PDA

View Full Version : Hey Skull, re: Penny Hardaway

Collier11
7/16/2010, 01:58 AM
With the recent news that Hardaway wants to make a comeback with the Heat, it got me thinking about his place in history. If he hadnt suffered all of those injuries where do you think he would rank?

All time Great
A solid All Star Career
Overrated

He was a 4 time NBA All Star
3 Time All NBA(1st team twice)
All Rookie Team
Gold Medal with Team USA

Only twice from 96-08 did he play in more than 60 games, he was still a 45% career shooter and a 31% career three pt shooter

For those 1st four seasons though, he averaged 16.0, 20.9,21.7, and 20.5 ppg. He shot better than 50% from the floor twice in those 4 years, and he averaged over 6 apg 3 out of those 4 years while always being a good rebounding guard. He also lead or helped his team to the playoffs 9 times with 1 finals appearance.

He and Grant Hill are the two great careers who I think we missed out on because of injuries in the last 2 decades, that I can remember anyway.

Whatya think?

the_ouskull
7/16/2010, 09:55 AM
Unless you don't consider death an injury, I think that, in order, we're talking:

1) Len Bias,
2) Arvydas Sabonis
?) Grant Hill, Penny, et al...

I followed Penny at Memphis State, even. I had the shoes. I loved his game. His ceiling was a more offensively-minded (but not as good defensively) Scottie Pippen. If that makes him an all-time great, so be it.

I personally think that his defense, shooting (pretty poor, overall), and his carelessness with the ball would have kept him out of the upper-crust, even if he had staying completely healthy throughout his career. His only two really "standout" years were his 2nd and 3rd seasons. (His rookie year was decent too. Great for a rookie, good for a vet.)

A lot of his All-Star status came from his popularity; both around the league and with fans. But I think that he'd have remained an All-Star for a few more seasons, and then faded into Bolivian with the grace he played with... not fumbled around like a drunken, lost Barkley, hoping to stumble into a ring on one leg.

the_ouskull

Scott D
7/16/2010, 04:46 PM
definitely impossible to top Len Bias in the game of "What if?"

Reggie Lewis would be a closer second.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 04:54 PM
there are alot but we got a 4 year peak into the window of Penny Hardaways career and then he couldnt stay healthy, that is why it intrigued me so much

Scott D
7/16/2010, 05:08 PM
Anfernee would have definitely been better than Tracy McGrady.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 05:09 PM
well Anfernee won playoff games, alot of them

the_ouskull
7/16/2010, 06:07 PM
Actually, Anfernee's ceiling could have been that of a slightly shorter Tracy McGrady, only with the will to go to the basket when his teams need him, not the bathroom.

the_ouskull

Scott D
7/17/2010, 12:56 PM
well that and he doesn't look like his mother mated with a horse to create him.

My Opinion Matters
7/21/2010, 12:29 PM
Taller, lankier, less athletic Derrick Rose.

badger
7/21/2010, 04:52 PM
Not that I am anti-older players, but due to NBA rules following the lockout, veterans, such as one like Penny that played in the league for a long time, command a larger minimum salary than a guy that played for fewer years.

With three salary hogs already in place, can they afford a veteran like Penny, regardless of what he can still contribute basketball-wise?

Eielson
7/21/2010, 09:24 PM
Not that I am anti-older players, but due to NBA rules following the lockout, veterans, such as one like Penny that played in the league for a long time, command a larger minimum salary than a guy that played for fewer years.

With three salary hogs already in place, can they afford a veteran like Penny, regardless of what he can still contribute basketball-wise?

Can't they go over the cap with a veteran taking minimum contract or whatever that overcomplicated crap is?

Collier11
7/21/2010, 10:02 PM
they can go over as much as they want to with minimum contracts, they have now signed 12 total I think