PDA

View Full Version : What is Bob doing about...

NOVSooner
7/21/2010, 07:32 AM
In relation to all the players from various universities lately being accused of receiving this or receiving that from an agent, agent's party, etc, does anyone know the measures that we take to make sure we don't fall into this? Spurrier is quoted as saying "unfortunately agents are around you all the time..." i know we have the compliance dept and such but are we solely educating the kids about this issue and letting them make their choices or have we got a stricter policy, etc? i agree with Saban that colleges need to get a handle on this.

gaylordfan1
7/21/2010, 08:33 AM
Nobody leaves the dorms/appt. under NO circumstance until you are done with football or you declare!

Signed, Yours Truly,

Bob

ouleaf
7/21/2010, 08:42 AM
Saban brought up a good point in that the NFL either needs to help in this matter, or don't do anything at all. There is just way too much a University can lose from the actions of one or two individuals, and it's really not fair to the players that do things the right way. He also mentioned penalties, fines, or suspensions for agents that contact college players in any way. As it stands right now, Agents really aren't held accountable for their actions, so there is nothing to really stop them from contacting kids.

Tear Down This Wall
7/21/2010, 09:02 AM
Look, a coach claiming not to know about a Reggie Bush-type situation is just lying.

The coaches and colleges who want to police this stuff do. Those that don't, don't - and, then, they whine about it when they get caught.

badger
7/21/2010, 09:07 AM
1- Recruit high character guys that are above cheating

2- Prepare these young athletes for everything they will face, from Texas to opportunities to break NCAA rules

3- Hope you've raised them right and hope they do the right thing

4- Have all law enforcement, employers and boosters on speed dial just in case they don't

gaylordfan1
7/21/2010, 09:25 AM
Has anyone heard if Stoops has consulted the Pacific Institute (I think thats the name) that Bama uses to educate the team and increase moral?

KantoSooner
7/21/2010, 09:47 AM
I really don't think it's hard to create and execute a compliance program that will protect the university and the program from NCAA sanctions. You make rules and demand certain evidence of compliance. You ask the appropriate questions and you follow up. Yes, there are a large number of athletes, but, really, you've got what 5 or 6 people in the compliance dept.? You can systemitize a vast portion of it. Not that hard to run.
The hard part, and essentially where Petey and crew seem to have fallen apart is in standing pat with the '18 year-old phenom'. Nobody wants to rock the boat when you might make Johnny All-Star mad in some programs. You have to have faith that your program is bigger and more important than any one player. BMOC Johnny is driving a new car? Ask him where the money came from. If his answer is not good enough, ask the parents. Politely explain to them that you HAVE to know because otherwise the NCAA will be 18 inches up your coit. If that makes them mad, so be it.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 09:57 AM
Sabans comments were spot on. If the NFL can't help control these unethical agents, then they should be cut out of the process until the combine.

47straight
7/21/2010, 12:15 PM
You can definitely control whether agents are allowed around the facilities and team.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 12:19 PM
You can definitely control whether agents are allowed around the facilities and team.

Yep. I mean college is the farm system for the neffel. If they won't sanction these guys. You don't have to let scouts in either, but it has to be NCAA wide.
BTW, Saban is going to be one grouchy little man at media days today.