PDA

View Full Version : 2010 outlook from Opposingviews.com

DominoMaximo
7/10/2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2010-ncaa-football-preview-oklahoma-sooners

Does the person know what the heck he is talking about?

Since I'm an accountant, let's start with the negatives. The biggest weaknesses this year are QB and the defensive secondary.

Yes Landry is hot and cold but you can attribute that to home and road games and 1st time starting QB not expecting to be the go to guy last year.

I would have figured maybe the offensive line being the weakness, but not Landry or the secondary.

The games I am highly interested in this year are at Cincy, Texas, and at Mizzou!

OUTrumpet
7/10/2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2010-ncaa-football-preview-oklahoma-sooners

Since I'm an accountant, let's start with the negatives. The biggest weaknesses this year are QB and the defensive secondary.

Yes Landry is hot and cold but you can attribute that to home and road games and 1st time starting QB not expecting to be the go to guy last year.

I still believe Landry's problems were dependent on the offensive line being able to hold. If he was able to set up and throw, he was excellent.

When he wasn't able to get comfortable in the pocket, mostly due to us playing musical chairs with the o-line, he had difficulty setting and throwing, mostly because he was concentrating on the blitz. Most of the games where the offense struggled he was trying to throw with just his arm, which greatly affected his accuracy.

The games where the o-line played well, he played well. If our o-line can stay healthy, I think he has a phenomenal year. Remember, he passed for like 3100 yards as a freshman. That's more than Bradford. He also had more TDs than Bradford. With less of a running game to work with.

DominoMaximo
7/10/2010, 08:02 PM
I still believe Landry's problems were dependent on the offensive line being able to hold. If he was able to set up and throw, he was excellent.

When he wasn't able to get comfortable in the pocket, mostly due to us playing musical chairs with the o-line, he had difficulty setting and throwing, mostly because he was concentrating on the blitz. Most of the games where the offense struggled he was trying to throw with just his arm, which greatly affected his accuracy.

The games where the o-line played well, he played well. If our o-line can stay healthy, I think he has a phenomenal year. Remember, he passed for like 3100 yards as a freshman. That's more than Bradford. He also had more TDs than Bradford. With less of a running game to work with.

OUTrumpet I agree with everything you stated! Last year I hated and then loved him and then hated him and then loved him. I think it is a culmination of numerous factors, but the biggest being the offensive line.

OU's offensive line has to be able to block better in order for us to run the ball more effectively this season. A good running game takes some pressure off the QB and that will help Landry tremendously.

I really cannot wait for this season to start!!!

XingTheRubicon
7/10/2010, 08:12 PM
LJ might have some improved targets...hearing good things about the incoming WR's.

sick grab by one of our newby WR's (Metoyer)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1613/metwj.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/metwj.jpg/)

yermom
7/10/2010, 10:06 PM
^^^^ :eek:

Landry with 1st team snaps in the preseason and a year under his belt should be fine, if not great

only frosh with better stats at OU is one Sam Bradford

Breadburner
7/10/2010, 10:47 PM
Quarter-Back is the least of our worries......

AlbqSooner
7/11/2010, 08:07 AM
QB is a position where players typically make the most progress between their first and second years. I am very comfortable with Landry.

StoopTroup
7/11/2010, 08:41 AM
It took 4 Seasons for me to be comfortable with Jason White. I think quite a bit of him now but honestly...I still don't have one autograph from him. I have a Nate Hybl Autograph though. Dude led us to a Rose Bowl Trophy too. Landry helped put a Sun Bowl Trophy in the Switzer Center as a Freshman. I see more Trophies coming our way with him at the helm of our offense.

yermom
7/11/2010, 04:57 PM
i have to admit, i didn't think JW would finish the season before the 2003 season started

give him a defense that gives up no points in national championship games and he'd have two rings

goingoneight
7/12/2010, 12:07 PM
I remember Al Eschback interviewing JW about a year or so ago. They were talking about everything from his playing days to comparing him and Bradford. He said after all of his surgeries, he got a lot of free passes from Stoops and Co. in the same way any proven starter gets with Stoops. He said when it came time to train his butt off for the Titans, his knees just hurt too much after being put through a lot of the same conditioning EVERYONE on hand got there. I'm guessing what he meant was that in the aftermath of two surgeries and a surprising Heisman Trophy, he never had to run bleachers, leg presses, etc. that Tennessee required it's players to go through. I can see that. It's a big gamble... put your guy in a colored jersey, and he never gets hit hard enough to practice getting back up ala Bradford/McCoy/etc. Go all out and you end up hurting a guy in practice ala Gresham.

