PDA

View Full Version : If Oklahoma is Preseason AP #1.....

SteelClip49
7/16/2010, 10:00 AM
it will be their 10th honor and will lead the nation in most Preseason top ranking honors. OU is currently tied with Notre Dame at 9.

Other OU Preseason #1 starts.....

1956- National Champions
1957- finished #4
1974- National Champions
1975- National Champions
1977- finished #7
1985- National Champions
1986- finished #3
1987- finished #3
2003- finished #3

Just for giggles....TEXAS only has 1 preseason AP #1 start (1946).

texaspokieokie
7/16/2010, 10:12 AM
i thot OU was in 55. well, they obviously should've been.

texaspokieokie
7/16/2010, 10:14 AM
seriously, even with my crimson colored glasses, i don't see how OU could be pre season #1. not this year.

SteelClip49
7/16/2010, 10:21 AM
I agree. I like the target because we are OKLAHOMA and great programs do succeed but I'd rather be 10-15, a little higher than what we started at in 2000. We shall see though.

As far as 1955....considering OU was undefeated in 1954, UCLA started out as the the Preseason AP #1 in 1955.

MeMyself&Me
7/16/2010, 10:23 AM
I bet we get to 10 before ND does. :)

Mississippi Sooner
7/16/2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, as crazy as it sounds now, OU didn't reach the number one position until the 8th week of the season in 1955. They then lost the number one spot two different times during the 1956 season. And THEN, they were ranked second when the streak finally came to an end in 1957. In spite of losing to the domers by a score of just 7-0, they tumbled down to the sixth spot, and only made it back up to number four after winning the rest of their games that year.

Polls are stupid.

Sooner04
7/16/2010, 10:36 AM
What in the world have we done to warrant sniffing the preseason #1 spot?

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 10:42 AM

^ agreed.... I'd rather be @ the 9-10 spot with avg expectations and move up then be @ #1 and be a bust.

badger
7/16/2010, 10:49 AM

I think many voters will agree with 04.

I think the easy culprit for #1 is Bammer. They still have their Heisman running back. They still have their quarterback that they stole from Texas and about the only difference is they don't have that fatarse that blocks Tennessee field goals.

I mean... how can you not vote Bammer #1? There is no Tim Tebow anymore (Hallelujah!), there is no Colt-to-Jordan ball passing anymore (eewwwwww) and there is no USC, even if the AP still acknowledges them... and Ohio State?! Everyone knows that their QB is as overrated as the rest of the team every season!

Bammer will be a solid #1. No doubt. Mark it in ink, not pencil.

OUster
7/16/2010, 10:55 AM
It would be cool stat, but I would rather be #1 at the end of the year, FWIW

ouleaf
7/16/2010, 11:11 AM
Wish we would start at #8 so we can win our 8th. Seems like that would have been more fitting.

Position Limit
7/16/2010, 11:29 AM
where did OU finish last season in the polls?

badger
7/16/2010, 11:31 AM
where did OU finish last season in the polls?

:mad: we finished with a bowl win. who cares what number we didn't have attached to our name in some meaningless poll that used to be relevant till it decided the bcs was infringing on its relevancy... efff it

OUTrumpet
7/16/2010, 11:41 AM
I think many voters will agree with 04.

I think the easy culprit for #1 is Bammer. They still have their Heisman running back. They still have their quarterback that they stole from Texas and about the only difference is they don't have that fatarse that blocks Tennessee field goals.

I mean... how can you not vote Bammer #1? There is no Tim Tebow anymore (Hallelujah!), there is no Colt-to-Jordan ball passing anymore (eewwwwww) and there is no USC, even if the AP still acknowledges them... and Ohio State?! Everyone knows that their QB is as overrated as the rest of the team every season!

Bammer will be a solid #1. No doubt. Mark it in ink, not pencil.

Didn't 'bama lose a ton off their defense? Pretty sure off the top of my head they lost 9.

But even still, they should be #1 to start the pre-season.

Position Limit
7/16/2010, 11:55 AM
:mad: we finished with a bowl win. who cares what number we didn't have attached to our name in some meaningless poll that used to be relevant till it decided the bcs was infringing on its relevancy... efff it

tell you what ace, i dont really care. i just was going to point out how polls are nothing more that a marketing device used to sell advertising. it's all hype. i think OU finished low in the polls. so now something so drastic has changed that they're being considered for the number 1 spot. calm down. is the heat getting to you or what? all hype for money. every square inch of college football is bought and paid for. the polls just happen to be a users guide for the marketing end.
lesson over.

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 12:02 PM
# 26 i think

Sooner-N-KS
7/16/2010, 01:31 PM

What has any team done? Not one thing!

goingoneight
7/16/2010, 01:40 PM

What has anyone done the last 12 years to warrant the preseason #1 spot?

2009 Florida
2008 Georgia
2007 USC
2006 Ohio State
2005 TTTNW
2004 TTTNW
2003 OU
2002 Miami
2001 (was it OU or Neb?)
2000 (Neb or FSU)

Point: we'll take it for the noteriety (to go all Nelson Muntz on Notre Damn). Who really cares about preseason polls, though?

Even if you're really good, it means nothing. Just that people know your rep and like what you've got coming back.

I realize we haven't won anything yet, but I don't care either. It's a new year and another great team coming back in Norman.

goingoneight
7/16/2010, 01:49 PM
Didn't 'bama lose a ton off their defense? Pretty sure off the top of my head they lost 9.

But even still, they should be #1 to start the pre-season.

See, with no offense to you intended... let's pretend preseason polls matter for a moment. When Tejas won it all, most here were shielding their childrens' eyes and calling shenanigans for the thought process of Tejas being ranked so highly. When we won it all, the same was for Tejas fans, and to a lesser, irrelevant level... OSU fans.
But when it's someone we don't mind tipping our cap to, they should be #1 despite big and numerous losses on defense and special teams?

