PDA

View Full Version : Great Scotch Whisky

delhalew
7/17/2010, 08:14 PM
I'm watching a fascinating documentary called Great Scotch Whisky. It is having the effect of making me want to run off to Scotland and also to sit here and get hammered.
It started with a good rundown of Scottish history and has moved on to discuss the distilleries of each region. My ancestry is heavily Scottish and I am very much wanting to go travel through the regions tasting every bottle I can get my hands on.

I know this is a heavily discussed topic, but I am learning a great deal. For instance, that they used gunpowder to test the shots as they progressed. In an effort to avoid death or at least a bad time.

delhalew
7/17/2010, 08:22 PM
Even the repairing of the whisky casks is fascinating.

delhalew
7/17/2010, 08:30 PM
Dean, have you tried Glenfarclas? It's a highland from Spayside, apparently quite strong.

olevetonahill
7/17/2010, 10:03 PM
It is having the effect of making me want to run off to Scotland and also to sit here and get hammered.

I can do that with out leaving Merica ;)

delhalew
7/17/2010, 11:42 PM
Scotland is beautiful and...Scottish.

olevetonahill
7/17/2010, 11:45 PM
I can do that with out leaving Merica ;)

Scotland is beautiful and...Scottish.

I can get durnk and see Scotland with out ever leavin home ;)
Thank ya Innerweb .:D

Leroy Lizard
7/17/2010, 11:51 PM
(deleted)

OUthunder
7/18/2010, 12:21 AM
Golf at St Andrews, Scotland and drink Scotch...now that's what I call good darned time.

Lott's Bandana
7/18/2010, 01:37 AM
I love Scotch, but Speyside batches have taken some getting used to...first impression was like licking a rose garden, for peat's sake.

delhalew
7/18/2010, 10:58 AM
I've always stuck to the "greens", but I am looking forward to some Islays and other more fiery whiskies.

texaspokieokie
7/18/2010, 11:49 AM
i like scotch,but my taste is such that i don't need any expensive stuff.

J & B is fine.

delhalew
7/18/2010, 12:00 PM
i like scotch,but my taste is such that i don't need any expensive stuff.

J & B is fine.

That is a blend, but yes, it's very good.

texaspokieokie
7/18/2010, 12:09 PM
see, i'm so dumb i didn't even know that.

i like canadian whiskey also, like CC. that's also a blend, isn't it ??

actually i'm so old i don't drink much anymore.

GottaHavePride
7/18/2010, 12:13 PM
I've always thought the Speysides were some of the smoother Scotches out there - great for scotch noobs.

Islays, on the other hand, kick you in the face. In a good way.

delhalew
7/18/2010, 12:36 PM
see, i'm so dumb i didn't even know that.

i like canadian whiskey also, like CC. that's also a blend, isn't it ??

actually i'm so old i don't drink much anymore.

Well, I just watched a doc on Scotch. That's why I can act like I know what I'm talking about.

delhalew
7/18/2010, 12:38 PM
I've always thought the Speysides were some of the smoother Scotches out there - great for scotch noobs.

Islays, on the other hand, kick you in the face. In a good way.

This is correct. The makers of this doc , however, made sure to point out there are exceptions to this rule. For instance, the Glenfarclas I mentioned earlier is a Speyside and is quite strong.

Crucifax Autumn
7/18/2010, 01:36 PM
Cheaper = Drunker

GottaHavePride
7/18/2010, 03:11 PM
If I'm drinking scotch I'm sure as hell not drinking cheap, ****ty scotch. And I'm also not drinking it to get drunk.

delhalew
7/18/2010, 05:20 PM
If I'm drinking scotch I'm sure as hell not drinking cheap, ****ty scotch. And I'm also not drinking it to get drunk.

Well you're going to be, unless you're better at cutting youself off than I am.

GKeeper316
7/18/2010, 05:28 PM
you cant go wrong with glenmarangie.

Lott's Bandana
7/18/2010, 05:29 PM
I love Scotch, but Islay batches have taken some getting used to...first impression was like licking a rose garden, for peat's sake.

GHP is right, I got that backwards. I tend to love anything with a "Glen" in the title.

OUthunder
7/19/2010, 01:22 AM
Had a few glasses of some Ardbeg 6 year at a party house yesterday and this was some smooth stuff. Never saw it before in a store, of course I'd never heard of it really before last night. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, especially with a quality cigar.

Collier11
7/19/2010, 01:26 AM
OK, OK, OK...I will admit that ive never had Scotch although ive always wanted to, when I drink liquor it is typically Rum or Crown, sometimes some Jack. If'n I was going to try Scotch for the 1st time, what would you all suggest I buy? How do you drink it?

Curly Bill
7/19/2010, 01:28 AM
I want to like it, but I just can't get too much into it.

I bought some Glenlivet 12 here while back and found it pretty good, that is until I set it on my fridge and a 2/3 full bottle fell off and shattered. :(

OUthunder
7/19/2010, 01:33 AM
OK, OK, OK...I will admit that ive never had Scotch although ive always wanted to, when I drink liquor it is typically Rum or Crown, sometimes some Jack. If'n I was going to try Scotch for the 1st time, what would you all suggest I buy? How do you drink it?

