PDA

View Full Version : All things considered...

Collier11
7/12/2010, 02:28 PM
Starting Oline which likely still isnt SET, tough schedule, coming off another season where we played like crap on the road, etc...

What are you expecting this season? I think 10-2 this season with a possibility of an 11 win regular season if we catch some breaks. I still figure us to be playing for the Big 12 title at 10-2.

What would you consider a disappointment? Anything worse than a 9-3 regular season would be unacceptable

Tulsa_Fireman
7/12/2010, 02:34 PM
What would you consider a disappointment?

Lindsey Lohan.

Collier11
7/12/2010, 02:36 PM
Was she ever relevant enough to be considered a disappointment? Seriously, the only thing impressive about her are those fun bags

SoonerDomiNation
7/12/2010, 03:01 PM
Collier who do you think would be our 2 loses? Im thinkin maybe florida state (although it is at home and we all know how we play at home) but they still kinda scare me a little. texas is well texas and you never know about that one. Cinncy has my attention on the road and im going to that one although i have no idea what their going to be like this year. So im with you 10-2 but hoping for number 8.

olevetonahill
7/12/2010, 03:02 PM
Anything less than #8
jes sayin

Curly Bill
7/12/2010, 03:08 PM
Expecting 9-3, maybe 10-2

Less than 10 wins would be disappointing, so yeah I know: I'm kinda predicting disappointment.

I just don't have total faith that this OL will be good enough. I'm not 100% convinced that Landry will be consistently good enough, beyond Broyles I'm not convinced any of the WR's will get it done, though I am excited about the young guys like Stills, who's gonna step up at TE? How will the secondary be, and I still don't have faith in the OC and DC to avoid the meltdowns they seem to experience on an occassional basis.

Yeah I know: I'm definitely not a sunshine pumper. I just think there are lots of questions that face this team.

the_ouskull
7/12/2010, 03:12 PM
Was she ever relevant enough to be considered a disappointment? Seriously, the only thing impressive about her are those fun bags

Yes, she was. And few bags were (potentially) quite as much fun as hers, sir. Give credit where credit is due. Then she got all, you know... cracky.

the_ouskull

Sooner04
7/12/2010, 03:23 PM
Our QB situation scares me to death.

Seriously.

badger
7/12/2010, 03:34 PM
Our QB situation scares me to death.

Seriously.

I'm sure it scares a lot of teams after the way some QB's had close calls last season, or just got their seasons ended.

The top three ESPN-approved QB's last season - Sammie, Colt and Teebz - all had to deal with big hits that took them out of the game, some longer than others, some games more important than others.

That being said, I'm sure the O-line is told how important their job is every day and I think they'll do well this coming season.

NormanPride
7/12/2010, 04:01 PM
10-2 would be nice. Cincy on the road will be tough, as will Texas obviously. I'm predicting another 2002 type season where we start strong until people get enough film on our young corners and LBs.

htownsooner7
7/12/2010, 04:35 PM
I don't know exactly how to answer this questions, so I think its a good one. Looking at the likely odds, I see only one game where we aren't favored by at least a touchdown, and that's Texas where I expect a pick em line. I expect us to be favored in between 9 and 13 against FSU at home and by about the same against Cincy on the road. After we play the whorns the lines are very difficult to anticipate because they will be largely dictated by how everyone else has performed through the first half of the season. That being said, I expect to be favored by double digits at Mizzou and at ATM. So, with that windup, if we lose more than 1 game, I'll be disappointed. That may be setting the bar too high but I think losing to FSU, Cincy, Mizzou or ATM will be considered fairly major upsets and I have a hard time accepting when OU loses major upsets.

yermom
7/12/2010, 04:58 PM
Dallas and Stillwater are always a toss up

the ball has to bounce the wrong way up there again at some point.

Mizzou could be tough. we didn't really have an easy time the last few times we were there

i get a bit nervous about Collie Station too. their QB isn't bad

i don't really know what to expect in Cincy, or against FSU, but at least that one is at home

i feel better about Landry than i did about Bomar going into 2006, and i think he's at least got the arm to throw it down-field when needed. just needs better judgement, and some more time

i don't really see a reason we should lose any games at this point, barring something stupid happening again

PalmBeachSooner
7/12/2010, 05:11 PM
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

It seems like this season will be a real crap shoot. There are several questions surrounding the team heading into the season, OL, QB, secondary and maybe DL depending on whether Taylor is 100%. I'm not too worried about our OOC schedule. I think we will handle FSU. They have serious defensive issues and while their offense is capable and Ponder is already being pimped to be a Heisman candidate I think we will make it difficult for them at Norman.

I'd like to think we can beat UT but until we do who knows. We were very close to winning last season and with a little better execution in the kicking game we do win. While they should take a small step backwards we should be taking a big step forward.

I'm not convinced Mizzou will be a problem even though the game is at their place. A&M could turn into a shootout. Their offfense will be very good but I like our defense and they will have to shutdown OU. That will be difficult.

So I believe we can win every game on the schedule and except for maybe Texas we should be favorites in very game.

We just need a little luck, stay healthy and have some players step up.

oumartin
7/12/2010, 05:18 PM
undefeated. count on it!

and Lindsay Lohan can hang out at my house during after she gets outta the pokey

badger
7/12/2010, 05:27 PM
I'd like to think we can beat UT but until we do who knows. We were very close to winning last season and with a little better execution in the kicking game we do win. While they should take a small step backwards we should be taking a big step forward.
If memory serves correctly, in the last three times UT won, we led in the fourth quarter, or at least the second half... just not the conclusion of either. Triple argh.

I'm not convinced Mizzou will be a problem even though the game is at their place. A&M could turn into a shootout. Their offfense will be very good but I like our defense and they will have to shutdown OU. That will be difficult.
Mizzou is always a problem at their house, even if their team sucks and the coaches try unsuccessfully to make Brad Smith a pocket passer and not a VY scrambler. A&M really, really wants to beat us, and their house is impossible to play in (yet we keep winning since RC's ouster, lol)

So I believe we can win every game on the schedule and except for maybe Texas we should be favorites in very game.
I am sick of being favorites in everything. Why can't the gamblers bet on the other team for once? We do better when we're not favored :(

Collier11
7/12/2010, 05:51 PM
Collier who do you think would be our 2 loses? Im thinkin maybe florida state (although it is at home and we all know how we play at home) but they still kinda scare me a little. texas is well texas and you never know about that one. Cinncy has my attention on the road and im going to that one although i have no idea what their going to be like this year. So im with you 10-2 but hoping for number 8.

Not really predicting specific games but at Cincy, at A&M and at Mizzou all scare me. I think this is the year we beat ut again and we arent losing at home most likely.

fadada1
7/12/2010, 06:28 PM
football question turns into a lindsay lohan discussion.

she's batsh*t crazy, sure enough... but i bet she'd be fun to hang with for an evening. you might even bring home the herpes to share with friends.

olevetonahill
7/12/2010, 06:34 PM
football question turns into a lindsay lohan discussion.

she's batsh*t crazy, sure enough... but i bet she'd be fun to hang with for an evening. you might even bring home the herpes to share with friends.

C11, Make sure to swing by and pick her up fer the Ho-Down :D :hot:

ndpruitt03
7/12/2010, 06:45 PM
I think we should be the best team in the Big 12 South if not the best team in the Big 12. Texas loses a lot more than us on both sides of the ball. OSU loses a ton on offense and some on defense too. We return with guys at experience all on our offense and defense. We have probably the best WR in the conference, and the best defense in the conference. I don't see more than 1 loss on the schedule. We should be favored in every game.

goingoneight
7/12/2010, 07:11 PM
Even under ideal conditions (like having a 2008 and/or 2004-kinda team), I've found predicting the Sooners season is a total crapshoot. OUr coaching staff is top 5, so you expect good things... but it's just so hard when you have to expect the unexpected (injuries) and count on at least one game a year where the team might overlook someone (2009 Tech, 2007 Colorado and WVU, 2006 Texas and Boise State come to mind when it comes to games that are the difference between the National Championship game and just another good season).

It's so weird... like if this happens:

We rout and shut out USU, we win a second-half battle against FSU, we throttle Air Force, We go into Cincinnati with a full head of steam and BAM-- something happens and OUr backs are against a wall. Then, it's a "who knows" situation.

