PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Rankings: Nos. 1-5

sendbaht
7/10/2010, 04:55 PM
Yes old news, yes it's was posted a while back, but......................

do you EVER really get tired of reading this?

We know OU is number 1. We know that most school think they are number 1 and they are I am sure in their hearts, but, WE ARE NUMBER 1.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

oudavid1
7/10/2010, 06:58 PM
I never get tired of it

Eielson
7/10/2010, 07:24 PM
Tulsa is #64...just ahead of #65 Oklahoma State. :D

VA Sooner
7/10/2010, 07:26 PM
I'm never tired of it either.

DominoMaximo
7/10/2010, 08:06 PM
What is even better is that in the article it stated, "We didn't even count the fact that Oklahoma owns the longest win streak in FBS history (47) or leads the nation with a .765 winning percentage since World War II."

Sabanball
7/10/2010, 08:58 PM
On one hand you guys think ESPN is in love with Alabama and the SEC...on the other you think they don't even have the sanity of mind to include the most storied program in the South in their top 5 list of most prestigious programs--and for that matter no one from the SEC, and only two teams east of the Mississippi River. Which is it?

picasso
7/10/2010, 09:37 PM
On one hand you guys think ESPN is in love with Alabama and the SEC...on the other you think they don't even have the sanity of mind to include the most storied program in the South in their top 5 list of most prestigious programs--and for that matter no one from the SEC, and only two teams west of the Mississippi River. Which is it?

Well this is a historical reference. If we were just talking current then it would be an SEC stroke fest.

PDXsooner
7/10/2010, 09:43 PM
On one hand you guys think ESPN is in love with Alabama and the SEC...on the other you think they don't even have the sanity of mind to include the most storied program in the South in their top 5 list of most prestigious programs--and for that matter no one from the SEC, and only two teams west of the Mississippi River. Which is it?

Any OU fan that says ESPN doesn't like them is simply delusional. On the other hand, it was nice to see Alabama back on the national scene when Saban got here (like 3 years ago) after what seemed like 15 or 20 years. Don't get too high on your horse.

Tigeman
7/10/2010, 09:48 PM
And it's a nice little pat on the a$$ that * isn't even in the top 5 and thug U barely made top 10 cut! :D

Theskipster
7/11/2010, 10:08 AM
on the other you think they don't even have the sanity of mind to include the most storied program in the South in their top 5 list of most prestigious programs--and for that matter no one from the SEC, and only two teams east of the Mississippi River. Which is it?

Top 5 storied programs don't have to go around making up national titles to claim.

KantoSooner
7/12/2010, 01:05 PM
I am kind of amazed that Bama was not in the top 5. And that ND was. Notre Dame's glory years were largely done when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the flying wedge disappeared as a college football terror weapon. And they have definitely not been worth dried dog snot for most of the last 20 years. So how does Bear Bryant's team not get more love?
Roll Tide!

SoonerBacker
7/12/2010, 01:17 PM
I am kind of amazed that Bama was not in the top 5. And that ND was. Notre Dame's glory years were largely done when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the flying wedge disappeared as a college football terror weapon. And they have definitely not been worth dried dog snot for most of the last 20 years. So how does Bear Bryant's team not get more love?
Roll Tide!

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I certainly hope that was an attempt at sarcasm!

sooner n houston
7/12/2010, 02:13 PM
The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I certainly hope that was an attempt at sarcasm!

Ever seen animal house?

Sabanball
7/12/2010, 07:27 PM
Roll Tide!

Anyone that thinks Bama is not one of the top 5 programs of all time, is either delusional or totally ignorant of college football history--or both. Like you guys, our tradition stands on its own and takes second place to nobody. Sure, we've had our ups and downs just like you guys have. But over time we've been CONSISTENT--as have the Sooners.

Thanks for the love, KS. What many on this thread are evidently too young to know or conveniently forget is that even if you throw out all our 'disputed' NC's, we still have 7 AP NC's--which is the ultimate gold standard to OU fans that love ribbing us about our trophy case full of awards that other organizations gave to us, and all a lot of us like myself even claim. Ummm...me thinks that's good enough to rank us as one of the top 5 programs of all time, right along with your program. Just sayin'...

ictsooner7
7/12/2010, 07:59 PM
I'm stunned that Nebraska is 5th. They must have read that over the last year and decided they are the big swinging ...., well you know, in the conference. Good luck getting hosed in Ann Arbor and Columbus year in and year out, it will make what happened to us at Oregon look like a golf match.

