PDA

View Full Version : GAME ETIQUETTE?

Soonerntxs
7/22/2010, 09:19 AM
Ok, I have a question that I would like to seek an answer. (Background) I have been going to OU games since I was a kid, in the past few years, I have split season tickets with my best friend. I like to stand and others around me like to sit, I see mostly new faces each game in my section (101), however there are some that are faithful around me. Last year, I had a guy behind me yell, "SIT DOWN!" I turned and he wanted to start by giving me the the Ol' "I paid to watch the game, not your back!" I, more interested in the game, sat down and only stood during kick off and returns. Following this game, I didn't see this guy at another game and I stood almost every down without any word from those around me, in fact, I was not alone in my stance. (Question)Sit or stand, right or wrong, say something or nothing??? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 09:25 AM
Do what you want, you paid for your ticket too. It's a good thing that your excited enough to stand. Everyone can sit during all the TV breaks and halftime. Thats plenty of sitting for me!

stoops the eternal pimp
7/22/2010, 09:26 AM
For me, I just pay attention to whats going on around me...Where we are, there is an older gentleman behind me...Obviously i don't wanna stand so that guy cant see so I reserve it for scores and big plays where I forget and get into it...he's never said anything to me, and I've told him numerous times to let me know if he cant see....

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 09:29 AM
Exactly. You paid for that ticket, you've been coming faithfully and he's a one and done guy. Eff him. If you wanna stand, stand. If he can't get excited enough to never want to stand, that's his problem. I wouldn't even dignify someone like that's idiocy with a response. Just continue standing. What's he gonna do? Go tell security "there's some guy standing up at a football game and won't sit dooooowwwnnn!!!"? Good for you for standing up and getting into the game over there. There's way too many handsitters on that side of the stadium.

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 09:29 AM
The standing thing has never bothered me on a personal level one way or the other. I'm 6'-4", so if people in front me stand, I'll stand and still see the game fine. Makes me no difference.

What bothers me is that there are people in the stands like my wife, who is only about 5'-2". When people in front of us stand, she can't see much even if she stands, too. If not for the video board, she wouldn't get to see much of the game.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 09:30 AM
It has been my experience (44 years of season tix) that the situation and the rest of the fans seem to naturally dictate the times to sit or stand.

There really isn't any reason to stand on a 3rd and 22 with a minute left in the half with a 21 point lead. If its 3rd and 22 with a minute left in the half in a tight game, you won't likely be the only one standing.

Standing just to stand can irritate others.
Sitting in a crucial situation is a choice and should be a quiet one.

There are those on this board that think standing proves you are a fan.

I think a fan can figure out when it is time to stand. Something that happens on every play in most games anyway.

If the situation dictates your standing, do it. Ever since the '08 Tceh game there has been a renewed role for the Crimson-clad in our house.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/22/2010, 09:31 AM
nail on the head LB

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 09:32 AM
It has been my experience (44 years of season tix) that the situation and the rest of the fans seem to naturally dictate the times to sit or stand.

There really isn't any reason to stand on a 3rd and 22 with a minute left in the half with a 21 point lead. If its 3rd and 22 with a minute left in the half in a tight game, you won't likely be the only one standing.

Standing just to stand can irritate others.
Sitting in a crucial situation is a choice and should be a quiet one.

There are those on this board that think standing proves you are a fan.

I think a fan can figure out when it is time to stand. Something that happens on every play in most games anyway.

If the situation dictates your standing, do it. Ever since the '08 Tceh game there has been a renewed role for the Crimson-clad in our house.

^ thats what I meant.

XingTheRubicon
7/22/2010, 10:11 AM
I've never told someone to sit down EXCEPT for an idiot visiting fan. If someone tells you to sit down, tell them to try their recliner at home if they like relaxing at sporting events so much.

Fun story from Miami last year:

F***ing humid. Tarped up stadium, 40 member band, fans that looked like grown-up caricatures of the male cast from saved by the bell. OU is struggling, it's still humid. Plus, the "college atmosphere" sucks...let me put it this way, between the half empty Pro stadium riddled with criminals, 12 year old future criminals giving you the finger, traditionless concert atmosphere...it makes Okie State look like Notre Dame.

