PDA

View Full Version : We are the Big 12 South favorite

badger
7/21/2010, 11:20 AM
So I guess this means Texas has more reason to complain, lol.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100721_92_0_NORMAN967233)

Boomer.....
7/21/2010, 11:30 AM
Honestly, I don't know how we couldn't be. They lost Colt, Shipply, Kindle, and don't have a running game.

badger
7/21/2010, 11:42 AM
The devil's advocate in me will point out that while UT lost their top guys... we lost our Heisman winner and #1 draft pick Sam Bradford, the #3 overall pick and defensive leader Gerald McCoy, the #4 overall pick and offensive line leader Trent Williams, and first-round draft choice and tight end extraordinaire Jermaine Gresham.

While we can use the "injury" argument for our 8-win season last year, we can't really use "injuries! injuries! injuries!" as an excuse now. We lost a lot of top players too.

47straight
7/21/2010, 12:10 PM
They're already bitching in Austin.

Mark_in_Tulsa
7/21/2010, 01:17 PM
Wow a&m picked 3rd? I guess it's not so much they are better, it's just Tech and osu teh suc this year.

badger
7/21/2010, 01:27 PM
I'll say what ever :stunned: already knows - OSU blew its big chance last year.

With OU having a down year due to injuries and Texas looking questionable in victory (when Sammie went down a second time, they still only beat us 16-13), it was OSU's chance to finally fulfill T. Boone's lifelong dream... the lifelong dream that had nothing to do with wind energy or whatever.

They blew it. Big time. Now their chance is gone to take a Big 12 crown in football. Wrestling, perhaps, but not football.

TahoeSOONER
7/21/2010, 01:34 PM
Preseason favorite means nothing but people respect your potential.

I'm already done with the talk and ready to hear some pads pop.

KantoSooner
7/21/2010, 01:46 PM
^^^^Yes. I most fully agree.

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not even a little surprised by this.

SoonerBacker
7/21/2010, 02:08 PM
The devil's advocate in me will point out that while UT lost their top guys... we lost our Heisman winner and #1 draft pick Sam Bradford, the #3 overall pick and defensive leader Gerald McCoy, the #4 overall pick and offensive line leader Trent Williams, and first-round draft choice and tight end extraordinaire Jermaine Gresham.

While we can use the "injury" argument for our 8-win season last year, we can't really use "injuries! injuries! injuries!" as an excuse now. We lost a lot of top players too.

The loss of McCoy and Williams are legitimate observations. However, we didn't lose Bradford and Gresham from last year's squad. Gresham didn't play at all last year and Bradford barely did. Even without Bradford (most of the game) and Gresham, the *s only won by 3. I'd have to say their loses from last year's squad are more important overall.

Only time will tell, of course, but I'd have to agree that going in OU should be the favorite.

texaspokieokie
7/21/2010, 02:44 PM
i note that this ranking came from the tulsa world.

i wonder if the austin newspaper has the same ranking ??

TheUnnamedSooner
7/21/2010, 02:50 PM
Wow a&m picked 3rd? I guess it's not so much they are better, it's just Tech and osu teh suc this year.

aTm will be better this year.

sooner ngintunr
7/21/2010, 02:50 PM

Yes, It was a poll that included media reps that cover the Big12.

Although the Austin Statesman does say "consider the source". As if there is some Big12 media bias towards OU.:rolleyes:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/07/21/media_votes_ou.html?srcTrk=RTR_95649

TexasLidig8r
7/21/2010, 02:52 PM
Only time will tell, of course, but I'd have to agree that going in OU should be the favorite.

So, a 5 loss team, with an uncertain offensive line, revamped defensive backfield having lost both safeties, losing their best defensive lineman, and whose rushing statistics placed them 73rd in DI last year and in games decided by 10 or fewer points since 2004, your record is 12 - 12 and whose record in the last 5 games against their biggest rival is 1 - 4 should be a favorite....

hmmmmmmmm

Mark_in_Tulsa
7/21/2010, 02:52 PM

Well this came from the Big 12 media voting. So unless they use horn media only it should be the same.

sooner ngintunr
7/21/2010, 02:55 PM
So, a 5 loss team, with an uncertain offensive line, revamped defensive backfield having lost both safeties, losing their best defensive lineman, and whose rushing statistics placed them 73rd in DI last year and in games decided by 10 or fewer points since 2004, your record is 12 - 12 and whose record in the last 5 games against their biggest rival is 1 - 4 should be a favorite....

hmmmmmmmm

Fail.

rawlingsHOH
7/21/2010, 02:58 PM

how can i answer this?

