PDA

View Full Version : Florida's Pouncey in hot water....

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 12:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159

Allegations that an agent might have paid him $100,000 between the SEC CCG and the Sugar Bowl last season. So - if this is true - is this a bigger or smaller deal than Reggie Bush? Monetary value is lower, but even Reggie Bush wasn't dumb enough to accept a direct payment from an agent.

goingoneight
7/19/2010, 12:37 PM
USC was multiple accounts of illegal benefits and failure to cooperate.

If it's true, Tim Tebow should be forced to forfeit his SEC CCG Trophy, his Heisman Trophy and his crystal football from the 2009 season! :D

j/k Teboo...

I guess this kinda shoots the argument that this only goes on at OU dead, doesn't it (cough! Texas fans! cough! OSU fans!)?

Leroy Lizard
7/19/2010, 12:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159

Allegations that an agent might have paid him $100,000 between the SEC CCG and the Sugar Bowl last season. So - if this is true - is this a bigger or smaller deal than Reggie Bush? Monetary value is lower, but even Reggie Bush wasn't dumb enough to accept a direct payment from an agent.

It depends on how Florida reacts. Do they fully cooperate, paying full respect to the NCAA's need to ensure the integrity of the sport?

Or do they act like USC, thinking they are above the law and can't be touched?

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 12:52 PM
Article says it was UF that reported this to law enforcement and the NCAA when they became aware of the allegations in June. I'm fully aware that the situation for Florida isn't as bad as it is for USC. I was just asking on a purely Pouncey vs. Reggie Bush comparison - which of the two do you think committed the more serious infraction? Letting an agent put your family in a $400K house for free, or taking a $100K payment directly from an agent?

sooner518
7/19/2010, 01:04 PM
I think REggie's deal is more serious and he is a bigger idiot because he hid it alot longer (ie over an entire season) whereas Pouncey is still an idiot, but an impatient idiot becuase he took the money probably a month too early.

Leroy Lizard
7/19/2010, 01:13 PM
Article says it was UF that reported this to law enforcement and the NCAA when they became aware of the allegations in June. I'm fully aware that the situation for Florida isn't as bad as it is for USC. I was just asking on a purely Pouncey vs. Reggie Bush comparison - which of the two do you think committed the more serious infraction? Letting an agent put your family in a $400K house for free, or taking a $100K payment directly from an agent?

With Reggie, it wasn't just the house. He received improper benefits all over the place. Even worse, there is evidence that he actually had his hand out asking for benefits.

Leroy Lizard
7/19/2010, 01:14 PM
Article says it was UF that reported this to law enforcement and the NCAA when they became aware of the allegations in June.

Then they shouldn't receive severe sanctions. If anything, they should be commended for taking proper action.

You listening, SC?

goingoneight
7/19/2010, 01:24 PM
Here's what kills me about this article versus the trash written about OU in light of the Bomar fiasco. That article mentions investigations ongoing at South Carolina and North Carolina. As if to say "well... but you know... this is pretty common/it goes on everywhere."

No shat, Sherlock! Would have been nice of you media types to mention that when you were shatting on OU's program circa 2006, don'tcha think? But no... every article and it's (fake) "sources" had something bad to say about OU, Stoops, Castiglione and about a hundred other people who they didn't know from Adam to be doing the right thing or not.

FTR, my Tebow joke was just that... a joke. I'm still of the opinion that if one player is a jackazz, you don't punish the hundreds of Bradfords, Manny Johnsons, Jermaine Greshams, Gerald McCoys, Josh Heupels and such for the one or two Bomars. No matter what high horse fan may claim, they're all still 17-23 year old college kids.

Sooner-N-KS
7/19/2010, 01:30 PM
They will get in some trouble, but it probably won't add up to lack of control. Plus he would have only been ineligible for one game.

If Florida cooperates they should get off easy. Maybe lose a scholarship or two for a few years.

Shakadoodoo
7/20/2010, 08:01 AM
It seems to really be dumb on Pouncey's part - especially since 3 months later he would be making millions!

gaylordfan1
7/20/2010, 08:47 AM
I was wondering why his brother didn't go last year.... You would think that if one went they both would have gone.

sooner_born_1960
7/20/2010, 08:51 AM
How is Pouncey in hot water?

Obviously the thread title is misleading. Pouncey isn't in any trouble at all. Florida is the one that will suffer because of his actions.

This brings us to a question for the legal types. Do the actions of student/athletes who violate NCAA rules present any type of tort? Could a universities recover monetary damages from these individuals?

sooner_born_1960
7/20/2010, 09:00 AM
And, by individuals, I mean both the player and the agent. Both knew, or should have known their actions would cause damage to the university.