PDA

View Full Version : New Sooner fans, and those who don't know squat

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/19/2010, 05:29 PM
about OU football, like maybe lurkers from other fan bases, who think their school might have a tradition, please read this brief HISTORY of OU FOOTBALL, especially from 1945 to the present: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football

Jacie
7/19/2010, 05:50 PM
Rush is just being modest.

It is actually a pretty good read for even knowledgeable and/or long-time Sooner fans.

Go ahead! Enjoy!

Dan Thompson
7/19/2010, 06:28 PM
Great post.

AlbqSooner
7/19/2010, 07:15 PM
Rush is just being modest.

You really don't know Rush very well do you?;)

fadada1
7/19/2010, 07:25 PM
You really don't know Rush very well do you?;)
oooh, i LOVE Moving Pictures!!!
;) :D

soonerhubs
7/19/2010, 08:04 PM
kFBDn5PiL00

:D
;)

A Sooner in Texas
7/19/2010, 11:19 PM
That "Gibbs-Smellsofbourbon-Blake Years" part should just be titled "The Lost Years."

Seriously, RLIMC, thanks for posting...it's always good to be reminded that nothing compares to OU.

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 09:38 AM
Oklahoma holds the record for most lopsided instate rivalry with a record of 81-16-7 over Big 12 Conference opponent Oklahoma State. In fact the rivalry is so lopsided that Oklahoma has shut out Oklahoma State more times (28 - not including 0-0 ties) than Oklahoma State has won against Oklahoma.

Greatest line right there

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2010, 09:52 AM
That "Gibbs-Smellsofbourbon-Blake Years" part should just be titled "The Lost Years."

Actually, Gibbs was a needed, right coach at the right time for your program. More than anything, you needed a coach who had a reputation for being clean, who was going to take control over the program.

The last few years of the Switzer regime stacked the deck against Gibbs.. the probation, loss of scholarships and perception that your program was out of control were all huge issues Gibbs had to deal with.

He didn't win as much as you would have liked, but, I believe, he was responsible for cleaning up the program and putting a different face on it. He rebuilt the foundation.

Smells-of-bourbon and Blake were disasters. In fact, as for Blake, although he could recruit, a stench of impropriety hangs over that guy... apparently, he is involved in the North Carolina mess right now.

Here's a pretty good read on Blake.

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/07/19/the-north-carolina-agent-fiasco-the-john-blake-stain/

Shakadoodoo
7/20/2010, 10:22 AM
Actually, Gibbs was a needed, right coach at the right time for your program. More than anything, you needed a coach who had a reputation for being clean, who was going to take control over the program.

Gibbs may have been good to uplift the reputation of the football program but he was not a good fit as far as coaching styles - My freshman year at OU was Gibbs first year coaching and many of the complaints stemmed from Gibbs trying to bring in a whole new system with the same coaches that Switzer had under him. They tried to turn OU into a passing offence and bring quarterbacks like Cale Gundy in, when that was not the style of football OU played at the time. Which was a good thing in the end because we could not survive if we were running the wishbone - but they should have either replaced Switzer with a coach with a comparable style or let Gibbs bring his own coaching staff with him.

badger
7/20/2010, 10:40 AM

The last few years of the Switzer regime stacked the deck against Gibbs.. the probation, loss of scholarships and perception that your program was out of control were all huge issues Gibbs had to deal with.[/URL]

Here's hoping Lane Kiffin is USC's Gibbs... wait a second, Kiffin follow the rules? Lol. Kiffin doesn't even KNOW the rules. Maybe Kiffin will sink them a little further before they oust their corrupt Heisman AD and the lot of them before they get their Gibbs.

Oh, and I am not a satisfied Sooner unless coaches are fired following every loss, starting with Brent Vulnerables if the other team score too much (which they would, if OU loses) and Chuck "Third and" Long... oh, he's already gone? Well, then, what is Kevin Wilson's insulting nickname and why have we not come up with one yet?

[/sarcasm]

But seriously, how has Kevin Wilson escaped the bad joke nicknames that we bestowed on other assistants?

7/20/2010, 01:39 PM
Gibbs prolly was an OK choice for a while, but when it was apparent his teams weren't improving, he should have been replaced. I wanted him gone after 3 yrs, and could have understood him having a 4th year, but the last 2 yrs shouldn't have happened.

delhalew
7/20/2010, 01:54 PM
Gibbs prolly was an OK choice for a while, but when it was apparent his teams weren't improving, he should have been replaced. I wanted him gone after 3 yrs, and could have understood him having a 4th year, but the last 2 yrs shouldn't have happened.