KantoSooner
7/21/2010, 03:31 PM

hmmmmmmmm

I know! Strange, huh? What does that say about last year's national runner up?

rawlingsHOH
7/21/2010, 03:44 PM

hmmmmmmmm

appears that's what the experts think!

Herr Scholz
7/21/2010, 03:54 PM
Congrats?

badger
7/21/2010, 04:05 PM

Seriously???

Ok, here's one from NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/ou-football-picked-to-win-big-12-south/article/3478216?custom_click=lead_story_title)

And here, the Dallas Morning News (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/media-picks-oklahoma-and-nebraska-to-top.html)

And... Houston Chronicle here! (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/7117918.html)

Ok, and someone else posted the Austin paper, so let's just go straight to the most pro-Texas source available out there: the Big 12 itself!

Link (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204969278)

Read the article next time

Booner
7/21/2010, 04:40 PM
Well, I'm sure the horns would be the preseason favorite if only Colt McCoy still had a year of eligibility.*

* Signed Mack Brown

SoonerBacker
7/21/2010, 04:42 PM

hmmmmmmmm

Considering that the 5 loss team you refer to lost by 3 to McCoy, Shipley & CO last year? Yeah, I'd say so.

bmjlr
7/21/2010, 04:50 PM

hmmmmmmmm

Yep, looks like OU is the favorite, what's your point?

StoopTroup
7/21/2010, 05:00 PM
We are going to kick so much *** even *** is scared.

The whorns can feel anyway they want. We've seen just how misplaced their feelings have been when they got their *** handed to them by Crabtree/ Leach / Tech and then started an airplane banner waiving campaign to try to sway their way past good sense....and then to finally get a shot with nearly the same caliber team the next year against Alabama and again have that *** handed to them....

It just doesn't matter what they think as they think they deserve to win it all every year and some years even though they lost games...they still think they won a MNC. SUC and Auburn have both fallen to the same "We won the AP MNC!" mentality. Sooners....even when we've pulled off another National Championship...we got very little kudos as most of the time we get the usual "They weren't the best Team...they were just the best Team that day" BS. Win to much and to often and we're evidently cheating.:rolleyes:

Yeah we lost some players. Some of those players were chastised by our own fans for losing games last year so I find it funny that many folks seem to think we lost anything.

The one thing I know is that Game Snaps and Game PT mean a lot. We've got plenty of guys who we should expect to see step up as leaders this year and IMO when they do...we...as I stated above...are going to kick some *** this year.

TexasLidig8r
7/21/2010, 05:08 PM
We are going to kick so much *** even *** is scared.

The whorns can feel anyway they want. We've seen just how misplaced their feelings have been when they got their *** handed to them by Crabtree/ Leach / Tech and then started an airplane banner waiving campaign to try to sway their way past good sense....and then to finally get a shot with nearly the same caliber team the next year against Alabama and again have that *** handed to them....

It just doesn't matter what they think as they think they deserve to win it all every year and some years even though they lost games...they still think they won a MNC. SUC and Auburn have both fallen to the same "We won the AP MNC!" mentality. Sooners....even when we've pulled off another National Championship...we got very little kudos as most of the time we get the usual "They weren't the best Team...they were just the best Team that day" BS. Win to much and to often and we're evidently cheating.:rolleyes:

Yeah we lost some players. Some of those players were chastised by our own fans for losing games last year so I find it funny that many folks seem to think we lost anything.

The one thing I know is that Game Snaps and Game PT mean a lot. We've got plenty of guys who we should expect to see step up as leaders this year and IMO when they do...we...as I stated above...are going to kick some *** this year.

So, we won't have to listen to everyone whine and gripe and try to come up with excuses when you lose.. once again.. to Texas. Stoopsie can't win the close games.

Of course, who knows.. this guy may come up big...

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs075.snc3/14240_217496719147_768624147_4137761_2899163_n.jpg

:D :D

StoopTroup
7/21/2010, 05:17 PM
Who says it's gonna be close? You? BWAH HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Again....here you are already bitching and whining about a game that hasn't even been played.

TahoeSOONER
7/21/2010, 05:34 PM
I think we all know the RRS will be a war once again and the team that plays more physical in the trenches and runs the ball will, and usually does, win the game.

