PDA

View Full Version : "worked your way through college"

bent rider
7/16/2010, 05:04 PM
If a young political candidate in their online bio states that they worked their way through college (OU), would you naturally assume they paid all or most of their tuition, fees, books, and maybe even their own room and board? If you then found out there was good reason to believe they probably didn't, would you say they were being dishonest, and maybe they should have said they held down a part time job while they were going to OU? How well are OU football equipment managers paid, anyway?

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2010, 05:06 PM
I would assume said candidate worked while he was going to college and that the proceeds from the job went towards paying for school, not that he paid for the whole thing himself.

Otherwise he'd write "put myself through college."

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 05:09 PM
If a young political candidate in their online bio states that they worked their way through college (OU), would you naturally assume they paid all or most of their tuition, fees, books, and maybe even their own room and board? If you then found out there was good reason to believe they probably didn't, would you say they were being dishonest, and maybe they should have said they held down a part time job while they were going to OU? How well are OU football equipment managers paid, anyway?

I think it's an empty statement that has lost meaning for the most part. And I wouldn't be persuaded to vote for or against a candidate simply because they paid their own way through college. Who cares?

bent rider
7/16/2010, 05:19 PM
I think it's an empty statement that has lost meaning for the most part. And I wouldn't be persuaded to vote for or against a candidate simply because they paid their own way through college. Who cares?

They are so young there is nothing else to go on. Which speaks for itself, I suppose.

I guess as one who actually worked through college and covered most expenses by working multiple jobs, grants scholarships and loans it sticks in my craw when someone from a wealthy background puts something like that in their bio.

CaliBornSoonerBred
7/16/2010, 05:28 PM
I can say if you insinuate that you worked through school to pay for it, you should be held as a liar if comes out you just worked while going to school.

It's one of my greatest points of pride for myself to say that I worked my arse off to pay for ALL of my school, rent, truck payment, bills, etc without any help. Anyone who loosely says something to that effect and didn't do it all the way.......they hack me off to no end because I know how hard I worked to accomplish it all.

badger
7/16/2010, 05:30 PM
You're talking about that chick trying to replace Bill Nations, aren't you?

(I am very in tune with Oklahoma politics)

bent rider
7/16/2010, 05:47 PM
You're talking about that chick trying to replace Bill Nations, aren't you?

(I am very in tune with Oklahoma politics)

bingo!
I didn't want to name the person right off, but that is her, running to represent OU's district in the Oklahoma House.
People who just graduated for college sometimes run for office just for the experience, or for town council in the sticks, but I think she is being set up by her wealthy and established political family.

Since you're very in tune, do you expect that she will survive the primary?

KABOOKIE
7/16/2010, 05:58 PM
What if I worked my *** off prior to going to college and used that money and investments to pay all of my college or took loans but, my parents gave me some nice "lunch money" payments periodically?

And by nice lunch money payments I mean about $100 a month while in school and maybe a laptop.

picasso
7/16/2010, 06:03 PM
This brings to mind the self made man. There is no such thing.

What if you drank your way through college?

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 06:58 PM
This must be some secret election. Not only will no one provide her name, but we haven't even been given a link to her online bio.

OUHOMER
7/16/2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.emilyvirgin.com/

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 07:39 PM
She's cute.

Uh-oh, I think I just sunk her chances.

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2010, 07:40 PM
Huh. I agree.

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 07:46 PM
Since I found out she is a Democrat, let me say that for her to claim that she worked herself through college without having done so is an abomination.

OUHOMER
7/16/2010, 07:54 PM
She is a virgin too !

badger
7/16/2010, 08:08 PM
bingo!
I didn't want to name the person right off, but that is her, running to represent OU's district in the Oklahoma House.
People who just graduated for college sometimes run for office just for the experience, or for town council in the sticks, but I think she is being set up by her wealthy and established political family.

Since you're very in tune, do you expect that she will survive the primary?

She isn't the only OU student running... another named Isaiah McCasland (http://oudaily.com/news/2010/jan/21/two-more-ou-students-enter-district-44-race/) is. However, a city councilman, Tom Kovach (http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/content/profile-tom-kovach), is also a Democratic candidate. There are four total, the fourth being a bare bones candidate named Robert Murphy (http://murphy444.org/)

What I think will hinder a student's campaign, as opposed to a non-student's campaign in Norman is relying on the OU community too much. You all remember some unsuccessful candidate named Kannady, I'm sure, if you've spent any time in Norman. :D

Students do not vote in droves like older, hardcore registered voters do. Students don't show up to weekly party events (Norman Democrats have a weekly Cornbread and Beans lunch on Fridays I think), students will likely just pound doors and hang signs in as many places as possible.

Signs and door visits are fine, but neither vote.

Thus, unless the council dude does or says something that angers his constituents, look for him to take the nominee.

(and I say this without really paying close attention to the election and not having been in Norman since Red/White gameday... boo rain)

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2010, 08:20 PM
Since I found out she is a Democrat, let me say that for her to claim that she worked herself through college without having done so is an abomination.

There you go developing a sense of humor. Kudos.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/16/2010, 10:15 PM
Friends of Emily Virgin live on Peters.

Rimshot as you will.

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 10:22 PM
For her to grow up with the last name of Virgin would be like a boy growing up with the last name "Toughman." Everyone would want a piece of him.

Viking Kitten
7/16/2010, 10:55 PM
When it comes to standing firm for your constituents, there's no one like Harry Johnson (http://www.harryjohnsonforcongress.com) though.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/16/2010, 11:00 PM
He maintains a stiff upper lip as he leans on his rock hard resolve.

You'll have no boners from Harry Johnson. He'll stand erect in the face of adversity.

