PDA

View Full Version : 3-D televisions

badger
7/12/2010, 12:33 PM
Anyone interested in one?
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/932182163_EazuQ-L.jpg
Sony issues the following warnings:

* Some people may experience discomfort (such as eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea) while watching 3D video images or playing stereoscopic 3D games on 3D televisions. If you experience such discomfort, you should immediately discontinue use of your television until the discomfort subsides.
* SCEA recommends that all viewers take regular breaks while watching 3D video or playing stereoscopic 3D games. The length and frequency of necessary breaks may vary from person to person. Please take breaks that are long enough to allow any feelings of discomfort to subside. If symptoms persist, consult a doctor.
* The vision of young children (especially those under six years old) is still under development. SCEA recommends that you consult your doctor (such as a pediatrician or eye doctor) before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play stereoscopic 3D games. Adults should supervise young children to ensure they follow the recommendations listed above.

Badger issues the next warnings:

-The televisions are several thousand dollars.
- The glasses cost a few hundred themselves.

We had a sales associate at Best Buy try to send us home with one yesterday. Basically, we learned that the televisions convert 2D programming into 3D programming, they don't broadcast 3D themselves. Also, the glasses must be plugged in or turned on. If you think you can cheat the system by just keeping a plastic pair at your next 3D movie watching experience, game over. The 3D television glasses are the only ones that work with your 3D television... and Sony glasses don't work with other company's televisions, nor do any other company's offer universal acceptance of glasses, or universal glasses. No compatibility with anyone else's stuff.

As today's Penny Arcade cartoon illustrates, to try to view a 3D television without the glasses is to torture your eyes.

As I was being convinced to buy a 3D television (unsuccessfully), we found that it is also eye torture to view a 3D television WITH the glasses. After you take them off, you feel dizzy, your eyes hurt and you might not walk in a straight line for awhile.

Please, someone give the counter argument. I see nothing good with 3D televisions. Why are companies investing so much in a technology that appears to suck so much?

Spray
7/12/2010, 12:37 PM
I just ordered the Samsung LCD 3D-enabled TV this weekend with my AMEX points. Not really interested in the 3D feature, but figured if it was 3D-enabled it had to be a newer model.

I will report back after my eyeballs explode. :)

RacerX
7/12/2010, 12:45 PM
If it's anything like 3d movies then you can't tilt your head or the picture blurs. So no laying on the couch to watch it.

Plus, wearing glasses to watch TV??? This is progress?

SoonerJack
7/12/2010, 01:04 PM
I'm with you, Badger. It seems like a huge (expensive) gimmick.

When I first heard about the 3d tv my thought was "ok, now I can not only lose the remote, I can lose the glasses as well."

Do not want

HBick
7/12/2010, 01:11 PM
If it's anything like 3d movies then you can't tilt your head or the picture blurs. So no laying on the couch to watch it.

Plus, wearing glasses to watch TV??? This is progress?

I think the main difference is the quality of the glasses. You're wearing $150 glasses, and I know that with video games you can tilt your head because some of the things I've read, things would jump out and startle people and when they moved their head, the image was just as clear.

badger
7/12/2010, 01:46 PM
the image was just as clear.

There must be some flaw somewhere, because the image is not exactly clear. However, it might just be because some of this programming is not intended to be 3-D and is getting converted. I do not know, but it is definitely not to-die-for picture quality.

I got a severe headache from Avatar watching in the theatre. I ended up watching half the movie in blurry non-glasses viewing. As uncomfortable as blurry pics were, it was a lot better than headache inducing 3-D

Seriously though... anyone have anything positive to say about this?

homerSimpsonsBrain
7/12/2010, 01:49 PM
I saw one at best buy. It was interesting but I'm not going out of my way to buy one. But keep in mind I still have a 32 in crt tv. So I'm pretty much on the trailing edge of tv technology.

jkjsooner
7/12/2010, 01:58 PM
Well, I don't have binocular vision so it's just an unnecessary hassle and expense to me.

Basically, for anything directly in front of me (within the field of vision of both eyes) my brain picks which image to use. Apparently that means I have no depth perception. I do perceive depth in other ways - most noticeably how things move in relation to each other or in relation to my own movement. (Kinda like a bird bobbles its head for depth perception.) I suppose I can't even imagine what I'm missing since I've never had it.

Luckily, on the TV's you can disable the 3D effect and also if I have the glasses on it will filter one of the two images (depending on which image my brain is taking) so if others are watching it I'm not stuck with a blurry screen.

Badger, one thing you could do next time you get a headache is close one eye and leave the glasses on. It's a pain but it's probably less annoying than watching a blurry screen.

It's my understanding that the glasses essentially have a shutter on them that is in sync with the TV. The TV has two images alternated between frames. One eye gets one image and the other eye gets the other. You see two images w/o the glasses. With glasses, when the images of an object are further apart your brain (but not mine) will see a high variance and will present that to you as being closer. I'm not sure how the blue/red glasses work but I don't think this technology is affected by a tilt of the head.