I believe * knows that and is switching it's schemes up in hopes to be more physical on offense

texaspokieokie
7/21/2010, 05:52 PM
yep, that was dumb statement, my BAD !!!!!!

goingoneight
7/21/2010, 05:54 PM
So, we won't have to listen to everyone whine and gripe and try to come up with excuses when you lose.. once again.. to Texas. Stoopsie can't win the close games.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs075.snc3/14240_217496719147_768624147_4137761_2899163_n.jpg

I guess if we're going to disregard improtant details and facts, Mack can't win a National Championship without Vince Young. Texcuses, Texcuses, Texcuses. Big game choking Mack puked down his leg against Alabama.

oudavid1
7/21/2010, 06:15 PM
Im just glad someone remembered that texas lost there mccoy too

theresonly1OU
7/21/2010, 06:41 PM

Just remember, Lid; you started this.

Enjoy.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4816334819_9e85059da4.jpg

TahoeSOONER
7/21/2010, 06:51 PM
Scoreborad? ^

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 06:58 PM
Borat's brother.

JLEW1818
7/21/2010, 07:06 PM
Lid drinks his own pee

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 07:07 PM
Gotta wash the turds down with something.

SoonerBacker
7/21/2010, 07:09 PM

hmmmmmmmm

Let's see, going into the 2000 season, OU was coming off a 5 loss season. Question marks were everywhere. Sure, we had lots of returning starters, but why would anyone be concerned after a 5 loss season which ended with a bowl loss to Ole Miss? The Sooners had averaged only 104 yds rushing per game in 1999. We had lost to * by 10 points the previous season and had a 2-7-1 record against our biggest rival over the preceeding 10 years. The Sooners had lost their edge and were no longer a team that was considered a national powerhouse.

I vividly remember the arrogance of Whorn fans in 2000. No way the Sooners were going to see an improvement! The Whorns had Applewhite coming back and were simply reloading. Yeah, the Sooners had surprised tu in 1999 with a first half explosion, but tu had shut the upstarts down in the second half and Applewhite had led the way to another victory over the Whorns biggest rivals once again.

hmmmmmmmmm

Note: I am NOT saying that the 2010 Sooners will necessarily repeat the accomplishments of the 2000 team. I am pointing out that Whorn fans trying to say there is no way the Sooners should be the pre-season South Division favorite reminds me VERY much of the arrogant attitudes I encountered back in 2000. Keep it up, Whorns! Maybe your total dismissal of the Sooners is a sign of things to come!

theresonly1OU
7/21/2010, 07:09 PM
Scoreborad? ^

(do you guys have to ruin everything with your fancy spellcheck?)

GKeeper316
7/21/2010, 07:10 PM
While we can use the "injury" argument for our 8-win season last year, we can't really use "injuries! injuries! injuries!" as an excuse now.

summer practices havn't even started yet... at this point last summer we still had gresh and wort, balogun was fighting with the ncaa, and nobody knew who landry jones was.

JLEW1818
7/21/2010, 07:11 PM
Lid, whats funny is yall have beat us 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

yet OU has won the Big 12 three times.

Horns, only 2 times......

is 3 bigger than 2? i mean if your looking at it like that.

so it's pretty proven that we don't always have to beat you guys to win the Big 12. You call us chokers, but when yall do beat us, usually yall can't even finish the regular season off.

GKeeper316
7/21/2010, 07:16 PM

your cows, that played bama for the mnc, could still only beat our second team by 3 points.

oudavid1
7/21/2010, 07:33 PM
We are gonna own Texas, as long as someone will cover goodwin

A Sooner in Texas
7/21/2010, 07:51 PM
All this smack talk is making me ravenous for the season!

TexasLidig8r
7/22/2010, 08:18 AM
Note: I am NOT saying that the 2010 Sooners will necessarily repeat the accomplishments of the 2000 team. I am pointing out that Whorn fans trying to say there is no way the Sooners should be the pre-season South Division favorite reminds me VERY much of the arrogant attitudes I encountered back in 2000. Keep it up, Whorns! Maybe your total dismissal of the Sooners is a sign of things to come!

Hillbillies... :rolleyes:

Not saying Ou shouldn't necessarily be the preseason pick in the south. I am saying there are a bunch of holes and question marks for Ou this year. In fact, just as many as we have.

And certainly, no knowledgeable football fan is dismissing Ou at all. Year in and year out you have talent.

oh.. and some very big differences between 2000 and 2011?

In 2000, Mark Mangino, Mike Stoops
In 2011, Wilson and Vulnerables.

rawlingsHOH
7/22/2010, 08:42 AM

hmm... one better, one worse... all 4 solid....

Bourbon St Sooner
7/22/2010, 12:26 PM

hmmmmmmmm

Yep. The team that won the conference 3 of the last 4 years is favored again. Is this a hard concept to understand? Do they teach logic in asstin?

TexasLidig8r
7/22/2010, 12:56 PM
Yep. The team that won the conference 3 of the last 4 years is favored again. Is this a hard concept to understand? Do they teach logic in asstin?