Penis.

bent rider
7/17/2010, 09:40 AM
Friends of Emily Virgin live on Peters.

Rimshot as you will.

However, she owns a home on Frost Lane.

bent rider
7/17/2010, 09:48 AM
She isn't the only OU student running... another named Isaiah McCasland (http://oudaily.com/news/2010/jan/21/two-more-ou-students-enter-district-44-race/) is. However, a city councilman, Tom Kovach (http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/content/profile-tom-kovach), is also a Democratic candidate. There are four total, the fourth being a bare bones candidate named Robert Murphy (http://murphy444.org/)

What I think will hinder a student's campaign, as opposed to a non-student's campaign in Norman is relying on the OU community too much. You all remember some unsuccessful candidate named Kannady, I'm sure, if you've spent any time in Norman. :D

Students do not vote in droves like older, hardcore registered voters do. Students don't show up to weekly party events (Norman Democrats have a weekly Cornbread and Beans lunch on Fridays I think), students will likely just pound doors and hang signs in as many places as possible.

She doesn't really need students. She has money. Money from "herself", her father, and his fellow lawyers in Norman. Money that pays for advertising and a political consultant.

Leroy Lizard
7/17/2010, 11:24 AM
He maintains a stiff upper lip as he leans on his rock hard resolve.

I think I'm going to be sick.

badger
7/17/2010, 11:48 AM
She doesn't really need students. She has money. Money from "herself", her father, and his fellow lawyers in Norman. Money that pays for advertising and a political consultant.

Norman folk don't seem to like candidates with money... incumbents with money, at least. This can also be a problem, when candidates rely too much on spending money... getting yard signs out, putting advertising in the paper, in the mail or worse, television. When a candidate is on television, they think they're in the big time, even if the ads make them look silly. What's even sillier is when they put their advertising on Adult Swim through local cable and other channels that prospective voters don't watch.

Dio
7/17/2010, 12:42 PM
Your mom goes to college

SoonerStormchaser
7/17/2010, 02:37 PM
It's better than that Scott Stiles running against Wallace Collins two years ago...he touted his military service, but forgot to mention that when facing a deployment to the desert, he refused on conscientious objector status. Oh...and he was a military COP! That'd be the equivalent of me being a bombardier, but not wanting to press the pickle button.

That ****er showed up at my house twice begging for our votes...too bad it was only my wife at home...if he shows up again, he's getting a full-on officer *** chewing. Needless to say my wife and I didn't vote for him in '08...we just left that section of the ballot blank cause we sure as hell weren't voting for (and never will vote for) Collins.

badger
7/17/2010, 04:09 PM
If I could offer any advice to candidates, it would sound dumb, but it seems to be the advice that nobody gives -

You find people that you know would die before missing election day and gain their support. Then, you convince them to talk to all their other religious voter friends. Then, you not only have supporters, you have guaranteed votes.

This is why signs, television ads (actually, most advertising, like mailers and billboards), door knockings, etc. generally do not work - it's because none of those things physically go out and cast a vote!

If the candidate doesn't personally have supporters like this or have family or friends who know people like this, that's when you go to community events, parades, local party luncheons, town hall meetings, etc. Hardcore voters will be the only ones that stop at your booths... unless you're giving away fans on a 100-degree day. :D

This advice is especially important this election year, because it's a midterm midtacular. Only the hardcore never-miss-election-day voters will turn out.

Leroy Lizard
7/17/2010, 04:32 PM
My advice to campaigners: Don't act like you need the job that badly. Yes, it pays well and it's all powerful and everything, but if you are so desperate for the job that you are willing to attack, lie, cheat, and steal, then don't come knocking on my door.

Unless you're a Republican. If so, I'm voting for you anyway.

BTW, this is my biggest problem with Hillary. She wants the job too badly. It is only a small exaggeration to say that she would assassinate her opponent if she could get away with it.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/17/2010, 04:34 PM
I'm voting for the guy (or gal) that makes the bitchin-est meatloaf.

Now make me a meatloaf and buy my vote.

Leroy Lizard
7/17/2010, 04:38 PM
I'm voting for the guy (or gal) that makes the bitchin-est meatloaf.

Now make me a meatloaf and buy my vote.

Why? That store-bought meatloaf is the bestest.

Jacie
7/17/2010, 04:41 PM
Unless a kid has a job making $40k/year, it is not possible to make that statement today, nor has it been so for this decade and longer.

It was possible to do so in the 70's, at least up to 1975. Most that I knew then were not on student loans, going on a combination of money they earned, money from their parents and whatever scholarships and work study they could finangle.

badger
7/17/2010, 07:34 PM
btw, an honest question:

Term limits have been around since 2004, if I'm not mistaken. That was the big exodus year, when all the long timers were ousted, with more getting kicked out of the state Senate and state House ever since, including the one that Ms. Virgin looks to replace.

Since we no longer have lifelong politicians in office in Oklahoma, why don't we have 6-point beer yet?

Viking Kitten
7/17/2010, 07:56 PM
Because the liquor lobby and the Baptists have formed an unholy alliance to prevent it.

Viking Kitten
7/17/2010, 08:02 PM
Oh and from what I understand, the beer distributors prefer the status quo as well because it is more profitable for them. FWIW, there is only one candidate for governor who is making an issue out it and it is Roger Jackson, a Republican, who probably doesn't stand a chance. He argues the state is screwing itself out of a revenue stream with these antiquated laws, and he is right.

Leroy Lizard
7/17/2010, 08:04 PM
I fully support keeping that evil high-alcoholic content beer out of Oklahoma liquor stores!

Of course, I live in Arizona.

And right now I am opening a high-alcoholic content beer, and boy it sure is good! Suffer, *******s!