So anyway, let's just say I was impatient and p*ssed, and it was humid. It's the 3rd quarter and McLovin is up again. McLovin is this little dweeb Miami fan that's wearing size XS under armour gear, has a towel that has a drawing of a "screw" with OU below the screw. We're on about the 40 yard line, there are about a dozen of us OU fans just behind McLovin and he turns around to show us the "screw OU" towel about once every 9 seconds. McLovin is short. McLovin can't see. McLovin stands ON his chair. McLovin is directly in front of me. McLovin likes to mimic the Ibis mascot. McLovin's death is being plotted. After he stood on his chair for the 80th time, I finally did the "tap to the shoulder."

He turns around with fire in his eyes and almost trips and falls because he's standing on his f*cking chair, and I say "Why don't you go ahead and get down off you chair."

"This is our house!" McLovin said "Just get down so we can see" I said as I pondered throwing him on to the field. He gets down.

7 minutes later, it's 3rd down...McLovin gets back up on the chair, I tell him to get down, even his idiot friends tell him to get down. McLovin doesn't get down, just unfolds his "screw OU" towel and turns around to show us again. That was the last play we would miss. A guys arm came from behind me and grabbed McLovin's XS shirt. He pulled McLovin down and screamed "stay the f*ck off your chair." It was a Miami fan that pulled him down. Everyone was laughing at McLovin. McLovin never stood on his chair again...and after that abysmal last minute close loss field goal, I almost wished he had.

Very humid, hate McLovin, hate Miami.

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 10:23 AM
So Rubicon, you're saying it was humid?

And LB, you put it in a way that I couldn't. When it's time to stand, stand. If someone doesn't like it....screw 'em.

Soonerntxs
7/22/2010, 10:32 AM
^ U SIR are my New HERO, thank you and thank the Miami Fan for the Mclovin snatch. I think I would have lost it about the third time I had that towel shown to me... I try to just be a professional, FUN fan and enjoy every last drop of the game.

KantoSooner
7/22/2010, 10:40 AM
I have family in Flowduh. Family who I love and even like. That said, the entire stinkin' state is filled with everything that is wrong with our nation and the world. And it is concentrated in their football fans. And that is concentrated even more into the people who show up to Miami games (note I do not use the term 'fan' to describe them; they are more akin to the people who show up to pick the pockets of the dead following a major disaster.)
You should have thrown McLovin, Rubicon, over the rail. There are no police in Miami so that should not have been an issue.

Oh, and standing during games? The last one I attended was as a student. We stood the whole game. Except when we crouched to take pulls off the hip flask.

OUMallen
7/22/2010, 10:51 AM
I'm just glad someone posed this question finally.

yukonsooner
7/22/2010, 11:00 AM
I'm fortunate. Our seats are on the back row with the aisle and rail behind us. We stand during most of the game. Last year my granddaughter was standing behind the seat, in front of the rail, and the boy scouts told her she couldn't stand there. So she stood on the seat and that was fine. My pet peeve since we are on the back row is the people standing behind me leaning on the rail. I've had coke spilled on me, tobacco spit on me, you get the idea. The boy scouts don't seem to want to address these people, but I have no problem. I ask them if they have seats & when they tell me they do I tell them to use them.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2010, 11:00 AM
For the love of god, just don't wear a bluetooth earpiece.

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, I have a question that I would like to seek an answer. (Background) I have been going to OU games since I was a kid, in the past few years, I have split season tickets with my best friend. I like to stand and others around me like to sit, I see mostly new faces each game in my section (101), however there are some that are faithful around me. Last year, I had a guy behind me yell, "SIT DOWN!" I turned and he wanted to start by giving me the Ol' "I paid to watch the game, not your back!" I, more interested in the game, sat down and only stood during kick off and returns. Following this game, I didn't see this guy at another game and I stood almost every down without any word from those around me, in fact, I was not alone in my stance. (Question)Sit or stand, right or wrong, say something or nothing??? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I hate having to stand the whole game but what choice do you have if you want to see the game - unless you are in the nosebleed seats. The only way to avoid so many people standing during the game would be to have one of those big screen TV's like the that in the Dallas Cowboy stadium.
It is good that you are a nice person though - I would have told the person talking noise to you - that I paid to see the game as well and I will watch it the way I want to watch it - he could pay for front row seats and that wouldn't be an issue for him!

Jacie
7/22/2010, 11:04 AM
Always a tough call when you are the first one. Much easier when the standing starts with the people on row 1 and it marches like a wave up to whereever you are sitting.

