PDA

View Full Version : The Stache

w0lfe
7/19/2010, 03:51 PM
So do you think Landry should make another run at styling the stash this season? I say go for it.

badger
7/19/2010, 04:05 PM
He should do something different, like an epic hippie beard or a goatee. Whitney could braid it or dye it crimson.

TahoeSOONER
7/19/2010, 04:19 PM
I say go stache for the season.

It'll look real good with the golden hat!

Cmon Football season already!

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2010, 04:23 PM
I think he should sport the Kyle Orton neck-beard....

oudavid1
7/19/2010, 04:30 PM
How about some handlebars

http://rosemaryrowe.typepad.com/liesthatbind/images/stache.jpg

goingoneight
7/19/2010, 06:02 PM
OR... he could try out...

"The Aggie"

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/untitled-2.jpg

swardboy
7/20/2010, 08:02 AM
That 'stache last year was NOT one of his best statistics....

goingoneight
7/20/2010, 08:20 AM
6 TDs against TU, 4 against KSU and 5 versus A&M with the Stache says otherwise.

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 08:44 AM
I think it was a cool iconic trend that gave our fans something to hone in on during the season. So, i'm all for it. Hell, I will wear one every game day if he decides to do it. Unfortunately I did it last year.

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 08:44 AM
How about some handlebars

http://rosemaryrowe.typepad.com/liesthatbind/images/stache.jpg

David, is that you?

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the handlebars would be classic lol. He should just one-up the previous years stash every season.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 09:29 AM
6 TDs against TU, 4 against KSU and 5 versus A&M with the Stache says otherwise.
And how was he away from Norman when he faced a little bit of adversity?

boomermagic
7/20/2010, 09:45 AM
I don't care as long as he plays well...

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 09:47 AM
David, is that you?

LMAO! I was thinkin' the same thing! ...On another note, I'm a big fan of the stache and I hope he brings it back!

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 09:51 AM
And how was he away from Norman when he faced a little bit of adversity?

I think he did as good as expected from a RS Fresh QB being thrown into the mix. There was a lot of adversity that the team went through. Now, if he comes in this season and stinks it up, well, I will totally understand if you want to talk him down. But, until then lets give this kid some respect for winning the starting position at QB for the University of Oklahoma. That in its self is a hard task to obtain.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 09:53 AM
I think he did as good as expected from a RS Fresh QB being thrown into the mix.
I prefer the results of Bradford, Thompson and Holieway when speaking of freshman QBs thrown into the fire.

I want Landry to succeed, but does anybody besides me feel that the kid is popular not because of his ability but because of the face salad he put under his nose last season?

Shakadoodoo
7/20/2010, 09:58 AM
As long as he is running the offence correctly and throwing touchdowns - I wouldn't care of he had a stache like Hitler.

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 10:17 AM
I prefer the results of Bradford, Thompson and Holieway when speaking of freshman QBs thrown into the fire.

I want Landry to succeed, but does anybody besides me feel that the kid is popular not because of his ability but because of the face salad he put under his nose last season?

Well, all of those guys are legends of this program. To think that you will have a player like them year in and year out is a bit ludicrous. The coaches have to work with what talent we currently have at our disposal. It just so happens that LJ is the best QB we have at this time. If Allen was better than LJ last year he would have been on the field starting with BYU. Say the two are equal heading into the beginning of this season the nod obviously would go to LJ because of his in game experience. I totally know what you getting at. We just can't expect to have a player like Bradford join the team every year.

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 10:19 AM
Would be nice though. Maybe it will take Jones a little longer to hit his stride. Hopefully its this year.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 10:30 AM
It just so happens that LJ is the best QB we have at this time. If Allen was better than LJ last year he would have been on the field starting with BYU.
This isn't always the case. If Rhett Bomar hadn't been a colossal idiot Sam Bradford would've never seen the field.

Heck, we've got Bradford on campus in 2006 and we give the snaps back to Paul Thompson after Bomar goes all dumbass on us? C'mon!

goingoneight
7/20/2010, 10:47 AM

The road game thing haunted Sam his first year, too. Remember Colorado and Iowa State? Still, apples to oranges... the 2007 team with Joey Halzle at QB is better than the 2009 team would be.

