PDA

View Full Version : Bag of water keeping flies away...really.

Lott's Bandana
7/18/2010, 06:39 PM
Ok, so on the 4th of July, I'm at a friend's house and she has a big clear ziploc storage bag full of water nailed over the door from her patio into her house.

WTF?

Explanation: Keeps flies away.

Orilly?

Since I have had a dozen flies in my house every day since it got hot, from letting my dog in and out, I thought I'd try it...why not? I got a gallon ziploc freezer bag and filled it about 2/3rds up with H2O. Nailed it to the soffet.

ISYN...only 1 fly in my house in the last 9 days.

I've done nothing else different.

:confused:

Leroy Lizard
7/18/2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, so on the 4th of July, I'm at a friend's house and she has a big clear ziploc storage bag full of water nailed over the door from her patio into her house.

WTF?

Explanation: Keeps flies away.

Orilly?

Since I have had a dozen flies in my house every day since it got hot, from letting my dog in and out, I thought I'd try it...why not? I got a gallon ziploc freezer bag and filled it about 2/3rds up with H2O. Nailed it to the soffet.

ISYN...only 1 fly in my house in the last 9 days.

I've done nothing else different.

:confused:

For more discussion:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/water-bags-repel-flies.htm/printable

delhalew
7/18/2010, 09:29 PM
I've seen this work. It's not a sure thing, but it seems to help.

the_ouskull
7/18/2010, 10:02 PM
F*ckin' bags filled with water nailed over the door. How do they work?

the_ouskull

yermom
7/18/2010, 10:05 PM
they are like anti-magnets for flies :D

sooner ngintunr
7/18/2010, 10:17 PM
****s with their vision

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2010, 10:24 PM
Beer ****s with my vision, but doesn't seem to scare me off from cookouts.

sooner ngintunr
7/18/2010, 10:33 PM
Beer ****s with my vision, but doesn't seem to scare me off from cookouts.

It might hinder your ability to attend one though. (you know, if you had wings, bug eyes and ****)

sooner ngintunr
7/18/2010, 10:35 PM
They do it at the Creek County landfill. It must work.

CrimsonJim
7/18/2010, 10:37 PM
We put two such bags with a penny inside (one on each end) of our patio last summer when we found a wasps nest in the corner. After destroying the nest, no other wasps have been seen in our back yard since.

SoonerStormchaser
7/18/2010, 11:32 PM
A bag of burgers might keep the illegals away...no illegals= no burritos!

Curly Bill
7/18/2010, 11:38 PM
Too many peeps start putting water bags above their doors, Ima break out the pellet gun. :D

SoonerStormchaser
7/18/2010, 11:39 PM
I'll put urine in mine just for you Bill...stand underneath it and shoot upwards...

Curly Bill
7/18/2010, 11:40 PM
I'll put urine in mine just for you Bill...stand underneath it and shoot upwards...

:D

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 12:08 AM
Hmmm. If that works on mud dobbers I might put a bag over my back patio door. Seems like one finds its way in here about once a week or so.

Side note: if you have a gnat problem, put out a bowl with about 1/2" of balsamic vinegar and one drop of dishwashing soap. Works great.

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2010, 12:10 AM
Update: Rudy's BBQ on Hwy 9 has bags of water all around their patio. I don't know about their fly population, but now I am noticing these things.

I stood under my bag of water this evening and saw many flies buzzing around in the yard, but nary a one came anywhere near me.

Either I don't stink much or the bag works.

Craziest thing.

Howzit
7/19/2010, 10:44 AM
I've used this for years, and it does work. I've also seen a penny dropped into the bag. Not sure what that does, but Hacienda Ranch here in the DFW area hangs the bags with a penny around the periphery of the deck outside.

Breadburner
7/19/2010, 10:49 AM
Lets hang one in the south oval and see if it keeps those flies from Cali out of here.....

achiro
7/19/2010, 10:54 AM
So the bags that you fill with water that attracts flies to trap them? and yes I realize there is an attractant you put in the water for the traps but if the water bag keeps them away...this is really screwing with my mind. :D

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 11:52 AM
I've used this for years, and it does work. I've also seen a penny dropped into the bag. Not sure what that does, but Hacienda Ranch here in the DFW area hangs the bags with a penny around the periphery of the deck outside.

