PDA

View Full Version : AC Joint Seperation

OU Adonis
7/20/2010, 03:52 PM
Any resident doctors here?

Through some self diagnosis I have determined that I have an AC seperation. I have shoulder pain and a big bone poking up on just one shoulder, which based on google images is an AC seperation.

The question is this. I am pretty sure this is an old injury that healed on its own without proper treatment. (I didn't notice the bump until the last month or so). I plan on going to a doctor here in a week or two to see what he has to say.

My question to you SF doctors is, what can I expect for surgery? I expect that there will be surgery required since its already healed incorrectly.

And is there any real chance of serious damage if I wait till the fall? I am active in the summertime and I really don't want a lot of down time.

What I put up with right now is some shoulder pain when I lift or when I play volleyball, and with certain rainge of motions I have poping noises.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/20/2010, 03:59 PM
whatever you do, don't attempt to play football again until after surgery

Breadburner
7/20/2010, 04:01 PM
whatever you do, don't attempt to play football again until after surgery

Wow....heh...

Curly Bill
7/20/2010, 04:02 PM
I'd quit playing volleyball, not because your shoulder hurts, but because volleyball sucks. :D

TUSooner
7/20/2010, 04:03 PM
All I know is separation is spelled as I just did. ;)

But seriously, good luck with it, and go see an orthopedist before you guess yourself into a lot of pain and injury.

Crucifax Autumn
7/20/2010, 04:27 PM
If you sleep on that side for a few months it'll push it back into place.

OU Adonis
7/20/2010, 04:49 PM
All I know is separation is spelled as I just did. ;)

But seriously, good luck with it, and go see an orthopedist before you guess yourself into a lot of pain and injury.

I apparently grow worse with spelling as I get older and use MS Word more.. hah.

Yeah I just kinda dread going in to get work when the pain is minor but I don't want to be 60 and arthritic like Dean.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 06:11 PM
IBT:dean:

Okla-homey
7/20/2010, 06:26 PM
I'm sure Leroy will be along shortly to provide an expert course of treatment and prognosis of your condition.

Frozen Sooner
7/20/2010, 06:28 PM
I'm sure Leroy will be along shortly to provide an expert course of treatment and prognosis of your condition.

More likely he'll wait until OUDoc posts something, spend five minutes reading WebMD, then tell Doc he's completely wrong and doesn't understand the writings of Galen.