Since the UT Law School is generally regarded as one of the top 10 in the United States, one would presume so.

As for "Austin".. (it's really ok to keep your homophobia in check).. I don't know.. I live in Preston Hollow in Dallas. :D

Curly Bill
7/22/2010, 01:03 PM
Hillbillies... :rolleyes:

Not saying Ou shouldn't necessarily be the preseason pick in the south. I am saying there are a bunch of holes and question marks for Ou this year. In fact, just as many as we have.

And certainly, no knowledgeable football fan is dismissing Ou at all. Year in and year out you have talent.

oh.. and some very big differences between 2000 and 2011?

Probably the best point you've ever made on here.

NormanPride
7/22/2010, 01:23 PM
Someone could post a picture of Venables picking his nose and Curly would have it framed. Conversely, someone could post a picture of Mike Stoops picking his nose, and Curly would have that framed for entirely different reasons.

:D

Curly Bill
7/22/2010, 01:34 PM
:D

47straight
7/22/2010, 02:01 PM

And I've seen your kicker taunt the Little Sisters of the Poor as he kicked a field goal as time ran out in the first half to pull up by 30. And by taunt, I mean run half-way back across the field to where they were vacating their bench.

goingoneight
7/22/2010, 02:03 PM
The question is whose Booger was it that won it all in 2000? The secondary coach or the LB coach? :D

mojohornfan
7/23/2010, 07:43 AM
Who says it's gonna be close? You? BWAH HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Again....here you are already bitching and whining about a game that hasn't even been played.

And here ya'll are pounding your chest before the season even starts.

Congrats on this great achievment of being selected to win the Big 12 by a bunch of nerdy sports writers!!

SoonerBacker
7/23/2010, 08:03 AM

Congrats on this great achievment of being selected to win the Big 12 by a bunch of nerdy sports writers!!

Just a little reminder for you, mojo -
1996 Texas 6-2
1997 Nebraska 8-0
1998 Texas A&M 7-1
1999 Nebraska 7-1
2000 Oklahoma 8-0
2001 Colorado 7-1
2002 Oklahoma 6-2
2003 Kansas St. 6-2
2004 Oklahoma 8-0
2005 Texas 8-0
2006 Oklahoma 7-1
2007 Oklahoma 6-2
2008 Oklahoma 7-1
2009 Texas 8-0

We've won 4 of the last 6 CCGs and 6 of the 14. Perhaps our record of taking the conference (even when losing the RRS) gives us a little more reason to be confident. :pop:

mojohornfan
7/23/2010, 08:09 AM
We've won 4 of the last 6 CCGs and 6 of the 14. Perhaps our record of taking the conference (even when losing the RRS) gives us a little more reason to be confident. :pop:

Congrats on your confidence...

...but I like our chances as well. Our defense will have to be dealt with.

SoonerBacker
7/23/2010, 09:51 AM
Congrats on your confidence...

...but I like our chances as well. Our defense will have to be dealt with.

Let's face it - OU & tu will be battling it out for the South & the conference championship. I think we both know that. My problem was/is your "And here ya'll are pounding your chest before the season even starts. Congrats on this great achievment of being selected to win the Big 12 by a bunch of nerdy sports writers!!" comment.

I'm sure there is no confidence being displayed on horn boards. Horn fans would never brag about their team before the season even starts. Right!

If you don't like seeing Sooner fans discuss this stuff, stay on hornfans.com!

Bourbon St Sooner
7/23/2010, 12:55 PM
Since the UT Law School is generally regarded as one of the top 10 in the United States, one would presume so.

As for "Austin".. (it's really ok to keep your homophobia in check).. I don't know.. I live in Preston Hollow in Dallas. :D

Since when do law and logic go together?

Why should I keep my homophobia in check? I live in New Orleans. I understand you're a regular attendee of the Southern Decadence Festival;)

TexasLidig8r
7/23/2010, 01:16 PM
Since when do law and logic go together?

Why should I keep my homophobia in check? I live in New Orleans. I understand you're a regular attendee of the Southern Decadence Festival;)

If by Southern Decadence Festival you mean Jazzfest.. and the Gospel Tent.. and Crawfish Monica.. oh yes sir, indeed. :D

NormanPride
7/23/2010, 01:29 PM
I've heard you have to pay extra for a Crawfish Monica...

mojohornfan
7/23/2010, 08:44 PM
Let's face it - OU & tu will be battling it out for the South & the conference championship. I think we both know that. My problem was/is your "And here ya'll are pounding your chest before the season even starts. Congrats on this great achievment of being selected to win the Big 12 by a bunch of nerdy sports writers!!" comment.