2007 displayed the two things we've struggled with the most in recent years. Overlooking teams and catching bad breaks at even worse times (like losing Sam and DeMarco in a road game).

So, if I can be guaranteed a healthy Sooners team in 2010, I have high expectations. This young group had plenty of humble beginnings a year ago, so I doubt they'll just lay down and die in four or five games again.

VA Sooner
7/12/2010, 08:30 PM
11-1 or 12-0.

The big trap game is Texas A&M. Loaded on offense and running under the radar. At Texas A&M 11/6/10. Right after Colorado comes to Norman so may be getting a little complacent... and right before Texas Tech, a bone to pick and issues to settle. Stompin' in the stadium again this year? A friendly welcome for Tuberville to the Big 12/10/X/whatever.

JLEW1818
7/12/2010, 08:59 PM
we won't lose at home

=6 wins.

@Cincy
Texas
@Missouri
@tamu
@baylor
@okie st.

Big 12 Championship. (we wont lose if we make it, guaranteed, testicles on the line)

take your pick of losses

Jerrod Johnson is a great QB, so is the tall Missouri fag.

but i mean we beat Chase Daniel in Missouri.

tamu scares me a lil.

Iam4OUru
7/12/2010, 09:10 PM
Just for old time sake.............

2010 Big XII Championship
December 4, 2010
Dallas Cowboys Stadium
Arlington, TX

1. Oklahoma (12-0)
2. Nebraska (12-0)

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
7/12/2010, 09:13 PM
2+ loss texas? me like

Iam4OUru
7/12/2010, 09:16 PM
2+ loss texas? me like

:)

PLaw
7/12/2010, 09:50 PM
As a Sooner, I'm expecting a national championship. Anything less, is well, less. This is OKLAHOMA and in late November we expect to be in a position to be playing for a National Championship in come January. As Barry has said, beat Texas, beat Nebraska, and then play for a national championship in the OB.

A disappointing season will be losing to Texas. 12-1, with a loss to Texas will be a disappointment.

OKLAHOMA where conference championships are the norm and national championships are the goal.

PREDICTION: 12-1, Big XII Champs, win Fiesta bowl.

BOOMER Freakin' SOONER

TXBOOMER
7/12/2010, 09:57 PM
I think we are gonna get it done this year. We are due a couple of breaks. I am calling for # 8.

MiccoMacey
7/12/2010, 10:11 PM
Hard to predict.

This team is a complete enigma. Very possibly a NC type team on one end of the spectrum, and a 9-10 win team on the other. I honestly don't see us winning them all...too many potholes to stumble on.

Florida State scares me. If this were in Tallahassee, I'd call for a Sooner loss.

Missouri scares me. Solid QB coming off a rebuilding year where they went 8-5, returns almost their entire team it seems, and it's their homecoming. If I were going to predict a loss, it'd be this one.

Texas has tons of talent, but so do we and ours is more battle-tested. I'm less scared of them than I've ever been, which scares me. Still, I just can't see losing to them.

Cincinnati only scares me because it's a road game. They lost their starting QB, their entire defense, their WR, and their coach. If we were playing them in Norman, we win by three or four touchdowns, easy.

A&M is probably the next toughest conference game, but they don't scare me (even if it is in College Station).

If we lose any, it'll be to the the above teams. You tell me how many we lose, and I'll tell you which ones. Can't see us losing them all. Probably two at the most. As long as one of them isn't Texas, we rematch with Missouri in the B12 CCG.

oudavid1
7/12/2010, 10:12 PM
lets take it the way everyone else takes it, one game at a time. September 4th, gotta get ready for Utah State

BoulderSooner79
7/12/2010, 11:39 PM
This team will be more predictable than last year. Solid with more depth to withstand injuries. Talent is more distributed. No offense to LJ, but the drop-off from LJ to Drew Allen or Blake Bell if LJ should get dinged will not nearly be the drop-off from Heisman Sam to never-taken-a-college snap LJ. I see 9-10 wins if they just play consistently. I think they are a "one year away" squad and sometimes those teams can have that special year and peak early. Can't say which games they lose, but UT + many of the road games are all tough; just matter of odds.

I'll be disappointed if we get challenged in the 2nd half of a game and don't respond and play our best. I haven't seen that since the '07 season (okay, '08 OSU game, but their defense was really bad).

prrriiide
7/12/2010, 11:50 PM
I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I looking at the 2-deep, I like what I see. The OL has a TON more experience and maturity than they did last year (even before the injuries). How good must Stephenson be playing if Jones (All-BigXII Hon. mention last year) is listed as his back-up? The only guy with more knockdowns than Good last year was drafted 4th overall. Habern had 741 snaps before going down vs. Taco Tech. If Brandon got the jitters out of his system, he looks very good.

I think our line is going to be one of the best in the conference and one of the better ones in the country. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna with crimson-colored glasses. But these guys have been getting kicked in the jimmy for nearly a year over last season's performance, and I think they have a drive to prove the nay-sayers wrong. Eveery one of the OLmen is a blue-chip player. Every one. They have the talent in spades, and now they have the motivation. Nothing motivates like personal aspersions, and these guys have been up to their necks in them.

At QB, Landry showed flashes of brilliance. The games where he looked like a freshman QB, he was running for his life. I think he's going to sit in the front row at the Downtown Athletic Club at some point before he graduates. Good chance he makes it up on stage. The kid is good. Damned good. Youthful indiscretions in a few games last year don't change the fact that he will be the continuation of an increasingly long line of great QBs from Oklahoma.

This team reminds me a LOT of the 2003 team. Coming off of a sub-par season, questions at OL, QB and WR. But the thing you can't dismiss is that most of these guys went through a hell season last year. You can't underestimate the team-building that a season of adversity creates. And it's that sense of team that I think wins OU #8 this year.

Leroy Lizard
7/13/2010, 02:29 AM
OU will lose four games this year.

:D

gaylordfan1
7/13/2010, 08:12 AM
I can't even begin to think of our final record. I think I need to see us play a couple of good teams to start gloating about how good we are. It's too early. I think we will be good. I just don't know if we will bring it all together when the game is on the line. I will make that decision after Texas.

swardboy
7/13/2010, 08:26 AM
We're heading from year one to year two in young Obi Wan Jones ON THE FIELD development. He set freshman records last year despite not playing the full schedule. I think he'll vastly improve on the interception problem.

I say his improvements overcome our weaknesses IF proper play-calling is practiced....oh, wait.....

C&CDean
7/13/2010, 08:42 AM
0-12. Fire Vulnerables. Fire Wilson. Fire Stoops.

Not really, I'm just getting ready for what some of you ****wads will be saying after we win a tight game.

We will do fine with LJ at QB. He's a hell of a lot better than folks give him credit for. If he goes down, we've got some problems.

If we stay healthy, and Miss Karma does her thing (lord knows the bitch owes us after last year's injury fiesta), there's no reason why Stoops & Co. ain't hoisting the crystal football in January. Are there games we could lose? Yup, every damn one of them. Are there games we should lose? Nope. Not a single one.

KantoSooner
7/13/2010, 09:33 AM
^^^^^^This. Especially the last four sentences.

IronHorseSooner
7/13/2010, 10:03 AM
This team is hard to gauge, but has a ton of upside. I, too, believe that we win out at home. As well, Baylor SHOULD be a gimme.

Of the other five (Cincy, *, Mizzou, A&M, and OSU), OSU and Cincy don't scare me as much, because of what they lost, and those teams usually buckle when taking on the Big Boys.

It should be a pick 'em against *, but if were a * fan, I am scared to death of Greg Davis actually having to call a game, versus Colt or VY doing an improv act. Their D will keep them in the game, but I just don't see how they will score more than 14 on us.

Mizzou is talented, but they are another one of those teams that always throws up against the big boys. Again, Pinkel has never beaten us or *, and there is a reason why. I firmly believe that he thinks that he can't beat the big boys.

A&M is the one that I would pick, if I were to say we were to lose one. They have a very talented QB, two good RBs, and three good WRs. They also have a really good defender (Miller), and a good new DC. Furthermore, everytime we have played down there in the Stoops-era with a QB not named Sam Bradford, we have either lost, or just got out with OUr lives. On the flip side, the rest of their D isn't very good, and their OL makes OUrs look like the circa 1990s Dallas Cowboys OL. Also, A&M folks have almost no faith in Mike Sherman to get it done.

