PDA

View Full Version : If I could ask a question for all of you who own tv's or home theater.

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 10:54 AM
I regularly get called out to homes by people who are having minor issues controlling or using their tv's and audio equipment. I know most of you here are pretty well versed in how to use your equipment but IF you had something that you wanted resolved with regard to the use of your A/V equipment, What would it be?

( the reason I am asking is that with the onset of WIFI, internet streaming video, 3-d, hdmi etc....... a lot of people just don't understand how to use these things and I am thinking it may be a nice service to advertise. Something like a "Home Theater" tune up for like 79.00 bucks. Any construction thoughts?
TIA

sooner_born_1960
7/14/2010, 10:57 AM
Why doesn't anything good come on at 10:30? After I watch the news, I have to wait til 11:00 for anything good to watch.

I'll send you my credit card information.

Boomer.....
7/14/2010, 11:09 AM
What's up with Sunday morning and afternoon programming? It sucks (unless there are sports on). Also, what are these crappy cartoons that kids are forced to watch on Saturday mornings?

I'll take your answer off the air.

soonerscuba
7/14/2010, 11:09 AM
I regularly get called out to homes by people who are having minor issues controlling or using their tv's and audio equipment. I know most of you here are pretty well versed in how to use your equipment but IF you had something that you wanted resolved with regard to the use of your A/V equipment, What would it be?

( the reason I am asking is that with the onset of WIFI, internet streaming video, 3-d, hdmi etc....... a lot of people just don't understand how to use these things and I am thinking it may be a nice service to advertise. Something like a "Home Theater" tune up for like 79.00 bucks. Any construction thoughts?
TIACords, cords, cords. I simply don't have the touch to effectively make my system look good.

Boomer.....
7/14/2010, 11:11 AM

TIA

Weren't you anti-HDMI? I thought you already had a program online to guide you through hooking up a home theater system?

badger
7/14/2010, 11:24 AM
I am in tune with all of the techno craziness, but my parents and my grandmother-in-law all needed help and occasionally still need help. If you wanted to advertise your own little "Geek squad" service a la Best Buy, here's some real winners:

1- Setup of any new equipment to comply with old equipment.

This might seem straight forward, but my parents did not ever think about the audio/video connections through the years of having a cable-to-vcr-to-tv connection. Those little yellow, white and red knobs stayed empty all that time, and on many older televisions, there weren't any audio/video connections.

2- Instruction on new equipment

Tell them which remotes go with which equipment. I would have to bite my tongue to not laugh every time dad would walk into the room to change the channel we were all watching with the wrong remote. See, he did this for as long as I can remember (and it was annoying then too) but couldn't do it with the new DVR system, because he didn't realize the concept of a universal remote that renders the TV-specific remote useless :D

3- Programming your new equipment.

Sure, setting the clock is fun, but if people have a DVR, they probably want to know how to record their favorite programs, pause and rewind the most awesome Sooner highlights (or in my case, Chase McBooger pouting on the Gatorade tub after getting Loft0wn3d repeatedly). Show them step-by-step. Print out instructions. Watch them as they fail a few times and correct them. Be patient.

4- Recommend new equipment or services

Especially if it saves them money and time, people will appreciate it. If one remote is easier to manage than 20, recommend a universal one that doesn't further complicate the situation. If a surge protector will save their new $2,000 television from the next Oklahoma lightning storm for less than $20, tell them to get it all plugged into one as soon as possible and check to make sure it's on occasionally.

True story: I was sleeping in one morning past 7 a.m. because I had worked the annoyance shift at Lowe's the night before, to wake up around 7 to parents yelping "The computer mouse isn't working!" I groggily reply back that they need to get a mouse pad. They ask how much a mouse pad costs and where to get one. I realize that I wasn't going to get any more sleep, so I disconnected the mouse, reconnected it, holy sh!t it works, go back to bed.

Realize that you are working with a lot of "The computer mouse doesn't work!" people. Realize that "Get a mouse pad" will not be taken as jokes, but seriously... not that I am endorsing teasing the no-tech generation :D

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 11:39 AM

TIA

Making sure that there's no IP conflicts on the wireless network. If you have several WiFi products in your home theater, it sometimes becomes a problem.

Setting up delays on the universal remote so that HDMI handshake issues don't crop up.

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 11:42 AM
Why does that little light blink when I click the clicker too much? Then everything stops and comes back after a few seconds. Darndest thing...

belch

My Opinion Matters
7/14/2010, 12:04 PM
How come I can't find any good movies on HD-DVD anymore? Or Beta?

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 12:08 PM
Weren't you anti-HDMI? I thought you already had a program online to guide you through hooking up a home theater system?

I did and still do, The industry has totally adopted it. While it is easier, there are still multitude of problems, one of the reasons you have to update your blu ray players all the time is because of copy protection issues that are not able to be implemented if analog cables are used. Then there is the new 1.4 HDMI standard and you all know the costs. I still don't like it but never under estimate the industry to shoot itself in the foot much like the music industry did.