At the RRS it seems we always stood the entire game, on those ridiculously small folding chairs no less, except for timeouts, which are more numerous for those nationally televised games, thank goodness. It only takes one instance of having it fold shut whilst on it to convince a person that isn't such a good idea. But if you don't you will miss most of the action on the field so ya gotta balance on that leading edge . . .

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 11:10 AM
For the love of god, just don't wear a bluetooth earpiece.

Anywhere, anytime. One of my biggest pet peeves of modern technology.

TahoeSOONER
7/22/2010, 11:16 AM
Get up and get loud!

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 11:17 AM
Always a tough call when you are the first one. Much easier when the standing starts with the people on row 1 and it marches like a wave up to whereever you are sitting.

At the RRS it seems we always stood the entire game, on those ridiculously small folding chairs no less, except for timeouts, which are more numerous for those nationally televised games, thank goodness. It only takes one instance of having it fold shut whilst on it to convince a person that isn't such a good idea. But if you don't you will miss most of the action on the field so ya gotta balance on that leading edge . . .

The new bench seats are much easier to stand on, and don't threaten to amputate your ankle with a misstep like those old railroad folders did.

Phil
7/22/2010, 11:21 AM
I sit on the 49-yard-line, east side, halfway up, and our area pretty much stands all game, every game, unless it's the second half of a blowout or something.

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 11:26 AM
Isn't that the student section, Phil?

Edit: Whoops, just kidding. Nevermind

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 11:30 AM
I sit on the 49-yard-line, east side, halfway up, and our area pretty much stands all game, every game, unless it's the second half of a blowout or something.

I sit almost exactly 21 seats to the left of HMFIC, and we stand most of the game as well...however, there are times where my older bunch stays seated. These times are almost always the right times.

rawlingsHOH
7/22/2010, 11:31 AM
For me, I just pay attention to whats going on around me...Where we are, there is an older gentleman behind me...Obviously i don't wanna stand so that guy cant see so I reserve it for scores and big plays where I forget and get into it...he's never said anything to me, and I've told him numerous times to let me know if he cant see....

right, because you're a human being!

SoonerLB
7/22/2010, 12:13 PM
Lott's Bandana and stoops the eternal pimp sum it up pretty well. Everyone should have at least some consideration for those around them, unless of course, they are saXet fans. I don't make it to many games these days, but when I do, age and bad knees make it near impossible for me to stand an entire game, so I just have to hope that those around me are considerate.

pilobolus
7/22/2010, 01:09 PM
As a grad student I have no choice but to stand the entire game, plus get there 3 hours early to snag a decent seat. Then I feel stupid because I end up catching myself watching the video screens instead of the game and I think why not just stay home.

Soonerfan88
7/22/2010, 01:13 PM
This is the biggest reason I will probably never "upgrade" my seats. I currently have the very top row in the NEZ and I can stand on the bench & lean against the wall the entire game if I want with no complaints.

Schoonerbeer
7/22/2010, 01:20 PM
Why stand up, except when they score or on kicks and returns, if everyone stayed sitting, everyone could see fine. If everyone stands up the entire game they need to go to aTm. By the way I am a season ticket holder!

----------------------BOOMER SOONER---------------------------------

TahoeSOONER
7/22/2010, 01:27 PM
Why stand up, except when they score or on kicks and returns, if everyone stayed sitting, everyone could see fine. If everyone stands up the entire game they need to go to aTm. By the way I am a season ticket holder!

----------------------BOOMER SOONER---------------------------------

You stand up because you want to get the energy going on defense in crucial situations, making it hard for them to hear in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage.

By the way, I am not a season ticket holder but I love my Sooners!

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 01:38 PM
When we were runnin the Bone, it was important to stand up before any offensive play because you would likely end up standing and cheering anyway with all those long option-pitch breakaways!

OUwinsagain
7/22/2010, 01:53 PM
I stand up...I need the exercise anyways!

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 01:58 PM
I stand up...I need the exercise anyways!

I hear that. Even when I'm watching a game on tv at home, I'm standing and pacing a little most of the time. That little path I wear out on the living room carpet represents more exercise than I usually get the rest of the week.

badger
7/22/2010, 01:59 PM
A word on gameday etiquette:

Know that you have a right to stand on the ground in front of your seat. People can whine, moan and complain to you all day, but it's your right.