Word to your mother.:D

A Sooner in Texas
7/20/2010, 11:44 PM
Gibbs was in way over his head, and coming after Switzer, he never could have lived up to even a small portion of the record Barry built over the years. And Lid, when I was referring to the "Lost Years," I was referring to that entire era of Gibbs, followed by smellsofbourbon, followed by...well, no need to mention his name, is there?
Thank god they were all followed by Bob Stoops.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2010, 12:11 AM

Hell, the second to last year was his best one. I remember we got all tickety-boo after going 9-3 and sweeping the Texas schools. Some mags even talked about an outside shot at a national title.

7/21/2010, 12:59 AM
Gibbs beat the cows once or twice, and NEVER beat nebbish or the brokeback buffalos. I was damned excited when we hired Smellsobourbon. Little did I know of what he was about to do.

texaspokieokie
7/21/2010, 10:55 AM
Gibbs was a good coach, can you imagine how hard it was to recruit
after all the problems in norman ??

Sooner04
7/21/2010, 11:07 AM
Gibbs beat the cows once or twice, and NEVER beat nebbish or the brokeback buffalos. I was damned excited when we hired Smellsobourbon. Little did I know of what he was about to do.
Gibbs's best team, 1990, beat the hell out of Nebraska in Norman. 45-10, and it wasn't even that close. There are still pieces of Mickey Joseph's quad over on the east sideline.

But you are correct about the Buffaloes. He never beat them. He tied them in 1992 and I'm still not sure how we didn't win that game. A comedy of errors and a knuckle-balled FG at the gun got CU the 24-24 tie.

Gibbs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more than I ever thought possible.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2010, 11:11 AM
A knuckleball FG kicked, IIRC, by their backup punter.

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2010, 11:19 AM
1993 was the year we beat four Texas schools. It was TCU, A&M, the whorns and then the sand aggies in the Sun Bowl. I remember someone was selling t-shirts that said OU - Texas State Champions.

What I really remember from that season was being at the Kansas game, and we only had one loss and were ranked at the time, but there were over 15,000 empty seats at Owen Field. It was like a lot of people had already given up on Gibbs, though it would take the horrendous '94 season to seal the deal.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 12:32 PM
At OU you have to beat Texas AND Nebraska. If you can't do that you're not gonna last.
Of course, that all changes now.:(

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2010, 12:38 PM
We do need a new secondary rival.

Sorry Pokes, but you have to be competitive more than once or twice a decade to qualify.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 12:44 PM
I can't think of anyone worthy. Aggie just got 1st tier money. Maybe it will be them.

7/21/2010, 12:45 PM
Gibbs's best team, 1990, beat the hell out of Nebraska in Norman. 45-10, and it wasn't even that close. There are still pieces of Mickey Joseph's quad over on the east sideline.

Apologies to all. I did not realize he ever beat the nebbs.

KantoSooner
7/21/2010, 05:07 PM
it isn't really a 'rivalry', but I find myself looking forward to a nice mean-spirited game with Missouri these days.

delhalew
7/21/2010, 05:24 PM
it isn't really a 'rivalry', but I find myself looking forward to a nice mean-spirited game with Missouri these days.

That and I'm looking forward to kicking the **** out of sand aggie, who also is not worthy of being called rival.

Jacie
7/21/2010, 06:52 PM
We do need a new secondary rival.

Sorry Pokes, but you have to be competitive more than once or twice a decade to qualify.

So true on both counts.

If a secondary rivalry is called for, it has to be with a conference team, one OU plays every year, that has had more than a minimal measure of success beyond the odd upset vs the Sooners.

That immediately rules out Baylor (0-19), Iowa State (5-67-2), Kansas State (17-70-4), and (sorry little brother) Oklahoma State (16-81-7).

Receiving some consideration are Kansas (27-68-6), Missouri (23-66-6).

However, I think it comes down to A&M (10-18) and Tech (5-12).

Almost a toss-up here. A&M might be the better choice partly for the giggle factor Sooners (and everyone else) gets whenever aggie traditions are highlighted before/during a game and they likely will return to a level where they can compete with OU and sa*et before Tech, which I believe will not be the thorn in OUr side they have been lately now that Leach is gone. If this question gets put to a poll, I vote A&M.

SunnySooner
7/21/2010, 07:58 PM
Oklahoma holds the record for most lopsided instate rivalry with a record of 81-16-7 over Big 12 Conference opponent Oklahoma State. In fact the rivalry is so lopsided that Oklahoma has shut out Oklahoma State more times (28 - not including 0-0 ties) than Oklahoma State has won against Oklahoma.

