PDA

View Full Version : Arrested for Stealing $0.55

sooner59
7/15/2010, 02:23 PM
Has it really come to this? People are stealing spare change now? I realize candy bars are good, but just steal it from the store like a man. :D

http://www.koco.com/news/24271473/detail.html

SicEmBaylor
7/15/2010, 02:26 PM
Pitiful.

C&CDean
7/15/2010, 02:35 PM
0.55 or 55 million. A thief is a ****ing thief.

GottaHavePride
7/15/2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, he was searching her car to see if there was anything else worth stealing.

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 02:45 PM
Burglary is a big f'in deal. Like to the point where it used to be punishable by death.

OUMallen
7/15/2010, 02:52 PM
Burglary is a big f'in deal. Like to the point where it used to be punishable by death.

Sigh. The good ol' days...

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 02:59 PM
No kidding. Only two f'n crimes punishable by death anymore, and you don't hardly ever get one of 'em.

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 03:13 PM
yeh this complex is a roach infested section 8 wasteland. the whole friggin place needs to be burned to the ground. not to sound elitist but, we don't need that type around us ;) my property value drops everytime something like this hits the airwaves.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 03:30 PM

I said it in the football forum and I got all kinds of nasty backlash, but I don't care: There is nothing lower than a thief.

And I don't care if it is a candy bar or a car. If it's someone else's property, keep your ****ing hands off of it!

We need to make the penalty for thievery so intense that only the insane will try it. At that point, a lot of our problems will evaporate.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 03:31 PM
No kidding. Only two f'n crimes punishable by death anymore, and you don't hardly ever get one of 'em.

Espionage and murder?

Or kidnapping and murder?

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 03:33 PM
I said it in the football forum and I got all kinds of nasty backlash, but I don't care: There is nothing lower than a thief.

And I don't care if it is a candy bar or a car. If it's someone else's property, keep your ****ing hands off of it!

We need to make the penalty for thievery so intense that only the insane will try it. At that point, a lot of our problems will evaporate.

wow..where di your "live and let live" card go?

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 03:47 PM

Burglary is not theft. Two distinct crimes. Burglary is entry with the intent to commit a felony therein. The felony CAN be theft. (Before Homey corrects me, in some not all or even most jurisdictions anymore that the act occur at night may also be an element of the crime.)

No other comment on your policy argument. Some days I even agree with it.

Espionage and murder?

Or kidnapping and murder?

Treason and aggravated murder.

Serge Ibaka
7/15/2010, 03:48 PM
Somebody must have taken Leroy's bike when he was a kid.

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 03:52 PM

im sure women are still taking his lunch money when he steps out of the boys bathroom wiping his head with a papertowel from the swirlie he just received.

Serge Ibaka
7/15/2010, 04:09 PM
I don't blame him, at any rate. It's traumatic when young peoples' bikes are stolen.

I know my little cousin had a really hard time with it.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 04:30 PM

Suppose they did. So what? (Who hasn't had something stolen from them?)

Collier11
7/15/2010, 04:36 PM

Because it is retarded, while thieves are low lifes I would much rather someone steal my bike than kill my Mom

yermom
7/15/2010, 04:39 PM
Burglary is not theft. Two distinct crimes. Burglary is entry with the intent to commit a felony therein. The felony CAN be theft. (Before Homey corrects me, in some not all or even most jurisdictions anymore that the act occur at night may also be an element of the crime.)

No other comment on your policy argument. Some days I even agree with it.

Treason and aggravated murder.

is kidnapping not a capital offense anymore?

Collier11
7/15/2010, 04:40 PM
Im no lawyer but I dont think kidnapping has been a capital offense in a long time?

Collier11
7/15/2010, 04:42 PM
I do think the rape of a child under the age of 13 should be a minimum of life in prison with a chance of capital punishment, talk about an under-punished crime

soonerboomer93
7/15/2010, 04:42 PM
I don't blame him, at any rate. It's traumatic when young peoples' bikes are stolen.

Were his parents rich, and did they have insurance to cover the theft. Wouldn't that make it okay then?

yermom
7/15/2010, 04:45 PM
Im no lawyer but I dont think kidnapping has been a capital offense in a long time?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-penalty-offenses-other-murder

guess it depends on the state. i just remembered it from the Lindbergh kidnapping story

yermom
7/15/2010, 04:48 PM

i was like 25 the last time it happened

i'm still mad about it :mad:

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 04:48 PM
is kidnapping not a capital offense anymore?

At state law, not since Coker v. Georgia. The federal statute makes kidnapping punishable by death if the subject dies while kidnapped, but that's parsing pretty finely if that's an aggravated murder or not.

