PDA

View Full Version : Meat Candy

Preservation Parcels
7/17/2010, 11:25 AM
Cooking for a party today. Here's something that might best be described as "meat candy." Line a jelly roll baking pan (cookie sheet with sides) with foil. Put a box of brown sugar in a large bowl and mix in a couple of tablespoon of freshly cracked black pepper. Cut a pound of sliced bacon into thirds so that each slice is in three pieces. Separate the slices into the brown sugar mixture and coat well. Wrap each piece of sugared bacon around a smoky link sausage and place on the lined baking sheet. Cover with any remaining brown sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for up to an hour or until the bacon is crisp. For a low-cholesterol version, bake on a broiling pan so that all the juice drips away.

GottaHavePride
7/17/2010, 11:56 AM
The one I've heard is just doing the bacon by itself with brown sugar and cayenne pepper.

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2010, 11:57 AM
For a low-cholesterol version

Lulz

Okla-homey
7/17/2010, 12:36 PM
Cooking for a party today. Here's something that might best be described as "meat candy." Line a jelly roll baking pan (cookie sheet with sides) with foil. Put a box of brown sugar in a large bowl and mix in a couple of tablespoon of freshly cracked black pepper. Cut a pound of sliced bacon into thirds so that each slice is in three pieces. Separate the slices into the brown sugar mixture and coat well. Wrap each piece of sugared bacon around a smoky link sausage and place on the lined baking sheet. Cover with any remaining brown sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for up to an hour or until the bacon is crisp. For a low-cholesterol version, bake on a broiling pan so that all the juice drips away.

Sounds tasty. But I think someone needs to develop and patent a chocolate coating with a sufficiently high melting point to remain solid on hot bacon strips. That person will become wealthy beyond her wildest dreams.;)

Preservation Parcels
7/17/2010, 12:52 PM
I'll just put this on here because I'm already wealthy beyond my wildest dreams in what really matters. I just found out that my son and his wife are expecting at least one little one next February.

Chocolate Ganache Fondue

9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)

Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired. Place in a fondue pot and dip in pieces of cooked bacon or any of the other more traditional stuff.

This is adapted from Allrecipes.com, but I'm not adding the nutrition information because if you're already eating chocolate dipped bacon, nutrition statistics are just silly.

GottaHavePride
7/17/2010, 02:29 PM
I'd rather have chicken fried bacon than chocolate dipped bacon.