PDA

View Full Version : Josh Heupel wants to stay at OU (for now)

badger
7/14/2010, 03:34 PM
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100714_92_0_SANDSP147742)

“I have the opportunity to be back where I’m at my alma mater, working with a guy who’s the best in the business in coach Bob Stoops, being at a program that consistently has the opportunity to make a run at the national championship ...

“I can’t think of a better place to be right now.”

KantoSooner
7/14/2010, 03:37 PM
I am sure he will have an opportunity to take the next step when he wants to. If he's still learning from Bob and the other coaches, no need to rush things. He's still young.

CaliBornSoonerBred
7/14/2010, 03:48 PM
He may get the shot as our OC if "FIRE KW" ever takes another job and that could keep Josh here for awhile. I still think it's between Josh and Cale as far as who will be groomed to take over for Stoops.

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 04:17 PM
I heard that Cale will never be more than the recruiting coordinator and RB coach. Don't remember where, but that's what I heard.

Monster Zero
7/14/2010, 04:51 PM
I heard that Cale will never be more than the recruiting coordinator and RB coach. Don't remember where, but that's what I heard.

Yep. Cale is set for life where he is.

badger
7/14/2010, 04:56 PM
Yep. Cale is set for life where he is.

And he didn't have to sell his soul to Boone Pickens to get there :D

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:14 PM
You know if KW left after this season, I think Norvell would be in the mix for the OC job. He was the OC at UCLA before they fired their coach (Karl Dorell maybe?) and hired that cry baby Ricky

Sooner-N-KS
7/14/2010, 08:05 PM
He may get the shot as our OC if "FIRE KW" ever takes another job and that could keep Josh here for awhile. I still think it's between Josh and Cale as far as who will be groomed to take over for Stoops.

The problem is none of the BCS schools want KW, and he thinks he's above starting at a non-BCS school (or else he would already be there). Stoops has never fired a coach. I'm afraid we're stuck with KW until Stoops leaves.

goingoneight
7/14/2010, 08:11 PM
It's hard to say whether Norvell or Heupel is next in line. I know Sumlin was high on Stoops's list until he left for a HC gig. I think you can take this article as evidence that we're gonna have Heupel for as long as it takes to get him a coordinator position. Thing is, after KW's looked past quite a few offers, I don't know if he's looking to leave anymore like most assistants. He's one of those "comfortable here" guys. I think that BV and KW are both that way, actually. Stoops is one of the most respected guys to work for, so maybe that's playing a big part in them not leaving for the pressures of head-coaching elsewhere.

Seriously, many popular coaches don't have the reputation with their players and assistants that Stoops does. Like Mack's revolving door at DC, Les Miles with Fisher flirting around with other offers before FSU's HC-in-waiting thing came along, Snyder... well, Stoops pretty much stole his staff when he came to OU... so as good as the old man is, he ain't a popular boss man.

goingoneight
7/14/2010, 08:12 PM
The problem is none of the BCS schools want KW, and he thinks he's above starting at a non-BCS school (or else he would already be there). Stoops has never fired a coach. I'm afraid we're stuck with KW until Stoops leaves.

Why would you be afraid of that? He's been the most successful OC since Stoops got here.

soonerguild
7/14/2010, 11:18 PM
Why would you be afraid of that? He's been the most successful OC since Stoops got here.

Agreed, the bar is set so high with some people its ridiculous. Everybody rips landry who just passed for more yards than bradford did as a freshman with bradford having a vastly superior oline, and rips wilson after having directed the most potent offense in the history of college football because of one game.

Points won't be an issue this year, i really think our offense will be much improved from last year.

John Kochtoston
7/15/2010, 12:48 AM
I'm hopeful Josh will take an OC position somewhere outside of the Big 12 for a few years, then come back. I think it does all coaches good to learn from different mentors, and cherry-pick the best techniques, schemes and ideas from them. Almost all of his coaching and playing experience has been at OU, and while he's learned from three great coordinators (and learned what not to do from Chuck Long), I think some experience "outside the family" would help him tremendously.

Collier11
7/15/2010, 12:54 AM
Ah, football season is close, how do we know you ask? Well other than looking at the calendar we are starting to see the idiots who think they know something about football and who want to criticize our coaches despite the obvious facts to back up their success

Sooner-N-KS
7/15/2010, 07:40 AM

Because KW is a great coach when he has players significantly better than the other team.......most of the time. The problem is he gets a game plan in his head, and he doesn't adjust the game plan when necessary. How many close games has he won? How many come from behind games has he won?

I think he came around a bit and finished the year well last year. I give him credit especially for the Stanford game. But the BYU game was all on him, and I blame him for getting Sam hurt.