Start with some Laphroaig and take it from there. I have to be in a certain mood to drink Scotch, it really is an acquired taste IMHO. I usually drink it on the rocks, 2-3 cubes of ice tops. If smoking a cigar, I'll drink it straight up. If you drink the stuff fast, you'll get ****ed up before you know it, lol.

Collier11
7/19/2010, 01:38 AM
Im a beer drinker typically but ive been wanting to try the stuff, and I cant drink liquor without a little touch of ice in it, Sorry Dean-O, so ill give your suggestion a shot

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2010, 07:34 AM
I had a glass of Irish the other night with Dean. Mine had ice. I'm still here.

delhalew
7/19/2010, 10:34 AM
It's definately a sip and savor type of thing. I prefer my whisky on the rocks, but with Scotch I either go neat or VERY lite on the ice. It just seams a shame to dilute the flavor.

olevetonahill
7/19/2010, 10:51 AM
Yup its an acquired taste, sip it neat or like has been said very little ice;)

delhalew
7/19/2010, 10:57 AM
Another thing you could do Collier, would be to work your pallete in that direction. Start with some Irish whiskey. Jameson or Bushmills for example. Then on to some blends like J and B or Johnny Walker. If you can dig that stuff, you're ready for Scotch.

GottaHavePride
7/19/2010, 11:59 AM
Another way in is start with a nice bourbon. Good bourbon is usually pretty smooth and a little sweet - almost vanilla. Something like a Wellers / Knob Creek / Elijah Craig / Basil Hayden / Makers.

Good scotches to start with: Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, Balvenie 12, Laphroiag...

And yeah, the first time you try it you might want to put a fair bit of ice in the glass. Once you get used to it you can cut down the amount of ice. If I've warmed up with a couple of other drinks I'll take scotch neat, but if it's my first drink of the day I use a little ice.

delhalew
7/19/2010, 12:12 PM
Macallan 12 was my first experience with Scotch. At the time I stuck mainly to bourbon and some Canadian blends. I had started to build a love for Irish whiskey. The Macallan didn't scare me off at all. It encouraged me to try all the "Glens" I could find.

pilobolus
7/22/2010, 01:16 PM
I would recommend The Macallan, because that is what Neil Peart drinks.

bent rider
7/22/2010, 01:33 PM
GHP is right, I got that backwards. I tend to love anything with a "Glen" in the title.

You must have loved Glen Campbell, then.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 01:34 PM
You must have loved Glen Campbell, then.

Actually, when I was six I tried to comb my hair like him, with that flip in the front. Can't do that now. sigh

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 01:35 PM
I would recommend The Macallan, because that is what Neil Peart drinks.

That's actually as good a recommendation as any!

C&CDean
7/22/2010, 02:06 PM
I had a glass of Irish the other night with Dean. Mine had ice. I'm still here.

Indeed you are laddy, saints be praised. Boot mine was a fair shake better I'm a-thinkin.

I'll drink scotch if someone is buying, but I ain't spending my own money on it. I've tried a lot of it, and it's OK (sometimes - other times it tastes like ***), but Irish is just more consistent/smooth for my delicate palate.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 02:15 PM
Well, the idea is that the Irish invented the stuff and the scottish perfected it.
Either way, its hard to go wrong.

C&CDean
7/22/2010, 02:21 PM
And be it Scotch/Irish/Bourbon/Canadian the way it is meant to be enjoyed is neat. Water in whisky is like wearing a rubber.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2010, 02:35 PM
And be it Scotch/Irish/Bourbon/Canadian the way it is meant to be enjoyed is neat. Water in whisky is like wearing a rubber.

We continue to have this tennis match:

From Malts.com (echoed on the Glenmorangie website, but I can't cut and paste from their Flash)

Adding water to any single malt changes the composition of the spirit and unlocks more flavours and aromas.
Ideally, the water added would be the same as that used by the distillery to make the whisky. But that’s not easy to do, especially if you enjoy your single malt outside of Scotland. The best bet is to add still Scottish spring water, or soft tap water without too many added chemicals. The key is to add a little water at a time, taking it slowly until you find the balance to suit your tastes.

Sometimes rubbers are appropriate. Since you have mama, I'll raise my whisky glass in recognizing you have no use for them. :P

C&CDean
7/22/2010, 02:39 PM
Adding water damn sure does change the composition and flavor. It makes it taste like watered-down whisky. Like when we used to steal whisky from the neighbor's dads bar. We'd drink some and add water to the bottle so he wouldn't notice.

I do usually chase my whisky with a sip of ice water though. Maybe I'm "unlocking the flavour and aroma" or maybe I'm just trying to stay hydrated.

delhalew
7/22/2010, 02:47 PM
Am I neurotic if I chase bourbons, blends, and Irish with beer, but chase my scotch with water?

C&CDean
7/22/2010, 02:58 PM
Neurotic? No. Weird? Yeah.