PDA

View Full Version : The Dentist

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 03:52 AM
I have to go to the dentist Friday. Most people don't like going to the dentist. But I don't mind the actual cleaning and (when needed) drilling. I can even handle that pointy metal pick they use to tear gums apart.

I hate the nagging.

I'm over 50, and I have heard the scolding a hundred times by now. I know I don't floss as often as they want me to. I know I'm not taking care of my teeth like most teeth-obsessed people do.

I'm tired of hearing about it. Real ****ing tired.

I have the urge to tell both the dental hygienist and dentist to just STFU. Maybe I'm the only person with this peeve, but I feel like a little kid having Mommy telling me to eat vegetables so that I will grow up to be a big boy.

Maybe I should corner the dental medicine majors and lecture the crap out of them on proper study habits. "You know, I overheard you talking about cramming for this exam last night. Do you know that two hours of studying every night reduces the need to cram for an exam?"

If I nag them enough, maybe I can make them hate going to class. Then they would know how I feel.

Rant over.

sooner_born_1960
7/20/2010, 07:38 AM
I get pretty tired of listening to their crap, too.

49r
7/20/2010, 10:28 AM
Don't worry, you'll lose you teeth soon enough then your dentist worries will all be over.

OULenexaman
7/20/2010, 11:32 AM
you should have eaten your veggies....

Okla-homey
7/20/2010, 11:53 AM
My advice is to be sure and tell both the hygienist (a/k/a plaque-scraper woman) and the dentist how they're doing it all wrong and don't know WTF they're doing or talking about, like you love to do here. That should really work out well for ya.

OUthunder
7/20/2010, 12:39 PM
I went to our new dentist yesterday and he was really a nice guy. The hygienist was blonde, good looking and pregnant. At one point she told me that she was sorry that she was pregnant, and that her fat tummy was in my face. I responded to her that it was not her tummy that was in my face, not that I minded.

She proceeded to clean my teeth as rough and as rugged as I've ever had done. She went to town on me and now I'm skeered of her for the next time.

This is one time that I should have kept my big mouth shut.

BTW, my teeth feel like she took a large cheese grader to them.

On the bright side, the dentist told me that I have nice teeth and no cavities.

fadada1
7/20/2010, 01:07 PM
my old man is a dentist. there's nothing better than being able to scream "HEY, that freaking hurts!!!!"... but then get laughter in return.

Serge Ibaka
7/20/2010, 01:23 PM
my old man is a dentist. there's nothing better than being able to scream "HEY, that freaking hurts!!!!"... but then get laughter in return.

That sounds like the opposite of "nothing better." Your dad is a jerk. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I agree with Leroy's OP: preachy dentists are annoying. But, at the same time--given that these are people who have devoted their lives to teeth--I sometimes grant them them the moral authority to disapprove of my mouth-hygiene.

It's kind of similar to my mechanic when I was 17: he would tell me how I did not take good enough care of my vehicle. In 2008 I bought a (used) car for the first time, and I take much better care of this new one.

And so all of the preachy dentists of the world at least have their hearts in the right place.

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 03:19 PM
My advice is to be sure and tell both the hygienist (a/k/a plaque-scraper woman) and the dentist how they're doing it all wrong and don't know WTF they're doing or talking about, like you love to do here.

Oh, looks who's talking.

Leroy Lizard
7/20/2010, 03:20 PM
I went to our new dentist yesterday and he was really a nice guy. The hygienist was blonde, good looking and pregnant. At one point she told me that she was sorry that she was pregnant, and that her fat tummy was in my face. I responded to her that it was not her tummy that was in my face, not that I minded.

She proceeded to clean my teeth as rough and as rugged as I've ever had done. She went to town on me and now I'm skeered of her for the next time.

Sounds like a self-inflicted injury.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/20/2010, 03:47 PM
I have to go to the dentist Friday. Most people don't like going to the dentist. But I don't mind the actual cleaning and (when needed) drilling. I can even handle that pointy metal pick they use to tear gums apart.

I hate the nagging.

I'm over 50, and I have heard the scolding a hundred times by now. I know I don't floss as often as they want me to. I know I'm not taking care of my teeth like most teeth-obsessed people do.

I'm tired of hearing about it. Real ****ing tired.

I have the urge to tell both the dental hygienist and dentist to just STFU. Maybe I'm the only person with this peeve, but I feel like a little kid having Mommy telling me to eat vegetables so that I will grow up to be a big boy.

Maybe I should corner the dental medicine majors and lecture the crap out of them on proper study habits. "You know, I overheard you talking about cramming for this exam last night. Do you know that two hours of studying every night reduces the need to cram for an exam?"

If I nag them enough, maybe I can make them hate going to class. Then they would know how I feel.

Rant over.Before tearing into those oral folks, you should watch the movie: THE DENTIST, with Corbin Bernson.