That being said, we are not arrogant whorns. We are not marshmallow-throwing Colorado jackarses. We are not fairweather aggroids or empty seat pokes. We are Sooners and we are nice and courteous to our fellow fans.

Look around you. If you are surrounded by fans in their 70s that couldn't stand the entire game due to health, or sunburned kids that barely can see the game with you sitting, have a heart. If everyone in front of you stands 24/7, there is not much you can do. However, if you can see sitting down, consider sitting for the sake of the people around you. You can cheer enthusiastically and support your team just as well. We are not humping aggies that uncover and need to do a 12th-man stand the entire game.

Know that you do not have the right to stand on top of your seat. Even if everyone in front of you is, this is not permitted in pretty much every stadium that I've ever been to (although student sections hardly ever count, as they are self-regulating). If someone is being a jerk about it, get a security guard or a trooper or someone in charge and they will make the arsehole sit in their seat, or stand in front of it. NOT on the seat, on the ground in front of it. If they seem to be nice opposing fans or Sooners, try to reason with them before seeking authority. They will appreciate it. If they are jerks about it, they deserve to get cut down by a cop. Make sure you all give the cop a standing ovation afterward. Heckle the jerk if you want. It will take any of the jerk's remaining manhood post-cop confrontation away immediately.

Teach children and your guests (whether you're at the game with them or not) proper etiquette listed above. Behave extra-well when children and guests are nearby, as to teach others of our great fanbase's attitude towards good gameday etiquette.

Also, while you didn't mention it, I recommend:

1- Seatbacks to ensure that people around you do not drift into your assigned seating area.

2- Show up early as to avoid any confrontations and walking in front of people during the national anthem or kickoff or something trying to find your seat.

3- Save the trash talking for the opposing jerks. Let the scoreboard and the Sooners on the field do the talking. Don't look like an idiot too.

4- Don't get up during plays, return to your seat in the middle of a play or steal someone else's seat unless you're absolutely sure that they've left. Wait till TV timeouts, regular timeouts, Between quarters, halftimes, etc.

Did I miss anything, guys?

rawlingsHOH
7/22/2010, 02:06 PM
When we were runnin the Bone, it was important to stand up before any offensive play because you would likely end up standing and cheering anyway with all those long option-pitch breakaways!

i remember barely being able to cross midfield against nebraska and clemson. :(

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 02:07 PM
That's a great list, Badger.

There is one thing I'd like to add that I just found out this past season. If you get seats in the row that the walkways open onto (I think it's row 27), understand that while you will appear to have more legroom than people in the regular rows, you will have people walking in front of you for pretty much the entire game.

We made this mistake for the Tulsa game last year. Never again.

badger
7/22/2010, 02:11 PM
That's a great list, Badger.

There is one thing I'd like to add that I just found out this past season. If you get seats in the row that the walkways open onto (I think it's row 27), understand that while you will appear to have more legroom than people in the regular rows, you will have people walking in front of you for pretty much the entire game.

We made this mistake for the Tulsa game last year. Never again.

I've sat in those seats for Red/White and other scrimmages. Worst seats in the house. Avoid!

SouthFortySooner
7/22/2010, 02:15 PM
I'm just glad someone posed this question finally.

The question has actually been proposed here before. I remember my favorite answer to the problem then was, "a throat punch".

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 02:17 PM
i remember barely being able to cross midfield against nebraska and clemson. :(

I get your point...however, there is some sweetness in this:

1:42 (albeit not an option pitch)

cwi3hoYRAPE

KantoSooner
7/22/2010, 02:46 PM
Now THAT was an afro!

he can yell out 'Boomer' any time he wants to in my book.

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 02:56 PM
A word on gameday etiquette:

Know that you have a right to stand on the ground in front of your seat. People can whine, moan and complain to you all day, but it's your right.

That being said, we are not arrogant whorns. We are not marshmallow-throwing Colorado jackarses. We are not fairweather aggroids or empty seat pokes. We are Sooners and we are nice and courteous to our fellow fans.

Look around you. If you are surrounded by fans in their 70s that couldn't stand the entire game due to health, or sunburned kids that barely can see the game with you sitting, have a heart. If everyone in front of you stands 24/7, there is not much you can do. However, if you can see sitting down, consider sitting for the sake of the people around you. You can cheer enthusiastically and support your team just as well. We are not humping aggies that uncover and need to do a 12th-man stand the entire game.

