/25/2010, 02:46 PM
Mony Mony will make'em shake the bushes.

If the wee ones are about we have to be careful playing that one. Seems some people can't resist adding a certain lyric whilst dancing to this one that most parents don't want their children to hear . . .

As for this:

All of the great music was written in the 60s and 70s, in my opinion. But we should let kids today feel like they are listening to something new and meaningful. That’s as magnanimous as I can possible be concerning Lady Gaga.

Chuck, I remember the 60's and 70's when the music that came out then was brand new. I also remember the old coots at the time, who are now dead because it has been 30 years since the 70's were over, saying (about the music that was written in the 60's and 70's), "All the great music was written in the 40's and 50's . . ."

What this means, Chuck, is that you've crossed the line. Yes, you are now a permanent resident of Cootville.

Okla-homey
7/25/2010, 03:13 PM
If the wee ones are about we have to be careful playing that one. Seems some people can't resist adding a certain lyric whilst dancing to this one that most parents don't want their children to hear . . .

As for this:

Chuck, I remember the 60's and 70's when the music that came out then was brand new. I also remember the old coots at the time, who are now dead because it has been 30 years since the 70's were over, saying (about the music that was written in the 60's and 70's), "All the great music was written in the 40's and 50's . . ."

What this means, Chuck, is that you've crossed the line. Yes, you are now a permanent resident of Cootville.

Cootville ain't so bad. We have nice stuff and its paid-for. And we don't stay-out all night chasing hotties we rarely catch only be useless at work the next day. :D

Chuck Bao
7/25/2010, 03:27 PM

As for this:

If that is the case, then I relish the fact that I am a permanent resident of Cootville. I also remember that time and I remember my parents hated the music that my brother, sister and I listened to. They liked Porter Wagoner and I liked playing a Kiss album in the morning as I was getting ready for school. Resident of Cootville or not, I am not going to stop listening to that ancient rock music I love just yet.

Leroy Lizard
7/25/2010, 05:01 PM
If that is the case, then I relish the fact that I am a permanent resident of Cootville. I also remember that time and I remember my parents hated the music that my brother, sister and I listened to. They liked Porter Wagoner and I liked playing a Kiss album in the morning as I was getting ready for school. Resident of Cootville or not, I am not going to stop listening to that ancient rock music I love just yet.

Porter Wagoner >> Kiss

Kiss has some cool imagery and makes for good theater. You got the blood spitting and the fire. But when you listen to the songs, they're kinda' underwhelming. Take away all the theatrics and you end up with the Osmond Family.

Jacie
7/25/2010, 05:18 PM
Porter Wagoner >> Kiss

Kiss has some cool imagery and makes for good theater. You got the blood spitting and the fire. But when you listen to the songs, they're kinda' underwhelming. Take away all the theatrics and you end up with the Osmond Family.

Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it . . . - Jimmy Buffett

Leroy Lizard
7/25/2010, 06:34 PM
Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it . . . - Jimmy Buffett

That's the only part of Kiss I was complimenting.

delhalew
7/25/2010, 09:09 PM
Sign me up for Cootville. I'm still trying to figure out how ya'll to three pages on this clown.

sooneron
7/25/2010, 09:37 PM
And for the record, MIA's lighting sucked for getting clear shots of her. bleh. I did, however discover a new talented dude from Crooklyn- Theophilus London. Rock'd the house. A lot of the other acts would have scared most of the SO'ers.

sooneron
7/25/2010, 09:45 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs185.snc4/37573_414066973541_763158541_4722896_5869243_n.jpg

Probably the best shot I got of MIA.

yermom
7/25/2010, 10:34 PM
i kinda dig her stuff

my roommate, who is a year older than me and already in Cootville, hates her because she samples The Clash

delhalew
7/25/2010, 11:16 PM
Sampling the Clash is the smartest thing she evr did. Now she has me listening to her half insane noise dance hippity hoppity whatever the fvck...:D now I know I'm not alone...I like what I've heard of her new album.
GaGa on the other hand is a waste of everyones time.

Frozen Sooner
7/25/2010, 11:20 PM
I dig MIA's sorta-cover of "Where Is My Mind?"

King Crimson
7/25/2010, 11:34 PM
i hear the Clash on the satellite radio at the grocery store. you are fair game when you get played by the grocery store. more interesting, of course, would be if it was "Lost in the Supermarket"....but not.

C&CDean
7/26/2010, 02:05 PM
if it must be spectacle, i'd take Mick Ronson over "the Gaga beats"....pretty much any day.

time takes a cigarette, and puts it in your mouth....

"pulls on your finger, then another finger, then the cigarette..."

sooneron
7/27/2010, 11:09 AM
i hear the Clash on the satellite radio at the grocery store. you are fair game when you get played by the grocery store. more interesting, of course, would be if it was "Lost in the Supermarket"....but not.
heh

pilobolus
8/6/2010, 12:16 PM
I blame Roxy Music, David Bowie, and Genesis.

Leroy Lizard
8/6/2010, 12:20 PM
I blame Roxy Music, David Bowie, and Genesis.

No mention of Marc Bolan? Interesting. Very interesting.