If you look at the BYU game he called that out of arrogance. His guys were so much better than BYU there was no way he was going to lose. So he called the game like it was a preseason scrimmage. He wanted to see what his new toy could do before he had to play real competition. How do you explain giving the ball to Matt Clapp on 3rd & 6 in a close game? In the first quarter plus first series of the 2nd quarter of the BYU game we had FIVE running backs!!! Brown, Murray, Calhoun, Madu (who had been practicing at WR instead of RB) and the fullback, Matt Clapp. Why would someone do this in a close game when you can pound the ball with Brown and Murray? Then there was the blitz that got Sam hurt. That wasn't the first time they did it, but KW didn't do anything to adjust the blocking scheme.

I also don't think he utilizes his personnel according to their abilities. The mearkat offense was great for Sam and an experienced line. The mearkat was not great for a freshman QB and an inexperienced line. Why couldn't they just go back to the huddle after Sam got hurt? The line often couldn't figure out what was going on or the snap count. And then there was the confusion where we got the delay of game at the goal line. Why wasn't KW watching the play clock for his freshman QB?

When KW has the personnel to out-man the other team he's great. But he hasn't shown the ability to adjust his plan against better teams. He hasn't stood up in the face of adversity.....until the Stanford game.

And don't forget that he's the guy that started last season by reprimanding all of the people that dared question his offensive line. He said he may not know offenses that well, but he knew offensive lines. And that offensive line was set up to be one of OU's best OL's ever he told us. Talk about injuries all you want.....that line was ugly well before the injuries.

Best OC at OU during the Stoops era? Maybe. But even Chuck Long could have won the national championship with the talent they had in 2008.

starrca23
7/15/2010, 09:23 AM
Because KW is a great coach when he has players significantly better than the other team.......most of the time. The problem is he gets a game plan in his head, and he doesn't adjust the game plan when necessary. How many close games has he won? How many come from behind games has he won?

I think he came around a bit and finished the year well last year. I give him credit especially for the Stanford game. But the BYU game was all on him, and I blame him for getting Sam hurt.

If you look at the BYU game he called that out of arrogance. His guys were so much better than BYU there was no way he was going to lose. So he called the game like it was a preseason scrimmage. He wanted to see what his new toy could do before he had to play real competition. How do you explain giving the ball to Matt Clapp on 3rd & 6 in a close game? In the first quarter plus first series of the 2nd quarter of the BYU game we had FIVE running backs!!! Brown, Murray, Calhoun, Madu (who had been practicing at WR instead of RB) and the fullback, Matt Clapp. Why would someone do this in a close game when you can pound the ball with Brown and Murray? Then there was the blitz that got Sam hurt. That wasn't the first time they did it, but KW didn't do anything to adjust the blocking scheme.

I also don't think he utilizes his personnel according to their abilities. The mearkat offense was great for Sam and an experienced line. The mearkat was not great for a freshman QB and an inexperienced line. Why couldn't they just go back to the huddle after Sam got hurt? The line often couldn't figure out what was going on or the snap count. And then there was the confusion where we got the delay of game at the goal line. Why wasn't KW watching the play clock for his freshman QB?

When KW has the personnel to out-man the other team he's great. But he hasn't shown the ability to adjust his plan against better teams. He hasn't stood up in the face of adversity.....until the Stanford game.

And don't forget that he's the guy that started last season by reprimanding all of the people that dared question his offensive line. He said he may not know offenses that well, but he knew offensive lines. And that offensive line was set up to be one of OU's best OL's ever he told us. Talk about injuries all you want.....that line was ugly well before the injuries.

Best OC at OU during the Stoops era? Maybe. But even Chuck Long could have won the national championship with the talent they had in 2008.

Wow...I am wondering why you aren't the greatest football coach ever with all of this insight...:rolleyes:

Mississippi Sooner
7/15/2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know who was the first to use the term "meerkat offense," but it still makes me chuckle. It's such an apt description.

texaspokieokie
7/15/2010, 10:03 AM
"yep, Cale is set for life where he is".

don't think any coach is set for life, any assistant anyway.

TahoeSOONER
7/15/2010, 10:41 AM
Even great coaches have off games.

Consistency is what you look for and we have that coaching on both sides of the ball.

goingoneight
7/15/2010, 02:09 PM
Kevin Wilson missed the blitz or the O-Line? I'm pretty sure the O-Line missed a lot in that game. Snap counts, blitz packages, going in the right direction of the play... do I need to go on?

I suppose it's Kevin Wilson's fault the receivers routinely dropped passes, too?

crawfish
7/15/2010, 03:29 PM
My brother took his son to that camp. He said he was proud Josh told him to keep his butt down.

Collier11
7/15/2010, 03:33 PM
Yep, lets take the Florida game and just look a a cpl of plays that cost us the game

Atleast two missed blocks on the goal line
A Receiver has the ball hit him in the hands that gets tipped up for an int
A Receiver gets out-fought for a ball that gets int

Take those 4 plays and have us make the play and we probably win the game. That isnt KWs fault

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2010, 03:57 PM
^^^THIS.