Know that you do not have the right to stand on top of your seat. Even if everyone in front of you is, this is not permitted in pretty much every stadium that I've ever been to (although student sections hardly ever count, as they are self-regulating). If someone is being a jerk about it, get a security guard or a trooper or someone in charge and they will make the arsehole sit in their seat, or stand in front of it. NOT on the seat, on the ground in front of it. If they seem to be nice opposing fans or Sooners, try to reason with them before seeking authority. They will appreciate it. If they are jerks about it, they deserve to get cut down by a cop. Make sure you all give the cop a standing ovation afterward. Heckle the jerk if you want. It will take any of the jerk's remaining manhood post-cop confrontation away immediately.

Teach children and your guests (whether you're at the game with them or not) proper etiquette listed above. Behave extra-well when children and guests are nearby, as to teach others of our great fanbase's attitude towards good gameday etiquette.

Also, while you didn't mention it, I recommend:

1- Seatbacks to ensure that people around you do not drift into your assigned seating area.

2- Show up early as to avoid any confrontations and walking in front of people during the national anthem or kickoff or something trying to find your seat.

3- Save the trash talking for the opposing jerks. Let the scoreboard and the Sooners on the field do the talking. Don't look like an idiot too.

4- Don't get up during plays, return to your seat in the middle of a play or steal someone else's seat unless you're absolutely sure that they've left. Wait till TV timeouts, regular timeouts, Between quarters, halftimes, etc.

Did I miss anything, guys?

You sort of covered talking and stuff, but I just wanted to also mention cursing. I've been going to OU games since I was 10 years old. Back then I really didn't see the harm in it. 21 years and one child of my own later, it makes me cringe every time I hear some know-nothing window licker curse out a ref, opposing player, or worse yet, one of our players. I know it probably goes without saying to most everyone here, but like they say, common sense isn't so common anymore.

Oh, and if you're sitting in a seat for the first time, PLEASE read the damn ticket and make sure you're in the right section before you start getting all snippy with me about being in the wrong seat. It happens every year where I sit. Ugh.

boomersooner82
7/22/2010, 03:08 PM
I love to stand, but sometimes I do it just because it's the most comfortable option. When it's 90+ that first day game of the season, I don't want to try to squeeze into my seat that was set for the size of a 1920s person.

Fun note: some guys on our row collected a bunch of chairbacks after a game one time and lined them up next to each other on our row. The bench fit about three fewer chairbacks than there were seat numbers on our row.

So yeah, sometimes I'll stand during timeouts, and if you're behind me and are angry because you can't see he punt, pass and kick, you probably should evaluate your priorities.

badger
7/22/2010, 03:23 PM
You sort of covered talking and stuff, but I just wanted to also mention cursing. I've been going to OU games since I was 10 years old. Back then I really didn't see the harm in it. 21 years and one child of my own later, it makes me cringe every time I hear some know-nothing window licker curse out a ref, opposing player, or worse yet, one of our players. I know it probably goes without saying to most everyone here, but like they say, common sense isn't so common anymore.

Oh man, I know the feeling. I don't curse at games (unless it's under my breath when I bump my knee/foot/ankle against a bleacher) and don't trash talk players... but I've witnessed many who do both.

I've seen the reaction of some players up close when they hear one of their own fans trashing them. As the post-PAT song at Owen Field goes, "Don't make a grown man cry." :(

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 03:33 PM
Oh man, I know the feeling. I don't curse at games (unless it's under my breath when I bump my knee/foot/ankle against a bleacher) and don't trash talk players... but I've witnessed many who do both.

I've seen the reaction of some players up close when they hear one of their own fans trashing them. As the post-PAT song at Owen Field goes, "Don't make a grown man cry." :(

I don't even like it when we boo the other team when they come onto the field. If it's the whorns, sure. They deserve it. But if it's Iowa State, Baylor etc., I just don't like it. It's like paying them a compliment to boo them.

Dan Thompson
7/22/2010, 03:59 PM
Good thing it wasn't hot.

badger
7/22/2010, 04:04 PM
I don't even like it when we boo the other team when they come onto the field. If it's the whorns, sure. They deserve it. But if it's Iowa State, Baylor etc., I just don't like it. It's like paying them a compliment to boo them.

It is usually half-hearted or sarcastic boos from where I usually stand.