Greatest line right there

This is why OU fans don't consider the Pukes a "rival". To be a true rival, you actually have to win enough that the other guy is scared you'll beat them, no matter how good/bad the teams are that year. I just never feel those butterflies for little sister like I do for the Evil Empire, even when they suck (well, they always suck...when they suck EXTRA hard, you know what I mean!) and we're worldbeaters.

7/22/2010, 12:43 AM
So true on both counts.

If a secondary rivalry is called for, it has to be with a conference team, one OU plays every year, that has had more than a minimal measure of success beyond the odd upset vs the Sooners.

That immediately rules out Baylor (0-19), Iowa State (5-67-2), Kansas State (17-70-4), and (sorry little brother) Oklahoma State (16-81-7).

Receiving some consideration are Kansas (27-68-6), Missouri (23-66-6).

However, I think it comes down to A&M (10-18) and Tech (5-12).

Almost a toss-up here. A&M might be the better choice partly for the giggle factor Sooners (and everyone else) gets whenever aggie traditions are highlighted before/during a game and they likely will return to a level where they can compete with OU and sa*et before Tech, which I believe will not be the thorn in OUr side they have been lately now that Leach is gone. If this question gets put to a poll, I vote A&M.a clear, logical post...but I say the heck with all those conference nuisances. We don't need a secondary rival. We just need to blow 'em all away, like we're accustomed to doing.

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 09:15 AM

I was at that game - It was fun to watch - We smashed them that game for sure - But it sure helped us when Tommie Frasier got hurt and took out the game when he was tackled on the OU bench.

TexasLidig8r
7/22/2010, 09:26 AM
a clear, logical post...but I say the heck with all those conference nuisances. We don't need a secondary rival. We just need to blow 'em all away, like we're accustomed to doing.

Mr. Rush.. that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out post...

Overruled.

7/22/2010, 12:07 PM
Mr. Rush.. that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out post...

Overruled.We are accustomed to cows' refs. Now, we have to put up with a cow judge?

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 12:44 PM
I can see that side of it, too. The Nebraska rivalry came about because in the mid to late-60s, another team finally started challenging the Sooners for the conference title on a regular basis. If we never develop another rivalry because we simply kick the snot out of everyone else in the conference every year, I can live with that.

TexasLidig8r
7/22/2010, 12:54 PM
We are accustomed to cows' refs. Now, we have to put up with a cow judge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1QpyGa61zs

Not yet.!

delhalew
7/22/2010, 02:40 PM
I can see that side of it, too. The Nebraska rivalry came about because in the mid to late-60s, another team finally started challenging the Sooners for the conference title on a regular basis. If we never develop another rivalry because we simply kick the snot out of everyone else in the conference every year, I can live with that.

Yep. That's why a rival can't be designated. They have to develope naturally.

IronHorseSooner
7/22/2010, 03:44 PM
Whereas I can't stand Tubberville and the clowns at Tech, I would have to say A&M. As stated above, they are 10-18 against us, and the games in 2000, 2004, and 2006 could have went either way. They are scary, in more ways than one, down there in College Station, including this year. Also, if there is some sort of conference realignment in the future, they are likely to be there with us, whether it be the PAC-10/12, or it is the SEC again. We wouldn't have to start all over with another rivalry. In fact, after the Corey Nelson recruiting situation, A&M considers us "a new rival," just go look at the recruiting threads from this past February.

7/22/2010, 05:02 PM
Whereas I can't stand Tubberville and the clowns at Tech, I would have to say A&M. As stated above, they are 10-18 against us, and the games in 2000, 2004, and 2006 could have went either way. They are scary, in more ways than one, down there in College Station, including this year. Also, if there is some sort of conference realignment in the future, they are likely to be there with us, whether it be the PAC-10/12, or it is the SEC again. We wouldn't have to start all over with another rivalry. In fact, after the Corey Nelson recruiting situation, A&M considers us "a new rival," just go look at the recruiting threads from this past February.Don't we already have enough aggy, nipping at our ankles, like chihuahuas. I say "no thank you" to accepting collie-aggy as an official rival.

Salt City Sooner
7/22/2010, 11:39 PM
If you're talking about a secondary rivalry RIGHT NOW with the choices being A&M & Tech, I don't see how the choice can be anything but Tech. It's taken some unusual circumstances to say the least, but OU has lost the last 3 times they've traveled to Lubbock (not to mention in addition to Stoops first year back in '99), while, although there have been some excellent games between the 2, fact is that Stoops is 10-1 vs. the Aggies. As much as we like to bag on the lopsided-ness of the OSU series, they've beaten OU more than A&M has during Bob's time in Norman.