Theskipster
7/13/2010, 09:22 AM
And one of those Bama AP NCs was so horribly wrong that the AP changed when it voted so that kind of mistake wouldn't happen again. But you still claim it.

Alabama does take second place to OU. OU doesn't have to claim NCs that were awarded from polls that didn't even exist until years later. If Bama was really on OU's level, Bama wouldn't be so insecure that they have to make things up to make them look better.

cheezyq
7/13/2010, 01:26 PM
What is even better is that in the article it stated, "We didn't even count the fact that Oklahoma owns the longest win streak in FBS history (47) or leads the nation with a .765 winning percentage since World War II."

Then they qualify their rankings by making clear they're PREFERRED choice for #1 by saying, "If you altered our points system such that it did not include any points for best conference records or conference title game bonuses, USC would edge Oklahoma for the top spot by 11 points."

They couldn't just let the list stand on its un-biased merits, they had to make sure to get the USC promotion engine rolling.

Funny, though, how those rankings will be altered in the next go-round with all the USC punishments and sanctions. They'll have to remove the fake AP title and the BCS title, a whole slew of wins, and deduct for the NCAA penalties. Plus, USC stands to suffer the next few seasons as well. It puts us WAY ahead at #1, and brings OSU closer to #2.

cheezyq
7/13/2010, 01:48 PM
Any OU fan that says ESPN doesn't like them is simply delusional. On the other hand, it was nice to see Alabama back on the national scene when Saban got here (like 3 years ago) after what seemed like 15 or 20 years. Don't get too high on your horse.

It's not that ESPN doesn't like OU, it's that certain markets ALWAYS get preferential coverage. In some ways, it makes sense. In other ways, it's completely stupid. But mainly, it's annoying as hell, because they brand themselves as "the worldwide leader in sports" while largely ignoring franchises that matter and focusing on the Yankees/Red Sox/Lakers/USC, etc. just because they exist in larger markets.

They sit there and create a ranking system that puts OU at the top of the list of greatest football universities, but when it's time to sit in front of a television camera and talk about football, they ignore OU (and countless others) and promote UT and even Notre Dame and other lesser programs, even during an OU broadcast, no less, simply because of TV ratings. They're a sellout corporation that only gives a crap about ratings, not actual sports.

That's why we hate ESPN - not because they're "out to get us" or "they hate us" - but because they represent everything midwest residents hate about the coasts. The blatant coastal arrogance, the selling out to TV ratings, and the perception that we're all idiots and completely irrelevant here in the midwest.

goingoneight
7/13/2010, 03:02 PM
On one hand you guys think ESPN is in love with Alabama and the SEC...on the other you think they don't even have the sanity of mind to include the most storied program in the South in their top 5 list of most prestigious programs--and for that matter no one from the SEC, and only two teams east of the Mississippi River. Which is it?

I know this is probably stemmed from one of my posts. So I'll clarify what I meant by "I'm surprised ESPN hasn't jumped on the 'Alabama's's the greatest team EVAR!' bandwagon yet.

While everyone outside of Florida was sick of the Tebow lovefest, let us not forget that each and every year, the media has to find some way, some theory that someone is the greatest of all time. Need I remind you of the following love-fests:

Tim Tebow "greatest player of all time"
Vince Young "zomg he beat USC all by himself!"
USC and the "three-Pete"
Reggie Bush... "best RB in CFB history?!?"
Miami... greatest win streak of all time... Errr... right?
Bobby Bowden builds greatest run in CFB history from scratch FSU program!

Honorable mention:
Boise State... "Biggest upset in sports history?"
Ohio State/Michigan... "greatest rivalry sports has to offer?"

as if to say CFB just isn't exciting and we need to play it up to the extreme.

Octavian
7/13/2010, 03:07 PM
this is what's crazy....

Through the decades: Through 1958: 1st | 1968: 1st | 1978: 1st | 1988: 1st | 1998: 1st

There actually is only one...

Mad Dog Madsen
7/13/2010, 03:21 PM
Anyone that thinks Bama is not one of the top 5 programs of all time, is either delusional or totally ignorant of college football history--or both. Like you guys, our tradition stands on its own and takes second place to only the Oklahoma Sooners. Sure, we've had our ups and downs just like you guys have. But over time we've been CONSISTENT--as have the Sooners.

Thanks for the love, KS. What many on this thread are evidently too young to know or conveniently forget is that even if you throw out all our 'disputed' NC's, we still have 7 AP NC's--which is the ultimate gold standard to OU fans that love ribbing us about our trophy case full of awards that other organizations gave to us, and all a lot of us like myself even claim. Ummm...me thinks that's good enough to rank us as one of the top 5 programs of all time, right along with your program. Just sayin'...