I mean, the announcer says "Gracious hospitality and good sportsmanship..." and the sarcastic boos start, then usually fade by the time the band's halfway through their school's song.

RRS is whole 'nother story, though. Texas boos everything in red, and we boo everything in orange. It's tradition ;)

ouduckhunter
7/22/2010, 04:11 PM
We sat in the end zone last year at the K-State game. It was the only home game that we had been to in years, and we traveled quite a few miles to get to it. During the first quarter I heard somebody say sit down in front, and out of curiousity I turned around to see who had said it. Well, it was a couple of overweight, mid 30's looking women who didn't want to be incovenienced if we stood up on big plays, and they were talking to me!! Of course I had enjoyed a few beers courtesy of my good friends at the SoonerFans tailgate party, so I laughed at them, and said why are you at the game if you're not going to get excited! Why don't you go home and watch it on tv. They got all huffy, but they shut up, and I stood up even more than I otherwise might have just to spite them. I was livid!

In my humble opionion, if you have to start sitting down during big plays, or exciting moments at ball games, what's next, not cheering too loudly, not waving your arms and clapping??? Seroiusly, let's not dumb down the game of football or any other sport like we have so many other good things in America!!! :D

Soonersince57
7/22/2010, 04:43 PM
I get your point...however, there is some sweetness in this:

1:42 (albeit not an option pitch)

cwi3hoYRAPE

Love it at about the 1:10 mark. Looks almost like a duplicate run of Joe Washington in '75.

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 05:00 PM
You can not get mad because people stand up at the games - You go to the game for the atmosphere of being at the game. But if you think you are going to accomplish a "sit down" movement - then you are wasting your time - if you are going to the game. I would rather sit as well - but you can see it coming when it happens - I think a lot of people only stand up because the person in front of them did - and that continues - like a wave - all the way to the top - so when your at the game just enjoy the atmosphere - tailgates, fans, ect.... If you want to see every play without standing up - Watch it at home. We may not like it but it is reality - when people get excited - that usually promotes an action - which is standing up and cheering when you are at a football game. Who would want to go to a game where everyone stayed seated - that sounds like one boring football game.

oudavid1
7/22/2010, 05:32 PM
I have never really had this problem in section 3 but my uncle in the south endzone somewhere once had a man complain behind him so he switched seats with the guy. But stand all you want, what the hell is the guy gonna do. But you should really only stand when everyone else is standing.

badger
7/22/2010, 05:53 PM
I'm not trying to start some "sit down" movement, unless it is directed at the opposing coach during the basketball season at LNC :D

Rather, just use common courtesy and do what you think is right. The only standing I have a problem with is people that stand on their seats outside the student section. I am a short girl and have enough trouble seeing as-is :(

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 05:53 PM
As the post-PAT song at Owen Field goes, "Don't make a grown man cry." :(

I don't recall those lyrics anywhere in OK Oklahoma. Are you sure you're thinking of the right stadium? ;)

We sat in the end zone last year at the K-State game. It was the only home game that we had been to in years, and we traveled quite a few miles to get to it. During the first quarter I heard somebody say sit down in front, and out of curiousity I turned around to see who had said it. Well, it was a couple of overweight, mid 30's looking women who didn't want to be incovenienced if we stood up on big plays, and they were talking to me!! Of course I had enjoyed a few beers courtesy of my good friends at the SoonerFans tailgate party, so I laughed at them, and said why are you at the game if you're not going to get excited! Why don't you go home and watch it on tv. They got all huffy, but they shut up, and I stood up even more than I otherwise might have just to spite them. I was livid!

In my humble opionion, if you have to start sitting down during big plays, or exciting moments at ball games, what's next, not cheering too loudly, not waving your arms and clapping??? Seroiusly, let's not dumb down the game of football or any other sport like we have so many other good things in America!!! :D

Next time just say "I bet you don't stand up in church, either."

texaspokieokie
7/22/2010, 05:54 PM
stand when the people in front of you stand

stand when there is an exciting play (most people do)

to stand for no reason is inconsiderate

most people in our area (nearly all) are considerate.

don't tell folks to stay home & watch it on tv

we buy our tickets & spend some money in Norman & make a 370 mile round trip to the games & we've been doing it since 1989. (also 6 games total in 1987 & 88)

to stand during the whole game is like being a tejas aggie.

badger
7/22/2010, 05:54 PM
I don't recall those lyrics anywhere in OK Oklahoma. Are you sure you're thinking of the right stadium? ;)

Derp... I was thinking of Rolling Stone's Start Me Up, which the PA system plays AFTER the band plays OK Oklahoma. :P

texaspokieokie
7/22/2010, 05:56 PM
i really like the Stones & "start me up" is a good one.