Salt City Sooner
7/13/2010, 12:58 PM
This team will be more predictable than last year. Solid with more depth to withstand injuries. Talent is more distributed. No offense to LJ, but the drop-off from LJ to Drew Allen or Blake Bell if LJ should get dinged will not nearly be the drop-off from Heisman Sam to never-taken-a-college snap LJ. I see 9-10 wins if they just play consistently. I think they are a "one year away" squad and sometimes those teams can have that special year and peak early. Can't say which games they lose, but UT + many of the road games are all tough; just matter of odds.

I'll be disappointed if we get challenged in the 2nd half of a game and don't respond and play our best. I haven't seen that since the '07 season (okay, '08 OSU game, but their defense was really bad).

JMO, but the Sun Bowl qualifies in my books, esp. defensively. After going into the locker room up 24-17, Stanford got 3 first downs after halftime, & one of those was due to an OU penalty. The only score they had was after the Broyles fumbled punt.

TXBOOMER
7/13/2010, 12:59 PM
A&M is the one that I would pick, if I were to say we were to lose one. They have a very talented QB, two good RBs, and three good WRs. They also have a really good defender (Miller), and a good new DC. Furthermore, everytime we have played down there in the Stoops-era with a QB not named Sam Bradford, we have either lost, or just got out with OUr lives. On the flip side, the rest of their D isn't very good, and their OL makes OUrs look like the circa 1990s Dallas Cowboys OL. Also, A&M folks have almost no faith in Mike Sherman to get it done.

This one and texass are the scariest games to me. I don't see A&M scoring much but I see us trying to be ultra conservative and not scoring much either. I hate us playing at College Station.

Fraggle145
7/13/2010, 01:07 PM
Dallas and Stillwater are always a toss up

No. Dallas is always a toss up. Not swillwater.

Position Limit
7/13/2010, 01:09 PM
this team is loaded coming in this year. the OL will be fine. a loss to any team would come as a shock to me unless injuries allow it. now our bowl game might be another story. and please stop with the cinncinnati tough game crap. cinncinnati? really?

josh09
7/13/2010, 01:14 PM
If the GOOD Landry Jones comes out and plays the entire season, along with our O-Line being more experienced, Im hoping for at least a Big 12 Championship, maybe 11-1 or even 12-0. But that's a HUGE if, because we all know how bipolar Landry was last year.

goingoneight
7/13/2010, 01:29 PM
this team is loaded coming in this year. the OL will be fine. a loss to any team would come as a shock to me unless injuries allow it. now our bowl game might be another story. and please stop with the cinncinnati tough game crap. cinncinnati? really?

Take OU 2008 out of the equation for a moment.

Back-to-back conference championships and BCS invitations. QB got in time where he looked just as good as any of their other good QBs have been + the running QB thing. It's not in Norman. It could ruin our season.

Cincinatti isn't Utah State, and we've got to go play them in Cincinnati.

If we can lose to Colorado, Boise State, TCU, Les Miles or like we did at Tech last year... we can certainly end up eagerly anticipating who's-who for 2011 late that Saturday night.

TahoeSOONER
7/13/2010, 01:38 PM
Cincy is a trap game. Thank god they travel to Fresno the week before where they'll be pounded by Pat Hill's style of running between the tackles until it works.

Cincy has a good mobile QB that got plenty of experience last year when their starter got hurt and he played REAL WELL.

Nonetheless, there's only one Oklahoma. I'm waiting for them to show up big on the road because it's been a long time since we've dominated people in their house.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/13/2010, 02:52 PM
It's always safe to assume improvement from a Stoops coached team. I have fairly high expectations for this team. While I do not believe them to be unbeatable, I do think they should be good enough to be a favorite contender come September. Honestly..Landry Jones doesn't have to do much. The WRs must prove to be better than the Ryan Broyles show in game time situations. The OL must stay healthy. And the secondary can't give up the big play.

-Don't expect to win a game with a field goal. This could show to be the most detrimental issue with this team in tough away games. (Texas in particular because their defense will be stout)

-Don't expect the defense to be as good or better than last year's squad. That's pretty crimson-colored thinking. We might be deeper, but I don't think we're as talented. We should be in top form by November though. Adrian Taylor not only needs to show that he's healthy, but that he's ready to be in the limelight.

-Expect the running game to take off. The offensive line has to be better at run blocking this year. They can't get any worse. Also expect us to refocus on pass-run balance. DeMarco is a senior and should get a majority of the carries among RBs. Expect him to not split carries (at least not very evenly), even considering his injury plagued career. If he's healthy he should be getting at least 3/4ths of the carries in meaningful times.

-Expect short-yardage situations to be VASTLY improved. I'd be very surprised if we haven't improved in this area. PS DeMarco Murray is the man in short yardage situations..

Barring any major injuries (and even then probably), I'll consider the season disappointing if we lose to Texas. Unless we lose to Texas but win a national championship. Which isn't happening.

I expect us to drop a game at some point in the year. Most teams do. It's just part of the changing landscape of college football. If we lose to a good Cincinnati, A&M, or Mizzou team by a close margin, I am ok with that. Not that I necessarily think all of those teams will be "good". We drop one of those and we still make it to the Big XII championship and probably to the BCS--maybe even the national championship.

If we lose ANY home game, I will be disappointed in the season.

If we drop a game to a team much inferior to us, I will be disappointed in the season.

If we lose two or more conference games I will be disappointed->>if we are not playing in the Big XII championship I will consider the season disappointing.

Toughest games:
Texas. Should be a defensive battle. If it's close, I put the game in DM's hands. I think we're well overdue to hand them a butt whoppin.

A&M. Aggies don't understand why we're petrified of playing them in College Station. It is a textbook trap game. We go in undefeated... they're playing well with a lot on the line... the better team usually wins but you never know. Jerrod Johnson is good, but he's no God. Hopefully our defense is ready for them by this point in the season.

FSU. It's early in the season and we don't really know what we have at this point. They should come in scared ****less, but if they get a lead early, you never know if we can recover..

Missouri. One of the most underrated teams this year. I think they have a legitimate shot at winning the north. Homecoming, etc, they should be pumped. This game is in the mold of the A&M game, but much more meaningless.

The others should be pretty easy wins.

IronHorseSooner
7/13/2010, 02:56 PM
I agree Cincy could be tough, but when faced with the big boys (us and FLA just to name two), they got hammered. The only reason this game could be tough is that it is the first road game of the year, and it is last game before *. If this team comes out and plays with a purpose, it should be a comfortable win, not a blow-out, but comfortable. Again, A&M scares me more than * this year for stated above.

TexasLidig8r
7/13/2010, 03:04 PM

Your OL will be fine?

How do you know this?

Take your expected starting 5 offensive linemen this year.

Now, look back at all of the starting combinations you had last year. How many times did your expected starting line up this year, start as a cohesive unit last year?

Better yet, how many times did your expected starters this year line up in the same positions for more than 2 games last year?

Moreso than any other position, OL needs time to jell, it needs time to work with each other as a cohesive unit. You don't have this.

It's one thing to say, "well, with all the injuries we had last year, we're bound to be better." Whereas on the surface that may seem accurate, there is an overall lack of cohesiveness and lack of depth.

On defense, you're replacing what.. a DE, a great DT, a couple of linebackers, both safeties and a CB? That's a pretty tall order.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/13/2010, 03:08 PM
Your OL will be fine?

How do you know this?

Now, look back at all of the starting combinations you had last year. How many times did your expected starting line up this year, start as a cohesive unit last year?

Better yet, how many times did your expected starters this year line up in the same positions for more than 2 games last year?

Moreso than any other position, OL needs time to jell, it needs time to work with each other as a cohesive unit. You don't have this.

It's one thing to say, "well, with all the injuries we had last year, we're bound to be better." Whereas on the surface that may seem accurate, there is an overall lack of cohesiveness and lack of depth.

On defense, you're replacing what.. a DE, a great DT, a couple of linebackers, both safeties and a CB? That's a pretty tall order.

the OL will be fine if they are healthy. Mark my words.

but i agree with you on the defense. We will struggle.. especially early.

cheezyq
7/13/2010, 03:12 PM
Expecting 9-3, maybe 10-2

Less than 10 wins would be disappointing, so yeah I know: I'm kinda predicting disappointment.

