PDA

View Full Version : Broken toe remedies

colleyvillesooner
7/19/2010, 01:38 PM
Yesterday my ankle gave out and in catching my balance I kicked our stone ht tub ledge full force. Little toe is now swollen, black and blue. Really hurts to put full pressure on it.

I've always heard there isn't much you can do for a broken toe. I've been icing it down and keeping it elevated, but do not want to get a X-ray for them to say "yeah it's broken. Tape it to the next toe" and collect their movie check.

TIA

MR2-Sooner86
7/19/2010, 01:44 PM
You can always cut it off if it's bothering you too much.

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2010, 01:46 PM
Time.

Leroy Lizard
7/19/2010, 01:47 PM
Yesterday my ankle gave out and in catching my balance I kicked our stone ht tub ledge full force. Little toe is now swollen, black and blue. Really hurts to put full pressure on it.

TIA

I broke all of my toes when I was younger when a log fell on them during tree surgery. The doc soaked them for an eternity in ice water, taped them up, and sent me on my way.

GKeeper316
7/19/2010, 01:49 PM
ya there's not much else you can do for a broken toe other than what you're doing now... it would be a good idea to go in and have them x-ray it to see the extent of the break and whether or not the bone needs to be reset.

Curly Bill
7/19/2010, 01:58 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

Okla-homey
7/19/2010, 03:02 PM
WALK IT OFF! P*SSY!;)

stoops the eternal pimp
7/19/2010, 03:07 PM
amputate it, put it on a necklace or something, and make up a better story about how it happened

royalfan5
7/19/2010, 04:39 PM
I broke mine when it got stepped on by a bred heifer. I just let it be. It's a little misshapen now but otherwise fine.

proud gonzo
7/20/2010, 01:30 AM
broke mine the night before flying to NJ for Christmas last year. I almost cried it hurt so much putting my shoes on and walking in the airport the next morning. Toe turned all purple.

Nothing you can do to fix it. My toe still hurts sometimes, even after 8 months.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2010, 08:55 AM
i like the idea about making a necklace lol

picasso
7/20/2010, 09:02 AM
I broke my big toe on my jumping leg in high school basketball and had no choice but to play the rest of the season rather than rest it.
To this day I cannot bend it.

hellogoodbye
7/20/2010, 09:25 AM
broke mine the night before flying to NJ for Christmas last year. I almost cried it hurt so much putting my shoes on and walking in the airport the next morning. Toe turned all purple.

Nothing you can do to fix it. My toe still hurts sometimes, even after 8 months.

That, plus enjoy those cold winters for the rest of your life... :mad:

batonrougesooner
7/20/2010, 10:11 AM
Unless it's grossly deformed there's really no need for an xray. Even then it has limited value. If it's pointing off at an odd angle it could need reduction which would essentially be the doc, or yourself if you're so brave, pulling on it to get it back in line. Otherwise you were right on target. Buddy tape to the other toe, rest, ice, elevation and watch where you are walking next time. :)

I saw a lady a few months ago who no sh** called EMSA at 2 am for the exact same thing. I just kinda looked at her funny...

Disclaimer for the lawyer types...

(not intended to serve as actual medical advice or as a substitute for medical evaluation. For informational purposes only. If you feel you have an emergency you should call 911 or present to the nearest ER.)
:D

bent rider
7/20/2010, 11:41 AM
amputate it, put it on a necklace or something, and make up a better story about how it happened

+1
Also paint the toenail green.
If you need a new one, I can get you a toe by 3pm!

OUthunder
7/20/2010, 12:42 PM
Ice the hell out of it and keep it elevated. I broke mine in high school in the 4th quarter of a football game. It hurt during the game but when I got home, it looked like an elephant had stepped on it. Very painful injury.

I recommend open toed shoes for a few weeks.

Dio
7/20/2010, 01:00 PM

"They're nihilists, Donnie..."

C&CDean
7/20/2010, 02:03 PM
What's all this "ice and elevation" crap?

Anyhow, here's one of my broke toes stories:

When I was in the Army at Ft. Bragg, NC, they decided to be nice to us and build some new barracks (we were in the old WWII wooden bay barracks at the time). The new barracks were 2-to a room deals that were 3 stories tall. We used to climb up a ladder on the third floor that led to the roof at night to.........you know, stargaze? This ladder ended about 4-feet from the floor where you were supposed to have a step ladder or something to climb it. Like that's gonna keep a couple serious star gazers from going up there.

Anyhow, one night I'm up there seriously gazing at the stars, and it starts raining. I was barefooted with only boxers on. I come down the ladder, and when I get to the bottom rung I jump, but I keep ahold of the ladder rung when I do. My wet feet hit highly polished tile floor, and with me kind of pulling myself towards the wall, both feet shot straight into the cinder block wall. All the toes on one foot, and 3 on the other shattered. Of course the dude coming down behind me jumps and lands right on my foot that had 3 toes all ****ed up. I squealed like a little bitch. No shame in my game. That **** ****ing hurt now.

Next morning off to sick bay, but not before falling out with uniform, boots, etc. No fun. I ended up getting a profile for 2-weeks to wear shower shoes and no PT. And everyone is right, the doc goes "ain't nothing we can do it about." But at least I didn't put ice on them and elevate them cause that'd be gay.

olevetonahill
7/20/2010, 02:11 PM
I garendayuntee you will only STUB it once :eek:

soonerbrat
7/20/2010, 03:06 PM
you were "stargazing" with a guy on the roof and you think icing and elevating is gay?

C&CDean
7/20/2010, 03:09 PM
you were "stargazing" with a guy on the roof and you think icing and elevating is gay?

yeah? What's your point? We weren't boffing, we were getting small. Yo.

Mjcpr
7/20/2010, 03:12 PM
http://static.open.salon.com/files/canteen_boy1243479572.jpg