PDA

View Full Version : Holy Water

StoopTroup
7/11/2010, 12:29 PM
I guess I need to state a few rules...I guess you never think about these things until you see it happen.

Please understand that if you go into a Church with these....they aren't for bathing or soaking your bandana in and wiping yourself down.

After certain events at our Church today...it looks like we may have to lock up the Baptismal and install some new dispensors. :O

It's hard to tell if it was intentional or just a case of an indigent man with mental illness however the dispenser at our Church was violated and is in need of cleaning. It's my understanding that there are certain rules that must be followed in disposal of contaminated Holy Water.

In Catholicism, holy water, as well as water used during the washing of the priest's hands at mass, is not allowed to be disposed of in regular plumbing. Roman Catholic churches will usually have a special basin (a Sacrarium) that leads directly into the ground for the purpose of proper disposal. A hinged lid is kept over the holy water basin to distinguish it from a regular sink basin, which is often just beside it. Items that contain holy water are separated, drained of the holy water, and then washed in a regular manner in the adjacent sink

Holy water fonts have been identified as a potential source of bacterial and viral infection. Bacteriologists found staphylococci, streptococci, coli bacilli, Loeffler's bacillus, and other bacteria in samples of holy water taken from a church in Sassari, Italy in the late 1800s. More recently, in a study performed in 1995, thirteen samples were taken when a burn patient acquired a bacterial infection after exposure to holy water. The samples were shown to have a "wide range of bacterial species," some of which could cause infection in humans. During the swine flu epidemic of 2009, Bishop John Steinbock of Fresno, California recommended that "[h]oly water should not be in the fonts" due to fear of spreading infections. Also in response to the swine flu, an automatic, motion-detecting holy water dispenser was invented and installed in an Italian church.

3M5OpJN5dzg

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2010, 03:14 PM
This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by StoopTroup.

AlbqSooner
7/11/2010, 03:56 PM
This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by StoopTroup.

Your Einstienian insight never cease to amaze me.

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2010, 04:27 PM
Your Einstienian insight never cease to amaze me.

Oooga booga booga! Booga booga booga!

StoopTroup
7/11/2010, 04:39 PM
It never seems very odd to see someone act out of the ordinary in places like a message board but to see them do it in a Church really catches you off guard. It's not what you regularly expect to see when you take your Family to a place of worship and good will towards men.

Around here I understand why even lizards will poop in their own drinking water.

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2010, 05:13 PM
Is that another PSA?

AlbqSooner
7/11/2010, 07:37 PM
Oooga booga booga! Booga booga booga!

Sorry dude, I ain't bilingual.

C&CDean
7/11/2010, 07:41 PM
My one and only Holy Water story:

I'm getting hitched for the first time. Way back in the day. She's Catholic. We go into the church for Engaged Encounter, all the people are stopping and dipping in this bucket of water. I go "is it a drinking fountain?" She goes "STFU fool, it's Holy Water." I go "do you drink it?" She goes "you're such an idiot." 10 years later, I divorced her stupid ***.

StoopTroup
7/11/2010, 08:15 PM
Lol

yermom
7/11/2010, 10:50 PM
Holy water fonts have been identified as a potential source of bacterial and viral infection. Bacteriologists found staphylococci, streptococci, coli bacilli, Loeffler's bacillus, and other bacteria in samples of holy water taken from a church in Sassari, Italy in the late 1800s. More recently, in a study performed in 1995, thirteen samples were taken when a burn patient acquired a bacterial infection after exposure to holy water. The samples were shown to have a "wide range of bacterial species," some of which could cause infection in humans. During the swine flu epidemic of 2009, Bishop John Steinbock of Fresno, California recommended that "[h]oly water should not be in the fonts" due to fear of spreading infections. Also in response to the swine flu, an automatic, motion-detecting holy water dispenser was invented and installed in an Italian church.

um, it doesn't sound very holy

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2010, 11:35 PM
Glad I'm Protestant.

StoopTroup
7/12/2010, 10:52 AM
um, it doesn't sound very holy

It's not. People especially bandanna wearing people are funky.