PDA

View Full Version : What band in Pandora gives you personally your best playlist?

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 09:08 AM
Right now I have Muse selected. Good new and indie playlist from that.

Alternatively, it's Joe Bonamassa or Jethro Tull. Depends on my mood.

yermom
7/21/2010, 09:19 AM
White Stripes, Pearl Jam or Weezer seem to hit me pretty well

i've been meaning to try out last.fm though

i haven't used much Pandora since i ran out of free hours a couple of months ago

delhalew
7/21/2010, 09:25 AM
I have several stations that contain multiple bands. So IDK. Seems like I did that from the beginning and never just put one band in there.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 09:35 AM
Free hours? Am I going to be billed at some point? I've been using it off and on since the day it started, and haven't yet....hmmm.

I've found the band selection can be hit and miss. I love old Genesis, but not the later pop stuff, which is what you get if you select them. I actually get a few older Genesis songs with my Jethro Tull selection.

Lawd knows what you'd get if you typed in a multi-generational band like the Stones.

yermom
7/21/2010, 09:36 AM
you only get 40 hours a month :O

then it nags you to get a premium membership

delhalew
7/21/2010, 09:43 AM
Couldn't you put in a specific song from an older stones album? I think the criteria gets pretty specific. If you put in a song with piano and vocal harmonies, that's what you get back. An acoustic song with a female vocalist, etcetera.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 09:56 AM
Actually I'd never considered that. Good idea. Let me see what happens when I select, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." Probably get a lot of Peter Gabriel...not a bad thing.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 09:57 AM
you only get 40 hours a month :O

then it nags you to get a premium membership

That is interesting, because I play it on my PS3/Home Theater constantly and that hasn't happened yet.

Lucky me?

delhalew
7/21/2010, 10:01 AM
Actually I'd never considered that. Good idea. Let me see what happens when I select, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." Probably get a lot of Peter Gabriel...not a bad thing.

You will still get Genesis from a different era, but not bands that sound like late model Genesis...I think.

OhU1
7/21/2010, 10:03 AM
Bassnecter is one. My other is Plump DJs. (techno, trance, ect.) If I want late 70, 80's punk the Ramones work. Wall of Voodoo hits 80's music pretty well

yermom
7/21/2010, 10:07 AM
That is interesting, because I play it on my PS3/Home Theater constantly and that hasn't happened yet.

Lucky me?

it might be different through devices vs. PCs

not sure

i have an OLD account, so i don't think it's a grandfather thing

Howzit
7/21/2010, 10:08 AM
If you run out of hours you can try Last.FM until the month is up.

yermom
7/21/2010, 10:19 AM
i was streaming The Spy for a while: http://www.thespyfm.com/

right now i'm back to my own mp3s

delhalew
7/21/2010, 10:20 AM
I'll tell you what's crazy. I use a Motorola 550(I think) to get a bluetooth signal from my blackberry or laptop, and FM transmit to the stereo in my truck. When using the pandora app on my BB it drops the BT connection after every song. Bizarre. I would really did using Pandora on the road if could sort out this BB problem.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 11:25 AM
SOMA.com is good too. Plays through your iTunes.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2010, 11:55 AM
Pearl Jam does it for me

delhalew
7/21/2010, 01:06 PM
If any of you are as ****tarded as me, and are having trouble using bluetooth via pandora on your handheld, there is an additional bt setting that must be enabled within the pandora app.
Also, thank you Lott for starting this thread, thereby reminding me I had an issue to sort out.
If you want to get a better grip on the process they use. Click on "why this song" or whayever, and it will give you the criteria.
Also, I think it could be fun to listen to other peoples stations.
I don't know if you need to be sent a link or if you can search "delradio" for instance.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 01:28 PM
My main station just went from some new indie song to Blur to Sun Volt to "dead flowers" by the Stones, so multi-band stations can work pretty well.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 01:29 PM
My main station just went from some new indie song to Blur to Sun Volt to "dead flowers" by the Stones, so multi-band stations can work pretty well. It went to James Brown after that, so I acheived a pretty eclectic mix.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2010, 02:07 PM
My main station just went from some new indie song to Blur to Sun Volt to "dead flowers" by the Stones, so multi-band stations can work pretty well. It went to James Brown after that, so I acheived a pretty eclectic mix.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty impressed with Pandora right now. They have thrown in several good live tracks.

C&CDean
7/21/2010, 02:16 PM
So, when is one of you ****wads gonna start speaking some mother****ing English up in this bitch, huh?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2010, 02:18 PM
rizzle Dizzle...Panizzle izzle strizzle rizzle fer cizzle frizzle...beeyotch

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:20 PM
Custom internet radio Dean.
Wave O da' future! Or the future of several years ago anyway.:D

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2010, 02:21 PM
why are you repeating me?...he read my post

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:23 PM
Rizzle dizzle back at ya'.

