PDA

View Full Version : Routers

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:29 PM
I currently have a Linksys WRT600N that I picked up two summers ago, was pretty spotty, requiring a hard reset about once a week. I flashed it about two days ago and put DD-WRT on it as opposed to Tomato.

I chose DD-WRT since it allowed me to utilize my usb port on the router and I plugged in a HD and now network storage for my media files which can be streamed to my PS3, allows my roommates to browse my media files without them touching my computer (which is extremely important to me) or running an FTP sever from my laptop, and as far as I can tell, it just plain works.

Has anyone else done anything like this? If so, any tips on how I can maximize performance? Anything would be helpful since I don't really know much about it except the basics.

yermom
7/14/2010, 05:59 PM
what performance?

i use dd-wrt but mainly to turn my routers into a clients so i don't have to run cables all over

i'm still using WRT54Gx routers though, none of your fancy USB ports or anything, but that sounds awesome

HBick
7/14/2010, 06:10 PM
what performance?

i use dd-wrt but mainly to turn my routers into a clients so i don't have to run cables all over

i'm still using WRT54Gx routers though, none of your fancy USB ports or anything, but that sounds awesome

The WRT600N is dual band, so as of now I have boosted both transmit powers from their default of 71mw to 85mw which I have noticed finally got me a full signal in my bedroom which is great. But I didn't know if there was anything else I could do to make it benefit me any more. Considering how much effort I put into the storage configuration I feel like I should make this thing better.

And forgive my ignorance, but you said you use your routers as clients? I'm assuming this is instead of adding a wireless card to your box? Or are you just using one main router with the extras being used to boost your signal?

yermom
7/14/2010, 06:16 PM
i have a router connected to the cable modem, then in my room i have a couple of computers hooked to another client router

similar setup in my living room for my PS3 and XBox360