Michigan looked like a top 5 lock in 2007, too. Seriously, treat preseason polls like you do aggies. Laugh at them, talk about them for a bit, but know that they really don't matter.

Sooner04
7/16/2010, 01:59 PM
It's a new year and another great team coming back in Norman.
I just don't see it. We've got too many question marks at too many key positions. To lose five games last year with a monster defense that lost several of its key cogs for 2010 does not instill a lot of confidence in me.

Sooner04
7/16/2010, 02:02 PM
What has anyone done the last 12 years to warrant the preseason #1 spot?

2009 Florida - his grace was still at qb.
2008 Georgia - double foolish.
2007 USC - foolish.
2006 Ohio State - foolish.
2005 TTTNW - beat the crap out of everybody the year before.
2004 TTTNW - best team in the country the year before with everybody back.
2003 OU - plugged holes from 2002 with improvement.
2002 Miami - beat the dog crap out of everybody the year before.
2001 (was it OU or Neb?) - don't remember
2000 (Neb or FSU) - don't remember
^

Doged
7/16/2010, 02:05 PM
tell you what ace, i dont really care. i just was going to point out how polls are nothing more that a marketing device used to sell advertising. it's all hype. i think OU finished low in the polls. so now something so drastic has changed that they're being considered for the number 1 spot. calm down. is the heat getting to you or what? all hype for money. every square inch of college football is bought and paid for. the polls just happen to be a users guide for the marketing end.
lesson over.

Looks like you're the only one getting riled.....ace. She made the point the AP poll has become meaningless, and you throw out some rant that states the obvious? Nice lesson. Yes, the AP is now meaningless (though still entertaining) and it's based largely on profit. Like anyone on here didn't already know that.

I'd like to see us at about 7 or 8, and I also think 'Bama will nail the #1.

badger
7/16/2010, 02:11 PM
:P i've never been called ace before

seriously though, i thought he was playing devil's advocate (a possible warning sign to a resident opposing fan) and pointing out that we weren't ranked at the end of last season by asking that rhetorical question.

but yes, the ap poll is meaningless... unless you're SC, in which case you're still blaming texas for losing your three-pete :rolleyes:

goingoneight
7/16/2010, 02:28 PM
^

So what you're saying is that only one of those teams won it all based on the previous season's results... and that team against all odds just got bitch-slapped by the NCAA for doing so?

Preseason polls are nothing more than a conversation piece.

Remember, the BCS polls don't start up until about four games in or so. In reality, the only polls that matter. Plenty of time for Florida's new QB, Alabama's new D, Mack Brown and/or OU's OL to sh!t the bed if they're going to. The rest of the season is about how good you are once you're among the list of contenders.

BetterSoonerThanLater
7/16/2010, 08:08 PM
It would be cool stat, but I would rather be #1 at the end of the year, FWIW

^this!

Sabanball
7/17/2010, 09:49 AM
Alabama will be the preseason no 1 in the AP. How long we will stay there or whether we truly are deserving of it are debatable. If we can get by Penn St, Arkie, and Florida, I'll then be convinced we should be in that spot.

I'm thinking you guys will probably be at no. 2 or 3 to start the season.

swardboy
7/17/2010, 10:40 AM
I'd be shocked if we are in the top five.

SHOCKED I TELL YA!

A-M
7/17/2010, 11:03 AM
I'd be shocked if we are in the top five.

SHOCKED I TELL YA!

^^^^this!

IronHorseSooner
7/17/2010, 12:12 PM
After * there's a good chance we could be in the Top 5, but not to start the season. 'Bama will be, and should be, #1. Most people LOVE tOSU and Boise as #2 & #3. After that, however, who knows? Some people like *(after what they lost, I don't know why), FLA, Neb, VT, Miami (don't see why), and even us. We will probably be Top 10, but not Top 5.

gaylordfan1
7/17/2010, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking somewhere around the # 10 mark. I think Bama is the consensus #1. I think Boise will be solid... only because of their schedule. If they slip past VT (and I soooo hope they slip) then they will have a pretty smooth sail. I don't know too much about tOSU, and I would like to keep it that way until I see them play this year. People also have Oregon in the top ten :confused:. I don't see that happening without the QB.

gaylordfan1
7/17/2010, 05:26 PM
^ by slip, I mean I hope VT beats the He77 out of them.

IronHorseSooner
7/17/2010, 09:24 PM
Oregon will be treated like we were after the whole Bomar ordeal. They will rank them in the Top 10, but if/when they fall, they will drop like a rock.

I am 50/50 on BSU beating VA TECH. BSU's guys have a boatload of experience and success, but VA TECH has better overall talent, and the game is in their backyard in DC.

Sabanball
7/17/2010, 11:21 PM
Oregon will be treated like we were after the whole Bomar ordeal. They will rank them in the Top 10, but if/when they fall, they will drop like a rock.

I am 50/50 on BSU beating VA TECH. BSU's guys have a boatload of experience and success, but VA TECH has better overall talent, and the game is in their backyard in DC.

I think BSU will beat Va Tech. And after that happens, they will automatically be in the NC race. I don't see any other stumbling blocks on their schedule.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/18/2010, 10:46 AM
I think BSU will beat Va Tech. And after that happens, they will automatically be in the NC race. I don't see any other stumbling blocks on their schedule.

agreed.
Boise State is simply better than VT. We'll see if they can actually travel to a "neutral" site and get it done though.

swardboy
7/18/2010, 02:03 PM
agreed.
Boise State is simply better than VT. We'll see if they can actually travel to a "neutral" site and get it done though.

Omaha? Are you taking the boat? Heh....