Remember before Sam and Colt McCoy shredded a bunch of weak defenses their respective freshman seasons, 26 TDs was a DAMN good season for a freshman. Hell, we've had seniors put up comparable numbers to LJ. Best case scenario, we have him for 3 more years to grow. I'm not going out and saying he's Sam or JW yet, but there is great potential with him. Potential and far better surrounding cast situations in store.

Shakadoodoo
7/20/2010, 10:54 AM
The two Oklahoma QB's out of Broken Arrow and Moore may give LJ a run for his money next year - competition is a good thing!!!

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 10:55 AM
The road game thing haunted Sam his first year, too. Remember Colorado and Iowa State? Still, apples to oranges... the 2007 team with Joey Halzle at QB is better than the 2009 team would be.
I don't remember Sam being that bad up in Boulder. I certainly don't remember him throwing five picks. I do remember Reggie Smith......

I was in Ames for the '07 game and it wasn't pretty. I do remember Allen Patrick putting the ball on the turf....

TahoeSOONER
7/20/2010, 10:58 AM
I don't remember Sam being that bad up in Boulder. I certainly don't remember him throwing five picks. I do remember Reggie Smith......

I was in Ames for the '07 game and it wasn't pretty. I do remember Allen Patrick putting the ball on the turf....

I think the combination of little to no running game and a skeleton crew for a offensive line didn't help Landry yet the boy put up some numbers.

Healthy big boys upfront, better WR core and a running game and Landry could do major damage while limiting turnovers.

badger
7/20/2010, 11:25 AM
Poor Reggie (http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/77109854.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57D0959461EE127C684 554353919DC6531013F10AF4B8936EE7). He took that loss harder than anyone. Without it, we'd be in the title game :(

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 11:29 AM
The two Oklahoma QB's out of Broken Arrow and Moore may give LJ a run for his money next year - competition is a good thing!!!

Not a chance

OUTrumpet
7/20/2010, 11:32 AM

Bradford's road stats from his freshman year:

Loss to Colorado where we couldn't get any passing game going (8 / 19 for 112, 1 td 2 ints)

Heavy struggle to Iowa State where the passing game was non-existant (16 / 28 for 168, 1 int)

Loss to Texas Tech (not really his fault as he didn't know where he was)

Also had the Texas game and the Big 12 championship away from Norman.

Bradford's success his freshman year was at home.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 11:52 AM
I just can't blame the Colorado loss on Bradford. When you're up 24-7 you've done something right as the leader of the offense.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/20/2010, 12:02 PM
I dont much remember trying to ever establish a passing game against colorado

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 12:11 PM
Poor Reggie (http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/77109854.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57D0959461EE127C684 554353919DC6531013F10AF4B8936EE7). He took that loss harder than anyone. Without it, we'd be in the title game :(
he was a small part of a team loss. plenty of people fouled that game up.

rawlingsHOH
7/20/2010, 12:12 PM
didn't throw a ball in malcolm kelly's direction the entire game

goingoneight
7/20/2010, 12:45 PM
I know Landry had more than a rough night in Lincoln, but I doubt Sam played a D as good as that one in 2007, too. And I also know that a lot of Landry's picks last year were bobbled/tipped/deflected passes. Things that can easily be fixed.
Another thing worth mentioning is nobody shut down OUr running game in 2007 like everyone did in 2009. You see, play-action doesn't fool anybody at some point in time.

Sooner04
7/20/2010, 01:23 PM
You see, play-action doesn't fool anybody at some point in time.
That's true. Defenses have a little more respect for a kid who completed 20-something straight passes against Miami as opposed to a kid who becomes a turnover machine away from Norman.