Soonerntxs
7/14/2010, 08:05 AM
I've followed LJ since I saw him play in Artesia; funny story: I went to some training in Artesia, NM and was missing my SOONERS so bad that I decided to go watch local HS ball. I watched as a young QB tore apart a D and launched a 21pt. lead in the first 12min of the 1st half; I was WOWED and thought to myself, I'd like to see this kid at OU. Several years later, while in Lubbock, I sat next to this kid that I thought I recognized from RIVALS, I asked if his name happened to be Landry Jones; sure enough, it was. We spoke prior to the game and I asked if I could get his autograph for my son and be the first Sooner fan to get it, he looked at me like I was crazy but politely signed my TT/OU ticket stub and even took a photo with me. He was a very humble kid and spoke about wanting to just get up to campus and learn all he could. We lost the game to TT that night and LJ went on to become our QB. last year, following the Sun Bowl, I got a chance to get another autoghaph and thanked him for the win. I was also able to notice that, he had not changed much, and that he wanted to do more for OU and the fans, he wanted to be better...LJ, has what it takes and I have faith he will not fail. I now look forward to getting my next autograph from the 2010 #8 NC OU QB. Best of luck! and as always, BOOMER SOONER!

gaylordfan1
7/14/2010, 08:46 AM
The only 2 things I have heard of people knocking him about are his 15 int last season and his TV/Radio interviews..... I personally chalk both of them up to him being a freshman. I have faith in the kid. I expect him to progress on and off the field this year. He is so laid back in demeanor that people think that he doesn't care. I just think he is laid back. Which is actually a great trait for a QB to have. We will just have to see how he handles the pressure this year. I only hope he opens his eyes to other receivers and doesn't hone in on Broyles every play. Not that he had any other choice last year.

IronHorseSooner
7/14/2010, 09:09 AM
The only 2 things I have heard of people knocking him about are his 15 int last season and his TV/Radio interviews..... I personally chalk both of them up to him being a freshman.

First, the latter: I could give a rat's arse about interview skills. People who are dissecting that need to get a life.

Second, the former: Of those, five came in one game where he had about zero time to throw because Suh was making OUr OL (Stephen Good, in particular) his own personal beyonces! On the pick that led to the only TD of the game, Amakamura yanked Tennell's jersey to get the INT. That being said, if he has the time to throw, he's going to light people up.

This guy has always had talent. He was the starting QB in the All American Game (don't remember which one) before he got there, and was throwing deep strikes to Julio Jones. BTW, the starting RB in that game was Calhoun.

OUMallen
7/14/2010, 09:13 AM
i have to admit, i didn't think JW would finish the season before the 2003 season started

give him a defense that gives up no points in national championship games and he'd have two rings

The defense only gave up 14 against LSU and we should still have a ring there. :(

MR2-Sooner86
7/17/2010, 12:55 PM
This guy has always had talent.

Agreed and I know people slam LJ but does anybody have faith in Heupel? I mean look what he did with Bradford and shaping him. Not saying LJ can do everything Bradford did but is it impossible to say he could give him a good run?

gaylordfan1
7/17/2010, 05:19 PM
^ I totally agree. I can only see the upside of LJ being under the wing of Heupel for an entire offseason as a starter.

IronHorseSooner
7/17/2010, 09:15 PM
I just think sometimes people forget the natural talent that The Stache has. He was actually recruited as a mobile QB. He has a very live arm. When he was given time against Stanford, he was hitting strikes to most everybody. Look, he had problems with NEB. Heck, Colt McCoy had problems with NEB, and he's a darn good QB. When a guy like Suh is terrorizing your OL, there really isn't much you can do. I give Landry a pass against NEB, because he had about zero time to throw. He also had the same amount of passing TDs in the last RRR as Colt did, and was every bit up to the challenge. It is like Johnathan Nelson said that The Stache will not be a big area of concern this year.

BoulderSooner79
7/18/2010, 01:06 AM
^this. That NU defense transformed Heisman Colt McCoy into Heisman runner-up Colt McCoy. It made our entire offense look silly; not just LJ. And it wasn't just Suh as their secondary was all over our receivers - even legally sometimes. Our offense was a half-beat away from being good last year. We couldn't do much against a good D, but we over-whelmed weak defenses. Compare that to the NU offense which struggled mightily against Baylor and Iowa State. If we make the usual improvements of experience, we should take the next step and stand up to better defenses this season.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/18/2010, 09:48 AM
LJ might have some improved targets...hearing good things about the incoming WR's.

sick grab by one of our newby WR's (Metoyer)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1613/metwj.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/metwj.jpg/)

Metoyer is a class of 2011 commit, so let's hope that we needn't rely on him.