PDA

View Full Version : AD being ripped on 1st and 10

soonerfromgeorgia
7/20/2010, 01:45 PM
as I type. They are debating whether he or Chris Johnson will be better during their careers.

They are pointing out these reasons for AD not being as good as CJ.

1. Fumbles, fumbles, fumbles. Said the Vikings lost 2 games this past season because of AD's fumbles.

2. Won't last in the NFL due to his style. Rather run over folks than around, can't avoid the "big" hits.

3. No break away speed.

TahoeSOONER
7/20/2010, 01:47 PM
Ha! Johnson is fast but AD has the speed and power with a body type to take the punishment.

AD needs to hold onto the ball better though.

bmjlr
7/20/2010, 01:48 PM
Well he does have a fumbling problem, but I don't agree with the "No break away speed".

badger
7/20/2010, 01:50 PM
First: Derp derp, running back career over at 30 derp

And Ten: Derp, but AP is only 25 years old, derp.

(pause)

First: Fumbley fumbley, lose lose!

And Ten: Career will be over at 30 due to hits, derp!

First: No speed, derp

And Ten: He ran 4.38 at the Combine.

(pause)

First: Purple Jesus be slower than that Jamaican sprinter, derp.

And Ten: No 9.58 dash from Adrian, derp.

Did it go about like that?

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 01:55 PM
Come on now I love AD as much as anyone but let's take off our Crimson colored glasses for a second. CJ had 2,509 yds from scrimmage, touchdowns of 50+, 60+, and 90+ in the same game, 50 rec for 503 yds., and ONLY 3 fumbles on 358 carries. And that was only last season! But yes I love AD very much and wouldn't swap him for CJ any day but come on now...

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 01:56 PM
As for the career part it depends on who stays healthy...

SoonerLB
7/20/2010, 01:59 PM
AD will be in the Hall of Fame waiting on Johnson to show up, if he ever makes it!

Serge Ibaka
7/20/2010, 01:59 PM
Peterson has the better football name. I already know, like, a half-dozen Chris Johnsons. Borrrrring.

Madsen is right however: CJ has been awesome. It's a tough debate, and I really hope that AD gets a solid career out of his legs.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 02:03 PM
AD will be a HoF no doubt... If CJ keeps putting up video game statistics how can you argue with that?

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 02:19 PM
Fumbles thru 1st 3 seasons...

Adrian Peterson 20

NFL all-time leading rushers
1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 02:21 PM

Adrian Peterson 20

1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

Shows how much these analysts did their studies before opening their mouth....

stoopified
7/20/2010, 02:25 PM
If VY remains the QB for the Titans CJ will have declining production as defenses stack against him.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 02:30 PM
If VY remains the QB for the Titans CJ will have declining production as defenses stack against him.
Hard to sustain the same productivity when you rush for the 5th most yards in a season in the history of the league.

badger
7/20/2010, 02:44 PM
Hard to sustain the same productivity when you rush for the 5th most yards in a season in the history of the league.

especially if you're holding out for a contract that'll never come. :P

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2010, 02:59 PM

:rolleyes:

Lord Almighty.. look at the stats from last year.

Johnson had 4 games under 100 yards... and all were in the first 6 games of the year. So, what was the difference between the first 6 games and the last 10? Vince Young regained the starting QB position from game 7 on.

In the first game against Jacksonville, he had 83 yards. In the second game, with VY, he had 228.

He had a total of 2 rushing touchdowns in the first 6 games.
He had a toral of 12 rushing touchdowns with VY as QB.

With VY at quarterback, Johnson had the most productive rushing month in NFL history.

With VY at QB, the Titans can diversify its offense to take advantage of Johnson's skills... spread offense, some option, short passing game.

In short, the stats and facts don't support your opinion.

But. . . whatever.. keep on hatin.

cheezyq
7/20/2010, 03:01 PM
as I type. They are debating whether he or Chris Johnson will be better during their careers.