C&CDean
7/21/2010, 02:25 PM
I'm still all proud of my 2-gig mp3 player that keeps going "device full" every time I plug it into the laptop. The only thing on it is stuff off of CDs that I've purchased or borrowed.

Of course not owning a computer or having access to anything that is streaming (video or audio) probably limits my opportunities.

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 02:33 PM
Whatever you do, don't open the box.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:36 PM
I'm still all proud of my 2-gig mp3 player that keeps going "device full" every time I plug it into the laptop. The only thing on it is stuff off of CDs that I've purchased or borrowed.

Of course not owning a computer or having access to anything that is streaming (video or audio) probably limits my opportunities.

Being around my computer with a good internet connection so rarely, is why I use Pandora on my blackberry. I get so frustrated with radio(even Sirius) that the ability to program my own station is very appealing.

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 02:38 PM
I've got an 8 gig and I still get pissed over only being able to load 3% of my music collection.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2010, 02:39 PM
I use it on my iPhone, or as I like to call it, my iPocketvagina

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:44 PM
I've got an 8 gig and I still get pissed over only being able to load 3% of my music collection.

I've got somewhere north of 100 gigs of music on my laptop and that is still only half.
In my work truck my laptop is a big mp3 player while I'm working and used watching flicks when I'm not. Bluetooth has saved my life.
If I would spring for mobil 4g for my laptop and a slingbox...I would never get any work done.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 02:50 PM
I have to say, between the blackberry and loading up the laptop with movies and tv shows on the weekend, I am pretty much set.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 05:16 PM
I use it on my iPhone, or as I like to call it, my iPocketvagina

heh.

Leroy Lizard
7/21/2010, 05:18 PM
Wall of Voodoo

thesnowbishop
7/21/2010, 08:01 PM
Depends on the mood:

Bob Wills & His Texas playboys
Ray Charles
13th Floor Elevators

soonerscuba
7/21/2010, 08:45 PM
Girl Talk, The Weakerthans, Gnarles Barkley work for me.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2010, 09:46 PM
Girl Talk, The Weakerthans, Gnarles Barkley work for me.

Saw Girl Talk last year at Sasquatch...he made that place jump!

Turd_Ferguson
7/21/2010, 09:55 PM
Holy ****.

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 10:06 PM
I've never heard of Holy ****. How's their music?

Turd_Ferguson
7/21/2010, 10:26 PM
Holy ****, as in...I can't believe this has become a two page thread. Holy ****.

Crucifax Autumn
7/21/2010, 10:34 PM
Holy ****, it's up to 3 now!

Leroy Lizard
7/22/2010, 12:58 AM
Turisas worked pretty well.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 01:05 AM
I listened to Pandora for twelve mother f'n hours today and have an amazing story to tell, but I'm too tired.
Music Genome Project is the Ghost in the Machine.

Crucifax Autumn
7/22/2010, 01:25 AM
That's a bit of a letdown.

Position Limit
7/22/2010, 09:57 AM
talking heads has been the most consistent station for me. i've set up several over the last few years and they all eventually go off the deep end. that's my experience. i'm convinced david byrne runs pandora.

SoonerStud615
7/22/2010, 09:58 AM
Actually, Holy **** is a really good band. http://bit.ly/997Ou9

Nice suggestion Turd! On a related note, so is **** Buttons and Star***er.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 10:26 AM
I started my Pandora account around 4 years ago. I have one main station. I used no more than six bands to steer the content. In the first year I used it about 12 times for an extended listening period of an hour or two. I then didn't use it until yesterday. I thought it was cool, but what I remember most is having to reject a lot of songs. I thought it was cool enough to download the app on my phone, I just forgot to use it.
This Music Genome Project learns well. What was the result of 12 short listening periods and rejecting a lot of songs? Why the hell would I listen to Pandora for 12 damn hours?
In that twelve hour period I rejected TWO songs. I let some slide because they were pretty good. Most importantly, I was jumping for the thumbs up button for 90% of the songs. It wasn't playing songs I like. It was playing songs I love.
The strangest thing is the artists I gave it when I started, with a couple of exceptions, are not even my favorite bands. Every artist I like has songs I hate. Pandora did not play one bad song from an artist I like.
The bands I recall listing for the station.
/Drive-by Truckers
This resulted in a wide variety of Alt country. Also, initially a lot of rejected songs.
/Wilco
More alt country and an indie rock conection. I hate as much indie rock as I like so again a lot of rejections.
/Radiohead
This was key because it bridged indie rock and electronica with 90's alternative.
/Mastadon
I am very selective about the metal I like so this resulted in the most rejections, but in the end some very choice metal tracks.
/Ben Folds
This is a wierd one because I don't listen to much Ben Folds. I remember putting it in because I just wanted to hear a Folds song.
What's wierd is, I think this one was key as well. The piano connection served me well. This gave me a lot of piano singer/songwriter stuff, but most importantly classics like the Beatles and the Band. This is also what I feel gave me the classic RandB/Soul link. Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, and Marvin Gaye. These guys songs all have songs I don't like. Before I tell it, Pandora knows this and avoids them.
I still haven't figured out how it found 80s pop that I like(billy idol and simple minds for example) because I hate the majority of it.
/Jon Spencer Blues Xplosion. This one paid off big time.