Edit: Actually on second thought a head tilt should impact it as the image you would expect to see in a real world situation would vary along the axis between your eyes but the screen will still vary the image along the horizontal axis.

badger
7/12/2010, 02:02 PM
Also, in case you're wondering why Best Buy associates are the pushiest, nosiest, most aggressive non-commissioned salespeople in the business, it's an anti-theft technique. A lot of retail giants (including the ones I've worked for) will train associates to combat theft (or "shrinkage" as it is weirdly referred to as) with good customer service (or "annoyance" as NP rightfully refers to it as).

As such, associates will constantly ask if they can help you and stand nearby to help, when in fact they're watching you like a hawk to see if you'll pocket those 3-D glasses. Why would you want to steal 3-D glasses that only work with its brand of television sets that as we've discussed at length how much they suck :D

GottaHavePride
7/12/2010, 04:53 PM
It's my understanding that the glasses essentially have a shutter on them that is in sync with the TV. The TV has two images alternated between frames. One eye gets one image and the other eye gets the other. You see two images w/o the glasses. With glasses, when the images of an object are further apart your brain (but not mine) will see a high variance and will present that to you as being closer. I'm not sure how the blue/red glasses work but I don't think this technology is affected by a tilt of the head.

Edit: Actually on second thought a head tilt should impact it as the image you would expect to see in a real world situation would vary along the axis between your eyes but the screen will still vary the image along the horizontal axis.

Ah, that would be one way to get it to work in a TV set. Movie theaters (and the big Disney park attractions that developed this stuff) use polarized filters on a pair of projectors, and the glasses are similarly polarized to filter the two images.

Crucifax Autumn
7/12/2010, 07:56 PM
I'm waiting for holograms.

delhalew
7/12/2010, 09:03 PM

This. Also, I have no desire for an overpriced crappy tv.
As far as pushy associates, somewhere around the second or third "can I help you" my response changes from "no thank you" to "get stepping *******". I'm a delight:D

Crucifax Autumn
7/12/2010, 09:06 PM
I tell 'em "no thanks, just shoplifting".

HBick
7/12/2010, 10:08 PM
I think anyone considering adopting a 3D television should hold off for 12-18 months. There are numerous issues that can cause a child's eyesight to develop abnormally (depth perception issues) and they recommend not viewing for longer than 2-3 hours at a time. How do you expect the rabid college football fans to only watch 2-3 hours of 3D television on a Saturday?

Also, Nintendo has a new handheld gaming device coming out in the next 6-12 months (3DS) that can do 3D without glasses. That seems promising, the biggest turn off I have about a 3D TV is the requirement of glasses.

Oh and badger, your comment on my quote, I think that may have to do with the image being produced from a video game versus a television signal and the way it's processed.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2010, 10:14 PM
I can't do 3D. My eyes go all buggy when I watch 3D movies at the theater.

badger
7/12/2010, 10:21 PM
Also, Nintendo has a new handheld gaming device coming out in the next 6-12 months (3DS) that can do 3D without glasses. That seems promising, the biggest turn off I have about a 3D TV is the requirement of glasses.

Oh and badger, your comment on my quote, I think that may have to do with the image being produced from a video game versus a television signal and the way it's processed.

NP wants the Nintendo 3DS in the worst way because of some of the titles already announced... which are actually all games that he already played, except now in 3D. I told him that he's allowed to get one :D

yeah, i think you're right on the image process thingie.

as for best buy associates, NP and I avoid best buy for this reason. we're just in the market for a new TV, so we were looking at prices. our mistake even entering the store :(

sooner59
7/13/2010, 12:01 AM

iPhone Episode V: The Apple Strikes Back?

http://www.cnet.com.au/story_media/339289666/photos-star-wars-iphone-running-vista-wimax_2.jpg

Leroy Lizard
7/13/2010, 02:48 AM
"I'm waiting for 3-D television, that's why!"

-- Ralph Kramden, explaining to Alice why he won't buy her a new television.

GKeeper316
7/13/2010, 06:05 AM
This. Also, I have no desire for an overpriced crappy tv.
As far as pushy associates, somewhere around the second or third "can I help you" my response changes from "no thank you" to "get stepping *******". I'm a delight:D

"Can I help you boys with something?"

"No, thank you, sir... We're just here to break stuff."

Beavis and Butt-head.

badger
7/13/2010, 08:31 AM
"Can I help you boys with something?"

"No, thank you, sir... We're just here to break stuff."

Beavis and Butt-head.

That movie is totally on Netflix Insta-que. We watched it one night that we needed stupid-funny humor. It was awesome, heh heh. Awesome.

