PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Granville Liggins?

Flagstaffsooner
7/18/2010, 03:51 PM
http://newsok.com/catching-up-former-ou-standout-granville-liggins-loves-canada-still-a-sooner-at-heart/article/3477320?custom_click=lead_story_title

SoonerLB
7/18/2010, 03:57 PM
I remember him (I'm old too, lol), nice to hear about him and what he is up to.

Flagstaffsooner
7/18/2010, 04:12 PM
Yup, we old.
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/aa-granville-liggins-1966-67.html

swardboy
7/18/2010, 06:41 PM
I DO believe Granville could find a nice job back in Oklahoma, don't you?

MichiganSooner
7/18/2010, 07:20 PM
Never heard of Granville but a nice story. He played for OU when I was in high school winning the michigan state championship-not me but our football team.

owenfieldreams
7/18/2010, 08:33 PM
Affectionately known as the "chocolate cheetah", Liggins was an undersized nose guard who made up for his size with incredible quickness.

When ND came to Norman in 1966 with what many called the greatest college football team ever, Liggins singlehandedly kept OU in the game through the middle of the 2nd qtr., when ND deliberately ran a play to injure him. He left the game and the ***-kicking commenced.

huskerland
7/18/2010, 08:40 PM
Yup, I'm a husker and how could I forget him? It seems that all I ever heard was " Tackle made by Grandville Liggens"! As a husker fan I was glad to see him go. Yes, I was glad he' left but, Lig was one of the great ones! Yup, I'm old too! Memories, memories!

Monster Zero
7/18/2010, 09:28 PM
I remember the 1968 (?) Orange Bowl against Tennessee. UT had an All-American Center, an All-American looking white guy with blond hair named Bob Johnson, I think.

The matchup between him and Granville was hyped before the game, but Granville whupped Bob Johnson's butt all night and spent a lot of time playing in the UT backfield. Finally, at least so I heard, Tennessee took him out with a chop block.

We won the game anyway. Glad to hear that Granville has lived well. Like someone said, he shouldn't have trouble finding a way to live happily ever after in Oklahoma if need be.

Eddie Hinton played on that team too, with Steve Owens and Ron Shotts.

Gee... I'm old.

unbiasedtruth
7/18/2010, 11:37 PM
yes I spent many a Saturday afternoon on the sw ramp of Owen field yelling chinstrap to Granville. Never did get his, but I do have Eddie Hinton's gameday chinstrap and he autographed it for me too.

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2010, 12:18 AM
I remember the 1968 (?) Orange Bowl against Tennessee. UT had an All-American Center, an All-American looking white guy with blond hair named Bob Johnson, I think.

The matchup between him and Granville was hyped before the game, but Granville kicked Bob Johnson's butt all night and spent a lot of time playing in the UT backfield. Finally, at least so I heard, Tennessee took him out with a chop block.

We won the game anyway. Glad to hear that Granville has lived well. Like someone said, he shouldn't have trouble finding a way to live happily ever after in Oklahoma if need be.

Gee... I'm old.

Granny Liggins was the first OU player I took note of by name because I didn't get why a football player would be called Granny.

Hinton was the first receiver I pretended to be in the back yard, and I when I was 8, I went to the Ron Shotts Football Camp at OU twice. Steve Zabel, Steve Owens, Bobby Warmack, Jack Mildren, Ed Mendenhall...all these guys "coached" us. I distinctly remember The Doors' "Light My Fire", playing over and over on the jukebox in the dining facility every evening and being fed handfuls of salt pills every morning before practice.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/19/2010, 01:51 AM
Granny was our Big 8 Hwt wrestling champ, too. I saw him beat Ted Tuinstra from Iowa St. in the finals of the Big 8 tourney at the old Field house, in March 1967. Ted Tuinstra was HUGE-prolly 400lbs. As the third period wore down, and Liggins had the lead, the whole field house was SHAKING, with everyone yelling "GO GRANNY, GO!" at the top of their lungs...doesn't really seem that long ago...YIKES!

"Running down the old ramp at Owen Field ("chills run down my spine"). Being carried off the mat after upsetting mammoth Iowa State heavyweight Ted Tuinstra in the 1967 Big Eight wrestling finals..."

Sooner04
7/19/2010, 09:54 AM
Never heard of Granville but a nice story.
How is that possible?

MichiganSooner
7/19/2010, 10:11 AM
How is that possible?

Back then, the only Sooners I had heard of was Coach Bud who was on TV for the game of the week. Sorry Sooner04, but I was kid growing up on the other side of the country.