I'm sure there is no confidence being displayed on horn boards. Horn fans would never brag about their team before the season even starts. Right!

If you don't like seeing Sooner fans discuss this stuff, stay on hornfans.com!

If you've visited Hornfans one time, then you've visited more than I!!!!!

And yes, everyone SHOULD know it all comes down to the RRS! I believe it will be a low scoring game with both defenses dominating.

SoonerBacker
7/23/2010, 09:39 PM
I don't visit other teams' sites. I'm a Sooner Fan. I stay right here and get more comments from the other teams' fans than I really care to. No need to go to their sites.

oudavid1
7/23/2010, 11:43 PM
Dont forget what FAN means folks, its short for Fanatic. And well all here pride on be fanatical. Its part of the love and passion we share.

So **** texas!!!!!!!

gaylordfan1
7/24/2010, 12:06 AM
Man, I agree with Stoops on this one.... It's all pre-season hype. Nothing matters until we see the field. We will settle it there.

oudavid1
7/24/2010, 12:07 AM
Man, I agree with Stoops on this one.... It's all pre-season hype. Nothing matters until we see the field. We will settle it there.

Goes without saying. Great post!

TXBOOMER
7/24/2010, 08:17 AM
Preseason favorite means nothing but people respect your potential.

I'm already done with the talk and ready to hear some pads pop.

AGREE! We lost more than they did so I'm not sure why we all of the sudden are the favorite.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/26/2010, 09:20 AM
If by Southern Decadence Festival you mean Jazzfest.. and the Gospel Tent.. and Crawfish Monica.. oh yes sir, indeed. :D

I'm more of a Blues Tent kind you guy. But overall you have good taste counselor, except for the ole' puke orange cow thing.

Now quick! An ambulance just passed your office :)

IronHorseSooner
7/26/2010, 10:22 AM
AGREE! We lost more than they did so I'm not sure why we all of the sudden are the favorite.

The reason is that most "experts" view their personnel losses as more significant than OUrs. Colt and Shipley was their best one-two punch in recent memory, and they were clutch. These experts also view us and * as being even on defense and special teams, which I agree for the most part. Whereas * has a ton of talent on offense, like we do, they have a steep learning curve, as well as a transition to a new offense.

I have some rather strange logic to the beginning of this season. I agree that we should be picked over them to win the South, but we should be ranked behind them in the preseason polls (generally around the 8-10 range). The reason is that we have lost 4 of 5 to them, and until we can prove that we can beat them with Muschamp honchoing their D, I will continue to take that stance. It also provides tons of motivation for OUr guys.

cheezyq
7/26/2010, 04:57 PM

:confused:

http://www.soonerfans.com/KaseyStuddard.pdf

UT is legendary for their offseason chest pounding.

TexasLidig8r
7/27/2010, 09:03 AM
:confused:

http://www.soonerfans.com/KaseyStuddard.pdf

UT is legendary for their offseason chest pounding.

Whenever I see your name on here, I think of:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO9vScxMvzz96nd-QxMWgIGnzbgj2PcduEZ77-hXuKVxoctDs&t=1&h=167&w=223&usg=__8KVpd9r8zW21b-cE9JU0w5ckK20=

fwsooner22
7/27/2010, 09:09 AM
** should be the favorite until we prove otherwise. Just as when we owned them we should have been the favorite. It's really not that difficult.

gaylordfan1
7/27/2010, 09:38 AM
I take all these predictions with a grain of salt. Who knows how these teams will finish. I remember where we were predicted last season and we all remember how that went. After last year I take nothing for granted. I'm going to start judging OUr team once we start playing and see how we respond to adversity and how we play against quality opponents. To be honest, who cares what these polls tell us. They are all educated guesses. I know its the off-season and we need something to talk about. So, carry on.

utex74
7/30/2010, 03:03 AM
They're already bitching in Austin.

You must hang in different circles. Well...duh! I haven't heard any bitching. Garrett hasn't started a game yet. You guys getting the pre-season nod just makes sense. The season will tell.

47straight
7/30/2010, 02:04 PM
You must hang in different circles. Well...duh! I haven't heard any bitching. Garrett hasn't started a game yet. You guys getting the pre-season nod just makes sense. The season will tell.

You must not know any longhorn fans or listen to any of the three radio stations that discuss sports in the afternoon.

huskerland
7/30/2010, 03:32 PM
If one just likes polls this time of year?? #4 OU #11 Texas #8 the Nebs

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38462477/ns/sports/

Texas had better qet good quick! *Smile*