PDA

View Full Version : Gulf cleanup ideas

Ike
7/14/2010, 12:35 PM
You can post specific ideas about methods to clean up the gulf here, but that isn't quite the idea I had in mind for this post. Specifically, I'm thinking about the whole 'cleanup' effort going on (or not going on), and ways to improve it. It seems to me, based on news reports and so forth that the biggest problem with the cleanup effort is that we have a whole lot of people willing to work at this but not enough people ready to organize them or pay them. So I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to approach the idea of cleanup in a different way...like say the following way.

We've had BP set up a 20 billion dollar escrow. I don't know if thats for cleanup costs, or damage claims, or both, but lets just assume for the time being that half of it is for cleanup costs. According to this article (http://www.examiner.com/x-52915-Tampa-Environmental-Health-Examiner~y2010m7d14-Gulf-Oil-Spill-gushes-forth-into-fresh-water-aquifers-while-hope-emerges-from-the-Tampa-Bay-area), there are currently 141,817,788 gallons of oil unaccounted for in the gulf. Divide 10 billion into that, and thats a cost of roughly 70 dollars per gallon of oil. So why not just offer to pay anyone that brings in any oil removed from the gulf a price of 70 dollars per gallon? You'd probably have to have some fraud protection built into that so that people aren't just buying motor oil and bringing that in, but presumably that would be easy to test for. But why not just turn people loose to gather whatever they can however they can and then pay them for what they bring back? You could probably even offer less money per gallon and still get a crap load of people out there trying to get oil out of everything.

Lott's Bandana
7/14/2010, 01:16 PM
Send Timmah, he'll work a miracle.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 01:34 PM
Send Timmah, he'll work a miracle.

:rolleyes:

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Well the idea to nuke the leak sounds good, but apparently there is a huge methane gas pocket down there that would blow up the gulf or some doomsday scenario.

So I'm all for the Gov't stepping in and saying Thanks for nothing BP, we'll let the Navy & Coast Guard clean up the mess and you'll just bank roll the ENTIRE operation.

I think they just need to use those giant tankers and suck up the contaminated seawater and filter out the oil and fill up the tankers. That way BP is at least getting some oil out of the deal.

I'm not for this moratorium on off shore drilling, I do think we need to take a step back and review the current policies and regulations in the hope of preventing something of this magnitude from happening again.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 05:45 PM
Well the idea to nuke the leak sounds good, but apparently there is a huge methane gas pocket down there that would blow up the gulf or some doomsday scenario.

So I'm all for the Gov't stepping in and saying Thanks for nothing BP, we'll let the Navy & Coast Guard clean up the mess and you'll just bank roll the ENTIRE operation.

I'm not so sure they would be any better.

I like the idea of putting a price on the recovered oil. Put some money on the line and they'll clean it up. The Navy doesn't have any financial stake in doing a good job. You might as well put an Oklahoma highway construction team on it.

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:51 PM
The Navy doesn't have any financial stake in doing a good job.

You might as well put an Oklahoma highway construction team on it.

1. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic to think that the service men would feel good about helping all those people in the Gulf whose lives have been ruined, especially the ones from those affected areas.

2. As long as it's the crew that did the Norman I35 widening project I'm all for it. Driving from Indian Hill Road to Main Street is actually quite pleasant now. Even if they did lower the speed limit last week from 70 to 60. I blame the City Council for that one.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 05:55 PM
1. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic to think that the service men would feel good about helping all those people in the Gulf whose lives have been ruined, especially the ones from those affected areas.

Yeah, I'm sure they joined the Navy to perform toxic cleanup.

2. As long as it's the crew that did the Norman I35 widening project I'm all for it. Driving from Indian Hill Road to Main Street is actually quite pleasant now. Even if they did lower the speed limit last week from 70 to 60. I blame the City Council for that one.

Indian Hill Road to Main Street? Is that, like, three miles.?

So what you're telling us is that in about ten years they will have cleaned up a portion of the gulf covering about 20 acres.

But it will be really clean.

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they joined the Navy to perform toxic cleanup.

Indian Hill Road to Main Street? Is that, like, three miles.?

So what you're telling us is that in about ten years they will have cleaned up a portion of the gulf covering about 20 acres.

But it will be really clean.

They joined the Navy to do whatever they're told, and I drove Indian Hill Road to Main Street 5 days a week, considering how much traffic goes through there each day, along with redoing the Flood exit, it was impressive. Much better than the headache just south of the Kansas border which has been on going for 2 years (or least every time I've traveled to Kansas in the last two years). Oh and it's 4 miles ;)

And you are right that it will be extremely clean haha

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 06:11 PM
They joined the Navy to do whatever they're told, and I drove Indian Hill Road to Main Street 5 days a week, considering how much traffic goes through there each day, along with redoing the Flood exit, it was impressive. Much better than the headache just south of the Kansas border which has been on going for 2 years (or least every time I've traveled to Kansas in the last two years). Oh and it's 4 miles ;)

They had been working on I-35 for, what, 20 years? In all my life I have never seen highway construction performed so slowly. Hell, Albuquerque's road crew is faster, and that's saying a lot.

I don't crow much about California's Cal Trans outfit, but at least they get the job done. They could probably replace the entire I-5 freeway in less time than the Oklahoma crew can replace any five-mile stretch of road. In fact, Cal Trans widened the Cuesta Grade in less time, and that was one helluva lot more difficult job.

As for the Navy, we were told that they would enjoy the cleanup job. I highly doubt that.

Doged
7/14/2010, 06:50 PM
As for the Navy, we were told that they would enjoy the cleanup job. I highly doubt that.