JRAM
7/20/2010, 01:31 PM
WTF, OUr football team and fans are getting ready for a great football season where each of us need to be focused, especially the student athletes. AND, all you kids want to discuss is "the stache"! C'mon, grow up and laser in on what is important; the season. Whatever Jones does with his facial hair is inconsequential. I think that he should be clean shaven and represent the university with class, unlike what you idgets are projecting. Regardless, lets punctuate and focus in on winning, not some childish fascination with Jones facial deformity.

w0lfe
7/20/2010, 01:58 PM
WTF, OUr football team and fans are getting ready for a great football season where each of us need to be focused, especially the student athletes. AND, all you kids want to discuss is "the stache"! C'mon, grow up and laser in on what is important; the season. Whatever Jones does with his facial hair is inconsequential. I think that he should be clean shaven and represent the university with class, unlike what you idgets are projecting. Regardless, lets punctuate and focus in on winning, not some childish fascination with Jones facial deformity.

Dude its the offseason. Get used to it? Anything that you can think of about the season coming up has probably already been discussed. It's not like Stoops has opened up the door for every one to see

stoops the eternal pimp
7/20/2010, 02:14 PM

Yeah, because if the fans aren't focused when season rolls around, it could result in some upsets and another subpar season

freshchris05
7/20/2010, 02:15 PM
:pop: :D

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 03:20 PM
Galdammit! Fan's can't be talking about frivolous crap on the innerweebs! They need to be in the weight room or breaking down game film! How else will the team win????!?!?!

prrriiide
7/20/2010, 04:23 PM

SERIOUSLY???

OK. Thompson and Holieway had SUPERIOR teams around them. But comparing them to LJ with the modern passing game is comparing apples to flank steaks. Yeah, they could throw the ball, but if they tried to do what LJ did last season with the team LJ had it would have been an EPIC catastrophe. 7-5 would have been the over/under range for ints per game instead of the final record. Just as if you put LJ into the '87 offense you'd see a team that resembled a 2-9 Navy team.

Bradford had a great frosh season. He also had a really good team around him. The fact that the OL managed to keep him upright and in the pocket on most plays helped a LOT. SB with last year's line was a disaster. Even if he'd stayed healthy, his production from 2008 to 2009 would have plummeted. No knock on Sam, that's just reality. Now you're comparing apples to oranges.

But even though Sam had the advantage of a better team in general and far better OL and WRs in particular, LJ still managed to set the freshman passing record.

Instead of admitting that last year's OU team was not a stereotypical stomp-your-face-into-the-curb OU team and giving credit where it is due, you make LJ the scapegoat for what was a bad TEAM performance. He had his bad moments (Nebbish), but not as NEARLY many as a lot of other guys. His mistakes are just out there in front of God and everyone. LJ is going to be a great QB for OU. I have no doubt that he's going to get invited to NY at some point in his time at OU.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2010, 04:52 PM

LMAO! You don't know much about football do ya???

oudavid1
7/20/2010, 05:08 PM
David, is that you?

nahh thats some picture i found.

KantoSooner
7/21/2010, 10:07 AM
A Sam Elliot soup strainer.

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 09:04 AM
LMAO! You don't know much about football do ya???

I guess you can say that - I wrestled at OU - I did not play football - But I do know that some athletes make very good transitions from High school to college and there would be no reason to assume that the two kids will not - LJ did a good job for us last year but he damn sure was no super all star or a future Franchise Player. He looked better in the last game and I hope the progress continues. I have also seen other quarterbacks committed to coming to OU and I hope all of them as well as the QB's already there give LJ a run for his money - Like I said - Competition is a good thing.

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 09:11 AM
Well, in another thread we have been hyping Heupel for his football knowledge and wanting to put him in KW position. Lets see what he has done with LJ over the spring and summer. Having LJ setting in the drivers seat and getting full snaps this whole time I can see him making big strides.

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 09:14 AM
What I'm wondering is how long Jones' leash is this year. Last year he was the backup, and everybody knows that everybody loves the backup ("Fletch Lives" anyone?). So, now that he's the man, I'm curious to see what it takes to get people off the bandwagon.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/22/2010, 09:28 AM
Landry will be good, if not great this year. Considering all that happened last year with the O-Line and injuries and just being thrown in the mix, he actually did a very good job. He had a few flaws with locking on to his receiver and things like that, but alot of young QB's do that. We have got to remember he was still just a freshman. We can't all be Sam Bradford ya know? Our receivers will also be alot better. He's had more preparation and he's got a full year under his belt. Not to mention he'll be entering his 3rd year with the program. Stache or not, Landry will do very well and take us very far....