Booner
7/15/2010, 04:14 PM
I wonder whether Leach would ever come back.

stoopified
7/15/2010, 04:21 PM
I wonder whether Leach would ever come back.Dear God NOOOOOO!!!!!

goingoneight
7/15/2010, 04:26 PM
I doubt it. I can think of several reasons why not.

PR after the Adam James incident.
Stoops likes a running game, and doesn't wanna hear it because Mike wants to go for it on 4th and 13 from OUr own 15.
Bringing in Leach destroys the whole grass roots thing Stoops has had with his assistants.
Leach will only be around long enough for the smoke to settle before he takes another HC gig. 2 years tops. He ain't gonna be a position coach.

I know there's a lot of positives, but there's just a few about why it likely won't happen.

Mississippi Sooner
7/15/2010, 04:46 PM
Nah, the Leach gimmick was cool for that one year, but we were starving then and willing to latch onto anything that would create excitement and get us a winning record.

Now, I'd much rather have a balanced attack and, as goingoneight said, he would only be around long enough to catch another head coaching gig.

badger
7/15/2010, 04:51 PM
btw, the updated interview is here:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100715_92_B1_BATBKR806259)

Q: Which was cooler, being a finalist for the Heisman Trophy in your playing days or helping Sam Bradford and seeing what he could do under you?

Josh: I think it’s always more gratifying when you’re coaching somebody and seeing them have the success that he had and work so hard, and that’s what this profession is all about.

:D

prrriiide
7/15/2010, 07:45 PM
I'm hopeful Josh will take an OC position somewhere outside of the Big 12 for a few years, then come back. I think it does all coaches good to learn from different mentors, and cherry-pick the best techniques, schemes and ideas from them. Almost all of his coaching and playing experience has been at OU, and while he's learned from three great coordinators (and learned what not to do from Chuck Long), I think some experience "outside the family" would help him tremendously.

If Josh had the normal "average" football background, i would say that's true. But don't forget that his dad was a college coach and he was analyzing game film with the old man when most kids were learning to ride a bike. He's been in and around college football his entire life.

His sister is David Boren's daughter-in-law. He is a beloved by Sooner fans as a former player that has come home to continue what he started as OU's first QB of the Stoops era. The deeper the roots go, the harder it will be for him to transplant.

It's going to take a lot more than just going out to get experience to get him to leave OU.

John Kochtoston
7/16/2010, 12:17 AM
If Josh had the normal "average" football background, i would say that's true. But don't forget that his dad was a college coach and he was analyzing game film with the old man when most kids were learning to ride a bike. He's been in and around college football his entire life.

His sister is David Boren's daughter-in-law. He is a beloved by Sooner fans as a former player that has come home to continue what he started as OU's first QB of the Stoops era. The deeper the roots go, the harder it will be for him to transplant.

It's going to take a lot more than just going out to get experience to get him to leave OU.

Oh, I want him at OU over the long haul. I said when he led OU to the 2000 title he was going to be a hell of a head coach someday. He'll also be a hell of an O-Coordinator, when the time is right.

But, he's also not the only coach who grew up as a coach's son. And, he might be able to serve under a coach with a totally different offensive philosophy, say the spread option. Now, would OU change its entire offense? No. But could they incorporate a bit of it? Sure.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 12:19 AM
Josh also doesnt have normal football intelligence, that is what sets him apart. Bomar was a coaches son as well

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 12:37 AM
Keep him close at all times.... I doubt Stoops wants him anywhere but under his wing.

Sooner-N-KS
7/16/2010, 07:20 AM
Oh, I want him at OU over the long haul. I said when he led OU to the 2000 title he was going to be a hell of a head coach someday. He'll also be a hell of an O-Coordinator, when the time is right.

But, he's also not the only coach who grew up as a coach's son. And, he might be able to serve under a coach with a totally different offensive philosophy, say the spread option. Now, would OU change its entire offense? No. But could they incorporate a bit of it? Sure.

How many coaches sons have come a few ignorant votes away from winning a Heisman and then turned around to coach a kid to win a Heisman?

Curly Bill
7/17/2010, 04:42 AM
Ah, football season is close, how do we know you ask? Well other than looking at the calendar we are starting to see the idiots who think they know something about football and who want to criticize our coaches despite the obvious facts to back up their success

Awwww, you crack me up with your consistently fervent defense of our coordinators. :D

Curly Bill
7/17/2010, 04:45 AM
Nah, the Leach gimmick was cool for that one year, but we were starving then and willing to latch onto anything that would create excitement and get us a winning record.

Now, I'd much rather have a balanced attack and, as goingoneight said, he would only be around long enough to catch another head coaching gig.

I know right! At least with KW we don't have to worry about this. ;)

Collier11
7/17/2010, 09:21 AM
Awwww, you crack me up with your consistently fervent defense of our coordinators. :D

I wondered where you were sweet cheeks :D