PDA

View Full Version : Pat Haden named new AD at USC; Trojans to return Bush Heisman...

Salt City Sooner
7/20/2010, 02:39 PM
USC will replace athletic director Mike Garrett with former Trojans quarterback Pat Haden and return the Heisman Trophy won by Reggie Bush in 1995, university president-elect C.L. Max Nikias announced Tuesday.

The Los Angeles Times first reported Haden would succeed Garrett on Aug. 3.

Garrett has been under fire since USC was hit with numerous NCAA sanctions and a finding of "lack of institutional control" after lengthy investigations into benefits received by Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo.

Nikias also announced a number of changes within and related to the athletic department, naming new officials in charge of compliance with NCAA rules. And he said the university would take down murals featuring Bush and Mayo at the Galen Center, Heritage Hall and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

"The Trojan Family honors and respects the USC sporting careers of those persons whose actions did not compromise their athletic program or the opportunities of future USC student-athletes," Nikias said.

He said USC would return the Heisman won by Bush in 2005 to the Heisman Trophy Trust next month.

USC football faces a two-year bowl ban, loss of scholarships and the vacating of wins. The university has appealed several of the sanctions, saying they were "too severe" and "inconsistent with precedent." In the meantime, the program has lost a number of highly-sought recruits, who were allowed to leave when the sanctions were imposed.

The basketball program, in a series of self-imposed sanctions, vacated wins, gave back NCAA tournament earnings and banned itself from postseason play last season.

Hailing USC's athletic heritage as an important part of the school's history and student life, Nikias said the university is determined to strengthen that heritage. "USC ... will seek to excel in the coming years in a manner that is consistent with the highest values of the academy," he said.

He also thanked Garrett for his 17 years of service, calling him "a tireless advocate of USC athletics." Garrett had his own highly successful career as a Trojans running back, earning All-American honors two seasons and winning the Heisman Trophy in 1965.

"He will always be held in the highest esteem by all Trojans, not only for his exploits on the playing field but as a leader, mentor, teacher and a driving force behind USC's student-athletics," Nikias said.

Haden is currently an analyst for Notre Dame football on NBC. A Rhodes Scholar, he quarterbacked the Trojans to three Rose Bowls before playing in the NFL for the Rams from 1976-81. He is also a general partner in Riordan, Lewis & Haden, a private equity firm.

Haden will step down from the USC Board of Trustees to accept the appointment and will report directly to the president's office. Nikias said. He will also be appointed to the faculty of the school's business and communications schools.

Nikias also named David M. Roberts as vice president for athletic compliance and promoted Ellen Ferris, formerly the associate provoist for athletic compliance, to associate vice president for athletic compliance.

"There will be a close collaboration" between the compliance office, the provost's office and the atheltic department, Nikias said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5395550

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 02:42 PM
return the Heisman Trophy won by Reggie Bush in 1995

Man how fast time has gone by... Just seemed like it was 5-6 years ago..........

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2010, 02:45 PM
So, who's trophy is it...Reggie's or the University's?

Wonder what RB is thinkin now.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing this means Haden will no longer be doing the NBC college football broadcasts? That's a shame. I enjoy his insight.

KABOOKIE
7/20/2010, 02:47 PM
Does this mean Vince Young is now a Heisman?

NOVSooner
7/20/2010, 02:54 PM
Does this mean Vince Young is now a Heisman?

You know it will be "claimed." Probably look like this: Vince Young 2005 Heisman Trophy Winner (*)

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 02:57 PM
Mike Garret was an awful AD anyways. They replace the former Trojans RB with a former Trojans QB. :rolleyes: Goodness...

Scott D
7/20/2010, 03:03 PM
Mike Garret was an awful AD anyways. They replace the former Trojans RB with a former Trojans QB. :rolleyes: Goodness...

I'd consider Haden to be a major improvement. He's certainly more qualified to be in charge of something than Garrett.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 03:15 PM
Man how fast time has gone by... Just seemed like it was 5-6 years ago..........

Well, clearly this report is from the future, since the LA Times first reported this appointment two weeks from now. (August 3rd)

OK2U
7/20/2010, 03:16 PM
]]Vince Young 2005 Heisman Trophy Winner (*)

Classic

OK2U
7/20/2010, 03:22 PM
ESPN:"USC's new president has ordered displays honoring Reggie Bush, such as this one, and O.J. Mayo to be taken down."
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0720/ncf_a_bush-jersey01_400.jpg

OUinFLA
7/20/2010, 03:22 PM
Im guessing RB will not be attending any more Heisman award presentations?

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 03:25 PM
Until said otherwise, RB is still the Heisman winner. USC is simply giving back the trophy they were given to display. At least, that's how I read it.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the DAC would have to vote to revoke his trophy. USC is just choosing not to display the trophy.

badger
7/20/2010, 03:27 PM
Congrats to USC for finally doing the right thing. Dissociate from that cheat like we did with Rhett Bomar and JD Quinn when it was found out that they weren't following the rules.