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 06:52 PM
Rather, just use common courtesy and do what you think is right. The only standing I have a problem with is people who stand on their seats outside the student section. I am a short girl and have enough trouble seeing as-is :(

I can dig it. I am short as well so I feel you - and if I saw someone who could not see because everyone was standing up - I would do everything I could to help. I know I could not get everyone to sit down but we would figure something out to make sure they could see. Even if we had to talk a little noise to make it happen.

oudavid1
7/23/2010, 04:47 AM
I just love being 6'1¾

texaspokieokie
7/23/2010, 08:58 AM
guy who sits in front of me is about 6'-6", & he has 2 sons that sometimes sit there. they're both taller than he is.

when they stand, i have to look around, no way to look over.

they're all 3 very considerate, tho.

gaylordfan1
7/23/2010, 10:12 AM
I sit on my couch to watch most games... The beer is close and so is my bathroom. It's just easier for me that way.... When I do go to the games I catch myself usually watching the big screen anyways.

Mississippi Sooner
7/23/2010, 10:19 AM
You know what's funny about being at games live now? At least, to me anyways.

You rarely see tv cameras anymore. They've made the things so bloody small, and I think a lot of them are remotely operated from the truck, that you really don't notice them anymore. When I was a kid, you could tell when a game was being nationally telecast because of the cranes and stuff around the stadium that were there solely for camera crews. It amazes me to see stuff on the big screen and then wonder, where is the camera that got that shot?

Maybe I think about too much stupid stuff when I'm at a game.

badger
7/23/2010, 10:39 AM
You rarely see tv cameras anymore.

I dunno about that... a few times they've had them hanging on wires from the corners of the stadium to hover over the field behind the line of scrimmage

Mississippi Sooner
7/23/2010, 10:41 AM
I dunno about that... a few times they've had them hanging on wires from the corners of the stadium to hover over the field behind the line of scrimmage

I think that's why I don't notice them. They are hanging from wires instead of being operated by some guy on a crane about 150 feet in the air.

I guess I don't notice things on wires. I hope nobody ever tries to snare me. I'd get caught right up.

oudavid1
7/23/2010, 04:29 PM
Either way, theres nothing better than being there. Cause when we score, were high fiving 85000 of our friends.

85Sooner
7/24/2010, 08:58 AM
How about the ole have consideration for those around you ploy. Gets em every-time its tried.

texaspokieokie
7/24/2010, 09:02 AM
would you stand for the whole game, if your Mother (or someone you cared about) was sitting behind you ??

JLEW1818
7/24/2010, 09:23 AM
if the person in front of me is standing, i stand.

if sitting, i sit.

texaspokieokie
7/24/2010, 09:33 AM
Jlew
me too.

EstablishedSooner1967
7/24/2010, 09:59 AM
Do what you want, you paid for your ticket too.

Boy and I going to get basted for this... but I hate that saying. No you cant do what you want.. Some people are older and cant get up and down. Some are kids and cant see over you.. The fact is.. you can yell and clap just as loud sitting as standing.. getting up makes no difference.
I am a big fan of the noise... and OU does need to be louder but when you stand the whole game you should consider the surroundings. Just because you buy a ticket does not mean you can be an ***..
Also, more ETIQUETTE... 1. be nice to visiting fans. 2. Dont give the down horns sign unless OU is playing UT. 3. If you are going to sneak liquor in offer some. 4. where crimson or white(cream) 5. learn when to get up and go to the bathroom.

texaspokieokie
7/24/2010, 12:36 PM
Excellent !!!!

OU_Sooners75
7/24/2010, 02:53 PM
The standing thing has never bothered me on a personal level one way or the other. I'm 6'-4", so if people in front me stand, I'll stand and still see the game fine. Makes me no difference.

What bothers me is that there are people in the stands like my wife, who is only about 5'-2". When people in front of us stand, she can't see much even if she stands, too. If not for the video board, she wouldn't get to see much of the game.

Stand on the seat or bleacher?