PDA

View Full Version : Air Force: A Tougher Matchup than You Might Think

htownsooner7
7/14/2010, 11:00 AM
Air Force ended last year as the fifth ranked passing defense. Check this out, they gave up only 10 passing touchdowns all year and had 20 interceptions. To further cement their stingy pass defense, they beat the sh*t out of Houston in the bowl game and forced SIX picks from Keenum, a qb who put up play station numbers last year. Our offense better figure something out or ole Landry may end up throwing a few balls to the guys in blue. This is a very good job scheduling a tough bowl team and should prepare us for playing solid pass defenses like UT and Nebraska (big 12 championship). Dare I suggest that we figure out how to run the ball before we play them??

Mad Dog Madsen
7/14/2010, 11:27 AM
34-10 OU

htownsooner7
7/14/2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that's what I see to. Unfortunately, that's what UH and TCU thought before they played them last year as well. UH lost by 4 touchdowns and TCU won by a field goal in overtime.

Sooner in Tampa
7/14/2010, 12:30 PM
If we can't beat a team that is picked to finish third in the MWC...then we are DOOMED for the rest of the year.

tfoolry
7/14/2010, 12:32 PM
I give credit to OU for scheduling respectable non conf. opponents. Cornholer fans should be embarrassed:

Sat, Sept. 4 Western Kentucky
Sat, Sept. 11 Idaho
Sat, Sept. 18 at Washington
Sat, Sept. 25 South Dakota State

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 12:47 PM
At home, and they're one-dimensional. Mudhole stomping.

yermom
7/14/2010, 12:49 PM
I give credit to OU for scheduling respectable non conf. opponents. Cornholer fans should be embarrassed:

Sat, Sept. 11 Idaho

@UW might be scary

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 12:52 PM
If any Nebraska on the fence about going to that game, just go. That was some of the most fun we've had on an away game!

yermom
7/14/2010, 12:56 PM
i think i might have liked Oregon better, but Washington was awesome

Salt City Sooner
7/14/2010, 12:57 PM

Sat, Sept. 11 Idaho
One year blip for NU (remember, they just got finished w/ a home/home vs. Va. Tech last year) ; they've got plenty of solid OOC's coming up as well:

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/nebraska_future.htm

As for the thread subject, I agree w/ Tampa, no reason not to win this game. Also, one other overlooked benefit of playing AFA is that OU should get some good exposure to what they've got to look forward to from a scheme standpoint with they go to College Station (one of the consensus tougher games on the schedule). Their new DC was AFA's DC just last year, so one should be able to reasonably surmise that they'll see a good chunk of similar stuff.

tfoolry
7/14/2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, they prob. knew this was the last yr. in Big 12 & that everyone in conf. would be ready to give them an appropriate send off; no reason getting beat up before that starts.

goingoneight
7/14/2010, 01:16 PM
Washington isn't what I call an embarassing move. Program recently down, yeah... but a respectable OOC game.

yermom
7/14/2010, 01:18 PM
i think Locker is for real. they did beat USC last year

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 01:22 PM
USC beat USC last year. That was their no-show game.

JLEW1818
7/14/2010, 01:22 PM
38-17 OU

tfoolry
7/14/2010, 01:24 PM
Wash. hasn't been to a bowl since 2002 & their defense is pathetic. Every preseason poll I've seen has them in the bottom half of the conf. Combine that game with 3 JV teams at home & the OOC schedule sux; reminds me of K-State 10 years ago.

Iam4OUru
7/15/2010, 10:12 PM
One year blip for NU (remember, they just got finished w/ a home/home vs. Va. Tech last year) ; they've got plenty of solid OOC's coming up as well:

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/nebraska_future.htm

As for the thread subject, I agree w/ Tampa, no reason not to win this game. Also, one other overlooked benefit of playing AFA is that OU should get some good exposure to what they've got to look forward to from a scheme standpoint with they go to College Station (one of the consensus tougher games on the schedule). Their new DC was AFA's DC just last year, so one should be able to reasonably surmise that they'll see a good chunk of similar stuff.

aTm has a defense? :eek:

gaylordfan1
7/15/2010, 11:48 PM
We will have to see.... They do return three from last years secondary, two CB's and one safety. All of which had great seasons last year. They did lose their big man on the D-Line that cause a lot of problems last year. Kinda sounding like they are have problems replacing him. They also lost their ENTIRE offensive line. So, seems to me that we match up pretty well. But like I said, we will have to wait and see.

Collier11
7/15/2010, 11:55 PM
preparing for that offense is always tough but they dont have near the speed to keep up with us, im going with Jlew on the score

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 12:34 AM
I will agree with that.... @ least a 2 TD game.

the_edge
7/16/2010, 01:06 AM
I think it's going to be hard for them to give us trouble if they can't score.

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 08:48 AM
I think it's going to be hard for them to give us trouble if they can't score.