MichiganSooner
7/19/2010, 10:12 AM
How is that possible?

Sooner04, did you see him play?

MichiganSooner
7/19/2010, 10:15 AM
How is that possible?

Back in those days, there was one tv game of the week; maybe 2. Radio from Oklahoma did not reach the Great Lakes.

Sooner04
7/19/2010, 10:17 AM
Granny Liggins quit playing for OU 15 years before I was born. But he's a legend around here. I've been hearing stories about him for a long time.

soonerspudman
7/19/2010, 10:39 AM
Granville was the first OU player I was old enough to know of, in grade school when we'd play kill the queer (yea, I know, not politically correct) whoever had the ball would say they were Granville, not that he was a running back, just we all thought of him as the bad ***.

Running down the old ramp at Owen Field

Shame when they re-built the south endzone they did away with using the ramp, it was so totally cool when the entire team collected there and ran out, maybe someday they'll figure out how to bring it back.

MichiganSooner
7/19/2010, 01:29 PM
Granny Liggins quit playing for OU 15 years before I was born. But he's a legend around here. I've been hearing stories about him for a long time.

Off the top of my head, Steve Owens was probably the first Sooner I knew about.

AlbqSooner
7/19/2010, 07:38 PM

The matchup between him and Granville was hyped before the game, but Granville kicked Bob Johnson's butt all night and spent a lot of time playing in the UT backfield. Finally, at least so I heard, Tennessee took him out with a chop block.

Gee... I'm old.

The pre-game hype on the Liggins/Johnson matchup was huge. Story I was told is that when Tennessee took the ball to start play, the came to the line with their first play from scrimmage. Johnson took the ball, looked up and saw Liggins just inches from his face. Johnson said, 'Hello Granville." Liggins said nothing. At the snap, Liggins rolled Johnson back with a forearm as he himself rolled around to his left. Johnson ran into the QB and went down about the same time Liggins tackled the ball carrier for a loss.

Liggins then turned around, helped Johnson to his feet and said, "Oh, hello Bob. I didn't see you there.":D

Jacie
7/19/2010, 07:50 PM
That Orange Bowl was the second time I remember watching the Sooners on television (the OU/sa*et game that same season was the first) and hearing Liggins name called throughout the game is my most vivid memory of it besides the final score being close.

owenfieldreams
7/19/2010, 08:01 PM
I do not remember whether Liggins was taken out by the Vols but in 1966, vs what many considered at the time the greatest college football team ever assembled, an undermanned OU squad stayed even with Notre Dame on the back of Granny (also known affectionately as the "chocolate Cheetah") through most of the first half.

But after having play after play disrupted by Liggins, they set him up with a chop block off a trap play and from that point on, the Irish rolled to a lopsided 38-6 victory. Liggins left the field in a scoreless tie, never to return to the game.

birddog
7/20/2010, 07:44 AM

you hear a name like that and it'll stick. coolest name ever.

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2010, 09:09 AM
Didn't he used to play with Paul Crewe?

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/12/11/92/12119214_tml.jpg

OU69BeaufortCounty
7/22/2010, 03:26 PM
I was also there at that 68 Big 8 Conference Wresting Championship in the old fieldhouse.

When Granville and the huge Tuinstra started the first period, Tuinstra slapped Granville hard in the ear. Granville returned the slap faster and harder with a whack to the ear that staggered Tuinstra and could be heard in the fieldhouse balcony. The crowd went crazy.

Blues1
7/22/2010, 08:50 PM
The First OU Player I remember seeing in action was Billy Vessels - OU vs ND 1952 - or was it 53..? - Anyway that was the "First TV National Broadcast of a College Football Game" we lost 27 to 21 as I remember the score - OU in their all white uniforms - So of course I remember Granville and that Orange Bowl Victory over Tennesse - The point of this post - Glad to know I can still Remember ~~~ :)

sooneron
7/22/2010, 09:23 PM
Didn't he used to play with Paul Crewe?

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/12/11/92/12119214_tml.jpg

Why? Is he a member of the Book'em Horns crewe?

TexasLidig8r
7/23/2010, 08:04 AM
Why? Is he a member of the Book'em Horns crewe?

sigh...

the original Longest Yard

Burt Reynolds as Paul Crewe (the first, "Wrecking Crewe")

Eddie Arnold as the Warden.

Dude's name on screen was Granville

:rolleyes:

Jdog
7/24/2010, 11:42 PM

Gee... I'm old.

As I recall OU was kicking Tennessee's butt until Granny was injured. Vols then were able to turn it around with a big comeback to make it a very close game.