In all fairness, you should tell folks that you don't know jack #%&@ about the Navy or the people who choose to serve there. Your opinion, while you're free to express it, is clearly based primarily on ignorance.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 07:22 PM
In all fairness, you should tell folks that you don't know jack #%&@ about the Navy or the people who choose to serve there. Your opinion, while you're free to express it, is clearly based primarily on ignorance.

Put out the campaign ad: Join the Navy and you will get to clean up oil. See how many enlist.

People join the Navy to defend their country, not perform cleaning duties. That is not their purpose. To put our servicemen in cleanup duty is an insult to their skills and duties.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/14/2010, 07:31 PM
Boatswain, put down that mop. Drop that wire brush and paint.

It's beneath you.

Do you just make this sh*t up on the fly?

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 07:33 PM
Boatswain, put down that mop. Drop that wire brush and paint.

It's beneath you.

Do you just make this sh*t up on the fly?

Do you not understand the difference between a cleaning detail and a mission?

If you want cleanup, hire a maid service.

SunnySooner
7/14/2010, 07:51 PM
I thought I saw something about a skimmer that was looking promising, no?

And what happened to that Sand Aggy crap, it was like a low grade cotton with a carbon liner, soaked up and PURIFIED the oil--why aren't they making AIDS quilt size quantities of that and tossing it out in the Gulf? Look they even did a demo...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KsXOh69pY

It's like there are ideas that look like they will really work and they are just ignored. That ratchets up the pissed-offedness factor exponentially.

Okla-homey
7/14/2010, 08:42 PM
IMHO, it'll stop puking oil when it stops. We're powerless to stop it. In the meantime, we oughtt be focusing our efforts of diverting it from US beaches and marshes. It would be really cool if we could drift it over towards Cuba.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 08:44 PM
IMHO, it'll stop puking oil when it stops. We're powerless to stop it. In the meantime, we oughtt be focusing our efforts of diverting it from US beaches and marshes. It would be really cool if we could drift it over towards Cuba.

And that would be a legitimate use of the Navy.

GKeeper316
7/14/2010, 08:48 PM
People join the Navy to defend their country, not perform cleaning duties. That is not their purpose. To put our servicemen in cleanup duty is an insult to their skills and duties.

you dont have a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

Okla-homey
7/14/2010, 08:55 PM
And that would be a legitimate use of the Navy.

WTF do you know about the Navy? The mission of the US Navy is to protect our sea lanes, maintain sea superiority and to assert US combat power in support of our national interests world-wide. Not swabbing up oil.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 08:59 PM
you dont have a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

This coming from the marinja.

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/MartialArts/ninja.jpg

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 09:00 PM
WTF do you know about the Navy? The mission of the US Navy is to protect our sea lanes, maintain sea superiority and to assert US combat power in support of our national interests world-wide. Not swabbing up oil.

Push, not swab. Consider it like pouring flaming oil on the enemy... without the fire.

soonerinabilene
7/15/2010, 08:56 AM
50000 sears shop vacs. the big ones.

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 09:08 AM
Put out the campaign ad: Join the Navy and you will get to clean up oil. See how many enlist.

mostly, people join the armed services to serve a greater purpose. this would be one of those times.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 09:27 AM
mostly, people join the armed services to serve a greater purpose. this would be one of those times.

You have the Navy confused with the Peace Corps.

texaspokieokie
7/15/2010, 09:52 AM
the clean-up would progress much more quickly if the government goons were not involved.

if the gov gets their hands on the BP 20 bil, they'll **** it away just like all
the other money they've touched. 20 bil is a drop in the bucket for our gov.
would take them about 1/2 day to spend it & about 15 yrs to account
for it all. (actually never)

it's so funny (not really) that the gov wants to review the BP process for plugging the well, but they're mostly a bunch of lawyers that haven't a
clue about oil wells.

they should be smart enough to step aside.

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 03:27 PM
the clean-up would progress much more quickly if the government goons were not involved.

if the gov gets their hands on the BP 20 bil, they'll **** it away just like all
the other money they've touched. 20 bil is a drop in the bucket for our gov.
would take them about 1/2 day to spend it & about 15 yrs to account
for it all. (actually never)

it's so funny (not really) that the gov wants to review the BP process for plugging the well, but they're mostly a bunch of lawyers that haven't a
clue about oil wells.

they should be smart enough to step aside.

So they won't.

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 03:34 PM
You have the Navy confused with the Peace Corps.

yeah...

i know that was a joke. ill leave you with this....generations of people join the military just to say they served this nation.

Okla-homey
7/15/2010, 03:42 PM

I dunno about "greater purposes" and what not. I joined to kill people and break things for my Uncle Sammy...which is the mission of the United States Air Force.

Jello Biafra
7/15/2010, 03:49 PM
I dunno about "greater purposes" and what not. I joined to kill people and break things for my Uncle Sammy...which is the mission of the United States Air Force.

yeh homey....im not sure about all that. remember where i work. i joined the amry (as a good portion of people i met did) because A. i was thrown out of school ;) and because i had family members serve in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam....figured it was my turn...now ARMY and MARINES....they kill things and break stuff....about 95% of you guys play the real live version of PS3 video games :)

Leroy Lizard
7/15/2010, 04:55 PM

You didn't join to pick up trash? Evidently, you are an odd one.

Jello Biafra
7/16/2010, 01:39 PM
You didn't join to pick up trash? Evidently, you are an odd one.

you join and then do what you are told. As in .....SERVING the people's interest. right now, one of the people's interest happens to be cleaning up the gulf.

Leroy Lizard
7/16/2010, 02:01 PM
you join and then do what you are told. As in .....SERVING the people's interest. right now, one of the people's interest happens to be cleaning up the gulf.

Sure, we can MAKE them do it. No one is denying that.