Agreed, but their defense had 20int's last year... Sounds like their D backfield is pretty stout....

rawlingsHOH
7/16/2010, 11:01 AM
Air Force ended last year as the fifth ranked passing defense. Check this out, they gave up only 10 passing touchdowns all year and had 20 interceptions. To further cement their stingy pass defense, they beat the sh*t out of Houston in the bowl game and forced SIX picks from Keenum, a qb who put up play station numbers last year. Our offense better figure something out or ole Landry may end up throwing a few balls to the guys in blue. This is a very good job scheduling a tough bowl team and should prepare us for playing solid pass defenses like UT and Nebraska (big 12 championship). Dare I suggest that we figure out how to run the ball before we play them??

they'll be wearing white... and i like our chances, a LOT!

yankee
7/16/2010, 12:47 PM
i have a lot of respect for the service academies, but i don't think this one's going to be close. i'll be surprised if they score more than 2 TD's and i'll be surprised if we score less than 40 points.

KantoSooner
7/16/2010, 01:50 PM
Here's another little 'factor' when thinking about this game: those guys practice in Colorado Springs. It can get hot there, but not Norman in September hot.
And not anywhere close to the humidity.
If, and I'd be surprised, the thing is still close mid-way through the third, you will see a Darwinian dying off of flyboys.

Breadburner
7/16/2010, 01:53 PM
We better not play them.....

mehip
7/16/2010, 02:45 PM
I think the macro level game plan for this one is simple. Run the ball well, throw deep to the edge of the field and play assignment D.

htownsooner7
7/16/2010, 03:00 PM
Our non-conference schedule is legit this year. Many pre-season publications have FSU as top 20 and have their qb as a heisman contender, Cincy won their conference and played in the Sugar Bowl last year, and Air Force won 8 games and beat UH (who beat Tech and Okie State) by 4 tds in the bowl game. I think we should win all games by double digits but each game should pose different threats. Top level speed and an NFL qb with FSU, Tough road game against proven winner at Cincy, and a disciplined, good rushing attach and solid passing defense in Air Force. If we can get through unscathed and without serious injury, we'll be battle tested as we enter conference play.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 03:08 PM
Agreed, but their defense had 20int's last year... Sounds like their D backfield is pretty stout....

1st, look at the teams they played last season and those teams ranks in passing offense

Nicholls St- 4th from the bottom in 1AA
Minnesota- 82nd
New Mexico- 63rd
San Diego St- 30th
Navy- 118th
TCU- 48th
Wyoming- 102nd
Utah- 56th
Colorado St- 77th
Army- 119th
UNLV- 49th
BYU- 13th

So, of their 12 games 3 were against top 50 passing teams while only 1 was against a top 20 passing team...

2nd, AF was in the top 15 in time of possession due to the type of offense they played so that doesnt allow the other team much time to do much offensively either way

oudavid1
7/16/2010, 03:28 PM
Great Point ^^^^^^^^^^^

Salt City Sooner
7/16/2010, 03:52 PM
1st, look at the teams they played last season and those teams ranks in passing offense

Minnesota- 82nd
New Mexico- 63rd
San Diego St- 30th
Navy- 118th
TCU- 48th
Wyoming- 102nd
Utah- 56th
Colorado St- 77th
Army- 119th
UNLV- 49th
BYU- 13th

So, of their 12 games 3 were against top 50 passing teams while only 1 was against a top 20 passing team...

2nd, AF was in the top 15 in time of possession due to the type of offense they played so that doesnt allow the other team much time to do much offensively either way
You're one game short, & it happens to be against the #1 passing offense (by almost 50 YPG over TTU) in the nation last year. They ended up averaging 434 yards in the air last year, but against the Zoomies: 24-41 for 222 yds., 1 TD, 6 INT's.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 03:56 PM
Didnt see that, was it their bowl game? Their team site only doesnt show that on their schedule

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/aab/schedule?y=2009

soonerborn30
7/16/2010, 04:32 PM
I'm with Kanto. I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up in the heat. Being so one-dimensional is fatal to a defense as fast as ours. They'll get their yards, but we'll still win by a couple of scores.

oudavid1
7/16/2010, 04:37 PM
they could run, but they could kinda pass too. from what i heard.

htownsooner7
7/16/2010, 08:52 PM
You're one game short, & it happens to be against the #1 passing offense (by almost 50 YPG over TTU) in the nation last year. They ended up averaging 434 yards in the air last year, but against the Zoomies: 24-41 for 222 yds., 1 TD, 6 INT's.

This. I live in Houston and heard all about how Air Force's D would get killed by the cougar passing attack. That their numbers were just a by product of their opponents. And then Keenum threw 6 picks and Air Force won by 4 tds. Now, that being said, their DC left for A&M so that may have been half the battle for the D. The scheme was probably huge. Still, Air Force is a nice job scheduling by our AD. A good team that poses a distinct challenge.

Iam4OUru
7/16/2010, 10:14 PM

Minnesota- 82nd
New Mexico- 63rd
San Diego St- 30th
Navy- 118th
TCU- 48th
Wyoming- 102nd
Utah- 56th
Colorado St- 77th
Army- 119th
UNLV- 49th
BYU- 13th

Almost half this sked are run-orienated teams. Five rank in the top 50 nationally in rushing...three in the top 20. Navy 118th in passing...3rd in rushing.

Salt City Sooner
7/16/2010, 10:21 PM
Didnt see that, was it their bowl game? Their team site only doesnt show that on their schedule

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/aab/schedule?y=2009

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=293652005