I just don't have total faith that this OL will be good enough. I'm not 100% convinced that Landry will be consistently good enough, beyond Broyles I'm not convinced any of the WR's will get it done, though I am excited about the young guys like Stills, who's gonna step up at TE? How will the secondary be, and I still don't have faith in the OC and DC to avoid the meltdowns they seem to experience on an occassional basis.

Yeah I know: I'm definitely not a sunshine pumper. I just think there are lots of questions that face this team.

I'm solidly in this boat. I would be a bit more confident if we showed a lot more promise on O than we showed last year. But even at the end, we were still inconsistent. While some guys got some valuable playing time, we still lost the top OL in the country. I can't imagine that we'll be stabilized at the OL position, at least for the first few games. Between Jones, Murray, and Broyles, we have a potentially great offense, but everything depends on the OL.

The Venables D is good for at least 1 or 2 major breakdowns each season, and I'm just not sure we have the O to compensate. At this point, 10-win season and a victory over UT is my biggest hope for this year. Anything else above that is gravy. I'll always hope for #8, and I think we have potential, if everything goes right. But this seems more realistic to me, not having seen the team play.

KantoSooner
7/13/2010, 03:30 PM
The Lid is correct that we can't say the Oline will be just fine. On the other hand, it is almost surely going to be better than last year's; if for no other reason than the additional experience. Our D likewise will be questionable until seen on the field. This notwithstanding, the biggest challenge we will face short of the CCG or bowl game will be Texas.

And they replace their entire offense (McCoy and Shipley).

I like our chances in the South. After that, it really depends on who shows for a given game.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/13/2010, 03:33 PM
The Lid is correct that we can't say the Oline will be just fine. On the other hand, it is almost surely going to be better than last year's; if for no other reason than the additional experience. Our D likewise will be questionable until seen on the field. This notwithstanding, the biggest challenge we will face short of the CCG or bowl game will be Texas.

And they replace their entire offense (McCoy and Shipley).

I like our chances in the South. After that, it really depends on who shows for a given game.

Our offensive line will "be fine" against FSU and Cincinnati. By the time we play Texas they will be more than fine.

MiccoMacey
7/13/2010, 03:41 PM
Your OL will be fine?

How do you know this?

We could be worse??!!?? Doubtful.

Agreed...the OLine needs to gel, more than any other unit on the field, and they can only do that with "on-the-field-together" game experience.

However, besides cohesion, you also just need "on-the-field" game experience. We have that more this year than any other year (depth included).

It's one thing to have five brand new OLine who've never played before AND they've never seen the field. That would suck.

But it's not like we're starting from scratch like some are making it out to be. We've got eight (I believe) guys who've started multiple games, and played in multiple more. It won't take near as long for them to gel as you seem to imply (BTW...a pet peeve of mine...people who don't know the correct uses of "imply" and "infer". But I digress).

Besides, shouldn't you be worrying about Texas OLine? After all, they're in the same boat OU is. Except they have one less paddle, and two less life jackets. And they can't swim. And they're in shark-infested waters, where our guys are in a lake or large pond. And their boat is leaking. And it's made of balloon, where ours is made of a sturdy wood. And you guys are carrying broken shards of glass.

Or something like that.

Collier11
7/13/2010, 03:47 PM
Your OL will be fine?

How do you know this?

I would say this, I do think that the OL is the biggest question mark. My confidence would sit with our coaches, last year was a whirl wind of a Crap storm that most teams dont have to deal with.

I have full confidence that if we can stay healthy, IF, our OL will be pretty good next year due to all the unexpected PT our guys got

MiccoMacey
7/13/2010, 03:52 PM
I have full confidence that if we can stay healthy, IF, our OL will be pretty good next year due to all the unexpected PT our guys got

I'd even say Relatively Healthy. We'll take some dings on the OLine like every other team does and we'll still be okay. Especially after last year...I like our depth's experience.

I don't expect for us to go completely without injuries...just not what happened last year.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/13/2010, 04:07 PM
Texas-Alabama is on ESPNU
:pop:

Texas's defense is getting SMOKED
[/bcs smack talk]

goingoneight
7/13/2010, 06:37 PM
I believe the OL is going to be better simply by strength in experience and numbers coming back. I don't have the blinders on that thinks "better" is anywhere close to the 2008 mark. Unfortunately, that's not the standard... it's the goal. Always helps to have a group of four guys who have played four years together as far as the elite lines go.

Landry got the gametime experience most unrealistic fans always clammor about Stoops not giving his young QBs. He's going to be one of the top QBs in the country. Behind him is 2005/7/9 all over again. That is, a BIG unknown.

Everywhere else I see lots of experience and depth. Same goes for all, improvement is expected out of a Stoops team. If you're holding on tightly to your aggy orange security blanket... don't count on 5 losses again. Count on this team being somewhere in the neighborhood of three wins better in 2010. All the right breaks, we could be talking about a return to the biggest stage after a one-year hex. My, oh my, what horrid coaches we have... I mean, we're only bringing back one of the top teams in the country for like the tenth time the last 12 years?

Leroy Lizard
7/13/2010, 08:31 PM
It's always safe to assume improvement from a Stoops coached team.

:confused:

goingoneight
7/13/2010, 08:59 PM
sounds like a pretty clear post, Leroy. Name five players who didn't get better as time went on under Stoops. While you might suggest one or two guys, they're few and far between, so I'll offer some examples.

Nate Hybl 2001 < Nate Hybl 2002
Jason White = 'nuff said
Sam Bradford 2007 < Sam Bradford 2008
Joe Jon Finley, Jermaine Gresham
Duke Robinson, Jon Cooper
Chaney, Iglesias, Johnson, Kelly all progressed very well in time.
Gerald McCoy was just a big guy learning the middle. He was a beast by the time he left.

... just to name a quick few...

Octavian
7/14/2010, 02:06 AM
Utah State = W in Norman

Florida State = W in Norman

Air Force = W in Norman

Cincy @ Bengals Stadium = W in an ugly game in a weird place

RRS = W going away

Iowa State = W in Norman

@ Mizzou = W terrifyingly close...only saved by some bizarre Columbia misfortune that will be added to Tiger lore. We'll call it Sooner Magic...and start to believe.They'll throw it in w/ Little Joe, the 5th Down, and the Bicycle Kick.

Colorado = W in Norman -- the Pride plays "Happy Trails" or "Hit the Road, Jack" or somesuch late in the 4th quarter. Those who aren't on Campus Corner already snicker and wave goodbye

@ A&M = W where the margin of victory is deceivingly large. Texags is a can't-miss Sunday event.

Tech = W in Norman

@ Baylor = W where their students try to get a Ryan Broyles autograph before we leave

@ OSU = W where the margin of victory is deceivingly small

Last Big XII CCG
Nebraska - W With everything on the line one last time, old legends from both sides show up....and watch it end like it has so many times before. Jerry swims in his private Scrooge McDuck vault while plotting how to move (and destroy) the RRS for future generations

BCS NCG
VaTech - W where we beat the undefeated ACC champs and bring another crystal ball to Norman....the entire SEC complains that they could have beaten us if all their teams hadn't punched each other out along the way. We won't care -- #8.

Bob says we did it all in a great way.

prrriiide
7/14/2010, 02:41 AM
Your OL will be fine?

How do you know this?

Ah, Lid...looking at the Sooners through your baby-schidt colored glasses again.

Yeah, why don't we?

All of the starting OL men will be playing their "natural" positions. 4 of the starting 5 have over 2300 game snaps between them from last year. These guys are ELITE athletes. They wouldn't be at Oklahoma if they weren't. They have something to prove, and they're going to prove it.

I'll say the same to you. The answer is ZERO. You lost Ulatoski, Tanner, and Hall. Your starting five have exactly the same number of starts AS A UNIT as ours. Does this mean YOUR line is going to suck big hairy donkey balls? Our line has exactly the same chance to GEL as yours does.

In addition, I think that being forced to play "out of position" like they did is going to be an asset going into the season. These guys know what the rest of the OL is dealing with, because they've been there and done that (exc. Stephenson). Sure, all OL men "know" the other positions. But it's a whole 'nother level of knowledge when you've actually had to PLAY that position in a game situation against BCS talent. I'm sure your Mitchell "knows" the other position's responsibilities and the like. But unless he's actually played a game at L. guard, he won't have the same level of experience as Good, who played at least 3 positions last year, including L. guard.