Just those few bands have provided almost every genre I like.
The only thing lacking is progressive rock and select hip-hop, but I am confident Pandora will rectify that on it's own. As I was listening I was think "I really need to suggest blank", shortly thereafter that band would play.
Not only does Pandora learn well, but it learns fast. The end result was an entire day filled with great music.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 10:28 AM
Actually, Holy **** is a really good band. http://bit.ly/997Ou9

Nice suggestion Turd! On a related note, so is **** Buttons and Star***er.
Those are good bands.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 10:47 AM
I started my Pandora account around 4 years ago. I have one main station. I used no more than six bands to steer the content. In the first year I used it about 12 times for an extended listening period of an hour or two. I then didn't use it until yesterday. I thought it was cool, but what I remember most is having to reject a lot of songs. I thought it was cool enough to download the app on my phone, I just forgot to use it.
This Music Genome Project learns well. What was the result of 12 short listening periods and rejecting a lot of songs? Why the hell would I listen to Pandora for 12 damn hours?
In that twelve hour period I rejected TWO songs. I let some slide because they were pretty good. Most importantly, I was jumping for the thumbs up button for 90% of the songs. It wasn't playing songs I like. It was playing songs I love.
The strangest thing is the artists I gave it when I started, with a couple of exceptions, are not even my favorite bands. Every artist I like has songs I hate. Pandora did not play one bad song from an artist I like.
The bands I recall listing for the station.
/Drive-by Truckers
This resulted in a wide variety of Alt country. Also, initially a lot of rejected songs.
/Wilco
More alt country and an indie rock conection. I hate as much indie rock as I like so again a lot of rejections.
/Radiohead
This was key because it bridged indie rock and electronica with 90's alternative.
/Mastadon
I am very selective about the metal I like so this resulted in the most rejections, but in the end some very choice metal tracks.
/Ben Folds
This is a wierd one because I don't listen to much Ben Folds. I remember putting it in because I just wanted to hear a Folds song.
What's wierd is, I think this one was key as well. The piano connection served me well. This gave me a lot of piano singer/songwriter stuff, but most importantly classics like the Beatles and the Band. This is also what I feel gave me the classic RandB/Soul link. Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, and Marvin Gaye. These guys songs all have songs I don't like. Before I tell it, Pandora knows this and avoids them.
I still haven't figured out how it found 80s pop that I like(billy idol and simple minds for example) because I hate the majority of it.

Just those few bands have provided almost every genre I like.
The only thing lacking is progressive rock and select hip-hop, but I am confident Pandora will rectify that on it's own. As I was listening I was think "I really need to suggest blank", shortly thereafter that band would play.
Not only does Pandora learn well, but it learns fast. The end result was an entire day filled with great music.

This is an excellent description of what my experience has been as well.

Yesterday, during my "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" station, it just flat nailed it. With one exception. About 10 songs in, an ABBA song came on. WTF? That won't happen again.

Howzit
7/22/2010, 12:56 PM
I'm liking the mix Phoenix is playing so far.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 01:01 PM
I find it fascinating that you can do like LB and choose a specific song for a laser targeted selection, or do what I did for a genre spanning variety channel. Both ways work pretty well. I have half a dozen channels based on single bands, but I like my main channel so much I rarely get to them.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 01:33 PM
I'm liking the mix Phoenix is playing so far.

Phoenix huh? Will I need brownies with that? (singer sound a lot like the Of Montreal lead)

delhalew
7/22/2010, 01:36 PM
I wonder what Dirty Projectors would give you.

Howzit
7/22/2010, 01:43 PM
Phoenix huh? Will I need brownies with that? (singer sound a lot like the Of Montreal lead)

Not required, but it never hurts.

Sorry I can't join you, but I am subject to testing these days.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 01:53 PM
I wonder what Dirty Projectors would give you.

I have them as a station, wanted to preview them before the NMF2.

They really didn't do it for me and when I want Indie, I normally choose my Modest Mouse station.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 02:04 PM
I just wondered because I can't think of anyone like them as far as vocal melodies and that stumbling instumentation.
At some point I'll try them just to see who Pandora thinks is similar.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 02:07 PM
I have them as a station, wanted to preview them before the NMF2.

They really didn't do it for me and when I want Indie, I normally choose my Modest Mouse station.

I have a Crystal Castles channel. It's like getting skull****ed by a nintendo.