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 09:33 AM
Promise land?

Shakadoodoo
7/22/2010, 09:49 AM
Landry will be good, if not great this year. Considering all that happened last year with the O-Line and injuries and just being thrown in the mix, he actually did a very good job. He had a few flaws with locking on to his receiver and things like that, but alot of young QB's do that. We have got to remember he was still just a freshman. We can't all be Sam Bradford ya know? Our receivers will also be alot better. He's had more preparation and he's got a full year under his belt. Not to mention he'll be entering his 3rd year with the program. Stache or not, Landry will do very well and take us very far....

I can dig it! I hope you are right!

Mississippi Sooner
7/22/2010, 10:06 AM
Following a legend is never easy. You rarely get Steve Young coming in right after Joe Montana.

I think if Landry can just be a competent game manager (assuming that the o-line will stay healthy), everything else will happen as it should.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/22/2010, 10:15 AM
Promise land?

We beat Texas and avoid any kind of meltdown I don't see why not. Just take care of business and we will play for it all...

w0lfe
7/22/2010, 12:49 PM
I agree. We have a tough schedule, and i think our slip up may be at a&m. I think the others we will take care of business. Take us on the trip landry

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 12:55 PM
This year could bring back "BIG GAME BOB"!

w0lfe
7/22/2010, 03:51 PM
If we go into the a&m game undefeated, and then win there. Ill give him the name back. Until then, i hold it sacred

rawlingsHOH
7/22/2010, 04:51 PM
What I'm wondering is how long Jones' leash is this year. Last year he was the backup, and everybody knows that everybody loves the backup ("Fletch Lives" anyone?). So, now that he's the man, I'm curious to see what it takes to get people off the bandwagon.

i think you've been asleep a long time.

soonerborn30
7/22/2010, 05:13 PM
Say what? If he wasn't the backup to start the year who was?

yankee
7/22/2010, 05:17 PM
I think if Landry can just be a competent game manager (assuming that the o-line will stay healthy), everything else will happen as it should.

i think everyone has higher expectations for LJ than to just be a competent game manager, especially in this offense. he wasn't asked to be a game manager last year, so this season will be no different. i think he's going to do great things for this program.

AZSOONER
7/22/2010, 06:49 PM
no

gaylordfan1
7/22/2010, 09:46 PM
No?

AZSOONER
7/23/2010, 01:54 PM
No?

Question:
So do you think Landry should make another run at styling the stash this season?

Answer:
No.

rawlingsHOH
7/23/2010, 02:24 PM
Say what? If he wasn't the backup to start the year who was?

he started 10 games, so i'd hardly say that is applicable in your reference to the fans always loving the #2 QB.

just remember, more TDs and less INTs than Heupel had in his Heisman runner-up season.

Sooner04
7/23/2010, 03:06 PM
he started 10 games, so i'd hardly say that is applicable in your reference to the fans always loving the #2 QB.

just remember, more TDs and less INTs than Heupel had in his Heisman runner-up season.
And a whole lot more losses too. :)

gaylordfan1
7/23/2010, 03:10 PM
Question:
So do you think Landry should make another run at styling the stash this season?

Answer:
No.

Ok. I now understand. :D

To be honest, I don't think he even had a "Stache" during the BYU game.... The game that started all this. Looked like he went the week without shaving. With his chin strap on it appeared to be a stache. But it wasn't. The announcer made a comment and it stuck! I don't remember if he ended up shaving and leaving just the stache in later games. But, I liked the buzz it got and seeing all the students (and some older Sooner Fans) sporting a stache on game days!

soonerborn30
7/23/2010, 04:23 PM

Right, for all intents and purposes he was the starter for most of the year. But there was still a "backup" mentality towards him. For the first few games anyway because we knew Sam would be back. Of course, after the RRSO we knew he was the guy, but I still think most people thought of him as the backup. He wasn't "the man", he didn't win the starting job, he got it because of injury and so forth. Plus, the excuses people use for him are indicative of things you'd say about a backup: "he's only a frosh" "he was thrown into a bad situation" etc. That's what I meant by backup; the mentality of the fans. And I was curious as to what it would take for fans by and large to turn on him.