I've already shown that your lack of cohesiveness argument is 10 pounds of bullschidt in a 5 pound sack. Now - the depth. Again, YOU LOSE.

Your 2-deep:

OT: Poehlmann, So
OT: Mitchell, Sr
OG: Buchanan, So
OG: Walters, Rs Fr
C: Only the starter Snow is listed on the roster as a C.

Our 2-deep:

LT: Jones, Jr
LG: Irwin, Fr
C: Lepak, Sr
RG: Jeffries, Sr
RT: Aladenoye, Rs Fr

Jones, Lepak, and Jeffries saw extensive PT last season at a variety of positions, with 10 starts between them.

On defense, you're replacing what.. a DE

With a DE that's as good or better to play opposite a consensus 1st team pre-season AA and almost certain 1st-rounder.

a great DT

With another great DT. J-Mac isn't McCoy yet, but he's still better than most other DTs in the country.

a couple of linebackers

Helloooo...THUNK THUNK...is this thing on? Any pre-season preview you pick up is talking about how stacked OU is at LB. Box would start for any other team in the country, and he's a back-up. T Lewis is a consensus pre-season AA, R Lewis hits like a freight train, and Tom Wort will be lucky to get out of college without killing someone.

both safeties and a CB? That's a pretty tall order.

Survey sez...X

As a 15-game starter at the position, Carter is a standout free safety. Proctor is a 10-game starter at strong safety, and is a proven quality DB. Nelson started 3 games at boundary CB, and is a ball-hawk - he had an int in each of the 3 games he started. Hurst is the least experienced, but the coaches and anyone that's seen him play this spring are impressed. The bongwhores are the only team in the league with a better across-the-board secondary.

BARRING INJURY - this defense has the potential to be better than last season's.

In summation counselor:

Your argument regarding cohesiveness is a non-starter. The only teams that can make that argument are the teams that have all 5 starters returning from last season. texass certainly does NOT fall into that category. Our line has exactly the same chance to GEL as a unit as the vast majority of other teams in D-1.

The argument that playing out of position last season will have a detrimental effect on the upcoming season is certainly one point of view. However, an equally valid point of view is that the OL men will be better players as a result of the diversification. It certainly will not be the albatross around their necks that you portray.

The defense is literally reloading. The ONLY place where there likely will be a drop-off is at DT. However, the DT position is still better than 90-95 other teams have.

GKeeper316
7/14/2010, 03:45 AM
undefeated. count on it!

and Lindsay Lohan can hang out at my house during after she gets outta the pokey

thats right... sooners go undefeated and win the mnc, beating bama 56-0. lindsay lohan blows the starting o-line after the game.

landry wins heisman. broyles win biletnikoff. the 1st team all americans is just OU. ryan mallet cries.

THINK BIG PEOPLE!

Collier11
7/14/2010, 03:47 AM
THINK BIG PEOPLE!

http://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kirstiealley.jpg

?

GKeeper316
7/14/2010, 04:51 AM
thats just mean

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, why don't we?

All of the starting OL men will be playing their "natural" positions. 4 of the starting 5 have over 2300 game snaps between them from last year. These guys are ELITE athletes. They wouldn't be at Oklahoma if they weren't. They have something to prove, and they're going to prove it.

This statement is a non-starter. Aren't similar athletes at places like Texas, Meatchicken, Ohio State, USC, Florida, Alabama, etc, also elite athletes? Don't they also have something to prove?

I'll say the same to you. The answer is ZERO. You lost Ulatoski, Tanner, and Hall. Your starting five have exactly the same number of starts AS A UNIT as ours. Does this mean YOUR line is going to suck big hairy donkey balls? Our line has exactly the same chance to GEL as yours does.

Pay attention. We are discussing the Ou offensive line here, not Texas. Were we to discuss the Texas offensive line, I would be expressing the same concerns.. i.e, no cohesiveness, requiring time to gel and the uncertainty of how the new line will come together. With Texas, we can say, that Uli, Tanner and Hall were not great athletes by any stretch of the imagination (how many of those 3 were drafted?), but started and played because they learned the strengths and weaknesses of the others and adapted their techniques and action on certain plays accordingly. By all reports, their replacements individually are better athletes, but will they be able to come together? Who knows. (as an aside, I would not be surprised to see 3 losses this year)

In addition, I think that being forced to play "out of position" like they did is going to be an asset going into the season. These guys know what the rest of the OL is dealing with, because they've been there and done that (exc. Stephenson). Sure, all OL men "know" the other positions. But it's a whole 'nother level of knowledge when you've actually had to PLAY that position in a game situation against BCS talent. I'm sure your Mitchell "knows" the other position's responsibilities and the like. But unless he's actually played a game at L. guard, he won't have the same level of experience as Good, who played at least 3 positions last year, including L. guard.

I've already shown that your lack of cohesiveness argument is 10 pounds of bullschidt in a 5 pound sack. Now - the depth. Again, YOU LOSE.

Actually, you haven't at all. It's one thing to play different positions.. it's another to play the same position and adapting and adjusting to the other persons on the line. By way of example, let's say you have a patent infringement case. Who do you want representing you... the attorney with general experience in litigation and some patent expertise... or the attorney who exclusively practices patent litigation?

Your 2-deep:

OT: Poehlmann, So
OT: Mitchell, Sr
OG: Buchanan, So
OG: Walters, Rs Fr
C: Only the starter Snow is listed on the roster as a C.

Poehlmann will only be a spare parts guy. Where are Hix, Huey, Allen?

With another great DT. J-Mac isn't McCoy yet, but he's still better than most other DTs in the country.

Got any firm statistics to back this up? Tackles? Sacks? Tackles for losses? Fumbles caused or recovered? And a comparison to other returning DTs...? uh.. yeah.. didn't think so.

Helloooo...THUNK THUNK...is this thing on? Any pre-season preview you pick up is talking about how stacked OU is at LB. Box would start for any other team in the country, and he's a back-up. T Lewis is a consensus pre-season AA, R Lewis hits like a freight train, and Tom Wort will be lucky to get out of college without killing someone.

Again, more pablum from one with crimson glasses.

As a 15-game starter at the position, Carter is a standout free safety. Proctor is a 10-game starter at strong safety, and is a proven quality DB.

Did they start every game last year? Why not? Were they not good enough to beat out the starters or did the coaches simply make a mistake not starting them?

Nelson started 3 games at boundary CB, and is a ball-hawk - he had an int in each of the 3 games he started. Hurst is the least experienced, but the coaches and anyone that's seen him play this spring are impressed. The bongwhores are the only team in the league with a better across-the-board secondary.

BARRING INJURY - this defense has the potential to be better than last season's.

Potential (def). noun -- You ain't done it yet.

In summation counselor:

Your argument regarding cohesiveness is a non-starter. The only teams that can make that argument are the teams that have all 5 starters returning from last season.

Actually, nothing is further from the truth. Teams that return at least 3 starters from the year before when those players played the vast majority of the time at their positions, have a significant advantage... particularly at left tackle.

texass certainly does NOT fall into that category. Our line has exactly the same chance to GEL as a unit as the vast majority of other teams in D-1.

Again, we are not discussing Texas' line in this post. (and when I did, I very much pointed out the concerns). Yes, your line has the potential to gel.. but... will they? Most on here are saying, "Oh... I'm not concerned about the line at all! YEEHAW.. bring on No. 8!" This year's version of Ou's line isn't putting the fear of God into anyone... look back at your 2008 line for a line deserving of some preseason hype.

The argument that playing out of position last season will have a detrimental effect on the upcoming season is certainly one point of view. However, an equally valid point of view is that the OL men will be better players as a result of the diversification.

Agreed.

It certainly will not be the albatross around their necks that you portray.

A blessing or curse.... time will tell.

The defense is literally reloading. The ONLY place where there likely will be a drop-off is at DT. However, the DT position is still better than 90-95 other teams have.

Time will tell.