They are pointing out these reasons for AD not being as good as CJ.

1. Fumbles, fumbles, fumbles. Said the Vikings lost 2 games this past season because of AD's fumbles.

2. Won't last in the NFL due to his style. Rather run over folks than around, can't avoid the "big" hits.

3. No break away speed.

Isn't First and 10 the renamed Cold Pizza? They kept same cast of idiots, right? If so, I wouldn't put much stock into anything that comes out of that heaping pile of stupidity.

Regardless,

1. Several backs have had long careers with fumbling issues. The most recent example I can come up with is Tiki Barber. Talent is what matters. All backs have weaknesses and I guarantee CJ has weaknesses in his game.

2. Name all the small backs that have long careers...hmmm...still waiting. Bigger backs take more punishment, but can dish it out too. Little backs can take less punishment, and their styles tend to lead more towards the injuries that threaten THEIR careers, such as knee injuries, which are entirely based on speed and cutting ability. In the end, it's even. See: Jerome Bettis

3. ROFLMAO. Yeah, because AD is INFAMOUS for his lack of breakaway speed. Idiots.

Dio
7/20/2010, 03:18 PM
What is this "ESPN" of which you speak?

kelloggOUballa
7/20/2010, 03:18 PM
Mark it down, Jammal Charles will rush for more yards this season than Chris Johnson. You heard it here first. Same back, different name.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 03:23 PM
Mark it down, Jammal Charles will rush for more yards this season than Chris Johnson. You heard it here first. Same back, different name.

LMAO! Yeah, I seen the same segment on ESPN...

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 03:25 PM
Isn't First and 10 the renamed Cold Pizza?

Which was the worst idea for a show name I think I've ever heard.

diegosooner
7/20/2010, 03:52 PM
Come on now I love AD as much as anyone but let's take off our Crimson colored glasses for a second. CJ had 2,509 yds from scrimmage, touchdowns of 50+, 60+, and 90+ in the same game, 50 rec for 503 yds., and ONLY 3 fumbles on 358 carries. And that was only last season! But yes I love AD very much and wouldn't swap him for CJ any day but come on now...

We don't know if CJ will be another Larry Johnson.

soonerfromgeorgia
7/20/2010, 04:01 PM

Before you bash VY, what happens to AD if Brett doesn't make it back or this is his last season? Would defense's then stack against him?

By the way, I'm not a fan of VY or BF.

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 04:06 PM
Shows how much these analysts did their studies before opening their mouth....

facts are never important. opinions are.

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 04:07 PM
what happens to AD if Brett doesn't make it back or this is his last season? Would defense's then stack against him?

they were stacked against him (AD) all of last year too. nothing changed from previous years. no coincidence favre had the best year of his life.

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2010, 04:28 PM

2. Name all the small backs that have long careers...hmmm...still waiting. Bigger backs take more punishment, but can dish it out too. Little backs can take less punishment, and their styles tend to lead more towards the injuries that threaten THEIR careers, such as knee injuries, which are entirely based on speed and cutting ability. In the end, it's even. See: Jerome Bettis

Tony Dorsett -- 5'11" 192lb
Emmitt Smith -- 5'9" 205 lb
Barry Sanders -- 5'8" 195 lb
Walter Payton -- 5'10" 195 lb

Those guys.. all under 6' and under 210 lb weren't too bad.

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 04:32 PM
Tony Dorsett -- 5'11" 192lb
Emmitt Smith -- 5'9" 205 lb
Barry Sanders -- 5'8" 195 lb
Walter Payton -- 5'10" 195 lb

Those guys.. all under 6' and under 210 lb weren't too bad.

So funny to think that Payton only weighed 195. He looked every bit as big as the guys tackling him. I think players are simply heavier nowadays.