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 04:50 PM

guess it depends on the state. i just remembered it from the Lindbergh kidnapping story

States may still have the statutes on the books. Coker v. Georgia (at least how it's been interpreted thus far) says that the death penalty may only be imposed by the states for aggravated murder (and felony murder, actually, I misremembered.)

Serge Ibaka
7/15/2010, 04:52 PM
Were his parents rich, and did they have insurance to cover the theft. Wouldn't that make it okay then?

Now you're getting it...

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 04:54 PM

Dave, your own link says that the Supreme Court held that any state statute imposing the death penalty for something not involving a death was unconstitutional. :D

Serge Ibaka
7/15/2010, 04:54 PM
I do think the rape of a child under the age of 13 should be a minimum of life in prison with a chance of capital punishment, talk about an under-punished crime

This.

Luckily, those are the people who have the hardest time in prison. If I were in jail for a really long time, I wouldn't do anything except lift weights and beat up child molesters.

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 04:56 PM

Other than my usual qualms about the application and implementation of the death penalty, I agree.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 04:58 PM
States may still have the statutes on the books. Coker v. Georgia (at least how it's been interpreted thus far) says that the death penalty may only be imposed by the states for aggravated murder (and felony murder, actually, I misremembered.)

The feds are soft on crime.

yermom
7/15/2010, 05:06 PM
Dave, your own link says that the Supreme Court held that any state statute imposing the death penalty for something not involving a death was unconstitutional. :D

i saw that they said that about raping adults

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 05:30 PM
The 8th Amendment is soft on crime.

Yeah I know. :D

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 05:31 PM
i saw that they said that about raping adults

Louisiana's law was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court on June 25, 2008. See Kennedy v. Louisiana for more information. This decision also held that the death penalty would be disproportionate for any offense against an individual that did not involve death of the victim.

Disproportionality runs afoul of the 8th Amendment.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/15/2010, 05:44 PM
Many years ago, when I was teaching in Norman, my teacher's edition of the textbook was stolen.

I suspected a student who, the next day, turned in an assignment with his answers to the last two problems written as "Answers will vary."

We searched his locker and found my book.

A year later he was shot and killed by the Norman police during a residential burglary involving the theft of guns.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 06:13 PM
Many years ago, when I was teaching in Norman, my teacher's edition of the textbook was stolen.

I suspected a student who, the next day, turned in an assignment with his answers to the last two problems written as "Answers will vary."

We searched his locker and found my book.

A year later he was shot and killed by the Norman police during a residential burglary involving the theft of guns.

sniff. That was a beautiful ending.

Crucifax Autumn
7/15/2010, 06:40 PM
That was my cousin Jethro Autumn.

OUthunder
7/15/2010, 06:59 PM

Still is in some countries.

OUthunder
7/15/2010, 08:13 PM
I remember when I was 6 or 7 years old, Mom took me to the grocery store. I asked her to buy me this cool cap gun for like $5. She said that we couldn't afford it, so I stole it.

The manager saw me do it and since we lived in a very small town, the manager called her at home a few hours later and told her what had happened.

I got the worst *** beating of my life that day. Not only did I get an *** whoopin, I had to return the gun in person, and apologize to the owner and pay him the money.

My mom died a few years later, yet it still remains one of my fondest memories of her because she was trying to shape me into a decent person.

Probably sound weird to most, but that's how I honestly feel.

A Sooner in Texas
7/15/2010, 08:14 PM
Other than my usual qualms about the application and implementation of the death penalty, I agree.

I attended an execution two weeks ago (exactly) to cover it for my newspaper. My first one, but likely won't be my last. I truly dreaded it, but not because I'm anti-death penalty. I do believe it's absolutely necessary to do everything possible to ensure we don't execute someone innocent. But there was no doubt about this guy whatsoever.
Watching him die was like watching an animal be put to sleep; the only difference was that I didn't have any emotion about watching this, unlike watching animals I've loved be put to death. Seeing the weight lifted off the victims' family members helped the weight lift off me. I didn't sleep well that night, however.

yermom
7/16/2010, 02:45 AM
I remember when I was 6 or 7 years old, Mom took me to the grocery store. I asked her to buy me this cool cap gun for like $5. She said that we couldn't afford it, so I stole it.

The manager saw me do it and since we lived in a very small town, the manager called her at home a few hours later and told her what had happened.

I got the worst *** beating of my life that day. Not only did I get an *** whoopin, I had to return the gun in person, and apologize to the owner and pay him the money.

My mom died a few years later, yet it still remains one of my fondest memories of her because she was trying to shape me into a decent person.

Probably sound weird to most, but that's how I honestly feel.

ouch. i think we've all been there at some point :D

good on her.