SoonerAtKU
7/13/2010, 09:18 AM
I think the best thing about it is the price drops I expect to see on LED TVs. Gimme!

sooner ngintunr
7/13/2010, 07:30 PM
I just went and bought the thinnest TV I could find. We are refacing the fireplace and I'm gonna hang the TV there.

It streams internet, 240 hz, 1 inch thick, hangs like a picture not a TV, LED. It just happens to be 3D capable. The 3D were not much more than the regular LED, I didn't want to be kicking myself in a couple of years when HBO 3D, ESPN 3D etc etc come out.

IMO 3D Football games would be off the hook!!!! 1080p 3D? whats not to like.

Samsung 55 inch, I can hardly wait. My old TV is an old school 52 inch projection that is 7 years old, nice, but doesn't compare to the Samsung.

MR2-Sooner86
7/13/2010, 08:35 PM

I'm waiting for interactive TV. No screen just a cord that plugs into your cerebral cortex.

That or Playstation 9 :D
_rSchSyYdH4&feature

85Sooner
7/14/2010, 10:48 AM
I think the best thing about it is the price drops I expect to see on LED TVs. Gimme!

Keep waiting. The manufacturers have produced only 25% of what they normally do. Most of the TV's will be bundled with dvd players, small sound systems etc.... Add that to the huge shortages created by heavy buying outside the US for the world cup and.........

3-D is a way the industry is separating itself from the computer world. That is why it is being pursued so heavily. Its the nest niche, Like stereo, PIP, two tuner PIP, flat screen........ et al that came before it.

3-d is just beginning and is not for everyone. It is for people who make viewing programming an event. Directv has 3 channels in 3-d. Our customers have gone "cool" at the bluyray movies in 3-d but when they see the television programs, concerts, nascar, world cup..... etc being broadcast they go WOW.

WE are selling a lot of them. Believe it or not, DLP gives the best effect. followed by plasma followed by LED.

Samsung, released theirs first followed by Pani. Sony is just now hitting the market and again seems to have won the day.

Each brands glasses are proprietary however there is a company getting ready to release some glasses that will work with all brands.
You will see progressions from here on out regarding 3-d until they get to the point that glasses are no longer needed.

The biggest piece of news on the AV front IMO is that people are now sick and tired of paying 100+ bucks a month for the crappy programming that is provided by ALL of the providers. Outside of Live sports and Live News, a lot of folks are dumping their cable subscriptions in lieu of hulu, netflix streaming etc..... I have alot of companies who have dumped but plan to resubscribe when football starts.

badger
7/14/2010, 11:00 AM
The biggest piece of news on the AV front IMO is that people are now sick and tired of paying 100+ bucks a month for the crappy programming that is provided by ALL of the providers. Outside of Live sports and Live News, a lot of folks are dumping their cable subscriptions in lieu of hulu, netflix streaming etc..... I have alot of companies who have dumped but plan to resubscribe when football starts.

lol - when ESPN announced that partnership with Xbox Live, a lot of internet buzz was to dump cable and just get your sports fix on Xbox.

:D NP and I will test it to see how it works this season and report back any findings if any of you all are interested in dumping all programming except sports

Ike
7/14/2010, 11:20 AM
You will see progressions from here on out regarding 3-d until they get to the point that glasses are no longer needed.

Physically, I don't see how they'll be able to do it without glasses or some sort of eyewear. You need to get each eye to see a slightly different image to create the 3D effect, and the way to do that is to actually project 2 different images on the screen and filter out the wrong one just before the eyes (glasses). I highly doubt that they will be able to do it without glasses. I think that's just a line they are throwing out there to try and encourage more early adopters.

badger
7/14/2010, 11:29 AM
Physically, I don't see how they'll be able to do it without glasses or some sort of eyewear. You need to get each eye to see a slightly different image to create the 3D effect, and the way to do that is to actually project 2 different images on the screen and filter out the wrong one just before the eyes (glasses). I highly doubt that they will be able to do it without glasses. I think that's just a line they are throwing out there to try and encourage more early adopters.

NP and I will also be testing the Nintendo 3DS for you all and will report back any findings once it gets released :D

Ike
7/14/2010, 11:33 AM
NP and I will also be testing the Nintendo 3DS for you all and will report back any findings once it gets released :D

I should note...there are ways to do it...but they would all require very precise viewing conditions. Like being within a certain range of the screen, or only having one person watching.

In which cases, it will be even less like a TV than glasses-based 3D TVs.

GottaHavePride
7/14/2010, 01:50 PM
I can't do 3D. My eyes go all buggy when I watch 3D movies at the theater.

Neither can my girlfriend. And I heard there was an article in the Wichita paper the other day saying that if you can't watch 3D movies it's a possible indicator of a few vision problems you might have. I don't have the article in front of me, though.

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2010, 02:07 PM
I have more than "a few" vision problems :D. My prescription is like -5.75 diopters or something. Even my contacts are coke bottle bottoms.