East Coast Bias
7/20/2010, 05:23 PM
All the players are getting bigger and faster. Especially on the defensive side. I and thinking LB,s like Butkus and Jack Lambert would be cast as safeties in today's game. I hope AD can stay injury-free , some of the big athletic backs that could run and hit had short careers. Sims and Bo Jackson come to mind, as well as Marcus Dupree.

goingoneight
7/20/2010, 05:53 PM
AD has pigskin protection problems, and a case of the dropsy hands in the passing game. He's literally a freak of nature, between-the-tackles, could-break-one-at-any-moment-kinda guy, though.

I've personally seen enough out of AD with a HORRID QB situation long before Favre that tells me the guy is good enough and consistent enough to be called among the best if not the best in the NFL. We'll see if CJ remains consistent or gets figured out.

oudavid1
7/20/2010, 05:55 PM
Im a Titans fan and i dont want Johnson anymore, hes gonna cost us to much and he dosnt block for shizzz, i dont care if he runs well, this is a passing league and im sick of not winning.

texaspokieokie
7/20/2010, 05:57 PM
ECB

don't think butkus would've ever been a safety. he played some center.

texaspokieokie
7/20/2010, 06:03 PM
being under 6' doesn't make you smaller, just shorter.

can't see how a titans fan doesn't want johnson, he got a raise, but not all that much

you reckon the price of beer @ the ballpark will increase ??

like it did when hicks gave arod a 1/4 bil.

EstablishedSooner1967
7/20/2010, 07:14 PM
They are right AD fumbles way too much... and Chris Johnson is faster and more elusive.... is he a better all around back probably not but last year he was a better back.

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 08:13 PM
:rolleyes:

Lord Almighty.. look at the stats from last year.

Johnson had 4 games under 100 yards... and all were in the first 6 games of the year. So, what was the difference between the first 6 games and the last 10? Vince Young regained the starting QB position from game 7 on.

In the first game against Jacksonville, he had 83 yards. In the second game, with VY, he had 228.

He had a total of 2 rushing touchdowns in the first 6 games.
He had a toral of 12 rushing touchdowns with VY as QB.

With VY at quarterback, Johnson had the most productive rushing month in NFL history.

With VY at quarterback, Johnson had to have the most productive rushing month in NFL history. ;)

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 08:17 PM
I've personally seen enough out of AD with a HORRID QB situation long before Favre that tells me the guy is good enough and consistent enough to be called among the best if not the best in the NFL. We'll see if CJ remains consistent or gets figured out.

To be honest, I think NFL defenses have figured out AD. His production has slowly dropped off and I'm wondering if we are going to see any more monster numbers out of him.

jkjsooner
7/20/2010, 08:18 PM
They are right AD fumbles way too much... and Chris Johnson is faster and more elusive.... is he a better all around back probably not but last year he was a better back.

But, if I'm reading the post correctly, they said Peterson doesn't have breakaway speed which is absurd. Nobody denies that Johnson is faster than Peterson.

As for fumbles, Peterson's main problem is that he gets stripped while fighting for yards. When he's fighting everyone now tries to yank the ball away. That can work in Peterson's advantage because he can break away if the guys aren't going to wrap up. If he just learned to to go down when he has 2 or 3 guys around him he could cut those fumbles in half.

soonerfromgeorgia
7/20/2010, 08:23 PM
I also think the folks saying he is headed to the HOF need to take of the crimson glasses. He has the potential to be mentioned with the greats, but it is way to early for him to even be discussed in conversations containing Payton, Dickerson, Dorsett and Emmitt.

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 09:11 PM
To be honest, I think NFL defenses have figured out AD.

figured him out? LOL! give me a effin break. you mean by putting 8 or 9 in the box?

what was Favre's TD/INTs last year again? yeah, really "figured it out".

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 09:12 PM
I also think the folks saying he is headed to the HOF need to take of the crimson glasses. He has the potential to be mentioned with the greats, but it is way to early for him to even be discussed in conversations containing Payton, Dickerson, Dorsett and Emmitt.

brilliant... ditto that to ANY player thru 3 seasons then.