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I was looking for.

It would be fun to advertise "We fix Geek Squad installations" (which we do).

badger
7/14/2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I was looking for.

It would be fun to advertise "We fix Geek Squad installations" (which we do).

That'd be awesome - like that clever ad where a cheap Walmart barber moves in next door to an established barber advertising $5 haircuts. The next shot has the established barber with a sign our front saying "We fix $5 haircuts"

:D

delhalew
7/14/2010, 12:36 PM
Cables are the bane of modern existance.

My Opinion Matters
7/14/2010, 12:42 PM
Cables are the bane of modern existance.

I thought the bane of modern existence was Mexicans?

Lott's Bandana
7/14/2010, 01:21 PM
I still have to use 4 separate remote controls in the course of one day.

PS3
42" LED
54" RP
Stereo Audio

At least the remotes don't have cords. :O

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 01:27 PM
I need a geek right now. I've got one of the Bose home theater set-ups, and still don't know how to adjust bass, treble, etc. with the damn thing. I have managed to figure out how to use my satellite remote for the satellite and TV (so at least I'm smarter than Lott's Bandana), and the Bose remote for the audio, but I can't figure out how to adjust bass/treble. Not a big deal - unless I'm watching Paladia or one of the music channels and I feel like rocking out.

soonerscuba
7/14/2010, 01:44 PM
I still have to use 4 separate remote controls in the course of one day.

PS3
42" LED
54" RP
Stereo Audio

At least the remotes don't have cords. :OHarmony remote. Swallow hard and shell the cash, but you use one idiot-proof remote for everything.

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 01:48 PM
How hard do you have to swallow?

soonerscuba
7/14/2010, 01:50 PM
How hard do you have to swallow?Hard enough to get $300, so it kinda depends on what part of town you are in.

Lott's Bandana
7/14/2010, 01:53 PM
Hard enough to get $300, so it kinda depends on what part of town you are in.

Wow. I think I'll keep my family of remotes and use the $300 on smart lessons!

85Sooner
Harmony remote. Swallow hard and shell the cash, but you use one idiot-proof remote for everything.

Harmonys are nice but can be complicated. Try Universals line. The mx350 is about 175 and will do just about anything you want, easy to program and use. No computer needed.

(sometimes its not the buttons we use that cause the problems, its the buttons we don't use, so don't clone a manufacturers remote or you will get all the bad buttons. Just copy the buttons you use.)

badger
I really think you have a market for this type of techie-know how, 85. It really amazes me to think on how the greatest generation and their gen-x just completely skipped computers, cell phones, and high def for so long that they are completely off the learning curb and wonder why they aren't selling VHS anymore... why their bunny ears on the TV had to be phased out in favor of the digital age... why nobody has a land line anymore.

It took me ordering mom Three Stooges and Colombo DVDs to get my parents to finally try to learn about the magic of DVD... and right around the time we're all upgrading to blu-ray, heh. Hopefully DVD will be around for at least 10 years, because I just don't see how I can convince them to upgrade to $30 discs when there's $10 discs out now :D

Oh... and they're still on dial-up. When I can't reach them by phone, it's because dad's on the internet or dad's taking a nap and took the phone off the hook :rolleyes:

Boomer.....
7/14/2010, 01:54 PM
You can find Harmony Ones for around $150 online.

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 02:00 PM
Wow. I think I'll keep my family of remotes and use the $300 on smart lessons!

I don't remember how much I paid for my Harmony remote, but I know I got it back in like 2006 and it's still working great. 85 says that some people find it hard to program, but I can't think of anything easier to program than just hooking it up to the computer and telling it what you own.

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but what if you're like me and don't own a ****ing computer?

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 02:06 PM
Then the Harmony's not really for you. :D

Then again, I told you not to buy the Bose in the first place, and you didn't listen then...

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 02:10 PM
You know what I really hate? Guys who go "I told ya so...."

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 02:10 PM
:D

sooner_born_1960
7/14/2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, but what if you're like me and don't own a ****ing computer?
Program the remote at work?

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 02:17 PM
Program the remote at work?

Genius. This is why you make the big bucks.

soonerinabilene
7/14/2010, 02:38 PM
what about antenna configuration? get someones rabbit ears set up to where they dont have to adjust them to watch cbs instaed of abc.

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 04:10 PM
Then the Harmony's not really for you. :D

Then again, I told you not to buy the Bose in the first place, and you didn't listen then...

Yeah, if you have and know how to use the computer then the harmony works but there are alot of folks who are scared of email.

CC, you need to let me hook you up while I still get discounts.

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 04:10 PM
what about antenna configuration? get someones rabbit ears set up to where they dont have to adjust them to watch cbs instaed of abc.

Try the Square shooter from Wineguard. about 99.00 for the amplified version. That should solve your problem.

