PDA

View Full Version : In Light of Daryl Hunt and others...

SunnySooner
7/14/2010, 07:34 AM
Guys, it's a pain in the beehind, I know, but a simple blood test can tell if you are at a high risk for heart attack. I just went thru this a few months ago with a dearly loved family member, he was a little overweight, early 60's, massive heart attack. He was lucky to survive, and they found another blockage in his leg that could have caused death or to some even worse, a stroke, leaving him alive but helpless. Think about the next 25 years dependent on someone for your every need, no matter how personal or intimate.

High cholesterol can run in your family, you don't have to be overweight or very old, Daryl was only 53, Ricky Bryant last year only in his 40's. In fact, the younger you are, the more likely you will die from an attack.

I know most men would rather watch a 6 hour marathon of Project Runway than go to the Dr., but for the sake of those that love you, think about getting a quick check-up, ESPECIALLY if you smoke. Women can have heart disease too, but we tend to go to the Dr. more for other junk, just mention it while you're there, especially if there's heart disease in your family.

Sermon over, carry on with the normal nonsense and tomfoolery.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/14/2010, 07:45 AM
Good Advice, Sunny.

tulsaoilerfan
7/14/2010, 08:50 AM
Agreed; i found out i had high cholesterol about 5 years ago and have been on meds since; it's controlled out pretty well as long as i take the meds on a semi regular basis

C&CDean
7/14/2010, 09:02 AM
I have found that diet and exercise will control cholesterol/triglycerides better than the drugs - if you're really willing to get after it.

In January, I was up to 267. My cholesterol was 278, and my triglycerides were over 600. HDL/LDL was all ****ed up too.

I went back to my old modified South Beach, and decided to seriously get after the gym work. I do one-hour of cardio M-W-F and about an hour of weights, and I do 1 1/2 hours of cardio and abs on T-Th. I work on the farm in the evenings and weekends.

I'm at 230lbs, my cholesterol was 182 last Wednesday, and triglycerides were 100. I'm wearing pants I haven't worn in 15 years. I'm also finding I'm stronger (in terms of weight lifting) than I was when I was 30. I've also noticed my weight loss has stopped (and I've even gained a couple pounds), but I'm still losing waist. I still have a goal of 220lbs, but I probably won't get there with the amount of weight work I do.

Cheating father time baby.

I saw a t-shirt the other day a guy was wearing at the gym. On the back it had a great slogan - "The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret. Your choice."

SunnySooner
8/5/2010, 07:18 AM
Just happened again in my family over the weekend, my uncle "pulled a muscle" in his left arm working in the garden. My cousin, his daughter the nurse, dive-tackled him and drug him kicking and screaming to the ER, where his "pulled muscle" turned out to be 3 arteries with close to 98% blockages. Many hours of stents and roto-rootering some smaller arteries later, he's fine, but he EASILY could have keeled over face first right there in the okra patch. No prior symptoms, not a smoker, rarely if ever drinks, and not hugely overweight, just that nice round gut that sits so well on top of your belt buckle.

You know who you are, you're not 19 anymore, and there are people who care about you, so GIT-R-DONE!!! Now, dammit!! Football season is almost here, checking out in the middle of double overtime during the RRS because your weak heart just couldn't handle it will suck for everyone!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo,

Sunny

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 08:36 AM
227 at the gym yesterday. Still pushing for 220...

SunnySooner
8/5/2010, 09:37 AM
GO DEAN!!!!!!!!

I know it's hard, but it's worth it, and I'm sure your family will be glad you worked so hard to have more time with them. You gotta be around to watch and laugh as your grandkids with the funky names put their parents thru teenage hell!

GOOD JORB, KEEP IT GOING!!!! Post some pics of your sexy new skinny-ness in a new SMALLER sized Sooner shirt this fall, you'll be an inspiration to millions. ;) :D :hot: :hot: :hot:

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 09:44 AM
Somebody else will have to post the pics - maybe from a tailgate? I may be healthier, but I still suck at the innerwebs.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 10:22 AM
I've got some pics of you and johnny mack I could share

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 02:08 PM
Point of View?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:33 PM
I'd have to say you and JM's matching tramp stamps are lovely

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 02:39 PM
That's what I thought you were saying, but you really shouldn't try to speak while performing the analinguis maximus.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:45 PM
thats the last time I believe your theory of being the best way to check a prostate

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 02:50 PM
BTW, what does a prostate taste like?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:52 PM
**** AND gummy bears

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 02:55 PM
Man, Sunny is gonna be pissed you ****ed up her thread.

gummy bears? really? cool.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry Sunny I'll get it back on track..

Get yo blood checked byotches

stoopified
8/5/2010, 03:17 PM
I'm getting a heart scan.

CobraKai
8/5/2010, 03:32 PM
Diet and exercise does not work for everyone. In many cases your cholesterol is genetic. My dad was a marathon runner who never ate fast food and he had high cholesterol. Exercise and a diet low in sat fat will definitely help, but if you are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol you may also need statins. Also, if it is more convenient that calling your doctor, you can donate blood at OBI. They offer a free screening as part of the donation process.

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 04:19 PM
Diet and exercise does not work for everyone. In many cases your cholesterol is genetic. My dad was a marathon runner who never ate fast food and he had high cholesterol. Exercise and a diet low in sat fat will definitely help, but if you are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol you may also need statins. Also, if it is more convenient that calling your doctor, you can donate blood at OBI. They offer a free screening as part of the donation process.

Diet and exercise helps everyone. I know some marathon runners who eat tons of carbs and have high cholesterol. Now will dieting and exercise bring everyone down to the appropriate levels? Probably not. But when I see the drug companies telling us this in advertisements, then I see actual results on myself, I'm not sure I'm buying what they're selling.

In my case, I dropped my cholesterol over 100 points and adjusted my hdl/ldl and triglycerides to very acceptable levels the hard way, and it worked for me. I dropped them some with exercise. I dropped them a lot when I combined it with a diet rich in greens, and low in fat and carbs. I only drink water, whiskey, and a non-caffeine diet soda once or twice a week.

But then again, I'm more disciplined than most and realize a pill is a lot easier.

CobraKai
8/5/2010, 07:06 PM
Diet and exercise helps everyone. I know some marathon runners who eat tons of carbs and have high cholesterol. Now will dieting and exercise bring everyone down to the appropriate levels? Probably not. But when I see the drug companies telling us this in advertisements, then I see actual results on myself, I'm not sure I'm buying what they're selling.

In my case, I dropped my cholesterol over 100 points and adjusted my hdl/ldl and triglycerides to very acceptable levels the hard way, and it worked for me. I dropped them some with exercise. I dropped them a lot when I combined it with a diet rich in greens, and low in fat and carbs. I only drink water, whiskey, and a non-caffeine diet soda once or twice a week.

But then again, I'm more disciplined than most and realize a pill is a lot easier.

Diet and exercise is definitely the place to start. That works for me. Just saying that there are some, like my dad, who needed more. I'm not a big fan of taking unnecessary medication.