PLaw
7/20/2010, 09:17 PM

Adrian Peterson 20

1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

Yep, that's pretty good company.

Break away speed?? are you kidding me?? how many 60+ TD's has CJ had??

BOOMER

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 11:24 PM
figured him out? LOL! give me a effin break. you mean by putting 8 or 9 in the box?

what was Favre's TD/INTs last year again? yeah, really "figured it out".

I could understand your argument more if the Vikings had no passing threat. Favre did a great job last season though. Defenses certainly couldn't sell out to stop the run.

For some reason, this is only used as an excuse by the fans of the RB.

TexasLidig8r
7/21/2010, 08:17 AM
This guy wasn't too bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJybuzkMT0&feature=related

texaspokieokie
7/21/2010, 08:28 AM
Earl was GREAT !!!

after all that punishment, where is he now !!

texaspokieokie
7/21/2010, 08:29 AM
i'll still take jimmy brown.

rawlingsHOH
7/21/2010, 09:53 AM
I could understand your argument more if the Vikings had no passing threat. Favre did a great job last season though. Defenses certainly couldn't sell out to stop the run.

For some reason, this is only used as an excuse by the fans of the RB.
Yes they did.

I watched 18 Vikings games last year. How many did you watch?

Defenses totally disrespected Favre for the majority of the season, especially early on, leaving corners on islands, recruiting safeties for run support. It was ridiculously easy pitch-n-catch on the outside, much of the time.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/21/2010, 09:56 AM
Yes they did.

Is that all? :D

Sooner04
7/21/2010, 09:56 AM
Defenses totally disrespected Favre for the majority of the season, especially early on, leaving corners on islands, recruiting safeties for run support. It was ridiculously easy pitch-n-catch on the outside, much of the time.
Which is why Sidney Rice was able to have such a monster season.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/21/2010, 09:59 AM
That's also why Favre had one of his best seasons. They gave it to 'em, so he took it!

badger
7/21/2010, 10:05 AM
That's also why Favre had one of his best seasons. They gave it to 'em, so he took it!

retire dinosaur retire

rawlingsHOH
7/21/2010, 10:14 AM
Is that all? :D

Well, 20 if you count the preseason games against Houston and Dallas. :(

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2010, 10:30 AM
Which is why Sidney Rice was able to have such a monster season.

And why Percy Harvin turned out to be quite the sleeper as a bye week replacement for some of us last year.

Pigface1
7/21/2010, 03:14 PM
It's interesting that a lot of people blame AD for fumbling and "losing" their last game last year. They easily forget that he was a large part of the reason they got to that game and were still in the game late in the first place.

In that regard, he's similar to Favre. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Some guys are just reckless, but that's a part of what makes them great.

Pigface1
7/21/2010, 03:17 PM

lmao

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/21/article-1036911-008D18B90000044C-813_468x334.jpg

rawlingsHOH
7/21/2010, 03:45 PM
It's interesting that a lot of people blame AD for fumbling and "losing" their last game last year. They easily forget that he was a large part of the reason they got to that game and were still in the game late in the first place.

In that regard, he's similar to Favre. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Some guys are just reckless, but that's a part of what makes them great.

Vikings turned it over 5 times against the Saints. None of those were credited to Peterson. Though the fumbled handoff was partially his fault. Berrian, Harvin and Favre lost fumbles, and Favre had two picks.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/21/2010, 04:28 PM
retire dinosaur retire

I thought you loved the guy at one time??? :D

Leroy Lizard
7/21/2010, 05:05 PM
Yes they did.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/nLzHTofR4hjHAUhtkzkRwxAKApZ5tFrA6x5j_kfqQaq9P3Y83r lgxhq4z1RHheB-2PTgBsZNICx39OIbHGSGrGAumWCMZOnWuAK16MvLfET0H9nzJq Fx5qniU8gpsPM4ARwX2Wsey_M7dddVD5ZDfhS1wulOcZ6juWJA MGk