Position Limit
7/14/2010, 09:56 AM
good grief, since when is having to learn and play a variety of positions on the line a bad thing? is becoming a more dynamic player now a liability? gotta love how lid completely discounts game experience. now it's all about time to "gel". you're reaching pal. most of the games this team lost last year were by 1 or 2 points. how many times since stoops has been here has there not been massive improvment from one year to the next when returning most of the team?
the big twelve still consist of 2 teams. oklahoma and texas. and ou is at least due to prison rape texas one more time. the florida state game will be great entertainment, and another solid home victory. and the whole country will be watching. who does texas play that weekend? utep, rice or new mexico?

KantoSooner
7/14/2010, 10:15 AM
Rio Padre School for UnWed Mothers.

Not to be disrespected, RPSUM generally gets scored on early, but the defense tightens up considerable by the second half. Texas will have their hands full.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 10:16 AM
good grief, since when is having to learn and play a variety of positions on the line a bad thing? is becoming a more dynamic player now a liability? gotta love how lid completely discounts game experience. now it's all about time to "gel". you're reaching pal. most of the games this team lost last year were by 1 or 2 points. how many times since stoops has been here has there not been massive improvment from one year to the next when returning most of the team?
the big twelve still consist of 2 teams. oklahoma and texas. and ou is at least due to prison rape texas one more time. the florida state game will be great entertainment, and another solid home victory. and the whole country will be watching. who does texas play that weekend? utep, rice or new mexico?

Sweet Blue Jumpin One Eyed Baby Jebus on a Unicycle!!

Flippin hillbillies... you gotta explain everything to 'em!

No, game experience by elite athletes is always a good thing.

The "gelling" remarks was made concerning the offensive line alone. If it was not important and the offensive line was based on talent and athleticism alone, Tanner and Hall would not have started last year on the Texas line. However, it is a factor that the casual hillbilly on here (usually the ones who call for Stoops head after a loss.. see.. this website last year) discount.

As for Florida State.. pulleeze... they were what.. 6 - 6 last year, in a crappy conference. This ain't your daddy's Florida State team. They are a name from the past, and would finish what.. maybe 6th or 7th in the Big 12 this year?

As for "prison raping" Texas.. obviously you haven't kept up with current events. Your heart and soul left when mini-stoops left for the desert. You are a fumble on your 5 yard line from being at the losing end 5 straight times instead of merely 4 out of the last 5 years. This Ou version has lacked the fire and the ability to close out close games for a number of years. Hell.. how many times has Ou come from behind in the 4th quarter to win a big game... any game for that matter? You're the classic front runner.

Position Limit
7/14/2010, 10:51 AM

As for Florida State.. pulleeze... they were what.. 6 - 6 last year, in a crappy conference. This ain't your daddy's Florida State team. They are a name from the past, and would finish what.. maybe 6th or 7th in the Big 12 this year?

i'll ask again, who does texas play that weekend? i'd like to say at least hawaii, but well you know....

gel is something guys from texas put in their hair. i'll ask again, when was the last time stoops has not had most of his team return and not seen massive improvement? there's a reason OU has full ownership of the big 12 and we just rent it out to texas every now and then.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 11:46 AM
i'll ask again, who does texas play that weekend? i'd like to say at least hawaii, but well you know....

gel is something guys from texas put in their hair. i'll ask again, when was the last time stoops has not had most of his team return and not seen massive improvement? there's a reason OU has full ownership of the big 12 and we just rent it out to texas every now and then.

it may be UCLA.

Of course, when we play schools like.. TCU, that's a gimme game.. when you play them.. they're world beaters.

Wake me up when Cincy wins a BCS game.. or hell.. any signficant bowl game.. same for Air Force.

Of course, when the Utahs and Arkansas' bag on us, then "OH MY GOD, we don't schedule anyone!"

Keep up the groupthink though aggy.

Or perhaps it's one of the DII schools.. oh.. wait, that's right, Ou schedules those DII schools.

Most of your team is returning?

You lose your QB (technically), tight end (technically), your best OL, 2 wide receivers, All American DT, a DE, two safeties, a CB, two linebackers... you're losing what.. 16 players who started and/or saw signficant playing time last year and... "most of your team is returning?"

And if you don't think cohesivness along an offensive line is crucially important, you don't know college football Skippy.

Collier11
7/14/2010, 11:51 AM
Disagree about one thing for sure Lid, I think that this seasons FSU would finish about 3rd or 4th in the Big 12, not 6th or 7th. If I have my facts straight, they return their Oline plus a Heisman caliber QB and they always have a good D

Collier11
7/14/2010, 11:58 AM
it may be UCLA.

Of course, when we play schools like.. TCU, that's a gimme game.. when you play them.. they're world beaters.

Wake me up when Cincy wins a BCS game.. or hell.. any signficant bowl game.. same for Air Force.

Of course, when the Utahs and Arkansas' bag on us, then "OH MY GOD, we don't schedule anyone!"

Or perhaps it's one of the DII schools.. oh.. wait, that's right, Ou schedules those DII schools.

You lose your QB (technically), tight end (technically), your best OL, 2 wide receivers, All American DT, a DE, two safeties, a CB, two linebackers... you're losing what.. 16 players who started and/or saw signficant playing time last year and... "most of your team is returning?"

And if you don't think cohesivness along an offensive line is crucially important, you don't know college football Skippy.

Cmon now LID, you know what you are doing here.

We bring back our QB who played in every single game and started 10 I believe. Gresham never hit the field so its like we never had him, and one of the linebackers we lost, while very intelligent, probably couldnt outrun you or I anymore, unfortunately.

So lets take a look at who is back...

QB- 10 starts
RB- Starter for most of his career
WR- Top WR back plus 6 of our top 8
TE- Return 2 of 3 who played alot
OL- Return 6 who started during the year plus the guy who coaches say is the best of em all, he was suspended
DL- Atleast 7 guys who started at some point last season
LB- 2 guys who started at some point last season, 4 guys with alot of experience
S- Both starters back plus Nelson who played S and CB

So if you are being completely honest about it LID, we return a bunch of starters and a ton more who played ALOT!

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 12:34 PM
Disagree about one thing for sure Lid, I think that this seasons FSU would finish about 3rd or 4th in the Big 12, not 6th or 7th. If I have my facts straight, they return their Oline plus a Heisman caliber QB and they always have a good D

1. Texas

1a. Ou

3. Nebbish (?)

4. Sheep luvin aggy

5. Misery - sand aggy

6. Fla State

The Criminoles last year.. ALMOST lost to Jacksonville State! They did lost to USF.

They gave up... 38 to Miami, 28 to Boston College, 49 to Georgia Tech, 42 to N.C. State, 40 to Clemson, 28 to Wake Forest and 37 to Tebus. The held exactly one team to fewer than 10 points.. and that was feckless Jacksonville State.

You're going to mudhole them. They're living off of past glories.

NormanPride
7/14/2010, 12:44 PM
New coach, minimal losses to graduation, and a pretty good O. We'll beat them, but they're no patsy Rice team. ;)

Position Limit
7/14/2010, 01:04 PM
it may be UCLA.

by the way your response reads it sounds like i hit a nerve. ark and utah "bagged" on texas? is that like texas bagging on hawaii? do youself a favor and dont try and rank on ou's non confrence schedule. every year it's got real schools on it. texas is punished because of their clown schedule. your embarrassment of it is all over your post about fsu and cinn. you play poker much? can i play with you?

and now you've switched your vernacular from "gelling" to cohesivness. good lord boy. wow. anything you want to bet that this year ou's offensive line will be improved over last year. how about your life?

an example of an o line that needs gel time and experience would be texas'. documented examples of returning offensive talent that languishes from one year to the next would be that of a mack brown coached player.

good luck.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 01:35 PM
by the way your response reads it sounds like i hit a nerve. ark and utah "bagged" on texas? is that like texas bagging on hawaii? do youself a favor and dont try and rank on ou's non confrence schedule. every year it's got real schools on it. texas is punished because of their clown schedule. your embarrassment of it is all over your post about fsu and cinn. you play poker much? can i play with you?

Any time. Bring some real money though.

and now you've switched your vernacular from "gelling" to cohesivness. good lord boy. wow. anything you want to bet that this year ou's offensive line will be improved over last year. how about your life?

Injuries, lack of depth and talent gaps killed you last year. When you have one guy playing tight end one week and center the next you have issues. In all reasonable likelihood, your OL will be improved if you can avoid injuries just from a consistency point of view alone.

an example of an o line that needs gel time and experience would be texas'. documented examples of returning offensive talent that languishes from one year to the next would be that of a mack brown coached player.