CrimsonJim
7/14/2010, 04:22 PM
I don't remember how much I paid for my Harmony remote, but I know I got it back in like 2006 and it's still working great. 85 says that some people find it hard to program, but I can't think of anything easier to program than just hooking it up to the computer and telling it what you own.

What model is your Harmony remote?

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, if you have and know how to use the computer then the harmony works but there are alot of folks who are scared of email.

CC, you need to let me hook you up while I still get discounts.

Hook me up with what? Instructions? That'll work.

Actually, if somebody made something bigger than my 54" Mitsubishi in LCD (I'm not sold on LED just yet) I'd seriously consider it - as long as I don't have to sell a couple cows to afford it.

jkjsooner
7/14/2010, 04:27 PM
I'd like to know an effective way to explain to my wife that the remove is really 2 remotes in one (or more if enabled). Hit this button and it acts as a TV remote. Hit that button and it controls the cable box.

It seems like such a simple concept yet she just doesn't (or doesn't want to) understand it.

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 04:30 PM
WTF are you doing letting your wife touch the remote? Turn in your man card.

Curly Bill
7/14/2010, 04:34 PM

TIA

My home theater system is not currently hooked up because I didn't feel like messing with it when I move back into my house. Hell yeah, I'd pay $79 to have it done right.

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 04:44 PM
What model is your Harmony remote?

Dunno. When I bought it it was the best one that didn't have RF and it isn't one of them iPad looking things. Maybe an 8108?

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 05:04 PM
Hook me up with what? Instructions? That'll work.

Actually, if somebody made something bigger than my 54" Mitsubishi in LCD (I'm not sold on LED just yet) I'd seriously consider it - as long as I don't have to sell a couple cows to afford it.

Got a 60" Sony LCD that
I can get you for about 2000-2100 plus shipping , no tax.

Maybe if i get up for a game this year , I could help.

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:21 PM
You should explain to people what exactly happens to DLP televisions after a 12-18 months of use. It's annoying when people spend all that money and no one tells them that the bulb will go out.

Also I don't know if this was mentioned but detailed instructions of how to turn everything on and off, also how to change between your cable box, dvd/blu-ray player, audio equipment etc. Like a little booklet or something like that. I swear I've told my family members at least 10 times a piece how to do this and that, finally I had to type it all out in a word document and add pictures with circles drawn around what buttons to push.

OUthunder
7/14/2010, 06:07 PM
How hard do you have to swallow?

I found one on sale for under $100 at Target. Thing works well except for the fact that it doesn't recognize the kids' Wii. Other than that, it is a great remote and worth the price of admission.

Back to OP topic: I'd like professional calibration on the HDTV's to not cost an arm and a leg. $300 is a bit extreme per TV.

sooneron
7/14/2010, 09:51 PM
I found one on sale for under $100 at Target. Thing works well except for the fact that it doesn't recognize the kids' Wii. Other than that, it is a great remote and worth the price of admission.

Back to OP topic: I'd like professional calibration on the HDTV's to not cost an arm and a leg. $300 is a bit extreme per TV.

go to lcdtvbuyingguide.com or plasmatvbuyingguide.com . They review most models and give a decent calibration for most types of viewing. Trust me, video calibration is something I know about.

sooneron
7/14/2010, 09:52 PM
I'm thinking about starting a carpet cleaning business...

SoonerJack
7/15/2010, 08:26 AM
That sounds like $79 well spent.

Oh, and I'm loving the Bravia you sent me, btw.

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 08:52 AM

Isn't the Wii remote Bluetooth? I can understand why both Nintendo and Sony went that route, but it's sure annoying when you're trying to set up your home theater.

On the bright side, Harmony has an adapter to convert the IR signal from the remote to a BT radio signal. So long as you place the adapter near your HT setup, it's pretty much transparent-you'll never notice it's there once it's set up.

Which doesn't help your Wii problem.

yermom
7/15/2010, 09:08 AM
oh really...

my PS2-> PS3 setup was a pain in the ***, and my roommate broke it, and i haven't wanted to mess with it again, so i might look into that

what are the drawbacks on HDMI again?

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2010, 09:19 AM
The problems I've heard with it are:
1. It facilitates DRM. Not an issue for me, but some people have a philosophical objection to DRM.
2. According to some, it allows someone at a central location to determine what you're watching. I'm not sure how that works if it didn't work over the old stuff, since your cable box is still hooked up by coaxial...
3. Handshake problems are a pain in the ***.

yermom
7/15/2010, 10:06 AM
i do hate DRM in general, but i haven't seem to run into any problems...

85Sooner
7/15/2010, 02:03 PM
That sounds like $79 well spent.

Oh, and I'm loving the Bravia you sent me, btw.

Great, I am so glad to hear that.

C&CDean
7/15/2010, 02:22 PM
Is that 60" Sony a Bravia? Is it 1080p?

85Sooner
7/15/2010, 03:56 PM
Is that 60" Sony a Bravia? Is it 1080p?

Yes it is the KDL60EX500 1080p 120hz Bravia 2 engine.