NIIICE!!! :D

SoonerBacker
7/13/2010, 03:40 PM
Ever seen animal house?

Nope. But the reference has definately cleared things up....
Thanks

MiccoMacey
7/13/2010, 03:49 PM
Anyone that thinks Bama is not one of the top 5 programs of all time, is either delusional or totally ignorant of college football history--or both. Like you guys, our tradition stands on its own and takes second place to nobody. Sure, we've had our ups and downs just like you guys have. But over time we've been CONSISTENT--as have the Sooners.

Werd. To Big Berd.

Have to give it up to Alabama...they have been just as good for just as long as anybody else.

Eielson
7/13/2010, 05:49 PM
Anyone that thinks Bama is not one of the top 5 programs of all time, is either delusional or totally ignorant of college football history--or both.

So what you're trying to say is that it's an outrage that you guys were rated #6 instead of #5?

MR2-Sooner86
7/13/2010, 09:19 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA I love the comments.

All top 5 are great and interchangeable..... .but one thing here is great....To all the Longhorn fans, do you see your team in the top 5??? NO, quit acting like you are the greatest program in history when you've won 1 national title in the past 30 years and that was literally done by one player, Vince Young. Longhorns arent in the same league as these teams but act like they've won ten national titles.

Sabanball
7/17/2010, 11:29 PM
And one of those Bama AP NCs was so horribly wrong that the AP changed when it voted so that kind of mistake wouldn't happen again. But you still claim it.

Alabama does take second place to OU. OU doesn't have to claim NCs that were awarded from polls that didn't even exist until years later. If Bama was really on OU's level, Bama wouldn't be so insecure that they have to make things up to make them look better.

Oh.., you mean like 1985, skipster? Miami beat you like a yard dog that year in your HOUSE, knocked out your starting qb for the season, and yet you CLAIM a NC for that season because it was awarded by the AP? Tell you what, we'll give up the 1978 trophy if you will give up that one. Would that make your little fe-fe's better?

BTW, using your retarded math, we still have 6 AP NC's. I'd say that is still good for being in the top 5.

Sabanball
7/17/2010, 11:30 PM
So what you're trying to say is that it's an outrage that you guys were rated #6 instead of #5?

No. It's an outrage we were rated 6 instead of 2nd or 3rd.

ccmike9
7/18/2010, 12:57 AM
No. It's an outrage we were rated 6 instead of 2nd or 3rd.

I must say I agree with you

Salt City Sooner
7/18/2010, 01:50 PM
Oh.., you mean like 1985, skipster? Miami beat you like a yard dog that year in your HOUSE, knocked out your starting qb for the season, and yet you CLAIM a NC for that season because it was awarded by the AP? Tell you what, we'll give up the 1978 trophy if you will give up that one. Would that make your little fe-fe's better?

BTW, using your retarded math, we still have 6 AP NC's. I'd say that is still good for being in the top 5.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Bama's 1964 title, when Bama lost their bowl game to Texas, while Arkansas finished #2 w/ a Texas win on their resume'. They decided to wait until after the bowls in '65 (before going back to the pre-bowl vote for the '66 & '67 seasons) to crown their champion. Ironically, Bama won that title too.

Thing is, if one is going to diss Bama's '64 title due to the bowl loss, then (if they're fair) they also have to do the same to OU's 1950 title due to the bowl loss to Kentucky.

It's a push as far as I'm concerned.

Sooner04
7/18/2010, 01:53 PM

Well, Miami shouldn't have lost two games. We won the UPI poll that year too.

A unanimous national title. Just the way we like it here at the University of Oklahoma. And no, we don't build statues for the Dunkel Index.

The '41 title for Alabamuh is the one that's bupkus.

picasso
7/18/2010, 05:33 PM
Well, Miami shouldn't have lost two games. We won the UPI poll that year too.

A unanimous national title. Just the way we like it here at the University of Oklahoma. And no, we don't build statues for the Dunkel Index.

The '41 title for Alabamuh is the one that's bupkus.

And we beat a very frickin' good Penn State team in our bowl game which was the last game of the season, believe it or not.

Eielson
7/18/2010, 05:45 PM
deleted

PDXsooner
7/18/2010, 06:01 PM

Having a loss during the season doesn't make a national title bunk.

Theskipster
7/19/2010, 01:33 PM

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1508/50smh.gif

Sooner04
7/19/2010, 04:31 PM
And we beat a very frickin' good Penn State team in our bowl game which was the last game of the season, believe it or not.
Yep. And that Penn State team didn't lose a game the next year either.