Offensive talent languishing? Like Shipley improving from his injury plagued freshman season to his senior season? Or Quan Cosby? Colt becoming the player he was? Want to go back further? Ok.. how about Vince Young? Or. .. on the defensive side of the ball... care to look at all the Thorpe award winners or Texas' DBs now playing on Sunday? Want more? Ok.. how about Orakpo, going from a skinny kid to all world?

good luck.

You barking up the wrong tree there Sport.

Position Limit
7/14/2010, 01:46 PM
simms, roy williams, all of your running backs etc.. what was the drastic improvement in developing vince young in his 3 years at texas? i'm mos def barking up the right tree. and only in the last few years your defense has gotten to the point of not wasting talent. yes, very recently texas has had a few token offensive players improve year over year. i never said a world about the defense. it's been nails since mushcamp was hired.

MiccoMacey
7/14/2010, 05:06 PM

Leaving that in there just because I like that particular expression.

As for "prison raping" Texas.. obviously you haven't kept up with current events. Your heart and soul left when mini-stoops left for the desert. You are a fumble on your 5 yard line from being at the losing end 5 straight times instead of merely 4 out of the last 5 years.

If we're playing the "we were just a play or two away from winning" card, go re-look at the RRS 2009. And even the 2008 version. We were just as close (or closer in 2009) to winning than you were in 2007.

But I think we both know that sort of thing is beneath us both. The games as ended as they should have (as all games do).

This Ou version has lacked the fire and the ability to close out close games for a number of years. Hell.. how many times has Ou come from behind in the 4th quarter to win a big game... any game for that matter? You're the classic front runner.

You have to be behind in order to come from behind. That doesn't happen very often at either OU or Texas.

If I'm not mistaken, BYU and Miami losses were pretty much caused by the last drive of the game for those teams. We just couldn't HOLD the lead.

And almost the same could be said of OU-Texas last year. Can't remember when you guys scored to go up on us. I know we had a drive or two left before the end of the game, but it seems like it was pretty much maybe the middle of the fourth quarter maybe (and I was there...never really thought we would score against you)

GKeeper316
7/14/2010, 08:08 PM
it may be UCLA.

dude are you seriously trying to talk **** about OU's non conference schedule?

Collier11
7/14/2010, 08:12 PM
texas talkin crap about OUs non conf sched is laughable, they routinely have one of the worst while we routinely have one of the higher ranked ones

GottaHavePride
7/14/2010, 10:19 PM
I expect to crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women.

But we're OU, so I expect that every year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/conan.jpg

NormanPride
7/15/2010, 09:57 AM
I'm telling you guys, we're going to have a 2002 style season. Good offense, stable defense. Then later in the year when people have film on our younger players, we start having trouble.

Sooner04
7/15/2010, 10:54 AM
Everage wasn't young in 2002.

MiccoMacey
7/15/2010, 11:01 AM
I still believe we're a house of cards, just like we were last year.

With Sam et al, we're potential NCs. Remove a piece or two from that puzzle (ok...eighteen or nineteen pieces last year) and we're fighting to be 8-5.

I see the same thing this year, except I don't see us as NC quality (although I admit it isn't 100% out of the realm of possibility.)

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2010, 11:11 AM
I see the same thing this year, except I don't see us as NC quality (although I admit it isn't 100% out of the realm of possibility.)

I agree with you there Micco ole buddy.

However, I also don't believe my Horns are NC quality this year either. Perhaps lower expectations while the younglings settle in to their roles. In some ways, that could make this season more fun and interesting.

Time will tell.

NormanPride
7/15/2010, 11:21 AM
Everage wasn't young in 2002.

No, but his shoulders being shot was a recent thing as I recall. That was also the Bassey year, right? About halfway through the year people figured out that our safeties couldn't cover ****.

Mississippi Sooner
7/15/2010, 11:48 AM
No, but his shoulders being shot was a recent thing as I recall. That was also the Bassey year, right? About halfway through the year people figured out that our safeties couldn't cover ****.

Yep. The Aggies figured it out first. That game still burns me up. Not as much as the one a few weeks later against Miles and the Pokes, though.

NormanPride
7/15/2010, 12:10 PM
That was when people started calling for Mike's head. Of course, he's a god now and nobody would ever admit to calling his defenses "easy to fool". Everyone hated Bassey and nobody said anything about Everage because he hit hard. But he was one of the prime reasons why we got torched in '03 by KSU as well.

Sooner04
7/15/2010, 01:16 PM
When Everage was on his game (Iowa State '02, Air Force '01) he was an absolute monster. But when his head was in the clouds (Missouri '02, eATMe '02, O-State '02) our defense suffered tremendously.

If Everage had been around in the '80s he would've made one hell of a safety. We may never have heard of David Vickers!

ndpruitt03
7/15/2010, 01:19 PM
You show highlight vids of 02 you would think no. 7 was Roy Williams not Brandon Everage. He was amazing that year. He is an example of a guy that should have gone early. Yes he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he would probably be set for life with an NFL contract even if his injuries would have caught up with him like they did at OU.

Collier11
7/15/2010, 03:36 PM
That was when people started calling for Mike's head. Of course, he's a god now and nobody would ever admit to calling his defenses "easy to fool". Everyone hated Bassey and nobody said anything about Everage because he hit hard. But he was one of the prime reasons why we got torched in '03 by KSU as well.

Dont tell OU fans that Mikey had off games :eek: of course we all know that once BV leaves, the 1st game we give up 40 and lose everyone will be wishing he was back and talking about how great he was

stoopified
7/15/2010, 03:54 PM
bewteen 11-2 and 14-0

Collier11
7/15/2010, 03:58 PM
Diff circumstances

Curly Bill
7/15/2010, 08:30 PM
Dont tell OU fans that Mikey had off games :eek: of course we all know that once BV leaves, the 1st game we give up 40 and lose everyone will be wishing he was back and talking about how great he was

Wanna bet?

cheezyq
7/15/2010, 09:52 PM
it may be UCLA.

This is idiotic. DII? You're kidding right? No wonder you're so delusional about schedules. Scheduling is UT's biggest weakness...and strength. It's the biggest reason you lost out on the Big 12 title in 2008. But it's also why you do so well from year to year, and why you have your current run of 10-win seasons. You play pansies in the early season and a) don't get injured, and b) have zero chance at losing...but you aren't challenged at all, either. TBH, I'd rather OU schedule more pansies since there's little benefit to it in the BCS world, unless you're in a 3-way tie with UT. But be realistic. OU schedules better than UT in the recent past and for the foreseeable future as well, and it isn't even close.

We may have lost a few starters, technically or otherwise, but a large amount of players got significant playing time at nearly all the positions last year. The OL will take time to work out the kinks, but again, they all got significant playing time, which should help tremendously in building that chemistry. Regarding the rest of the team, you speak like you're talking to Idaho State or something. OU recruits just as well as UT, especially on defense. While I fully expect the Venables defense to have its 1-2 major breakdown games, there is a lot of evidence to indicate that our defense will be just fine.

Your DII and scheduling comments clearly illustrate your lack of CFB knowledge. Pot, meet Kettle.

UT will be just fine, for the most part, but I contend that UT probably has more significant pieces to replace than OU, specifically with Colt McCoy. Gilbert looked good in his short showcase, but so did Landry Jones during long stretches last year. I imagine Gilbert will experience a similar learning curve, though you won't probably lose as many games as we did last year...unless you deal with similar injury issues (oh, if only karma would play its part). Regardless, I would be more concerned that UT won't live up to its preseason billing than I would OU. It's called regression to the mean. It happens to EVERY team at some point.

:rolleyes:

Collier11
7/15/2010, 09:52 PM
Guarantee it

TexasLidig8r
7/16/2010, 09:46 AM

This is idiotic. DII? You're kidding right? No wonder you're so delusional about schedules. Scheduling is UT's biggest weakness...and strength. It's the biggest reason you lost out on the Big 12 title in 2008. But it's also why you do so well from year to year, and why you have your current run of 10-win seasons. You play pansies in the early season and a) don't get injured, and b) have zero chance at losing...but you aren't challenged at all, either. TBH, I'd rather OU schedule more pansies since there's little benefit to it in the BCS world, unless you're in a 3-way tie with UT. But be realistic. OU schedules better than UT in the recent past and for the foreseeable future as well, and it isn't even close.