Don't care what Reggie does or OJ does.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 03:30 PM
Might as well take it away if his own school won't display it...

soonerboomer93
7/20/2010, 03:52 PM
Well, clearly this report is from the future, since the LA Times first reported this appointment two weeks from now. (August 3rd)

Try re-reading it. I had to read it twice and took it as he would succeed it on Aug. 3rd (not that they reported it then).

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the DAC would have to vote to revoke his trophy. USC is just choosing not to display the trophy.

So when does Bush show up at practice to sign autographs?

diegosooner
7/20/2010, 03:56 PM
Haden is probably a good choice.

TUSooner
7/20/2010, 03:56 PM
Pat Haden = good choice

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 04:04 PM
USC will replace athletic director Mike Garrett with former Trojans quarterback Pat Haden

http://creepygif.com/images/full/10.gif

Scott D
7/20/2010, 04:53 PM
Creepygifwnd

soonerhubs
7/20/2010, 05:32 PM
http://creepygif.com/images/full/10.gif

Now we know that you intentionally seek out creepy images. ;) Water's wet and we landed on the moon, I s'pose.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 06:33 PM
Try re-reading it. I had to read it twice and took it as he would succeed it on Aug. 3rd (not that they reported it then).

Yeah, I know that's what they meant. It's just a terribly-written article all the way around. Whatever intern ESPN had throw that thing together just devalued every journalism degree from his university. ;)

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 08:07 PM
Now we know that you intentionally seek out creepy images. ;) Water's wet and we landed on the moon, I s'pose.

There is a far more likely reason: I typed "racist kid animated gif" in Google and this is what I found.

NOVSooner
7/21/2010, 02:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/100721&sportCat=ncf

when will they start "claiming" the trophy?

humblesooner
7/21/2010, 04:22 PM
"USC football faces a two-year bowl ban, loss of scholarships and the vacating of wins. The university has appealed several of the sanctions, saying they were "too severe" and "inconsistent with precedent."

Maybe it's just me, but this paragraph alomost sounds like USC weighed the penalty against the deed and decided it was worth the punishment. They are not complaining about being punished, they are complaining about the severity of the punishment.

"If we had known the punishment would be this harsh, we would not have broken the rules."

badger
7/21/2010, 04:28 PM
Or perhaps, USC's new prez thinks that by giving back something as significant as the Heisman, this may make the NCAA rethink a two-year bowl ban or some of the scholly cuts.

If USC said "No broccoli for two months" like kids love to when parents ask what they think their punishment would be, they'd get no leniency, much like USC punishing their crappy basketball program and not football, then getting the ban hammer dropped in return.

By giving back the Heisman, accepting the one bowl ban and erasing the two notorious cheats (Reggie and OJ) from their record books, this might get a better reaction from the NCAA on appeals then, say, "no broccoli" aka mens basketball :)

(and it's not that all mens basketball is broccoli, it's that USC mens basketball is)

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2010, 04:38 PM
If I was gonna be a vegetable, it probably wouldn't be broccoli.

StoopTroup
7/21/2010, 05:12 PM
They didn't give back the MNC Trophy?

I mean...if Reggie is going to be given such honors and they aren't happy with his performance as a Student Athlete and said Athlete was instrumental to them winning all of those games....why keep that Trophy too?

Leroy Lizard
7/21/2010, 05:16 PM
(deleted)

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/21/2010, 07:10 PM
"Reggie, Reggie, Reggie...the lesson here is do your reprehensible **** AFTER you leave USC. If only you'd murdered your wife 26 years removed from your time here, you'd still have a display in Heritage Hall."

- O.J. Simpson

PLaw
7/21/2010, 10:26 PM
So, does reggie get invited to the downtown athletic club for the 2010 heisman presentation?

That would make for a nice pic - reggie & mike, arm in arm.

BOOMER

Scott D
7/22/2010, 04:48 AM
who knows, the Heisman Trust (aka DAC) are reviewing whether or not they can/will revoke Bush winning the Heisman.

Jacie
7/23/2010, 06:02 AM
Sending back the Bush Heisman is a visible sign they are cleaning house. I wonder why they don't finish the job and send back Mike Garrett's and OJ Simpson's while they are at it.

Shakadoodoo
7/23/2010, 06:25 AM
Vince Young should have won the Heisman trophy that year anyway!

BeatUT
7/23/2010, 09:12 AM
Yesterday I actually heard 2 separate UT fans say, "I told you Vince Young was a better player than Reggie Bush"

I also heard some fool running around Austin yelling - "WE WON THE HEISMAN!"

------------------------------

I don't hate Austin, I just hate the people that live here.

Mississippi Sooner
7/23/2010, 09:35 AM
I advocate the King Solomon approach. Just chop up the Heisman from that year and divide it equally among the others receiving votes. Seems fair.