That place is flippin' awesome.

Howzit
7/19/2010, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah, we ate there when you were headed to a job interview, huh?

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 12:05 PM
Indeed. I've been there a few other times, too. :)

OhU1
7/19/2010, 12:36 PM
Hummm, sounds like an old wives tale to me - kind of like the "power balance bracelet" thing. I'd like to see some experiments testing this claim. At least I'm not hearing yet that anyone is selling these shoo fly kits. So it's just a baggie with some water and a penny thrown in. Cheap to try at least.

Howzit
7/19/2010, 01:14 PM
I've tested it.

Pass.

Jacie
7/19/2010, 05:39 PM
I've tested it.

Pass.

Perhaps you used a penny with the wrong date on it. The composition has changed a number of times as U.S. Mint replaced some of the copper with zinc . . .

AlbqSooner
7/19/2010, 07:50 PM
They do it at the Creek County landfill. It must work.

Now THAT is an endorsement.:D

fadada1
7/19/2010, 07:55 PM
it's like passover for flies.

CrimsonJim
7/19/2010, 10:27 PM
I've tested it.

Pass.

Perhaps you used a penny with the wrong date on it. The composition has changed a number of times as U.S. Mint replaced some of the copper with zinc . . .

I thought that meant he gave it a passing grade. :confused:

proud gonzo
7/20/2010, 01:40 AM
Hmmm. If that works on mud dobbers I might put a bag over my back patio door. Seems like one finds its way in here about once a week or so.

Side note: if you have a gnat problem, put out a bowl with about 1/2" of balsamic vinegar and one drop of dishwashing soap. Works great.

too bad you didn't think of that BEFORE you bombed the house :P

unbiasedtruth
7/20/2010, 02:54 AM
it works, I saw it at "the shack" -- a great little New Mexican eatery between Azle and Weatherford on FM730 out side their front door. 3 gallon size ziplocks hung with apenny in each.... no flies around around the door.

so I went home and hung one by my back door because of the fly problem with my dogs.... cant clean fast enough and now there are no flies around th eback door waiting ot come in the house

Jello Biafra
7/20/2010, 08:51 AM
from what i was told....(the dude was a little off and had very few teeth if any so, im not sure) the reason it works is because the flies see it as spider webs and stay away at all costs. with the fly life span, im not sure i trust it. its not like they can pass it down to generations sitting around the camp fire talking about the time they escaped the web o'disaster.

OhU1
7/20/2010, 09:18 AM
Ya know this would be a good project for the ag school up the road to work on. #1 is there a measurable effect and if so what is the magnitude? #2 what is the effective range, what size baggie to use, how many pennies should I thrown in the baggie?

I'm tired of flies slipping sips out of my beer mug when I'm at the pool. Maybe I can fill a baggie with Bud Light. That would deter me.

Howzit
7/20/2010, 09:51 AM
from what i was told....(the dude was a little off and had very few teeth if any so, im not sure) the reason it works is because the flies see it as spider webs and stay away at all costs. with the fly life span, im not sure i trust it. its not like they can pass it down to generations sitting around the camp fire talking about the time they escaped the web o'disaster.

The water refracts light passing through it and messes with their vision.

The penny works because they hate Abraham Lincoln in a Sic'em-esque fashion.

Turd_Ferguson
7/20/2010, 10:03 AM
Met an old man one time that had cd disc hanging from his soffit. He said it deterred fly's because they're reflection made them think it was a wasp they were seeing.

Howzit
7/20/2010, 10:06 AM
Or a UFO. Everyone knows flies are alienphobic.

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2010, 12:59 PM
Hang a Nickelback CD on your soffit and I'm staying the **** away.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2010, 01:05 PM
too bad you didn't think of that BEFORE you bombed the house :P

Nah, pre-bombing the house was a cloud of the little bastards. The bombing stopped them from laying even MORE eggs. Now I'm just cleaning up the ones that were eggs when I bombed the house. (From what I've read of their life cycle I should have maybe another week to go from the little turds.)

Howzit
7/20/2010, 02:00 PM
You could have loosed a gaggle of Scissor Tail Fly Catchers.

Crucifax Autumn
7/20/2010, 02:17 PM
Hang a Nickelback CD on your soffit and I'm staying the **** away.

Smartest post of the thread.