Well, let's see the IAA opponents you have played (basically the same as DII)

2009 -- Idaho State
2008 -- Chattanooga Choo Choo

Again.. so when we play TCU they're pansies.. when you play them.. they're world beaters. Got it. Ohio State.. pansies... UCLA.. pansies.. Arkansas.. pansies... Got it.

Certainly, I have no problem admitting Ou has done well in scheduling non-conference opponents. Congratulations. The "aggy like group think" you buy into around here though about UT's scheduling is not supported by facts. But.. don't let a little independent thinking get in your way though.

Further, you would think those difficult non-conference games would prepare you better, would season you for difficult games ahead. However, how many times in the last 5 years has Ou come from behind in the 4th quarter to win? How many times has Ou had its back to the wall or been on the mat... and come out firing, overcame adversity and won? One would think that playing hard non-conference games would instill more heart. There is certainly no denying that when Ou has the lead, they are extremely tough to beat. You are the very essence, the quintessential definition of the front runner. BUT, you get an Ou team down and for the most part, it stays down.

We may have lost a few starters, technically or otherwise, but a large amount of players got significant playing time at nearly all the positions last year. The OL will take time to work out the kinks, but again, they all got significant playing time, which should help tremendously in building that chemistry. Regarding the rest of the team, you speak like you're talking to Idaho State or something. OU recruits just as well as UT, especially on defense. While I fully expect the Venables defense to have its 1-2 major breakdown games, there is a lot of evidence to indicate that our defense will be just fine.

Again, you stated most of your team is returning. I pointed out the fallacy in that statement. Again, I am not saying playing time is a detriment at all. Quite the contrary Watson. And there's no denying your defense won't be fine. Am not saying that at all. There are question marks and holes though.

yermom
7/16/2010, 09:55 AM
you people and your bolding quotes are killing me. just break up the quote tags ;)

i think Stoops has scheduled 3 AA teams the whole time he's been at OU.

it's not TCU that's the issue(they'd been trying to break into the BCS since like 2000), it's more like Rice and UNT. way more common than the tOSU and Arkansas games. OU is generally playing two BCS teams, Texas seems like they might play one

hell, you guys almost lost to UCF a few years ago

NormanPride
7/16/2010, 10:08 AM
lid's obvious trolling amuses me. Continue.

TexasLidig8r
7/16/2010, 10:29 AM
lid's obvious trolling amuses me. Continue.

I'm bored and July is dragggggginngggg...

I hate this time of year... endless mind-numbing, for the most part, irrelevant, insipid basebore game.. after basebore game... after basebore game. For crap's sake. basebore is a year round sport now... training camp in FEBRUARY... basebore season doesn't end until late October - early November... a month of awards being handed out... free agency for a month.. then.. flippin training camp starts. GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad:

So... I'll hook a few just to make things less boring. A new one bites every year. :D

KantoSooner
7/16/2010, 10:48 AM
I'm starting a group whose aim is to rid the world of Baseball AND Cricket simultaneously.
We in North America would then institute a 'B' football league who would start play in March (marked poetically by the sighting of the first robin of spring in Atlanta) and the rest of the planet would have a choice between extending the rugby season, playing soccer year 'round or instituting 'Full Contact Team Swordfighting' (teams of 50 men getting medieval with each other).
You in?

gaylordfan1
7/16/2010, 10:48 AM
and every day...

TexasLidig8r
7/16/2010, 10:53 AM
I'm starting a group whose aim is to rid the world of Baseball AND Cricket simultaneously.
We in North America would then institute a 'B' football league who would start play in March (marked poetically by the sighting of the first robin of spring in Atlanta) and the rest of the planet would have a choice between extending the rugby season, playing soccer year 'round or instituting 'Full Contact Team Swordfighting' (teams of 50 men getting medieval with each other).
You in?

In like Mickey Finn.

NormanPride
7/16/2010, 10:56 AM
You in?

Your fevered rantings intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

KantoSooner
7/16/2010, 11:16 AM
And to think law abiding folk actually buy stuff from me. Regularly. Little do they know <breaks in megalomaniacal laughter>

Mississippi Sooner
7/16/2010, 11:27 AM
Donald Trump would like to buy a team in your new spring league. He said he'll give next year's number one draft pick the biggest contract ever.

NormanPride
7/16/2010, 12:03 PM
Tell that man to eff off.

cheezyq
7/16/2010, 05:06 PM
Well, let's see the IAA opponents you have played (basically the same as DII)

Good for you - you got it right this time. A bit too late to save face, though.

2009 -- Idaho State
2008 -- Chattanooga Choo Choo

C'mon, really? Your annual battle with Rice doesn't count? Every team schedules at least one uber-pansy per year...usually in the first game to tune up before facing REAL foes. UT schedules more weaklings than OU does. Do I really have to do this?

2009 UT = Wyoming (=Idaho State), Rice, UCLA and Florida Atlantic
2009 OU = BYU, Miami, Tulsa, Idaho State
Schedule Conclusion = OU>>>>UT

2008 UT = Florida Atlantic, Rice, UTEP, Arkansas
2009 OU = TCU, Cincinnati, Chattanooga, Washington
Schedule Conclusion (confirmed by BCS) = OU>>UT

2007 UT = Arkansas State (=Chattanooga), TCU, UCF, Rice
2007 OU = North Texas, Miami (FL), Tulsa, Utah State
Schedule Conclusion = Even, though UCF was MUCH harder than UT anticipated and Miami was much weaker than anticipated.

2006 UT = Sam Houston State, Rice (rivalry, much?), Ohio State, North Texas
2006 OU = UAB, Oregon, Washington, Middle Tennesee State
Conclusion = MAYBE a slight edge to UT for the OSU gig, but the rest are complete garbage, and UT KNEW that when scheduling them.

2005 UT = Louisiana Lafayette, Ohio State, Rice
2005 OU = TCU, Tulsa, UCLA
Conclusion = OU>UT - props again for the OSU sched, but again the rest is trash.

I could go on and on. Hands down, OU wins in the scheduling department.

Again.. so when we play TCU they're pansies.. when you play them.. they're world beaters. Got it. Ohio State.. pansies... UCLA.. pansies.. Arkansas.. pansies... Got it.

Geez, not sure where you're getting that idea, but you aren't quoting anyone on here, so it's probably something you imagined in the fog while hanging out with the Bonghorn starters in a huddle. Try tailoring your argument to things people actually say, not your imagination, Lid.

Certainly, I have no problem admitting Ou has done well in scheduling non-conference opponents. Congratulations. The "aggy like group think" you buy into around here though about UT's scheduling is not supported by facts. But.. don't let a little independent thinking get in your way though.

Facts displayed for your viewing pleasure above. But...don't let 5 minutes of research get in the way of your flawed arguments, though.

Further, you would think those difficult non-conference games would prepare you better, would season you for difficult games ahead.

You'd think that, but how would you know when you're playing Rice, Sam Houston State, and Florida Atlantic as a tune up for TCU or Arky? See the SEC argument regarding tough schedules. Sorry, but when you play a bunch of tough teams, AND particularly when you suffer loads of injuries, you won't win them all...no matter how good you are. But if you play wimps all the time, you win. Pretty simple, even for a guy like you.

However, how many times in the last 5 years has Ou come from behind in the 4th quarter to win? How many times has Ou had its back to the wall or been on the mat... and come out firing, overcame adversity and won? One would think that playing hard non-conference games would instill more heart. There is certainly no denying that when Ou has the lead, they are extremely tough to beat. You are the very essence, the quintessential definition of the front runner. BUT, you get an Ou team down and for the most part, it stays down.

I'm not sure how this argument matters at all. Does UT constantly come from behind? No. Why? Because they're a strong team year in and year out. So is OU. I think I'll file this in the Irrelevant and Who Gives a S**t categories.

Again, you stated most of your team is returning. I pointed out the fallacy in that statement. Again, I am not saying playing time is a detriment at all. Quite the contrary Watson. And there's no denying your defense won't be fine. Am not saying that at all. There are question marks and holes though.

I said nothing of the sort, Sherlock. Pay attention to who you're talking to. I merely qualified the "most of your team returning" statement, which was not spoken/written by me. Regardless, you argued semantics, as lawyers often do. I argued content.

:rolleyes:, again.