PDA

View Full Version : Torrance Marshall update

OK2U
7/17/2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.fanfeedr.com/ncaa-football/2010/07/17/ex-ou-linebacker-torrance-marshall-becoming-a-firefighter

Ex-OU linebacker Torrance Marshall becoming a firefighter
Torrance Marshall added fuel to the fire when he told Florida State quarterback Chris Weinke that Weinke stole his boy's trophy before the 2001 Orange Bowl.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ex-ou-linebacker-torrance-marshall-becoming-a-firefighter/article/3477322?custom_click=rss#ixzz0u08mM0yO

Weinke won the Heisman Trophy while Oklahoma quarterback Josh Heupel finished second.

When the teams met, Marshall and the rest of the defense punctuated a magical year with a performance for the ages in a 13-2 victory to earn the national championship.

"It was a big part of my life," Marshall said about his time at OU. "I'll never forget it. It was fun, a lot of fun.

"We had a (Heisman) watch party and thought Josh was going to win. He was our leader, and that's what being a Heiman winner is all about. I meant what I said. I was crazy back then."

These days Marshall is more concerned with putting out fires than starting any. Marshall is in the process of becoming a firefighter in Tampa.

He said he started thinking about it two or three years ago, and that it was inspired by the feeling of wanting to help people.

After a four-year career with the Green Bay Packers and time in the Arena Football League, the 33-year-old Marshall has found happiness with his girlfriend and their son, who was born in January.

"It's going alright," Marshall said. "There are a lot of nights without much sleep, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world."

Read more: http://newsok.com/ex-ou-linebacker-torrance-marshall-becoming-a-firefighter/article/3477322?custom_click=rss#ixzz0u08iOfnM

soonerspudman
7/18/2010, 12:01 AM
Good to know this, Torrance was a beast who made a lot of key plays at the right times.

ndpruitt03
7/18/2010, 12:42 AM
Hopefully his son will play for Head Coach Josh Heupel in 2027 or 2028 or so.

mehip
7/18/2010, 07:54 AM
Do we have anybody on the field this season with that kind of near-psychotic intensity? Loved watching Torrence play.

OK2U
7/18/2010, 08:46 AM
Do we have anybody on the field this season with that kind of near-psychotic intensity? Loved watching Torrence play.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Travis-Lewis-Captain-Trash-Talk-195897
Not exactly psychotic, but intense nonetheless.

picasso
7/18/2010, 09:11 AM
I spoke with him on the phone back in the spring of '06 about a certain painting I had done. He was really cool and we talked OU football for at least 10 minutes.

Good for him on his new career.

IronHorseSooner
7/18/2010, 09:40 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Travis-Lewis-Captain-Trash-Talk-195897
Not exactly psychotic, but intense nonetheless.

The entire starting LB corps is intense. See my sig.:D

soonerinabilene
7/18/2010, 10:35 AM
the fact that torrence,rocky , and teddy are not pro bowl linebackers still baffles me.

Collier11
7/18/2010, 01:28 PM
Injuries for Calmus and Lehman, Torrance seemed to struggle with the playbook

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/18/2010, 07:12 PM
He still has the single most important play in OU football under Bob Stoops, the int at Texas A&M.

ndpruitt03
7/18/2010, 07:15 PM
He still has the single most important play in OU football under Bob Stoops, the int at Texas A&M.

Derrick Strait's deflection against OSU.

MI Sooner
7/18/2010, 10:10 PM
Teddy and Rocky had injury problems, but I don't think they were setting the word on fire when they were healthy either. I didn't follow Calmus that closely, but I'm a Lions fan and Lehman was, at best, a marginal starter when healthy.

Collier11
7/18/2010, 10:16 PM
Lehman had a really good rookie year but never could stay healthy after that

ndpruitt03
7/18/2010, 10:35 PM
Didn't Marshall have off the field issues that led to his release?

Leroy Lizard
7/18/2010, 11:50 PM
Didn't Marshall have off the field issues that led to his release?

Drugs.

rawlingsHOH
7/19/2010, 01:57 PM
Teddy and Rocky had injury problems, but I don't think they were setting the word on fire when they were healthy either. I didn't follow Calmus that closely, but I'm a Lions fan and Lehman was, at best, a marginal starter when healthy.

he was one of the best rookies in the league in 2004. lead team in tackles, etc. then he got hurt.

rawlingsHOH
7/19/2010, 01:57 PM
Torrance seemed to struggle with the playbook

this

OUMallen
7/19/2010, 02:11 PM

SoCaliSooner
4/23/2011, 08:57 PM
Anybody know if he made it on their department?

OK2U
4/23/2011, 09:34 PM
Good question. I'll look into it!

picasso
4/23/2011, 09:39 PM

Awesome play but we score if he doesn't.

SapulpaSooner
4/23/2011, 10:53 PM

Good to hear that is trying to be a fireman. he put out the A&M fire ;)
I will never forget that. what a play. here is the video
http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/videos/thepick.mpg

Salt City Sooner
4/24/2011, 01:03 AM
Strait's PBU in Stilly >>> Marshall's INT ( & I don't mean that as a belittlement on Torrance's play, it was a great one as well).TM's play came w/ 7 1/2 minutes to go, so while it was starting to get late, it wasn't quite do or die at that time yet. Secondly, as Picasso insinuated, the OU offense was hot at that point, having scored the last 3 times they had the ball. In Stillwater, not only did Strait's play occur considerably later (just over 3 minutes to go in the game), but the OU O was flat out dead in the water. They had that great 99 yard drive to open the game, but they then proceeded to lay a big egg the rest of the day. That opening drive represented almost a third of their total yardage for the entire game.

SoonerNate
4/24/2011, 02:07 AM
Anybody know if he made it on their department?

Which department? I'm assuming he's back in Miami correct? The article is archived as I never saw the original post last year.

cleller
4/24/2011, 08:55 AM
I pity the fire that gets in his way.

Sooner_Tuf
4/24/2011, 09:25 AM
Which department? I'm assuming he's back in Miami correct? The article is archived as I never saw the original post last year.

Last September he was living in Tampa Bay and taking classes to be a firefighter. So I would guess Tampa Bay but I have no idea.

King Crimson
4/24/2011, 01:56 PM
i remember picasso's Torrance painting. frickin a. long time...

SoCaliSooner
4/25/2011, 02:12 AM
Last September he was living in Tampa Bay and taking classes to be a firefighter. So I would guess Tampa Bay but I have no idea.

I can do some back channel checks to see if he made it, but had not seen anything since July/August of last year.

SOONERnTx
8/23/2011, 11:43 AM
http://youtu.be/-WLLHunussE

Memories!

Tear Down This Wall
8/23/2011, 12:15 PM

I agree with what you are saying right now about Torrance Marshall making the single most important play in OU football under Bob Stoops with the int at Texas A&M. We needed to win that game and he, Torrance Marshall, stepped up and did what he had to do.

I can't imagine Torrance watching Boise State hook-and-lateral us on the last play of the game in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl and being too happy about it. You've got to keep your head in it for 60 minutes of every game.

That's what the 2000 squad with players like Torrance Marshall that Stoops' bowl losing squads. They had a killer instinct and a nose for the big play. I like the way this year shapes up for us, but I still don't see anyone on the defense with the stature of a Calmus or Marshall. Travis Lewis comes close, but he's out half the year.